• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roman Polanski's Carnage (Foster, Winslet, Waltz, Reilly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRAILER

carnage-1.jpg

Directed by Roman Polanski. Stars Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Christoph Waltz and John C. Reilly. Based on Yasmina Reza's play God of Carnage.

Synopsis:
Tells the story of two sets of parents who decide to have a cordial meeting after their sons are involved in a schoolyard brawl.

carnage-polanskifacesFrench-full1.jpg

waltz-winslet-carnage2.JPG

winslet-waltz-carnage.JPG

foster-reilly-carnage1.JPG

waltz-foster-carnage.JPG

foster-reilly-carnage.JPG

reilly-waltz-carnage.JPG

Carnage hits theaters November 18th after playing Venice Film Festival and opening the New York Film Festival.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, what? He's still making movies? Didn't he got to jail for pedophilia or something?

SpaceBridge said:
I didnt know Polanski has a new movie coming out. Is there a trailer? A quick youtube search different bring up anything.

No trailer yet, soon probably since it debuts at Venice in just a few weeks.

Oblivion said:
Wait, what? He's still making movies? Didn't he got to jail for pedophilia or something?

ghostwritersmall.jpg

Watch it. Love it.

oatmeal

Banned
Expendable. said:
No trailer yet, soon probably since it debuts at Venice in just a few weeks.

ghostwritersmall.jpg

Watch it. Love it.

Is The Ghost Writer THAT good?

I almost saw it twice...but I was never all that interested ini t.

Polanksi is easily one of my favorite directors. His career is sprinkled with cinematic gems.

On a side note, Jodie Foster has aged pretty well.

Foster described Carnage as “kind of like Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, but a little funnier. There’s a lot of wit

Glad it is a black comedy, didn't know that beforehand.

oatmeal said:

It is just a really well done drama, nothing transcendent but proves Polanski clearly still has it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
oatmeal said:

I found it to be quite bad. It wasnt very thrilling for a thriller, the twists felt horribly contrived and the allusions to Tony Blair were rather painful especially by the end when everything starts to unravel. Though I am apparently in the minority since it has an 83% on Rottentomatoes so try it out and you may very well like it.

Cactus

Banned
Expendable. said:
Foster described Carnage as “kind of like Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, but a little funnier. There’s a lot of wit

Glad it is a black comedy, didn't know that beforehand.

It is just a really well done drama, nothing transcendent but proves Polanski clearly still has it.

Hmm, if it's anything remotely similar to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I'll definitely give it a chance.

Angry Fork

Expendable. said:
This. It's a great movie to watch when you want to see something new that's good, but don't expect quality along the lines of The Pianist. I wish he'd do another horror or detective/noir film (in the same vein as Chinatown).

Blader

Oblivion said:

man, where have you been for the last 30 years? He's probably more famous for ducking jail than for the pedophilia itself.

Quick

Banned
I didn't even think that that cast together would be possible. Foster, Winslet, Waltz, Reilly? Hot damn.

Definitely going to keep an eye on this.

Scullibundo said:
My ass will be in the seat for this.

Loved Ghost Writer, except for the silly ending.

yeah everything up to (and especially including) the note scene was brilliant.

But the ending was just throwaway conclusion.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Why you gotta be so silly with the naming, Hollywood?
John Carter of Mars, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, God of Carnage...all were much better titles than 'John Carter', 'Hugo' and 'Carnage'.

But yeah, looking forward to this quite a bit. Polanski's on a great run of films at the moment, and the material here is excellent.

icarus-daedelus said:
Nah, he fled the United States after he was convicted of drugging and raping a 13 year old. Various countries in Europe have been harboring him for quite a while under the excuse that he's an artist or some silly thing.

Personally I hope he gets run over by a bus someday.

I hope that a 13-year-old girl drugs and rapes him, for great justice. But, people will probably remember Repulsion before they remember the rape in a century or so; time tends to bury the man and bloom the art, unfortunately in cases like Polanski's.

Do you admire someone famous? Never meet them.

Talented people are often shitty human beings. In a weird sort of way, their immense talent absolves them of it.

Ezduo

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I hope that a 13-year-old girl drugs and rapes him, for great justice.
History suggests Polanski would probably enjoy this more than anything else.

Salsa

shut up about the pedo comments already, lets just watch the film and enjoy it, the man is a superb director, and the only thing about him that directly affects my life is his craft, dont give a shit about his personal life and i certainly wouldnt NOT watch a movie because of something the guy did.

Gets kinda tiresome to get this same discussion all the time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey did you guys know Roman Polanski violently raped a little girl, vaginally and anally and then fled from justice? And lived a life of celebrity and relative luxury? Because he did. So his art can fuck off.

Zeliard

There can be a distinction drawn between the work and the person. Someone can be a good director, actor, whatever and a human being who's done or said awful things. Mel Gibson's another example, albeit to a lesser extent.

Of course if the person disgusts you so thoroughly it even mires their work in your eyes, that's another matter, but I can usually separate the two. I frequently try to ignore personal lives of actors and such, mostly because I don't give a fuck, but also because it's largely irrelevant to my enjoyment of their work (and whoever they're working with).

Salsa

icarus-daedelus said:
True. I mean, there are millions of 13 year old girls out there, and only one Roman Polanski. Who cares if he raped a child and fled justice? He makes movies mang!

Don't you think this is a tad beyond having a salacious personal life? I sure as shit wouldn't pay money to support such a person's forays in life and I'm always a little surprised others would, but it is what it is I suppose.

I live in the real world where the only thing that would be noticeable regarding me not going to see his movies would be a matter of my attitude or principle about it, and i dont need to show that to anyone, not going to see a Polanski movie has no reflection whatsoever on what i think about Pedophiles. The movie makes -$5 if i dont go see it, nothing else. Id rather go and enjoy good cinema thank you very much.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Hey did you guys know Roman Polanski violently raped a little girl, vaginally and anally and then fled from justice? And lived a life of celebrity and relative luxury? Because he did. So his art can fuck off.
Should we start burning Céline's books as well?

Stinkles

He anally and vaginally raped a 13 year old girl and ruined her fucking life while he lived a life of wealth and celebrity. You want to give him money, go for it. Hitler made paintings people would like.

Mel Gibson isn't getting any more of my money either and his crimes pale in comparison.

Computer said:
Should we start burning Céline's books as well?

We shouldn't burn books of any kind. Not even Mein Kampf. Ever. But we shouldn't enable and support a pedophile rapist either.

(._.)

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I think he is jail now iirc

Stinkles

(._.) said:
I think he is jail now iirc

On 26 September 2009, Polanski was arrested while in Switzerland at the request of U.S. authorities.[68] He was kept in jail near Zurich for two months, then put under house arrest at his home in Gstaad while awaiting decision of appeals fighting extradition to the U.S.[69] On 12 July 2010 the Swiss rejected the U.S. request and instead declared him a "free man" and released him from custody, although all six of the original charges still remain pending in the U.S.[12]

Nope. Quite free. Making movies. Drinking champagne.

Salsa

You guys should stop buying tickets for movies with any of the actors Polanski hired after this whole thing happened. I mean they are working with a pedophile! why would i give Christoph Waltz money for his performance when he is making a movie under the direction of a pedophile! im not helping that guy, nono.

tl:dr

Directors and Actor's personal life =/= movie

Fry

It's not like we're giving him money so he can use it to rape another girl. I doubt he will ever do it again, so not to watch a movie because of something that happened in the past is pretty silly, in my opinion.

SalsaShark said:
You guys should stop buying tickets for movies with any of the actors Polanski hired after this whole thing happened. I mean they are working with a pedophile! why would i give Christoph Waltz money for his performance when he is making a movie under the direction of a pedophile! im not helping that guy, nono.

tl:dr

Directors and Actor's personal life =/= movie

It's just self righteous posturing. No one is defending Polanski. What he did was heinous, but it has zero to do with his filmmaking prowess. You're right. Why stop at boycotting films he directs? Why not boycott the actors that choose to work with him? Why not boycott the film companies that financed this film?

Zeliard

SalsaShark said:

Particularly boycott these nutty pedophile praisers Ewan McGregor, Kate Winslet and Jodie Foster (who also directed Mel Gibson recently!):

Co-star Ewan McGregor agrees, saying about Polanski that "he's a legend. . . I've never examined a director and the way that they work, so much before. He's brilliant, just brilliant, and absolutely warrants his reputation as a great director."

Co-stars Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet commented about Polanski's directing style. According to Foster, "He has a very, very definitive style about how he likes it done. He decides everything. He decided every lens. Every prop. Everything. It’s all him." Winslet adds that "Roman is one of the most extraordinary men I’ve ever met. The guy is 77 years old. He has an effervescent quality to him. He’s very joyful about his work, which is infectious. He likes to have a small crew, to the point that, when I walked on the set, my thought was, ‘My God, this is it?’”

If you're gonna draw the line somewhere, do you just limit it to the director? The people he's worked with? The people who praise him? Fund him? Because if no one chooses to work with him or fund him, he's not making movies, so they should be held accountable for propagating his luxurious lifestyle.

OuterWorldVoice said:
We shouldn't burn books of any kind. Not even Mein Kampf. Ever. But we shouldn't enable and support a pedophile rapist either.
Like it or not some people are capable of doing both extraordinary things and extraordinarily shitty things. Breaking the law doesn't negate the value of someone's work however, and enjoying their work doesn't make the audience complicit in their crime. Parading around your indignation doesn't make you any more moral than someone who actively enjoys Polanski films and is capable of separating an artist from their work.

Arcblade

Banned
Zeliard said:
Particularly boycott these nutty pedophile praisers Ewan McGregor, Kate Winslet and Jodie Foster (who also directed Mel Gibson recently!):

If you're gonna draw the line somewhere, do you just limit it to the director? The people he's worked with? The people who praise him? Fund him? Because if no one chooses to work with him or fund him, he's not making movies, so they should be held accountable for propagating his luxurious lifestyle.

I already boycott all of the above, barring the cow.

Foster is plain nuts as well being highly overrrated.

Ewan McGregor has all of the leading man charisma of Slow-poke Rodriguez without the gun gags and the plausible heterosexuality.

I draw the line well before supporting a person who drugged, then anally and vaginally raped a child, actually.

My ethical standards are funny that way.

Call me crazy.

Stinkles

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Like it or not some people are capable of doing both extraordinary things and extraordinarily shitty things. Breaking the law doesn't negate the value of someone's work however, and enjoying their work doesn't make the audience complicit in their crime. Parading around your indignation doesn't make you any more moral than someone who actively enjoys Polanski films and is capable of separating an artist from their work.

If Polanski had actually paid for his crime, this would be a different discussion. Let us stop fucking acting as if this is all in the past. He is WANTED for rape in the United States. And for fleeing. This is a rapist, a pedophile and a coward. And we are discussing him on a forum where you can be banned for mocking pro wrestling. So I am allowed to be indignant, and it's absolutely relevant to the discussion.

He is a piece of shit. Who makes movies. I even liked one of them. If you find it irritating that the conversation about Polanski gets derailed, then tough. It is the single most important aspect of his existence.

Somebody earlier in this thread conflates despising a child rapist with book burning. Jesus.

People sure do like watching films!

After spending several months under house arrest in Switzerland awaiting extradition to the USA, the Swiss government announced in July 2010 that they were turning down the extradition request after apparently coming across problems with the request and considering "national interests"; he is now free once again, making him a Karma Houdini.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RomanPolanski

Somebody earlier in this thread conflates despising a child rapist with book burning. Jesus.
I mentioned Céline because he was also a terrible person whose life and art sparked controversy, and burning books is a common method for boycotting writers. I just asked a question and you could easily have said yes or no (I wouldn't mind any of the two)- or just ignored it. I'm not sure what your mentioning Jesus means.

OuterWorldVoice said:
If Polanski had actually paid for his crime, this would be a different discussion. Let us stop fucking acting as if this is all in the past. He is WANTED for rape in the United States. And for fleeing. This is a rapist, a pedophile and a coward. And we are discussing him on a forum where you can be banned for mocking pro wrestling. So I am allowed to be indignant, and it's absolutely relevant to the discussion.

He is a piece of shit. Who makes movies. I even liked one of them. If you find it irritating that the conversation about Polanski gets derailed, then tough. It is the single most important aspect of his existence.

People sure do like watching films!

Jesus Christ. The world is capricious and cruel. Some people never pay for their crimes. Get over it. What is indignation going to solve? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom