• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roman Polanski's Carnage (Foster, Winslet, Waltz, Reilly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noshino

evil solrac v3.0 said:
yes but I want to see the courts work properly. and in this case it means handing a verdict for a crime committed.

Under the terms of the plea agreement, the court ordered Polanski to report to a state prison for a 90-day psychiatric evaluation, but granted a stay to allow him to complete his current project. Under the terms set by the court, he traveled to Europe to complete filming. Polanski returned to California and reported to Chino State Prison for the evaluation period, and was released after 42 days. Polanski's lawyers had the expectation that Polanski would get only probation at the subsequent sentencing hearing, with the probation officer, examining psychiatrist, and the victim all recommending against jail time. The documentary Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired alleges that things changed, after a conversation with LA Deputy District Attorney David Wells and the judge. Polanski's attorneys assert that the judge suggested to them that he would send the director to prison and order him deported"

It was agreed upon the multiple parties, but like it is mentioned above (and on the interview by the victim herself) the judge and DA were looking after themselves.

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
Yeah I just saw that, so yeah, no excuse even though we'll never truly know what exactly happened that day.

We know he drugged and raped a little girl in the ass that day. He admitted to it in court.

Noshino said:
It was agreed upon the multiple parties, but like it is mentioned above (and on the interview by the victim herself) the judge and DA were looking after themselves.

It wasn't. Polanski's lawyers claim it was, but the court records clearly state that Polanski and his attorney both knew, and verbally acknoledged that no deal existed, and he could very well be sentenced to more time at his actual sentencing date.

Go to TheSmokingGun.com and look it up. It's right there in writing with both Polanski and his lawyer answering the judge that they understood.

Computer said:
I have a question for everyone. Since Polanski will turn 78 in a few days, and chanses are he won't live much longer, will you watch his movies after he dies, or even pay for it?

Yeah, I plan to watch all of his movies eventually.

Pristine_Condition said:
We know he drugged and raped a little girl in the ass that day. He admitted to it in court.

It wasn't. Polanski's lawyers claim it was, but the court records clearly state that Polanski and his attorney both knew, and verbally acknoledged that no deal existed, and he could very well be sentenced to more time at his actual sentencing date.

Go to TheSmokingGun.com and look it up. It's right there in writing with both Polanski and his lawyer answering the judge that they understood.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that because he admitted it that it happened exactly the way it is said to have happened. I mean, don"t some people admit to being guilty sometimes because it might be a better deal for them, legally speaking?! (or because they are advised to plead guilty)

Matt

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
I may be wrong, but I don't think that because he admitted it that it happened exactly the way it is said to have happened. I mean, don"t some people admit to being guilty sometimes because it might be a better deal for them, legally speaking?! (or because they are advised to plead guilty)
Umm, the fact of the case are not in question. Where are you getting this from?

Zeliard

Seems silly to try and take some moral high ground simply because you aren't viewing his films in a movie theater or buying the DVD, yet still consuming them some other way. There's no meaningful distinction there; it should be all or nothing. If you can watch his films through an avenue that doesn't involve throwing whatever fraction of money his way, then you're admitting that you can separate work from personal life.

This has a lot less to do with "supporting Roman Polanski" by money or whatever means than drawing a general line between artistic output and personal life. I think the former should typically stand on its on unless there are parallels to be drawn between the two within the content (i.e. The Pianist and Polanski's past with the Holocaust).

I don't own any Polanski movie and haven't seen one in a theater, but I have enjoyed watching a variety of them over the years, and Polanski the fugitive doesn't really factor into the directorial work or any other aspect of the films.

Salsa

Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. You're right. God, this thread is so unfair to Polanski. I'm sure the child rapist deserves a thread devoted to discussing him without all the nasty child raping part.

Here's some suggestions for other threads on GAF:

-Adolph Hitler's Awesome Autobahn (No Holocaust Talk Please!)

-Was Chris Benoit the Greatest Wrestler of All Time? (no murder talk allowed)

-OJ Simpson's Greatest Touchdowns (YouTube Links Here!)

-The Art and Culture of The American Southern States (1780-1860) Appreciation Thread

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT A MOVIE

Noshino

Pristine_Condition said:

Are you talking about the same judge that was manipulating the case based on how he would look in the media?....

Because that's what many are claiming, including the victim herself....

ymmv

Banned
Computer said:
I have a question for everyone. Since Polanski will turn 78 in a few days, and chanses are he won't live much longer, will you watch his movies after he dies, or even pay for it?

I'll see his movies when he's still alive. Despite his age he'll hopefully make one or two more movies. What he did was despicable, but hey, he also made Rosemary's Baby, Chinatown and The Pianist. Since his victim has forgiven him years ago, there's not much to gain from putting Polanski in jail and I'd rather see him make more movies than waste his years in prison depriving the world of perhaps another masterpiece.

BTW I'm excited for Carnage. Great director and what a cast!

Noshino said:
Are you talking about the same judge that was manipulating the case based on how he would look in the media?....

Because that's what many are claiming, including the victim herself....

Polanski agreed to all these terms before he ever accused the judge of anything.

He only accused the judge of stuff after he fled because he realized the judge was actually going to do what the judge told him he might do, and which he and his lawyer previously acknowledged he was in the judge's power to do.

Noshino said:

The victims statements about the conduct of the court, especially after she has received an undisclosed cash settlement from Polanski with undisclosed terms, are immaterial.

The fact is, she still says he raped her as a child, and that has never been in dispute. Polanski has still never been punished for that crime according to the law. That is what is material here.

And did you listen to that interview? She's clearly kinda nuts, unfortunately. Probably because she was raped as a child. She says, it was bad, and she was raped, but she says it wasn't as bad as the prosecutor asking for extradition using SARCASM? SARCASM is worse than ANAL RAPE of a 13 year old? And her mom appreciated his note saying he was sorry? You think this woman is sane and what she has to say on the matter should be considered at this point?

I see that video and I think "Wow, Polanski fucked her up for life." And that saddens me greatly and makes me more angry that he's never paid for his crime.

And ultimately, that's where all the blame goes. To Polanski.

If he hadn't raped her, the Euro media wouldn't have labeled her a "lolita seductress" which fucked her up. It's his fault those newspaper stories were printed.

If Polanski hadn't raped her, there would be no "prosecutorial misconduct" or "grandstanding judges" or whatever bullshit excuses Polanski's lawyers have trotted out over the years. It's his fault there were prosecutors and judges involved in her life at all.

If he hadn't raped her and ran, this story wouldn't pop up everytime the man makes a movie, and she might have been able to get on with her life.

It's all his fault.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Polanski is a disgusting human being who I would love to see returned to the US for sentencing. He's also a great director, but I value a good and honest society more than cinema. I try my best to support him as little as possible.

Computer said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the US judicial system (especially when it's about serious crimes) prosecute on behalf of society, or the People or whatever, instead of the victim, so that the victim's wishes to drop the case are not taken into account?
Basically correct, yes. Victims' desires are irrelevant with criminal proceedings, but they often get to make a statement when it comes to sentencing, but that doesn't have to actually be taken into account. Hell, even that might be too much input from victims and their families.

Pristine_Condition said:

Bingo. This is the truth, no matter what lies and obfuscation Polanski and his friends have tried to spin since. It's all right there in the court record.

ymmv said:
Since his victim has forgiven him years ago, there's not much to gain from putting Polanski in jail and I'd rather see him make more movies than waste his years in prison depriving the world of perhaps another masterpiece.
He's spent decades flouting the US legal system and basic decency. There's always something to be gained from rectifying that, otherwise the system loses its credibility.

carnage-polanskifacesFrench-full1.jpg

Fuck Roman, lets just revel in how gross, corny & horrid this flyer is. "Hey, lets show a range of emotions from our actors, you know, acting". Ergh...

Rosemarys baby is a precursor to the real life act, in the movie, which i admit is a great movie a woman is drugged and raped by the devil. Dude needs help.

Mulberry

Fry8 said:
It's not like we're giving him money so he can use it to rape another girl. I doubt he will ever do it again, so not to watch a movie because of something that happened in the past is pretty silly, in my opinion.

Just because the man can make good movies doesn't make it ok to drug and rape a child. He will never see a dime of my money so he can continue to avoid a trial.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pristine_Condition said:
The victims statements about the conduct of the court, especially after she has received an undisclosed cash settlement from Polanski with undisclosed terms, are immaterial.

The fact is, she still says he raped her as a child, and that has never been in dispute. Polanski has still never been punished for that crime according to the law. That is what is material here.

And did you listen to that interview? She's clearly kinda nuts, unfortunately. Probably because she was raped as a child. She says, it was bad, and she was raped, but she says it wasn't as bad as the prosecutor asking for extradition using SARCASM? SARCASM is worse than ANAL RAPE of a 13 year old? And her mom appreciated his note saying he was sorry? You think this woman is sane and what she has to say on the matter should be considered at this point?

I see that video and I think "Wow, Polanski fucked her up for life." And that saddens me greatly and makes me more angry that he's never paid for his crime.

And ultimately, that's where all the blame goes. To Polanski.

If he hadn't raped her, the Euro media wouldn't have labeled her a "lolita seductress" which fucked her up. It's his fault those newspaper stories were printed.

If Polanski hadn't raped her, there would be no "prosecutorial misconduct" or "grandstanding judges" or whatever bullshit excuses Polanski's lawyers have trotted out over the years. It's his fault there were prosecutors and judges involved in her life at all.

If he hadn't raped her and ran, this story wouldn't pop up everytime the man makes a movie, and she might have been able to get on with her life.

It's all his fault.

Thank you. Although I am baffled that someone (the poster you're responding to) would do the mental gymnastics required to ignore the undisputed rape to even touch upon the court procedures. In defense of a child rapist. What is going on? Jesus.

Verendus

Banned
Fuck this guy.

I will not seperate a man from his art when that man is alive today, has escaped justice and lives a life of wealth and ease. I don't care about art. The crime he committed matters much more.

Yeah, the world is messed up. It's horrible. There isn't justice everywhere. There are plenty of things that go unpunished and many terrible crimes that sicken people. But this fucker is someone we keep in the spotlight, allow to continue his passion, and people continue to support his art. He's not in some downtrodden country but fucking France. A modern, western country.

modulaire

Finally a new movie from Polanski!! Can't wait to see it.

Rosemary's Baby was the first horror-movie I ever saw - so good and exciting.

Kinyou

Expendable. said:
ghostwritersmall.jpg

Watch it. Love it.
What kind of bothered me that the movie was supposed to take place in the U.S.A though it was incredible obvious that it was filmed in the Germany/Denmark/Sweden area.

If I'm being honest, I'll probably go see the movie multiple times, buy the Blu Ray, lend it out to my friends, and put it on my Best of 2011 list just to piss some of you off.

Bluth

ThisWreckage said:
If I'm being honest, I'll probably go see the movie multiple times, buy the Blu Ray, lend it out to my friends, and put it on my Best of 2011 list just to piss some of you off.

Congrats on supporting a child rapist!

jett

D-Member
I'll watch this movie despite thinking Polanski is an abominable piece of shit deserving of getting assfucked to death.

Wiktor

icarus-daedelus said:
see post #125
I saw it and it doesn't convince me. I don't see anything that terrible in his actions. Yes, he did a bad thing, but "OMG! Teh child rapist. He's such a monster" nonsense is overblown. THe girl was pretty much a cumdumpster for hollywood elite back then. Bassicaly her parents pimped her out to whoever had the power back then.
Polanski says it wasn't rape (as in..he forced her, statutory rape is pretty idiotic law construct) and I believe him. Especially since he never did something like this before or after.

Eric WK

Game-Biz said:
Seeing Polanski films makes people "child rapist supporters?"

Hahaha, fucking GAF.

Well I wouldn't go that far, but folks who don't watch his movies are clearly better people than those that do.

Blader

AdrianWerner said:
I saw it and it doesn't convince me. I don't see anything that terrible in his actions. Yes, he did a bad thing, but "OMG! Teh child rapist. He's such a monster" nonsense is overblown. THe girl was pretty much a cumdumpster for hollywood elite back then. Bassicaly her parents pimped her out to whoever had the power back then.
Polanski says it wasn't rape (as in..he forced her, statutory rape is pretty idiotic law construct) and I believe him. Especially since he never did something like this before or after.

Drugging and raping an underage girl doesn't strike you as a terrible action?

I'm not sure why I'm asking though, since you're putting the blame for it on her. :lol

Wiktor

Eric WK said:
Well I wouldn't go that far, but folks who don't watch his movies are clearly better people than those that do.
Indeed. And people who don't buy anything manufactured in China are clearly much better people than those who simply don't watch Polanski movies.

Dresden

AdrianWerner said:
I saw it and it doesn't convince me. I don't see anything that terrible in his actions. Yes, he did a bad thing, but "OMG! Teh child rapist. He's such a monster" nonsense is overblown.
It's not rape, it's rape-rape, amirite?

THe girl was pretty much a cumdumpster for hollywood elite back then.
It's always the girl's fault, she wouldn't have been drugged and raped if she wasn't such a slut.

Dude, are you serious?

Wiktor

Blader5489 said:
Drugging and raping an underage girl doesn't strike you as a terrible action?
I think it was terrible, just not "that terrible". People have been comparing him to Hitler and OJ Simpson in this thread, which is simply ridiculous. He did a very bad thing, but the fault isn't all on him and what he did doesn't earn him an opinion of a monster he gets from some people

Blader5489 said:
It's always the girl's fault, she wouldn't have been drugged and raped if she wasn't such a slut.

Dude, are you serious?
It's more of her parents fault. And yes I'm serious. People here post laughable stuff like "OMG! Her life was destroyed by him". Like she was some innocent child who was kidnapped, chained to the wall and then raped. This girl was screwed up long before Polanski laid his hands on her. It doesn't make what he did any less of a sin, but the effects of his actions aren't anywhere near as bad as people here claim them to be.

Sennorin

Banned
I feel like both sides arguing in here are partially wrong.

- Polanski is a great director and what he has done in the past shouldn´t be affected by his crime.

- However, he *did* rape a girl. He´s not a pedophile, since the girl was 13 and not 10, but he did rape her. Therefore, people should boycott all of his work he did *after* his crime. This is unacceptable. A man who committed a serious crime shouldn´t be supported afterwards.

I´m actually deeply disappointed that so many movie-fans in this thread defend Polanski under the disguise of "art" and such nonsense.

Wiktor

Sennorin said:
I feel like both sides arguing in here are partially wrong.

- Polanski is a great director and what he has done in the past shouldn´t be affected by his crime.

- However, he *did* rape a girl. He´s not a pedophile, since the girl was 13 and not 10, but he did rape her. Therefore, people should boycott all of his work he did *after* his crime. This is unacceptable. A man who committed a serious crime shouldn´t be supported afterwards.

I´m actually deeply disappointed that so many movie-fans in this thread defend Polanski under the disguise of "art" and such nonsense.
Watching Polanski movies is so bad, but you have no problems supporting regime that killed thousands of innocent people. Yay for hypocrisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom