• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Root Double - Before Crime * After Days KS ($135k goal/Steam&Vita/Zero Escape-like)

Shizuka

icIS079.jpg

Root Double- Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition Kickstarter is now Live!

New recruits, friends, and family:

Today we come before you to let you know that the time is upon us. With the start of a new year we set forth to embark upon a mission of the utmost importance. For today we launch the Kickstarter campaign for Root Double- Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition!

Like a powder keg packed with explosively awesome goods, we have partnered with Regista, Yeti, and Lemnisca, and we just need your help to light the fuse so everyone can experience Takumi Nakazawa's masterpiece! Root Double- Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition is a high-tension visual novel unlike any before it!

Head on over to the Kickstarter campaign page to become a backer of Root Double- Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition and claim stake on some amazing backer rewards -- everything from physical copies of the game and soundtrack, to posters and tapestries. There's something for everyone! And while you're there you can read up on the game's characters, get some insight on the team behind the game, and watch a spoiler-free interview with Root Double creator and Infinity series director, Takumi Nakazawa.

The Story

The year is 2030. Business is as usual in the isolated research city of Rokumei–that is until several explosions suddenly go off in the nuclear research facility known as “LABO.” The city sends in “Sirius,” an elite rescue squad, to deal with the situation. But the situation only gets worse when LABO’s nuclear reactor melts down, sending the facility into lockdown–with members of Sirius and survivors still trapped inside. With lethal radiation leaking everywhere and not enough anti-radiation medication to last until lockdown lifts, the survivors make more and more grim discoveries. In their struggle for survival, in a deathtrap full of fire and radiation, they learn that doubt is their greatest enemy, and trust their greatest asset.

The story of Root Double features two different protagonists: Watase Kasasagi, a rescue squad captain who has lost his memories in the hours after the incident, and Natsuhiko Tenkawa, a student piecing together the clues in the six days before. The only key to survival lies in the player’s hands with the Senses Sympathy System (SSS). Unlike traditional visual novels, Root Double does not have clear cut “choices,” but rather, the game uses SSS to allow the player to manipulate the story based purely upon emotion. Your emotions projected upon the characters, particularly your trust in them, shape the progression of the story. Only with effective use of this system and completion of both protagonists’ stories can the player piece together the truth and hope to discover a way out of the facility.

UWQCIiK.jpg

Kickstarter link.

Steam Greenlight link.

TL;DR: PSVita approved by Sony, Regista, and Yeti, programming will be handled by Regista, will take at least a year to release due to multiple factors. Tiers $225 and up can pledge for it. Also check out the game play video!

Hi everyone, Audi here. I work with our console and handheld developments here at Sekai Project, and I wanted to personally write to you all today as we been working day and night to deliver you today’s announcement.

Today, Regista, Yeti, and Sekai Project are happy to announce that we will be offering a PlayStation Vita port to the campaign. Additionally, I would like to share with you some details what made this development rather challenging for us and why we were not able to add this reward sooner, as well as the results of our constant work. Naturally, the desire to offer our fans a PSVita port was shared among all of us through all parties involved, and has been discussed thoroughly. However, there are a number of significant challenges tied to this becoming reality.

Programming and Licensing

First of all, there are the challenges of Regista adapting the PSVita version's engine to be compatible with the English scripts. It is not a simple task of merely replacing the Japanese text with English text. It is a matter of reformatting the entire engine to accommodate the English script.

This requires full development from Regista with full QA support. Combined with other various factors such as re-licensing the voices for a new region and porting, this means it will take at least a year for it to be released. Thus, the PSVita port won’t launch alongside the PC version this coming March. We understand for some this might like a long wait, but I am personally overseeing and assuring all of you continuous update and insight into the full development of the PSVita port.

Size

The second issue is that the game's size exceeds the size limitations of PSVita’s physical medium (this was the case even with the Japanese version). This means that we can only offer the PSVita version digitally, which for many is a non-issue, but for some let down in a Kickstarter campaign.

We want our fans rewarded accordingly as they choose to support our project, and this was a concern for everyone involved which needed to be discussed thoroughly in order to reach a comfortable option for everyone.

Pricing

I also want to break down the pricing for those of you who will look at other campaigns for comparison. In order for us to secure and ensure a PSVita port, we worked together and discussed with Sony directly how to find the most solid solution to realize development. First off, the PSVita port is exclusive to the $225 tier and up.

Reasons for pricing

First, we want to guarantee this reward completely, since we worked very hard to get it added to the campaign. Therefore, it has been placed at tiers $225 and up to ensure that the additional development funds are gathered rather than teasing a stretch goal only for it to potentially not get met, leaving no one happy. Other campaigns that offer PSVita versions as a pledge have often required an amount near 500k or so to help fund development.

However, as faith to our backers we have decided either we have to omit developing the PSVita version entirely or place it at an amount where it can be guaranteed regardless of stretch goals met. We know we are taking a risk with this, but we want to offer what you guys are asking from us.

Secondly, as stated, the game is too big for the PSVita's physical medium, so we are not comfortable adding PSVita to a tier in which there are simply no rewards beyond a digital download considering the limited availability of the physical goods that are exclusive to this Kickstarter and cost of development that comes with this development. Therefore, for your backing of the PSVita, you will receive the assorted rewards that are included with the PSVita tiers that will only be produced for this Kickstarter campaign along with a copy of the game for the PC, all of which you can enjoy while development on the PSVita version is ongoing.

But now, we are here, and we have gotten the approval to add and develop a brand new English PSVita port of Root Double! Everyone on the team has been toiling around the clock to make this a reality. We at Sekai Project and Regista have heard your voices, and never stopped working to find a solution. Now, we can finally say that Root Double will come to the PSVita.

Vanethyr

I feel really spoiled after Degica's Muv-Luv Kickstarter so I think I'll be good and settle for the $60 tier (at least for now).

Edit: saying that though, some of those add-ons *could* be really nice...

Wichu

Has anyone played it? because if it's similar to zero escape I can't avoid supporting it.

I haven't played it, but I've seen it compared to Uchikoshi's stuff. For what it's worth, its current average rating on VNDB is higher than either Zero Escape game's (and 0.01 above Ever17's).

grim-tales

Cool :D Just backed this, I hope it gets funded but $135k is a lot of money.
This project really reminds me of ZE/Ever 17 and sounds awesome.
I went for the $60 goal (for now anyway).

According to Prefundia, no

Where does the Prefundia say that? The Q&A says "not for the time being" for other platforms.

Sekai Project just hasn't announced any vita titles or stretch goals in a while because of their problems getting the titles they've already promised out on there.

blacksark

Thanks for the answers, already backed it then for 60$, love this kind of games although I wanted a ps3/VITA physical but that seems too much asking for sekai :(

Knurek

Anyone who played both this and I/O?

Is it as insane as I/O was? The later routes for I/O were really something else, I'm not sure if I'd be up for something like this again.

Shizuka

Maybe I should ask for a fault milestone refund, since sekai project won't bother with the vita port.

There is a Sekai Project representative in NeoGAF that have been reassuring people on the VN thread about the Vita ports, saying that they're being ported as we speak, hinting that Fruit of Grisaia could be the first one released. That said, I wouldn't say that you're wrong to ask for a refund, you could always buy the game once it's out and see if the port and the game are what you thought it'd be.

blacksark

So far they're 8/9 on funded projects. Maybe it'll just be a slow burn, I remember Narcissu took quite a while.

It's just because I remember seeing kickstarters like yooka laylee that made almost all the funding the first and last days of the campaign. It's strange because I haven't heard good things about sekai and would die for a vita version but believe that have to support it because the game looks very appealing for me.

It's just because I remember seeing kickstarters like yooka laylee that made almost all the funding the first and last days of the campaign. It's strange because I haven't heard good things about sekai and would die for a vita version but believe that have to support it because the game looks very appealing for me.

Then here's one: the games I have backed by Sekai and have received, I have been perfectly happy with the quality. The main concerns people have are the issues with the Vita ports (which is fair), and that they may be trying to handle too many projects at once, though I haven't seen any evidence that their schedules or quality have been slipping. This is just delivering a PC version of the game, something they've done a number of times before and people have been happy with the results.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see those Vita versions, especially since I've backed for at least one, but I feel like the circlejerk against them gets a bit overblown at times. Long story short, fear for the schedule of their ports, not for the schedule or quality on the main platform.

Do I have to be a bit worried after seeing only 8000$ funded? Starts in kickstarter use to be very high

Sekai Project hasn't even tweeted about this, their community management must be asleep. It's slow because no one knows it went up.

If it does 30k on the first and last days this will be easily funded. And that looks likely.

blacksark

Then here's one: the games I have backed by Sekai and have received, I have been perfectly happy with the quality. The main concerns people have are the issues with the Vita ports (which is fair), and that they may be trying to handle too many projects at once, though I haven't seen any evidence that their schedules or quality have been slipping. This is just delivering a PC version of the game, something they've done a number of times before and people have been happy with the results.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see those Vita versions, especially since I've backed for at least one, but I feel like the circlejerk against them gets a bit overblown at times. Long story short, fear for the schedule of their ports, not for the schedule or quality on the main platform.

This is the best opinion I've read about them so far, so I'm happy that not everyone thinks everything is bad.
I prefer vita because I play always on consoles although I have a PC,however I'm happy that they bring this kind of games in english and PC and also DRM free.The thing I wouldn't like is buying the physical PC version and then they solve the vita problems and make me pay again(I'm sure I'll pay again if it releases on vita).

xzeldax3

I've been wanting this since it first was announced in japan. I love all the stuff this author has written, so I am 100% in!

This is the best opinion I've read about them so far, so I'm happy that not everyone thinks everything is bad.
I prefer vita because I play always on consoles although I have a PC,however I'm happy that they bring this kind of games in english and PC and also DRM free.The thing I wouldn't like is buying the physical PC version and then they solve the vita problems and make me pay again(I'm sure I'll pay again if it releases on vita).

Yeah, I by no means blame the Vita people for being upset or wary. But on the PC side, I think they've more than proven themselves, so I don't think anyone should be wary about this particular kickstarter. I also really hope they get the vita stuff figured out soon, because some of those games I also may end up double-dipping on for Vita...

Shizuka

Yeah, I by no means blame the Vita people for being upset or wary. But on the PC side, I think they've more than proven themselves, so I don't think anyone should be wary about this particular kickstarter. I also really hope they get the vita stuff figured out soon, because some of those games I also may end up double-dipping on for Vita...

They have issues with delivering physical reward for their Kickstarter campaigns, not just honoring the Vita ports. Not to mention the over reliance on Kickstarters to get (almost) everything released. These are issues that have been discussed extensively in past occasions, but the recent developments give me some faith that the right changes were made inside the company and that things will now move accordingly.

blacksark

They have issues with delivering physical reward for their Kickstarter campaigns, not just honoring the Vita ports. Not to mention the over reliance on Kickstarters to get (almost) everything released. These are issues that have been discussed extensively in past occasions, but the recent developments give me some faith that the right changes were made inside the company and that things will now move accordingly.

I hope that they take into account the mistakes they've made before, at least the translations are well made right? What I'm sure is if people like me that love so much vn and even more suspense vn don't support it who is going to do it(although I don't have too much money right now btw)

Sakura

Has anyone played it? because if it's similar to zero escape I can't avoid supporting it.

Is Zero Escape 999?
Because Root Double is way better than that game.
There were some things about it I didn't like, but over all it was a solid experience, and kept me hooked start to finish.

VNDB has this at over 50 hours, so I can only assume the pacing is abysmal and may be end-heavy like stuff the guy's worked on with Uchikoshi.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

blacksark

Is Zero Escape 999?
There were some things about it I didn't like, but over all it was a solid experience, and kept me hooked start to finish.

Yep 999 and virtue last reward, if it's better so MUCH HYPE.
Is the most any good?

grim-tales

Is Zero Escape 999?

Yeah, 999 is one title (the first) in the "Zero Escape" series.
999 was amazing, so if RD is even better than that, just... wow.

blacksark

From the tumblr:(sometime ago)
Q:hello! I'm a PSV owner and I'm starting to get into visual novels; I was wondering if you guys have localized (or are working on) any VN for the PSV. I know that most VNs are on PC/Steam but I commute for hours on end and when I come home the last thing I want to do is to sit in front of the computer, that's why I'd like to know if you have any plans for PVS :) thank you for your time! :)
A: We do have plans! We’re working on getting a few titles approved and once they’re approved we’ll share the good news.

I'm seeing myself paying twice,because hoping they will solve the vita problems before the ks campaign ends is unreal.

From the tumblr:(sometime ago)
Q:hello! I'm a PSV owner and I'm starting to get into visual novels; I was wondering if you guys have localized (or are working on) any VN for the PSV. I know that most VNs are on PC/Steam but I commute for hours on end and when I come home the last thing I want to do is to sit in front of the computer, that's why I'd like to know if you have any plans for PVS :) thank you for your time! :)
A: We do have plans! We’re working on getting a few titles approved and once they’re approved we’ll share the good news.

I'm seeing myself paying twice,because hoping they will solve the vita problems before the ks campaign ends is unreal.

Isn't that likely to be referring to the other proposed Vita ports by SP?

blacksark

Isn't that likely to be referring to the other proposed Vita ports by SP?

Yes because it was before this was announced I think, but that makes me think that they have to be working to solve the sony/vita problems and I'm sure that people(like me) have interest in games like this being released on vita(like muv luv).
I already backed for the physical version but have been reading things of people that have played/beaten it and just WOW WOW.If it's just half as good as I'm reading this has to be a masterpiece I can't miss, and even thinking on updating the pledge.

Sakura

Yeah, 999 is one title (the first) in the "Zero Escape" series.
999 was amazing, so if RD is even better than that, just... wow.

Well... They are different games. Root Double is much more an actual visual novel than 999. The story in 999 is kinda all over the place, and there is practically no character development. It also has gameplay elements in it what with investigating rooms and all that.
What I liked about 999 though, was the 'trapped' feeling/setting, and Root Double does a very good job scratching that itch in my opinion.

Shizuka

Like a friend pointed out, Sekai Project could license the Vita version directly with Yeti/Regista this time, instead of having to port it themselves or try to strike a deal with another publisher. If they're licensing the PC version, they could also license the Vita version without adding another company to the negotiations.

blacksark

Like a friend pointed out, Sekai Project could license the Vita version directly with Yeti/Regista this time, instead of having to port it themselves or try to strike a deal with another publisher. If they're licensing the PC version, they could also license the Vita version without adding another company to the negotiations.

That's why I would like it to be announced, also it would make more funding and I'll be happier although I don't want to waste more money(but going to do it anyway)
I've told them your message to make pressure so they change of opinion(pretty please).

So it ended up doing around 26k in its first 24 hours. That's decent, the cause for concern I have here is that their tier structure sucks and it's questionable how much they can really get people to raise pledges. But the doom and gloom I've seen doesn't look particularly well founded at this point.

Well... They are different games. Root Double is much more an actual visual novel than 999. The story in 999 is kinda all over the place, and there is practically no character development. It also has gameplay elements in it what with investigating rooms and all that.
What I liked about 999 though, was the 'trapped' feeling/setting, and Root Double does a very good job scratching that itch in my opinion.

How's the pacing?

takoyaki

Nice, backed right away. I played the first few hours of the game and like others have said, the atmosphere was pretty similar to ZE while the gameplay felt more like a straight up VN. Really hope they add a vita version to the KS.

Top Bottom