• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rottenwatch: Pixar's Inside Out (2015) - 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rated-G

It reminds me of Matt Groening's theory that every great character must come with a stand-out silhouette.

I see that "theory" applied to Matt Groening a lot, and while he is a well-learned artist, really it's a long standing design principle when it comes to characters for illustration and animation. Matt Groening is just very good about promoting awareness of strong fundamentals in artists because the industry gets a lot of animators who come onto the scene with unique style and ideas but poor understanding of silhouette value and posing.

No comment on if there's gonna be an animated short before the movie?

Lava is the theatrical short that will precede Inside Out.

daveo42

Banned
is it good good or is it up good?

definitely gonna give this a shot though, the concept is interesting.

Up good would be spectacular, but even then that feels like a pipe dream with current Pixar. It'll be at least Pixar great, but I'm going to wait until after I see the film to decide if it can crack the top 3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Got to see this today. Definitely one of the stronger Pixar entries of recent times, with some very clever higher concepts and use of those concepts for smart humour (both script and visual gags). Conceptually very clever as a whole which gives the film a lot of creativity to explore. If I were to critique any parts it would be that the pacing is a little bit off at times, I think because it has to handle essentially two (or three if you want to stretch it) stories happening at once, and the outside world events with Riley aren't as interesting or developed as I think they were going for. And given the concepts it's deals with and stretches of narrative I think a lot of it might go over younger audiences heads. It does mostly a very good job of that dualism comedy where a sequence will layered to have gags that appeal to a wide spectrum of audience ages, but there's some segments where I feel the humour/sequence is geared exclusively towards teen+ audiences. I could see some younger kids getting bored.

But yeah, good stuff.

Disney's having a nationwide early screening (that's expensive as shit) for Tuesday of next week: http://www.fathomevents.com/event/insider-access-to-disney-pixars-inside-out/buy

Special Fathom Features: Experience exclusive behind-the-scenes footage from Pixar Animation Studios and a Q&A with director Pete Docter, producer Jonas Rivera and the voice of Joy, Amy Poehler. Event attendees will also receive a limited edition Inside Out commemorative poster and lanyard that includes a special code for access to digital extras.*

Fathom Events and Disney are bringing Disney•Pixar’s highly-anticipated Inside Out to theatres nationwide on Tuesday, June 16 in a special advanced screening.

This one-night event will include exclusive behind-the-scenes footage from Pixar Animation Studios in addition to the full-length feature Inside Out and the Lava short three days before its official release. PLUS following the showing of Inside Out, audiences will enjoy an exclusive Q&A with director Pete Docter, producer Jonas Rivera and the voice of Joy, Amy Poehler, live via satellite from Australia. Tweet your questions aHead of time using #InsideOutAllAccess. Event attendees will also receive a limited edition Inside Out commemorative poster and lanyard that includes a special code for access to digital extras.

Not

Banned
It comes out on Friday and it's still at 100% with 70 reviews? I think I'll see this instead of Mad Max this weekend.

What Jiggles was saying is that Cars 1+2 were Pixar misfires and (separately) Wreck it Ralph + Frozen (non-Pixar) have surpassed recent Pixar movies. So basically non-Pixar Disney is outperforming Pixar in recent years.
Wow. I totally missed most of the second line in that post. Sorry, I really shouldn't be awake at the moment.

What Jiggles was saying is that Cars 1+2 were Pixar misfires and (separately) Wreck it Ralph + Frozen (non-Pixar) have surpassed recent Pixar movies. So basically non-Pixar Disney is outperforming Pixar in recent years.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to include Cars 1, not because I think the film is great, but because it came before hits like Ratatouille, Wall-E, and UP (and Disney was giving us a way worse film ( The Wild) that same year Cars came out). So is far from the picture of "recent years"

edit: oops. thought it was the same poster from the original post being quoted, disregard please.

3N16MA

Banned
After Cars 1 & 2 and Wreck-It-Ralph and Frozen upstaging the fuck out of them, Pixar could use the victory.

Why are you bringing up Cars which was released in 2006? Pixar has had a bunch of great films since then. They have released Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 after 2006.

Nothing from Disney Animation Studio compares.

Holy fuck this could be their best reviewed movie of all time.

Eh who am I kidding? There's gonna be a few contrarian reviews vomiting some vapid criticisms for clicks.

Eh who am I kidding? There's gonna be a few contrarian reviews vomiting some vapid criticisms for clicks.
Toy Story 1 and 2 are already 100%, dunno if it'll beat that.

TS3 is 99% for the exact reason you just mentioned.

3phemeral

This came out of nowhere. I usually hear some buzz about these things because my a few of my friends are animators but I heard nothing about this. Completely stoked to watch this.

When I read the premise for this a few years ago, it sounded like something that could've easily been generic or fucked up with. It was kinda daring for Pixar to go all in with it and they stuck the landing.

What does that even mean though? This isn't their best film of all time. I can already tell it isn't even going to make my top 5. So who cares right? Let there be a critic with some balls. Too much gushing over Pixar is the reason why the academy awards never give anything else out but to Pixar films and Pixar-like films.

I'm not saying this is bad. I'm sure it is great. But hey people can have views on things. Not everyone liked Up, Wall-E, Toy Story 3, etc. Why should everyone like this film?

What? Frozen is no better than The Princess and the Frog or Tangled. The Lasseter second renaissance was in full swing years before Frozen exploded into popularity in all its "yeah, it's pretty good" glory.

Well, Princess was an amazing film. My fav of all three of those by far.

I should really catch up on Brave and Monsters University sometime.

Cars 2 can drown itself in the ocean.

Brave is like the most boring film they ever made IMO. It's up there anyway. The hair is cool though.

I don't ever buy the Pixar gushing on Rotten Tomatoes. This doesn't really look like my kind of film but I'll see it sometime.

I dare say this movie talks more to grown ups than it does to children. In that regard, it's "similar" to Up, even though the subject is the complete opposite. It's hard to explain without spoiling.

The movie is fun too, which helps a lot.

Peru

Frozen was a lot.. a lot better than Tangled and the Frog Princess, and most other Disney films. Doesn't make too much sense to compare those with Pixar movies though - except for the tepid Brave, they haven't really tried telling Disney Animation Studios-style classic fairytales. When Pixar fails it's usually because the idea is bad - a lazy sequel, talking cars, a formulaic underdog fable. When they dare to do something different their success rate is pretty stunning. The fear was that they'd lost it. That the original thinking people left or lost their mojo. It seems with this there's still that spark in Pixar.

Lace

Frozen was a lot.. a lot better than Tangled and the Frog Princess, and most other Disney films. Doesn't make too much sense to compare those with Pixar movies though - except for the tepid Brave, they haven't really tried telling Disney Animation Studios-style classic fairytales. When Pixar fails it's usually because the idea is bad - a lazy sequel, talking cars, a formulaic underdog fable. When they dare to do something different their success rate is pretty stunning. The fear was that they'd lost it. That the original thinking people left or lost their mojo. It seems with this there's still that spark in Pixar.
I'm in the exact opposite boat and feel that Tangled was a far better movie than Frozen. However I can completely understand why people may prefer Frozen. I definitely agree with your other points about Pixar. I'll be honest and say I was ready to write off this movie based on their recent efforts.

Just got its first rotten (C+ is rotten?) review. 99-1.

His page is being blown up by angry RT users
KuGsj.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
These scores are insane
Itsa shame about the timing of the release
With jurassic world being so big and Minions coming out three weeks later it will probably under perform

These scores are insane
Itsa shame about the timing of the release
With jurassic world being so big and Minions coming out three weeks later it will probably under perform

Variety predicts it'll be the first Pixar movie to not open #1 at the BO, but a $60+ million OW would put it in-between other Pixar original recent films like “Wall-E” ($63.8 million opening) and “Brave” ($66.3 million opening).

and going by the reviews, adults might actually get more of the film than kids.

Leeness

Just got its first rotten (C+ is rotten?) review. 99-1.

His page is being blown up by angry RT users
KuGsj.gif

Well... the critic is using "fuck" and all caps in his review, phrases like "wike widdle girl's feewings" and in the comments replying to criticism by calling people "bro", so...eeeeh.

Is it meant to be a professional review? :/

Amir0x

Banned

Why do people always do this? Can someone not watch a movie that is considered by consensus to be a good movie and have legitimate criticisms, even going so far as to think it's bad? Is your fear of rottentomatoes metrics so significant that you must ascribe nefarious motives to their opinions such as "clickbait"?

I am super excited for this movie, but if I love it with every fiber in my being I hope I come to this thread and see a ton of people with different opinions from me, so everyone won't be a lemming and more captivating discussion might arise. Echo chambers blow.

Sulik2

I thought this looked horrible from the previews, but these reviews look amazing. I may have to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom