• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roman Polanski's Carnage (Foster, Winslet, Waltz, Reilly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaka

AdrianWerner said:
I think it was terrible, just not "that terrible". People have been comparing him to Hitler and OJ Simpson in this thread, which is simply ridiculous. He did a very bad thing, but the fault isn't all on him and what he did doesn't earn him an opinion of a monster he gets from some people
Bull-fucking-shit!

Sennorin

Banned
AdrianWerner said:
you consider it ridiculous solely because it's exposes you as a hypocrite.

If we start boycotting whole countries then we have to boycott EVERYTHING. You think China is bad? Then you´re oblivious of all the other shit that´s going on in the world. Be it the US, Germany, England, France, Japan, etc.. Every government does enough shit to justify a boycott.

Comparing this to an individual that is proven to be a rapist is ludicrous.

Sennorin said:
I feel like both sides arguing in here are partially wrong.

- Polanski is a great director and what he has done in the past shouldn´t be affected by his crime.

- However, he *did* rape a girl. He´s not a pedophile, since the girl was 13 and not 10, but he did rape her. Therefore, people should boycott all of his work he did *after* his crime. This is unacceptable. A man who committed a serious crime shouldn´t be supported afterwards.

I´m actually deeply disappointed that so many movie-fans in this thread defend Polanski under the disguise of "art" and such nonsense.
Look it's not up to me whether this guy gets sent to jail or not. Not watching his film isn't gonna get him sent to jail. That's what the courts are for, and if you want him in jail then look at why he isn't in jail and do something about it. We're not "supporting" him, we're paying a guy to see his work of art.

Edit: Also may I refer you to Earl Cazone's post just a bit above mine for further clarification.

Post Number 91, Folks.

Pristine_Condition said:
Yeah. You're right. God, this thread is so unfair to Polanski. I'm sure the child rapist deserves a thread devoted to discussing him without all the nasty child raping part.

Here's some suggestions for other threads on GAF:

-Adolph Hitler's Awesome Autobahn (No Holocaust Talk Please!)

-Was Chris Benoit the Greatest Wrestler of All Time? (no murder talk allowed)

-OJ Simpson's Greatest Touchdowns (YouTube Links Here!)

-The Art and Culture of The American Southern States (1780-1860) Appreciation Thread
All right, lets break this post down since it seems to be causing some confusion.

Obviously, the first paragraph is clearly sarcastic take on the "separate the art from the man" sides annoyance that Polanski's crimes are routinely brought up in any thread involving the director.

Following this are some suggestions of threads detailing great works by people who have done some horrendous things. Each ridiculous.

This post is not conflating Polanski with Hitler. It is lampooning the notion that a crime should not be mentioned because great works were done.

Admittedly, the thought of bringing up Hitler in a discussion of the Autobahn, but hey, great posters should be forgiven their flubs if they provide worthwhile content to the board.

charsace

AdrianWerner said:
I saw it and it doesn't convince me. I don't see anything that terrible in his actions. Yes, he did a bad thing, but "OMG! Teh child rapist. He's such a monster" nonsense is overblown. THe girl was pretty much a cumdumpster for hollywood elite back then. Bassicaly her parents pimped her out to whoever had the power back then.
Polanski says it wasn't rape (as in..he forced her, statutory rape is pretty idiotic law construct) and I believe him. Especially since he never did something like this before or after.
WTF!?! I doubt she was the first or last underaged girl he's had relations with.

Wiktor

Sennorin said:
If we start boycotting whole countries then we have to boycott EVERYTHING. You think China is bad? Then you´re oblivious of all the other shit that´s going on in the world. Be it the US, Germany, England, France, Japan, etc.. Every government does enough shit to justify a boycott.

Comparing this to an individual that is proven to be a rapist is ludicrous.
So..bassicaly you boycott solely when it's not inconvienient to you. Nice.

Wiktor

Eric WK said:
How do you sleep at night?
Well..he propably has a child chained up in his basement himself, so after few hours of torturing her each night he's so exhaused he sleeps like a rock.

some fun behind the scenes shots at the wrap party and elsewhere, looks like they had a great time filming. Excited to Polanski handle a one-location film.

Carnage.jpg

carnage-movie-roman-polanski.jpg

carnage-polanski-waltz-winslet-reilly-foster.jpg

carnage-wrap-2.jpg

carnage-wrap-1-1.jpg

Volimar

I have to wonder why more defendants don't use this tactic.

"This convicted rapist has escaped to your country, please extradite him back to the US!"

"But look at how good his paintings are!"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AdrianWerner said:
I saw it and it doesn't convince me. I don't see anything that terrible in his actions. Yes, he did a bad thing, but "OMG! Teh child rapist. He's such a monster" nonsense is overblown. THe girl was pretty much a cumdumpster for hollywood elite back then. Bassicaly her parents pimped her out to whoever had the power back then.
Polanski says it wasn't rape (as in..he forced her, statutory rape is pretty idiotic law construct) and I believe him. Especially since he never did something like this before or after.
Wtf is this? Seriously? Learn to read and stop being a misogynist victim blamer.

Uncledick

Banned
jett said:
I'll watch this movie despite thinking Polanski is an abominable piece of shit deserving of getting assfucked to death.

I'm with you, but carnage doesn't interest me as much as rewatching his older stuff. Although polanski is a piece of cowardly shit, isn't most of Hollywood considered a moral cesspool of the highest order? I mean 95% of the directors/actors/etc are probably into some nasty shit. I think a life filled with money, promiscuity and praise worthy of gods can turn people into fucking animals. I try to separate the celebrity's personal lives from the art, because if I didn't I'd be sitting in my room staring at a blank wall.

Anyways I enjoy the art, but when it comes to morals I'd put more money on a prisoner in a maximum security prison to have at least somewhat of an acquaintance to decent morals/values than the douchebags in HW.

Volimar said:
I have to wonder why more defendants don't use this tactic.

"This convicted rapist has escaped to your country, please extradite him back to the US!"

"But look at how good his paintings are!"
Read up on the case pleasekthx. Now can we please just talk about the film in a god damn film thread.

Edit: Expendable your pics are broken D:

Wiktor

OuterWorldVoice said:
Wtf is this? Seriously? Learn to read and stop being a misogynist victim blamer.
Stop being such a ridiculous white knight. Not everything in life in black and white. And I'm not blaming her, I'm saying all the blame doesn't rest on Polanski's shoulders

Volimar

Corey Feldman said Hollywood is full of pedophiles. But I gotta wonder, is it full of pedophiles or did all the pedophiles in Hollywood just gravitate to kids like Feldman and Haim?

Sennorin

Banned
AdrianWerner said:
So..bassicaly you boycott solely when it's not inconvienient to you. Nice.

I boycott when it´s realistic to boycott. I cannot boycott the whole world (and boycotting just China would make you one big phoney).

AdrianWerner said:
Stop being such a ridiculous white knight. Not everything in life in black and white. And I'm not blaming her, I'm saying all the blame doesn't rest on Polanski's shoulders

Oh wow.

Volimar

Treefingers said:
Read up on the case pleasekthx. Now can we please just talk about the film in a god damn film thread.

Edit: Expendable your pics are broken D:

I know the case. Polanski says he was going to plead guilty to get a lesser sentence and when he learned that the deal had fallen through so he ran. Not sure what your comment is about unless you think I was saying Polanski is a painter, which I wasn't.

Expendable. said:
I can see them fine..what do they come up as?

Nothing at all for me.

Expendable. said:
I can see them fine..what do they come up as?
Two pics in the first post, and nothing but blanks in the second.

AdrianWerner said:
You're not worth arguing with. Jump through whatever hoops you need to so that you can keep supporting Polanski.

Sennorin

Banned
AdrianWerner said:
Nice excuse.

Okay, I´ll keep playing your game: So you think that China is the only government that is evil enough to warrant boycotting it? You think the USA, Germany, England, France, Japan, etc. are better? If so, you are delusional. China may do certain things that are easier at grabbing the world´s attention, but *every* government on this planet is involved in enough shit to theoretically justify a boycott. It is *not* realistic to boycott the whole world.

However, it is more than simple to boycott a proven rapist. Still defending this asshole?

Verendus

Banned
AdrianWerner said:
AdrianWerner said:
I think it was terrible, just not "that terrible". People have been comparing him to Hitler and OJ Simpson in this thread, which is simply ridiculous. He did a very bad thing, but the fault isn't all on him and what he did doesn't earn him an opinion of a monster he gets from some people

It's more of her parents fault. And yes I'm serious. People here post laughable stuff like "OMG! Her life was destroyed by him". Like she was some innocent child who was kidnapped, chained to the wall and then raped. This girl was screwed up long before Polanski laid his hands on her. It doesn't make what he did any less of a sin, but the effects of his actions aren't anywhere near as bad as people here claim them to be.
Holy shit. Wow. What am I reading here?

I mean, there's people who'll just watch Polanski movies because they can separate a man from his work.

But then there's this. And I genuinely don't know what the fuck this is.

Wiktor

Sennorin said:
Okay, I´ll keep playing your game: So you think that China is the only government that is evil enough to warrant boycotting it? You think the USA, Germany, England, France, Japan, etc. are better?
I do think they are better in fact, not that they are clean, but certaibly better than China. But to me it doesn't matter. I'm not boycotting anything, you are.

However, it is more than simple to boycott a proven rapist. Still defending this asshole?[/QUOTE]
So...as I already wrote, you're just boycoting when it's convienient. Sorry, but you have no right to put yourself on some kind of moral high ground.

So Polanski...

-Was placed in a polish ghetto around the start of the second world war
-Had his father taken to a concentration camp
-His mother died at Auschwitz
-He escaped the ghetto and survived the war on his own
-He started making movies
-His wife was murdered by the Manson Family
-He drugged and raped a 13-year old girl (anally and vaginally)
-Some nutty judge screwed up with the procedures (as a documentary would have me believe, they changed the sentence? or something?), the media screws things up further
-He flees to Europe
-Is sued again and pays a settlement to the victim

Now, part of me thinks Polanski is a horrible human-being for what he did, though another part of me wonders what the point would be with locking him up today. I mean if you're thinking in therapeutic terms, I don't see the benefit Polanski would get from getting swallowed up by some rehabilitation program, and i don't see how it would aid Geimer in any way. What really got me thinking like that was the documentary Wanted and Desired, how is that one regarded in terms of partiality and such? It really made it seem like the whole legal procedure was bonkers, with a judge more keen to "build his brand" than deliver justice. I haven't really dug into the case more than that movie showed me.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing this new movie I've heard so much about.

Volimar

I just don't understand the rationale.

"That guy drugged and raped a 13 year old girl."

"That's disgusting"

"But he made this masterpiece!"

"Eh, she probably deserved it."

I don't get how making a pretty something makes it any less disgusting. It's a horrible message to give to survivors of rape or molestation that the horrific crime against them is mitigated in any manner whatsoever because of how talented the perpetrator was.

What other Polanski films do you guys recommend? I've only see The Pianist, The Ghost Writer, Rosemary's Baby, and Chinatown...all great. I have Repulsion to watch next.

Sennorin

Banned
AdrianWerner said:
So...as I already wrote, you're just boycoting when it's convienient. Sorry, but you have no right to put yourself on some kind of moral high ground.

If you think that is convenient, then yes.

Btw. someone just told me that Polanski actually wasn´t proven to have raped the girl. So what now? Did he rape her or not? If it´s just statutory rape, that wouldn´t make me boycott him. If it´s real rape, fuck him. Any trustworthy information on this?

Wiktor

Expendable. said:
What other Polanski films do you guys recommend? I've only see The Pianist, The Ghost Writer, Rosemary's Baby, and Chinatown...all great. I have Repulsion to watch next.
Knife in the Water definitely

Expendable. said:
The Fearless Vampire Killers - Great comedy featuring Polanski himself, one of the few movies that does snow right.

Macbeth - Excellent adaptation.

The Ninth Gate - Unappreciated! Goes well with Rosemary's Baby. A must see if you enjoy the sound of fingers tapping on old books.

The Tenant - Neat little mystery thriller-ish film, it has a lot in common with repulsion, though a bit more on the silly side of things.

All great!

Expendable. said:
some fun behind the scenes shots at the wrap party and elsewhere, looks like they had a great time filming. Excited to Polanski handle a one-location film.
carnage-wrap-2.jpg

carnage-wrap-1-1.jpg
These pictures are pretty funny if you imagine them telling him they're going to drag him back to America.

Wiktor

Devolution said:
In what way? Isn't it illegal in most countries to fuck or rape a 13 yr old?
In many ways. Statutory rape being perfect example of this. Of course rape needs be punished, same as sex with underage people. But you've got law that basically makes anyone who didn't bother to look at somebody id's a rapist.

Sennorin

Banned
IamMattFox said:
These pictures are pretty funny if you imagine them telling him they're going to drag him back to America.

Actually, I wonder how these people can enjoy being around Polanski when they know he fucked a 13 year-old girl. I mean, I´m all for people having sex with others regardless the age (well, as long as it´s legal :/ ), but this is pretty disturbing. "Hey, Roman, you´re such a great guy. Oh, and even though you´re 60 or 70, you banged a 13 year-old girl. Tight stuff, eh? High Five!" Seriously, I´d feel awkward if I had to be around him.

MaddenNFL64

Pedo rapist monster makes new film :eek:.

Eh, i'll probably check it out on DVD, On Demand, or some shit.

He's old, and Switzerland is cool with him, so eh. Do your thing old man, as long as it's not raping young girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom