• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rotten Watch: Son of the Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

explodet

The first movie wasn't in too many top 10 lists, but it was a solid Jim Carrey performance and it gave us Cameron Diaz. And a scintillating apperance by Ben Stein.

I see nothing that could possibly redeem this new movie, though.

I saw the movie this past weekend (free screening) and it wasn't that bad (for it's price). There were a few moments that were pretty funny, and they actually had a better script than I was expecting. If you get a chance to see it at a dollar theater or free or just really cheap, it's not that bad.

Worst part: the complete and total aping of the club scene from the first Mask. ugh. second worst part: why oh why did they make the Mask have hair? it looked like shit. third worst part: how the HELL did they get Steven Wright to be in this?!?

xsarien

daedsiluap
bune duggy said:
I saw the movie this past weekend (free screening) and it wasn't that bad (for it's price). There were a few moments that were pretty funny, and they actually had a better script than I was expecting. If you get a chance to see it at a dollar theater or free or just really cheap, it's not that bad.

Worst part: the complete and total aping of the club scene from the first Mask. ugh. second worst part: why oh why did they make the Mask have hair? it looked like shit. third worst part: how the HELL did they get Steven Wright to be in this?!?

In spoiler tags, can you just explain to me how the baby gets the Mask's powers? It's obviously not Son of Ipkiss.

Dead

well not really...yet
xsarien said:
In spoiler tags, can you just explain to me how the baby gets the Mask's powers? It's obviously not Son of Ipkiss.
I read that
Jamie Kennedy has sex while hes wearing the mask and impregnates a chick and the baby is born with the masks powers

HILARITY ENSUES

Archaix said:
Odd, there's a positive review(odd enough in its own right) that doesn't seem to count.

Reviews counted: 27
Fresh: 0**Rotten: 27

Maybe it's just a graphics screw up? The review certainly isn't positive.

Dead said:
I read that
Jamie Kennedy has sex while hes wearing the mask and impregnates a chick and the baby is born with the masks powers

HILARITY ENSUES

what he said, except
the chick is his wife. Funny part was when the kid was trying to make dad go crazy and hatched a plan to act like the WB frog, you know, the dancing frog from the old cartoons? Did the whole bit, dad took kid to neighbor, nothing happened.
Nice little nod to the old animators - the families name is Avery, the kid is Alvey. (that name seemed important, but I can't for the life of me remember why I thought it was)

oh yeah - Jamie Kennedy is not Jim Carrey's character, his wife is not Cameron Diaz's character. I've seen too many people saying that.

Archaix said:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click...tic=columns&sortby=default&page=1&rid=1361827
Eh? It seems pretty positive to me. No score/rating of any sort though, maybe that's the problem.

Yeah, I suppose it could go either way. Seems like he's saying, "Come in, it's not THAT bad. It's just a kids' movie." I like how his opening paragraph is about how the Mask wasn't all that great and never says anything about the Mask 2 being any better or worse than its predecessor.

Jak140

Dead said:
I read that

HILARITY ENSUES

Wait.

They expect us to believe that someone had sex with Jamie Kennedy?

skip

Dead said:
I read that

HILARITY ENSUES

I was just thinking about this today after seeing a commercial, then immediately writing it off because it'd just be too creepy a concept.

I lose.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jesus I loved the mask when it came out. I remember almost 7 or 8 years ago I heard they were doing a sequel to the Mask and was all happy excited for it....then it never happened

Now this.... :lol :lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Jak140 said:
Wait.

They expect us to believe that someone had sex with Jamie Kennedy?

Don't be hatin'. Malibu in da hiz-ouse!

malibusmostwanted1.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Drozmight said:
Avery was the guy who did all the Warner and later MGM cartoon voices I think.
Tex Avery was the creator of the likes of Daffy Duck, Droopy among others. He's also considered the primary source for Bugs Bunny's personality, and the phrase "What's up, Doc?" He did very little voice acting, and it was extra stuff, no main characters. For the most part though he was the director of a ton of the classic Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies stuff.

MIMIC

Banned
In the movie, Jamie Kennedy finds the mask and exclaims, "This is the crappiest piece of crap in Craptown."

The only reason I took note of this movie is because of Traylor Howard, always thought she was cute. Fortunately she's got the "Monk" gig now and not just this.

I knew the Avery connection, just not the Alvey. I remembered the reason I thought "Alvey" odd: we had just watched Annie Hall in my film class and Woody Allen's character is Alvey.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
explodet said:
The first movie wasn't in too many top 10 lists, but it was a solid Jim Carrey performance and it gave us Cameron Diaz. And a scintillating apperance by Ben Stein.

I see nothing that could possibly redeem this new movie, though.

Hopefully this will propel the oh so cute Traylor Howard's career.

:(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
We need to hear a Jim Carrey quote regarding this movie STAT.

I loved his appearance on letterman when he asked about dumb and dumberer

"well they say PLAGIARISM is the sincerest form of flattery"
"Normally they wait till you're dead before ROBBING YOUR GRAVE"

shuri

Banned
I saw the first movie a week ago. Let's just say that it aged horribly, and that it was way better when I was 14 :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom