• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Pixar's Inside Out (2015) - 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
The return of the king already happened when Disney Feature Animation released Frozen and restored their honor and god tier status

What? Frozen is no better than The Princess and the Frog or Tangled. The Lasseter second renaissance was in full swing years before Frozen exploded into popularity in all its "yeah, it's pretty good" glory.

Or just watch it and decide for yourself...

inflated scores that guy is crazy lol

What? Frozen is no better than The Princess and the Frog or Tangled. The Lasseter second renaissance was in full swing years before Frozen exploded into popularity in all its "yeah, it's pretty good" glory.

Forzen is not even that good that's the thing its super over hyped/over rated . Tangled is a far better movie and Princess & the Frog is a bit better then it as well but not by much matter of fact I'd say its the weaker of the bunch in some ways.

overcast

First of all don't put too much faith in to review scores.

Secondly Monster's U and Brave both got sub 80 which is not very good for an animated films Cars and Cars 2 didn't do too well either. Inflation, not so much.

Pixar tends to get incredible inflated scores. Gotta wait.

92% A Bug's Life
74% Cars
39% Cars 2
78% Brave
78% Monsters University

The scores for the weaker Pixar movies don't look inflated to me, with the possible exception of A Bug's Life way back in 1998.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
inflated scores that guy is crazy lol

Forzen is not even that good that's the thing its super over hyped/over rated . Tangled is a far better movie and Princess & the Frog is a bit better then it as well but not by much matter of fact I'd say its the weaker of the bunch in some ways.

Princess and the Frog was outright terrible. Just an awful movie. There was nothing memorable about it in the least. Frozen isn't perfect but it's light years ahead of PatF when it comes to entertainment. There's a reason PatF is all but forgotten and Frozen is already near the top of Disney's profit list.

Back on topic, I can't wait for this one. Everything I've seen looks great.

Princess and the Frog was outright terrible. Just an awful movie. There was nothing memorable about it in the least. Frozen isn't perfect but it's light years ahead of PatF when it comes to entertainment.

What a dreadful opinion. The beauty of the hand-drawn animation augmented by Toon Boom, the amazing lighting effects, Dr. Facilier, the heft provided by the real-world setting, the far more nuanced and interesting (if not terribly catchy) soundtrack, the way the plot genuinely subverts Disney tropes while superficially conforming to the formula. The Princess and the Frog impressed me more on rewatching than it did the first time around. Frozen seems more derivitive and more parasitic on the Tangled formula the more I think about it.

There's a reason PatF is all but forgotten and Frozen is already near the top of Disney's profit list.

One catchy song?

Huh, that image makes me think that this Tumbler rant was more than just a tumbler rant. http://every-flavored-bean.tumblr.c...very-woman-in-every-disney-pixar-movie-in-the

I took pictures of both male and female characters from recent Disney/Pixar movies, And then traced both of them. Look at the diversity of male face shapes . . Apparently every Disney woman is a clone/direct descendant of some primordial creature with huge round cheeks and a disturbingly small nose

The AV Club take on it which made me aware.

It's not hard to make that case when you use you use Mother and daughters as examples who are meant to look like one another but avoid using any males that are related to each other.

DPw_zps6roqja0t.jpg

Disney Princesses definitely have his problem but to say all women is just not true. If you selectively pick an choose and exclude images you can make any argument.

It's not hard to make that case when you use you use Mother and daughters as examples who are meant to look like one another but avoid using any males that are related to each other.

DPw_zps6roqja0t.jpg

Disney Princesses definitely have his problem but to say all women is just not true. If you selectively pick an choose and exclude images you can make any argument.
The problem with the original picture is the diversity of the male characters includes heroes, villains and comic relief while the female characters are all heroines. I would still agree that male characters tend to have a better range of style and expression but I'd attribute that more to the fact that a lot of Disney movies are male dominated with a token female character here and there.

I won't go as far as to say P&TF sucked but man Tangled and Frozen blew it out of the water. I wish Tangled was hand drawn so it wouldn't have contributed to the dumb mentality that 2D = bad 3D = good hurr but who knows, maybe that would have hindered its success.

Spinluck

I'm actually content with Tangled being computer animated, it showed me that computer animation can be filled with almost as much life and charm as traditional animation. Of course it's still more limited, but the film was beautifully animated. I've gotta watch it again soon.

Maximo

The problem with the original picture is the diversity of the male characters includes heroes, villains and comic relief while the female characters are all heroines. I would still agree that male characters tend to have a better range of style and expression but I'd attribute that more to the fact that a lot of Disney movies are male dominated with a token female character here and there.

I won't go as far as to say P&TF sucked but man Tangled and Frozen blew it out of the water. I wish Tangled was hand drawn so it wouldn't have contributed to the dumb mentality that 2D = bad 3D = good hurr but who knows, maybe that would have hindered its success.
Tangled was amazing. Don't wanna get into detail but definitely agree in that more people would have looked at it less negatively if it was 2D.

DJKhaled

I'm glad to see Pixar releasing a good movie again. In my honest opinion everything after Toy Story 3 was bad, Cars 2 just bad, Brave was extremely boring and Monster University was just unnecessary. I really hope they stop with the sequels once they are done with Incredibles 2.

I'm really surprised that this movie turned out to be good considering the awful, backwards, sexist teaser they released at first (incompetent dad who doesn't listen or care about family, mom who was dreaming about escaping with a foreign rich guy). Really weird sexist tropes for a Pixar film, I wonder if that's actually in the movie.

way more

We're actually paying attention to tumblr rants now? Really?

837.gif

I read the AV Club article three months ago and thought nothing of it (I guess because I don't watch Pixar or Disney) but man if these posters lined up don't make me think that person was on to something. It reminds me of Matt Groening's theory that every great character must come with a stand-out silhouette.

wpid-inside-out-emotion-poster.jpg

bounchfx

I'm so fucking ready for this. Last real feels I got from Pixar was Up. I'm so stoked and I wish this was comin sooner!

Princess and the Frog was outright terrible. Just an awful movie. There was nothing memorable about it in the least. Frozen isn't perfect but it's light years ahead of PatF when it comes to entertainment. There's a reason PatF is all but forgotten and Frozen is already near the top of Disney's profit list.

Back on topic, I can't wait for this one. Everything I've seen looks great.
Princess and the Frog is my personal favorite Disney movie. It was much better than Frozen. Tangled is the stinker of the three.
Edit: and I'll never get the hate for Brave. I love that movie.

I should say Tangled is a stinker in relative terms. It's significantly worse than the other two, but it's not a bad movie per se. It's just really disappointing and uneven. The comic relief was awful, though the villain and princess were great. It felt more like a low quality DreamWorks movie for half of it.

I should say Tangled is a stinker in relative terms. It's significantly worse than the other two, but it's not a bad movie per se. It's just really disappointing and uneven. The comic relief was awful, though the villain and princess were great. It felt more like a low quality DreamWorks movie for half of it.
You're definitely fighting this battle alone.

the only recent disney stinker is wreck it ralph. tangled is great, frozen is good too but it just got a bit tiresome with the songs.

bounchfx

wat.

tangled was freaking awesome. Far better than Frozen, and I liked Frozen!

sqmehqums08xe6wl0iua.gif

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Princess and the Frog is my personal favorite Disney movie. It was much better than Frozen. Tangled is the stinker of the three.

Brave is great, but you're out in the weeds on Tangled.

Jarmel

Banned
If we're talking about Disney, I really wish they would go back to 2D. It holds up better for future preservation and I feel allows more personality on the part of the animators to shine through.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Really, really, really, pumped for this. Love almost all of Pixar's work, and seeing them trying to tackle this kind of topic should be incredible.

Reversed

Hooray, I can finally reserve a ticket. Been waiting for it.

Fear sorta looks like Earthworm Jim, heh.

No comment on if there's gonna be an animated short before the movie?

jordan_laugh.gif

Jigorath

Banned

Tangled is legit. Best thing to come out of Disney Animation since... hell probably since The Lion King.

Rodin

I watched the trailer and it looked boring to me, glad to see it was well received. Maybe i'll rent/buy the br if people i trust say it's legit good.

The return of the king already happened when Disney Feature Animation released Frozen and restored their honor and god tier status
This. 100x.

This post makes me angry. The popularity of such an average movie makes me angry. Frozen is one of the weaker Disney movies in recent years, and other than the Cars films there is not a single Pixar movie that does not wipe the floor with Frozen. Frozen makes movies like Monsters University and Brave look like masterpieces.
Except there's nothing average (or bad, or mediocre) in Frozen. You really don't need to get upset over an animated movie, you can have and share your opinion, some will agree, (many) others will disagree, but "angry"... C'mon, it's not worth it.

I agree to an extent, but i think it's way better than princess and the frog and definitely doesn't feel like low quality Dreamworks. Cute story and characters, fun, horrible soundtrack, no depth. If i want to watch that kind of movie... Give me The Little Mermaid. But all around Tangled is not bad, is just forgettable.

UrbanRats

Yeah, because Frozen looked so bad...

It did.

It had some stunning moments here and there, and of course with their stupidly high budget, it's not gonna look shitty no matter what, but considering that, some parts looked pretty awful, yes.

Look at the shot of the castle from across the bridge, as all the guests are coming in for Elsa's coronation, at the start of the movie, it doesn't look good.

Compare that to Tangled or Big Hero 6, or even Wreck it Ralph, and they're much more consistently great in visuals.

Also, Elsa's ice palace looks like some plastic toys, with all those stupid colored lights.

Ultimately, the character design is a step down from Tangled, with those creepy faces and little piranha teeth all the women have.

Toxi

Banned
What are you going on about ?

John carter
Mission impossible
Tomorrowland

Are fucking great movies
Mission Impossible was great fun. Tomorrowland was disappointing (sorry Sculli, it was), John Carter was bleh. Calling them fucking great is ridiculous, they're mediocre at best.

Rodin

It did.

It had some stunning moments here and there, and of course with their stupidly high budget, it's not gonna look shitty no matter what, but considering that, some parts looked pretty awful, yes.

Look at the shot of the castle from across the bridge, as all the guests are coming in for Elsa's coronation, at the start of the movie, it doesn't look good.

Compare that to Tangled or Big Hero 6, or even Wreck it Ralph, and they're much more consistently great in visuals.

Also, Elsa's ice palace looks like some plastic toys, with all those stupid colored lights.

Ultimately, the character design is a step down from Tangled, with those creepy faces and little piranha teeth all the women have.

Couldn't disagree more, especially considering you're mentioning titles that use (way) worse tech and fx than Frozen, but hey. Opinions i guess.

Just got back from a screening. Truly something special. Almost feels like the start of a new age for Pixar.

Nice. Hope i'll hear other positive opinions.

Prax

Wow, I didn't even have this movie on my radar!
I saw an ad for it in my newspaper and was like "is this some.. low budget release?" But hearing these reviews.. maybe I ought to give it a look.

And lol at the discussion on Frozen. I concur with it's half-arsed art direction. Whew. A kajillion dollars on hair and snow tech for meh.

Zubz

Banned
Really? I've been completely uninterested in this one. I guess this means it's worth a watch, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom