• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Ant-Man and the Wasp (86% & Certified Fresh)

shira

Review embargo lifted

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ant_man_and_the_wasp

Critics Consensus: A lighter, brighter superhero movie powered by the effortless charisma of Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly, Ant-Man and The Wasp offers a much-needed MCU palate cleanser.

As of right now 87%
224 fresh out of 258 (typically MCU movies get reviewed by 200-300 RT reviewers)

Looks like Mahvel has potentially another certified fresh winner
edit: Confirmed Fresh

Last edited:

shira

That is great and all but i’m getting Franchise Fatigue
I'm hoping the jokes are good enough.
The first one was a kind of a weak heist/comedy hybrid
I'm hoping there's enough big/small gags to make it worth.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I say this as someone who has watched them from Iron Man.

Heck even the Ang Lee Hulk and the one with Edward Norton.

I’m just finding it hard to want to watch all

GoTG 3 I will watch
Infinity War part 2 yes
Spider-Man yes
But I think these will be on Blu-ray or streaming of some kind such as Netflix.
TBH as I can’t keep going the cinema all the damn time

Last edited:

kunonabi

Looks like the introduction of a new female superhero is going to do wonders for this film.

MCU has been super lean with them which has always been unfortunate since most of my favorite characters are female and they've been practically nonexistent in the films. I like the MCU Scarlet Witch but she just doesn't stand out enough.

Lilly has looked excellent as the Wasp in all the the trailers so I've been excited for her to debut from the jump. She seems to have the same presence and physical charisma that Hela and Gamora have which goes a long way in making a character pop especially when you have all sorts of action sequences to deliver.

Honestly, outside of Valkyrie and Agent 13 Marvel has absolutely killed it with their female casting.

Gander

Banned
They are actually being pretty generous. The original Ant-Man/Giant-Man sucked at being a hero, Wasp was always far more talented, she actually gave the Avengers their name.

manfestival

I just read in the reviews that the movie well...
doesn't have a villain.
Not sure how I feel about it and honestly I was kinda planning on skipping this one anyways. I watched the first one but I definitely felt like my movie was better spent elsewhere since he is the least interesting character with a movie.
Nothing to do with fatigue for me. The trailer isn't even all that appealing.

shira

Yeah I agree

The big crossover events are the only ones I still watch in the theater . The other standalone movies I just rent at some point later on
I have free points to watch it.

I don't even think there's a movie I want to watch in the theatres until Cap Marvel in March 2019 and Avengers 4 in May 2019

ic3cait

Banned
I'm one of the few people who really liked the first one. It was a fun heist movie and Michael Pena stole every scene he was in.

Last edited:
MCU has been super lean with them which has always been unfortunate since most of my favorite characters are female and they've been practically nonexistent in the films. I like the MCU Scarlet Witch but she just doesn't stand out enough.

Lilly has looked excellent as the Wasp in all the the trailers so I've been excited for her to debut from the jump. She seems to have the same presence and physical charisma that Hela and Gamora have which goes a long way in making a character pop especially when you have all sorts of action sequences to deliver.

Honestly, outside of Valkyrie and Agent 13 Marvel has absolutely killed it with their female casting.

I don't watch Agents of Shield, so I don't know who Agent 13 is.

What's wrong with Valkyrie? I thought Tessa Thompson was just fine.

I agree with all the comments about Wasp. She is more or less the heart of the Avengers. Ant Man was your stereotypical brooding, anti-social nerd. Also, his hero concept of just becoming big was kind lame. He's as big as Galactus but gets punk'd by Captain America.

shira

I'm one of the few people who really liked the first one. It was a fun heist movie and Michael Pena stole every scene he was in.
idk if I liked it. The ending was batshit crazy.

I really liked Pena though. Dude nailed every scene

oagboghi2

I feel like all the great female marvel heroes belong to different studios

I liked the first one and expected to hate it.

Right now Marvel has the green light from me. I'll see whatever, at least until they give me another Thor 2: The Dark World.

kunonabi

I feel like all the great female marvel heroes belong to different studios

They're missing the various X characters and Invisible Woman which obviously hurts but they still have some they could work with if they really wanted to. They seem to do alright in the TV space though at least.

Man, where is my Darkhold Redeemers show.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It has Paul Rudd in it so I doubt it deserves that fresh score.

ic3cait

Banned
Maybe it's time I watch the first one.

Much like Winter Soldier is a spy thriller, and Thor Ragnarok is a space-buddy comedy, Ant-Man is a heist movie. And it's a pretty good one that also tells the origin story of Ant-Man in a generally fun way. There's a pretty solid emotional core to the movie and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:

shira

Saw it yesterday.

It's really hard to recommend since almost all the best parts are in the trailers.
I thought they would have better big/small gags.

And don't stay for the second stinger. Eurghh massive troll
Ant playing drums as seen in the trailer

Airola

Saw it today.

The first Ant-Man was a really pleasant surprise so I was interested in seeing this one too. Very funny and entertaining movie.
Not sure if I was tired for some other reasons or if the movie made me tired, but I had tough time staying awake through the whole thing.

I thought the action sequences were too fast (as it seems to be in every other action movie too though) and the comedy sequences were made for people who love stuff like The Gilmore Girls and New Girl. Fast talking, fast responses. Kinda good jokes but all done way too fast (or then I just really was too tired to follow it in the first place).

ilfait

Rotten Tomatoes sucks. Am I mistaken or doesn't its rating system encourage the least offensive stuff to rise to the top? I give it one rotten tomato out of tomato.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Saw it. Was entertained and amused. No regrets.

I like how they did something different in terms of downplaying the villain role, and not having every single movie end up being trying to stop a giant sky laser. The characters had good chemistry together. Mom channeling herself through Scott was funny and well done. Kinda jarring how the characters of Morpheus and Ghost Girl are just another one of those "Suprise! These are characters from the backstory whom you've never heard of before but here they are now!" archetypes, but it at least wasn't as stupid as Jurassic World 2.

Oof at that mid credits scene :(

manfestival

so folks, worth waiting for its eventual netflix release or seeing it in the movies? from general reaction it seems like a wait till digital release kinda film

Dunki

Looks like the introduction of a new female superhero is going to do wonders for this film.
Not for me because of this I am very sceptical about the high scores from so called critics who rather rate the movies these days not because it is good but because its progressive.

I guess I wil wait for real critics who still judge a movie by its content.

oagboghi2

Not for me because of this I am very sceptical about the high scores from so called critics who rather rate the movies these days not because it is good but because its progressive.

I guess I wil wait for real critics who still judge a movie by its content.
The movie is good, not great but serviceable. It's the type of film made for movie pass. I would feel worse if I handed over cash, but if it's "free", meh

It was annoying how incompetent they made Scott Lang look. He couldn't throw a punch but Hope looked like Xena: warrior princess. It didn't bother me to much becuase they had established in the first movie she is a better fighter, but Scott really needed a good hero moment where he looks strong, and he never got one.

Enjoyed it very much while watching, but the movie is not taking any risk.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing,
it's a very entertaining movie but many people will forget it in just few months.

watched it yesterday and it's very enjoyable. thou the whole thing with the crime boss doesn't really click for me (not the actor himself, but the role), it's still great fun watching it.

Last edited:

Doom85

Honestly I would have thought the two movies are equal in quality (both being pretty good) BUT this movie's antagonists are so much better. Not amazing, but certainly more interesting than Cross in 1 who was just a standard scientist/businessman villain (which isn't necessarily a bad type of villain, but he's no Lex Luthor or Norman Obsorn).

Also, people are overblowing this whole "Scott is so pathetic" now nonsense. He makes mistakes but he does the exact same thing in 1, he even acknowledges he has trouble not screwing things up ever since he first became Ant-Man, this isn't new, and they're not talking about his fighting abilities but rather some of his decisions. Wasp has an intro action scene focused entirely on her, but after that both her and Scott get pretty equal spotlight share in the action department. Also, Hank has a more active role in this one whereas in the first one he spent most of the first two acts being Scott's mentor.

I don't agree though with the notion that it's the best MCU sequel since Winter Soldier. It's a bit better than 1, yes, but I wouldn't rate the movie as highly as Guardians 2, Infinity War, or Civil War (I would put it a bit above Thor: Ragnarok).

Azurro

Banned
Enjoyed it very much while watching, but the movie is not taking any risk.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing,
it's a very entertaining movie but many people will forget it in just few months.

So, is it basically like any other generic Marvel movie? I guess that's not a surprise. I'll wait until the next Infinity War to see another superhero movie again, all the Marvel movies are the same. Inoffensive, forgettable stuff that's ok fun for a couple of hours.

oagboghi2

Honestly I would have thought the two movies are equal in quality (both being pretty good) BUT this movie's antagonists are so much better. Not amazing, but certainly more interesting than Cross in 1 who was just a standard scientist/businessman villain (which isn't necessarily a bad type of villain, but he's no Lex Luthor or Norman Obsorn).

Also, people are overblowing this whole "Scott is so pathetic" now nonsense. He makes mistakes but he does the exact same thing in 1, he even acknowledges he has trouble not screwing things up ever since he first became Ant-Man, this isn't new, and they're not talking about his fighting abilities but rather some of his decisions. Wasp has an intro action scene focused entirely on her, but after that both her and Scott get pretty equal spotlight share in the action department. Also, Hank has a more active role in this one whereas in the first one he spent most of the first two acts being Scott's mentor.

I don't agree though with the notion that it's the best MCU sequel since Winter Soldier. It's a bit better than 1, yes, but I wouldn't rate the movie as highly as Guardians 2, Infinity War, or Civil War (I would put it a bit above Thor: Ragnarok).
He lost every fight he was in and he caused every mistake in the movie. Honestly outside of one scene, Wasp didn't need his help at all.

Shouta

I saw it last night and it was really enjoyable. It's really nice having a film with such small and personal stakes in it. The Marvel films are all about save the world, save the country, etc but this one is just about shenanigans they need to do. That really made it standout compared to a lot of the recent films for me.

The villain girl kept reminding me of a Destiny character, or the Reapers from XCOM: War of the Chosen.
Someone said in their review that Ghost was more of an antagonist instead of villain. Which is pretty good description in my opinion.

I found it to be funny, slightly better than first one. Michael Douglas was even grumpier and more amusing.

Top Bottom