• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Ant-Man and the Wasp (86% & Certified Fresh)

pramod

Banned
Surprisingly, I didn't like this movie as much as I thought I would have. The beginning was awesome. Made me wish there could have been a movie with the original Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne.

But the rest of the movie just felt like....filler? Ghost was an ok villain with a poor motivation that seemed really out of place in the MCU. The Ghost in the comics was much better IMHO. But it felt like the only reason for this movie to exist is to show us how the Quantum Realm is gonna tie in with Avengers 4. It's the most "filler"-esque movie in all of the MCU so far. Overall It was ok but I think the first one is superior.

Last edited:

llien

I like Evangeline Lilly very much, but trailer looked quite underwhelming to me and I didn't like the first movie either.
Will wait for "user reviews" score.

pramod

Banned
I like Evangeline Lilly very much, but trailer looked quite underwhelming to me and I didn't like the first movie either.
Will wait for "user reviews" score.

The trailer pretty much showed you most of the best scenes. If that looked underwhelming then I doubt there would be a point for you to spend $15 sitting thru this.

Shouta

The villain girl kept reminding me of a Destiny character, or the Reapers from XCOM: War of the Chosen.

It felt like they meant to do that with the design. I can't say I enjoyed the suit much myself. I thought it was way more interesting when she was fighting out of the suit since it let the actress do more work in portraying the character.

Doom85

It felt like they meant to do that with the design. I can't say I enjoyed the suit much myself. I thought it was way more interesting when she was fighting out of the suit since it let the actress do more work in portraying the character.

Yeah, I can see that. Kinda made me think the final fight between Black Panther and Killmonger would have been better if they had their helmets off as their dialogue between them loses a little impact when we can't see the actors emote. Thankfully the director knew their final scene together just had to have the helmets off, would have ruined the tone of the scene if they had their masks on.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Found the movie to be an awesome relief from the intensity of Infinity War...just felt like a more pure comedy with an action setting vs. the traditional MCU formula of "action setting with some comedy".

Paul Rudd being Paul Rudd in his house, the whole truth serum scene, the car chase at the end... just really entertaining. Saw it twice in two days. Not because it's some AMAZING movie...just that it's a good time.

VAL0R

Banned
It wasn't nearly as good as the first one. Tried way too hard at being a comedy. Some gags got played out a bit. Lily was very good as Wasp. I feel the story was a letdown as was the villain Ghost.

Edit: But still a thumbs up, fun flick. My boys loved it. I loved the first one and liked this one.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I thought this was going to be another "Rotten Tomatoes inflates a movie because political reasons", but it has a 70 in Metacritic (which is far from spectacular, but is far better of what I was anticipating this movie to have).

MayauMiao

The movie was okay but a lot of the good stuff was shown in the trailers.

I also think they need to cut down the kid scene too as it drags down the movie just like Iron Man 3.

7/10

Gander

Banned
This might be the first Marvel movie I don't see. If I don't do it this coming weekend it's not going to happen. I'd be more interested if it had some cameos from some of my favorites like Ghost Rider, She-Hulk or Moon Knight.

kunonabi

Saw the movie yesterday and didn't like it as much as the first but still enjoyed it. There was some cheap writing and the movie was a little bloated and messy with some poor editing. The characters and more sci-fi atmosphere went a long way in making the movie still work. I thought the humor and action scenes worked pretty well with the cringier bits from the trailers nowhere to be seen. Ghost was a total snoozer of a villain though and her monologue brought the whole movie to a dead stop. Pfeiffer killed it though and I really hope we get more of her.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

This was great but I expected to like it more. The first one was better. That was one of my favorite MCU movies. This was fun and Evangeline Lilly was great as Wasp. It was great to see Michelle Pfeiffer in a super hero movie again.

That is great and all but i’m getting Franchise Fatigue
I'm not. This movie was very different compared to Infinity War for example.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The story to this was pretty laughable but it was still entertaining. The person I saw this with loved it, but I was a bit disappointed. I didn’t really give two shits about the bad guys in this due to them being idiot comical characters and the ghost had no reason to do what she did for 90% of the movie due to how they solved her problem.

Honestly probavly one of the most disappointing years for marvel as only 1 movie was worth anything (avengers) and the other two are down with thor dark world

NahaNago

I just read in the reviews that the movie well...
doesn't have a villain.
Not sure how I feel about it and honestly I was kinda planning on skipping this one anyways. I watched the first one but I definitely felt like my movie was better spent elsewhere since he is the least interesting character with a movie.
Nothing to do with fatigue for me. The trailer isn't even all that appealing.

I actually skipped seeing the first one in theaters just because it looked really boring and the main character also seemed really boring as well but after watching it because the second movie looked interesting , that first movie was a lot better than I thought it would be due to the surrounding characters.

NahaNago

The movie was almost good and I guess I would say it is decent but I still feel they are messing up this hero when they have such an interesting group to use.

cryptoadam

Banned
I think Ant Man needs a Thor style change up.

The movie was fun and all but it was more of a Wasp story and felt kinda similar to the first with the whole shirnking growing stuff. It didn't get any sequel boost or IW boost either. Maybe bring in the micro verse or something.

manfestival

I saw the movie while in Peru last week. It felt like a filler episode for a tv show more than a silver screen movie. Good thing my ticket only cost me 3 dollars. Probably the least interesting out of any of the MCU movies. I wasn't hyped because I kinda expected this and it did meet those not so great expectations. It is a high quality filler movie that will only be good if you have a movie theater going itch that needs to be scratched. Otherwise, the "villains" are MEH

I watched it today and the humor was good but the first moment I noticed Ghost was supposed to be villain was a moment ago reading posts above mine. I assumed she was just another superhero in the making.

Also I feel like ending made the whole movie completely pointless
Oh cool we saved her from quantum space oh but they all vaporized from Thanos stuff

wondermega

Saw this tonight as it's finally arrived on streaming, and was looking a bit forward to it as the first one did some interesting things.. This film was ok, I don't regret spending my $5 but I did feel like they were playing it a bit by the numbers. I still want to see huge Godzilla sized people duking it out in the middle of a crowded city, THAT would be something to see. There's also so much coolness they touched on in part one with miniaturization, somehow they seem to just make it feel also-ran here. Actors were fine but for the most part this film was rather forgettable. I'm about ready to put superhero movies on snooze for awhile, until some legit game changer comes around.

JCK75

I was ripped hardcore for my opinion, I'm glad to see more people are watching it and expressing exactly how I felt about it.
I loved the first movie, I love Paul Rudd but this movie was just a snoozefest.

Akuza89

To be honest, when I saw the film it felt like a "nothing really happened" film...

yes they got janet back, but ghost didn't really do much apart from ironically, act like a fly and bug everyone...

it felt like a filler film to me.

even if this came out before infinity war I think I would have felt the same... I came out of the movie like "it was nice to see them, but really that's it?"

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I couldn’t believe how bad this movie was. And even for marvel standards the bullshit technology and science was on the level of CSI double keyboard hacking. Like why on earth was there a little glass room next to their portal that the annoying girl could use to suck Michelle Pfieffers energy. And then she comes out and has magic powers. And why is ant man now a dumbarse? Didn’t he have a masters in engineering or something? Worst marvel movie by far

Fbh

That was pretty meh, would put it next to Spiderman Homecoming as the worst of the recent ones (so not counting shit like Thor 1-2 or Iron Man 2-3)

On the one hand I think it's pretty refreshing that it's not some "save the city/world" type plot but neither the characters nor action setpieces were very memorable IMO. I liked the first one a lot better

Grinchy

Banned
I thought it sucked. It had none of the charm from the first one and just felt like they were trying to re-create it and failed. The humor was really bad and everything about the plot was so forgettable. It's the kind of movie you forget you ever watched.

Duallusion

As someone who's not that big of a fan of humor in action movies (or even comedies in general, tbh), I didn't think much of it either. All the shrinking and enlarging shenanigans were quite imaginative and yet they somehow failed to impress me and the plot lacked at least some gravitas.

Unlike most Marvel movies (even crappier ones like Thor 2), I probably won't ever bother watching this one again.

I thought it sucked. It had none of the charm from the first one and just felt like they were trying to re-create it and failed. The humor was really bad and everything about the plot was so forgettable. It's the kind of movie you forget you ever watched.

Yeah exactly my feelings - first one was good because it didn't take itself too seriously.

Pretty good movie, stay for the after credits

Heh, I agree! The after credits is interesting. I don't know any A4 spoilers, but I wonder how that will play out in A4 since it looks like it follows the event on Captain America: Civil War? Anyway, I agree with the others, it's time Marvel make female-led superhero movies. That Black Widow solo movie should've happened years ago. I wouldn't mind a Scarlet Witch movie, too. Would be nice to see a glimpse of her childhood with her twins and how they were captured and how they got their superhuman abilities.

Top Bottom