• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain how these people are using the character? I was under the impression that it was just a data mine with some details, but now I see that there are videos of the character being played.

Ryu isn't a free download, is he? I assumed he'd be a paid character.
Hacking

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So Wolf still holds the distinction of being called the "clone" despite having the most unique animations out of all the "similar" characters huh?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Can someone explain how these people are using the character? I was under the impression that it was just a data mine with some details, but now I see that there are videos of the character being played.

Apparently they're somehow tricking the game into loading up the characters models through Training Mode (the game "thinks" it's Mario since it uses his portrait), but I can't tell you how these wizards do this stuff.

Mistle

Doc actually has different properties though like having a shorter jump (giving him a better short hop game than Mario making him better for matchups like Ness), a dair and a down b that actually murder low recoveries, a fair that's useful on stage and a nair that gets stronger the longer it's active among other things.

I mean he's still largely outclassed but I think he's different and interesting enough.
Yeah, agreed. I play Doc over Mario most of the time. I do rather well with him and like his options.

There was a data mine before. Now, there was some free update preparing for the release. Some clever people knew how to have the update pushed to them early. The update gives everyone the character data so they can play against people online who have the character even if they don't have it themselves. Then mysterious clever hacking stuffs happened to load the characters into training mode.

I actually don't mind Landmaster for Wolf. Could totally see him stealing the blueprints from Star Fox to use it against them and to sell it.

Falco, on the other hand...

Hatchtag

Banned
Any big info in the last 5 or so hours?

If not, I'm guessing Street Fighter stage will be bundled with Ryu. I kinda wonder if Dreamland 64 could be the first of a stage season pass. Maybe release one a week or something. Wouldn't be hard for them to port a lot of old stages.

It just seems odd that everything seems to be swinging Fire Emblem's way while some of the other series are left in the dust. Maybe all circumstantial, but when Fire Emblem has both of its Brawl veterans back, one new unique character, a new clone, a heavily modified returning clone as DLC, and a new stage in both versions, it stings when other series like Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox essentially gained nothing and only have one new stage in one version. There's definitely an imbalance there, and whatever reason it is, I think it's absolutely fair for it to leave a bad taste in some fans mouth.
Once Wolf comes back I think Star Fox will be mostly alright representation-wise since before Star Fox U it was a fairly dead series, but DK and Metroid I absolutely agree on. Weird as hell DK doesn't even get a simple Rambi or Cranky Kong AT, let alone his own 3DS stage or more music when DKCR and DKCR3D were huge hits. Something like Sunset Shore from DKCR where each player is a silhouette would've worked well on the 3DS if they were color-coded. Could've even had a similar mechanic to Pac-Maze's pellet gimmick where each 3DS only shows which silhouette is you. Metroid could've gotten a Fusion or Metroid 2 stage and Star Fox a simple pull from the 3DS remaster of Star Fox.

Still reckon if all the Kirby stuff in this update is anything to go off, the ballot even if it doesn't result in Dixie or K. Rool will let the team know DK got a bit neglected in SSB4.

Wolf is a clone in the same way that technically Sakura is a shoto clone, they share the same general motions but play completely differently.

not a worthy trade imo

Lol you've got to be kidding me. I mean Mewtwo's loss was pretty big but Sonic brought more to the Smash series than Mewtwo did, arguably.

Besides, while Sonic's late inclusion in Brawl led to him being a bit weaker than the other fighters, he was buffed significantly in Smash 4 so he's much more viable.

One thing I don't really care for in this patch is every time someone boots up Smash Bros for the first time ever, the first thing they'll see is "You've unlocked Miiverse!!"

Which is kind of weird and maybe even a little confusing.

Maybe they should put a really low, arbitrary unlock requirement on it, like "Turn the game on twice" so at least every single new copy of Smash booted after tomorrow doesn't have this message as the first thing these players see.

Revven

Apparently they're somehow tricking the game into loading up the characters models through Training Mode (the game "thinks" it's Mario since it uses his portrait), but I can't tell you how these wizards do this stuff.

I'll tell you a very simple way it works. It's very similar to how you'd do it if you were modding Brawl before people figured out how to create more character slots.

You change every instance/reference to Mario's files to Ryu's or Roy's files. This would just be the SFX files, model file, animation file, and move set file. The instance/reference being changed is basically what the game loads up. It's not tricking it so much as it is just altering some points in memory to force it to load these files instead of Mario's. Crediar probably just neglected to load the character portraits (it'd probably take more effort and unnecessary time to switch the portraits).

He switched what was loaded via Mario's character select slot.

In Brawl, before the CSS could be expanded by codes, you could do this same thing to load up say... DK with Mario's slot. That's how people were able to essentially "replace" characters in Brawl with new ones for awhile.

Lol you've got to be kidding me. I mean Mewtwo's loss was pretty big but Sonic brought more to the Smash series than Mewtwo did, arguably.

Besides, while Sonic's late inclusion in Brawl led to him being a bit weaker than the other fighters, he was buffed significantly in Smash 4 so he's much more viable.
ok maybe to you but not to me. Sonic sucks, hes washed out. I wouldve went mewtwo + roy any day of the week. 2 is better than 1 afterall, besides sonics moves are trash, theyre practically all the same shit. If they were different he'd at least have that going for him. And dont tell me "well what would he do besides turning to a ball?" Cause I didnt even want him in the first place. At the time I was like alright that's fine I guess but hes just a disappointment in more ways than one imo.(at the time. Idc anymore cause my precious mewtwo is back. Wasnt part of the original roster as he so rightfully deserves but all is forgiven)

So many people really do believe "I don't like thing" is equal to "Thing is stupid/overrated/washed up/undeserving/a wasted slot/not relevant/etc."

It honestly boggles the mind.

Less than 12 hours to go, folks! I don't know about ya'll, but I'm still hyped for the presentation tomorrow morning. Even if we've had all of our E3 Smash surprises spoiled, seeing how the official announcement goes down will be fun and there's the whole part about, you know, actually getting to play around with all this new content (or at least some of it)!

Neiteio

So many people really do believe "I don't like thing" is equal to "Thing is stupid/overrated/washed up/undeserving/a wasted slot/not relevant/etc."

It honestly boggles the mind.

Less than 12 hours to go, folks! I don't know about ya'll, but I'm still hyped for the presentation tomorrow morning. Even if we've had all of our E3 Smash surprises spoiled, seeing how the official announcement goes down will be fun and there's the whole part about, you know, actually getting to play around with all this new content (or at least some of it)!
I am leaving to a friend's house to carpool to a museum at 11:15 a.m. EST (so 15 minutes after the presentation) ;_;

I'll be staring at world-famous art wishing I was flinging fireballs as Ryu :-(

Spinluck

I'm so happy people are still crying about Sonic's inclusion.

I hope he's in Smash forever, nerd tears will always be the most delicious.

Spinluck

Man, it is going to be disappointing if somehow Ryu and Roy aren't playable tomorrow.

Yeah that would suck.

So who else doesn't really care too much about who we get next? Honestly I'm just glad to see Smash get such great post release content.

I mean, fucking Ryu, as a fan of Nintendo and games in general, how can I complain?

HiroTSK5

So what are the odds of the Smash Ballot being discussed tomorrow? I think that would at least give us something interesting to look forward to tomorrow, besides Ryu and Roy's release dates.

Man, it is going to be disappointing if somehow Ryu and Roy aren't playable tomorrow.
The only scenario I can see would be Roy and Lucas tomorrow, with Ryu at E3, released right after.

Any other length of time and it wouldn't be worth shipping them all.
『Inaba Resident』;167719285 said:
I see it going either way. We could get all three tomorrow or:
Lucas tomorrow, Ryu in July, Roy in August.
I hope I'm wrong though. I'm trying not to get excited about getting all 3 tomorrow just in case it doesn't happen.
There's no way they space them out this far. It would have been pointless to release such a late patch where the content is unused for montes

From a sales perspective, I think it needs to happen. With footage out in the wild, hype will only trend downward. Folks are pumped right now, but with E3 on Monday, much of it will be forgotten.

I hope they're also playable tomorrow but knowing nintendo I doubt it. Itll probably be 1 character a month. Prove me wrong nintendo :)
I'm so happy people are still crying about Sonic's inclusion.

I hope he's in Smash forever, nerd tears will always be the most delicious.
Im assuming this is directed at me? If so, im not crying nor did I ever. He brought up that sonic being included was a big deal and was worth cutting mewtwo and roy and im saying I disagree, especially with the way he turned out. That doesnt equate to crying.

Spinluck

I hope they're also playable tomorrow but knowing nintendo I doubt it. Itll probably be 1 character a month. Prove me wrong nintendo :)

Im assuming this is directed at me? If so, im not crying nor did I ever. He brought up that sonic being included was a big deal and was worth cutting mewtwo and roy and im saying I disagree, especially with the way he turned out. That doesnt equate to crying.

Wasn't directed towards you so don't take it personal.

:)

Red Devil

It just seems odd that everything seems to be swinging Fire Emblem's way while some of the other series are left in the dust. Maybe all circumstantial, but when Fire Emblem has both of its Brawl veterans back, one new unique character, a new clone, a heavily modified returning clone as DLC, and a new stage in both versions, it stings when other series like Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox essentially gained nothing and only have one new stage in one version. There's definitely an imbalance there, and whatever reason it is, I think it's absolutely fair for it to leave a bad taste in some fans mouth.

Well, the reality is that Fire Emblem is currently one of the popular Nintendo's IPs, so that's that.

Also can we discuss how weird it is to have Akira Yuki and Jackie costumes for the Mii?

He was definitely differentiated from his "base" more than any other, but his specials are just Fox and Falco remixed.

It's hard not to think of him as a clone.

If his Side B and Up B were given to, say, Samus, no one would say clone. What likely happened was Sakurai looked at Wolf, asked how they could make a few ideas used in Fox and Falco distinct, and then made an entirely new moveset with a few conceptually similar moves.

Pizza

Yeah that would suck.

So who else doesn't really care too much about who we get next? Honestly I'm just glad to see Smash get such great post release content.

I mean, fucking Ryu, as a fan of Nintendo and games in general, how can I complain?

I haven't cared since my holy/impossible trio of duck hunt, Dr mario and Pac-man we're confirmed! Ryu actually being in smash is nuts. There are characters I'd *like* to see (wonder red, inkling girl) but I don't really see them happening.

If we got lots of stages I'd be so damn content. That's really all I want. Stages would make me go wild. The roster is so damn good but when I get to stage select 80% of the time I hit X for omega out of impulse.

And final destination used to be my least favorite stage in smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom