• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG-Age - Getting Back Into the Genre

Ryu

With the upcoming slew of RPG's (Valkyrie, LO, Blue Dragon, FFXII, FFXIII et al, Luminous Arc, Jeanne d'Arc and so many others), I'm looking to get back RPG's and I need your help, GAF.

Ever since Final Fantasy X [and a few MMO's thereafter], I have completely abandoned the console RPG genre. In fact, the last good regular RPG I played that i can remember was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the GBA. My chief complaints were the fact that many RPG's were too slow and required this big 3-4 hour time sink before it starts to get interesting. I really enjoy fast paced solid combat and deep engrossing stories that capture you from the outset. Though my likes may, in many opinions here I'm sure, contradict with the RPG's I enjoy (Chrono Trigger, FF6, 7, 8 somewhat, FFTA, and a few others - looks like Dragona can exit the thread now if they so wish :p), but I'm still standing here with open arms for all opinions.

I'm looking to get back into the genre and I am honestly looking for one or two RPG's that can truly wipe the slate clean with a fresh start. No Oblivion please or any game as open ended. All console recommendations welcome, please keep it local (US releases) and try and keep it current gen as I'd rather not have to hunt for some 90 dollar RPG on the Saturn or PSOne. Other than that, I'd really love to hear GAF's recommendations.:)

Beezy

If you liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, you should be able to like anything. :/

Fast paced combat? Try the Grandia and Tales games.

Ryu

Beezy said:
If you liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, you should be able to like anything. :/

I don't think console and handheld RPG's should be held to the same standards. Handheld RPG's need a pick-up-and-play-and-drop-after-15-minutes quality to them and FFTA had that in spades. Console RPG's don't exactly need that kind of functionality.

Fast paced combat? Try the Grandia and Tales games.

Never tried Grandia. I played Tales of Symphonia, but the story didn't grab me. :(

Grayman

and games with the final fantasy tactics name had that to live up to :lol

I have gotten out of playing them too. So no modern suggestions. I'd say replay one of the old ones.

I've got this problem too. I dropped out after FFVII though

I'm just waiting for next gen RPGs to hopefully get me back in touch with them. White Knight Story, LO, and maybe FFXIII (depends on if the male lead is as androgenous as past iterations) have a chance at helping me jump the wall.

Beezy

Ryu said:
I played Tales of Symphonia, but the story didn't grab me. :(

Well Tales of the Abyss ships for PS2 on October 10th. The japanese speaking gaffers have been calling it the best Tales game so far.

Odysseus

Banned
Rookies1stDay said:
I've got this problem too. I dropped out after FFVII though

I'm just waiting for next gen RPGs to hopefully get me back in touch with them. White Knight Story, LO, and maybe FFXIII (depends on if the male lead is as androgenous as past iterations) have a chance at helping me jump the wall.

For the record, it appears the lead will be female in XIII.

To the OP, well, you didn't like ToS, but I would have recommended that since it appears you are looking for something of the JRPG variety. If not and if you have an Xbox, then I can't praise KOTOR enough.

Reilly

SMT: Nocturne
Disgaea - Hour of Darkness

buy these two games and prepare to fall in love

your wallet will cry

Phthisis

I would definitely have to recommend the Shadow Hearts series. You would probably do well to start with Shadow Hearts: From the New World. It's a completely stand alone story in the series, and it's fast-paced, has a well-told story, and is realtively short (40 hours, approximately).

Plus it's a good game (though nowhere near as good as the first 2). And it's what, 30 bucks now?

Odysseus said:
For the record, it appears the lead will be female in XIII.

Wikipedia said:
The only confirmed main character as yet is the young woman featured in the E³ trailer, though Square Enix has confimed that she will not be the player's character.

Couldn't find the article that mentioned this, but I remember reading it elsewhere. Hopefully somebody can find that article.

Well, I'd reccommend Kingdom Hearts. The first or second, you can altogether skip Chain of Memories unless you really get into the story and like card game battles.

Are they releasing Disgaea Hour of Darkness in the states for PSP?

Its a SRPG with an emphasis on grinding. Might be nice to have a portable version to play when ever.

Ryu

I would definitely have to recommend the Shadow Hearts series. You would probably do well to start with Shadow Hearts: From the New World. It's a completely stand alone story in the series, and it's fast-paced, has a well-told story, and is realtively short (40 hours, approximately).

Hmm, I'll do some reading up on this. Sounds intriguing...

Xenosaga I / III
DQ8

I heard good things about III but heard I was more of a non-game so to speak.

Isn't DQ8 slow as all hell?

Suikoden III (and maybe) V

Not a big fan of the Suiko series. :(

Keep the suggestions coming, please. :)

Ryu

Mr. Spinnington said:
Well, I'd reccommend Kingdom Hearts. The first or second, you can altogether skip Chain of Memories unless you really get into the story and like card game battles.

Bought 1 and 2 for my girlfriend and she enjoys them (cept for the gummi ship in part 1) and I took a passing interest. Had to beat the guitar weilding boss for her in part 2, haha though I hear he's the toughest boss in the game so meh.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
DQ8 is pretty slow, that's because the NA version has so much added crap but the game is very fun.

and since you havent play RPGs for awhile going by your post I think you should try DQ8 since it's a very accessible RPG.

Phthisis

DQ8 is an awesome, amazing game, but it's very traditional and is long long long. I'm at the 85 hour mark and I still haven't beat it yet. If you have the time to invest, then definitely go for it as it's wonderful.

I should also suggest Radiata Stories as well. The battle system is real-time (and more hack and slash based), but it pulls off an impressively crafted game world and characters. The story, however, falls apart about halfway through, and at that point, the real fun of the game comes from trying to recruit every character to your party. Radiata Stories is also short (about 30-40 hours). It's really kind of hit or miss for most people; I enjoyed more of it than I disliked.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hey Ryu. I'd be thrilled if you and I could start talking shop on RPGs more again. I think that's what you and I used to talk about most years ago. No offense to those here, but I think that most of the advice given out here isn't really for you.

You can be a tough nut to crack sometimes.

Despite that, I'll hesitantly suggest that Tales of the Abyss and Valkyrie Profile 1 & 2 might be your best bets. I haven't played TotA yet, but if it really does combine ToS' sick combat with a much more competent set of characters and story, then it cannot but be awesome.

As for VP, I think it'd meet your criteria of fast gameplay and engrossing story, if you can be bothered to get over the steep noob learning curve (a possible issue for you) and be convinced to attempt the A ending (both for the huge story and character development pay off, and the tie-ins with VP2)!

Lots of the games mentioned here are good or downright great... but not necessarily right for you, IMHO.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Ryu said:
Not a big fan of the Suiko series. :(

So, to summarise you're wanting recommendations of recent RPGs suitable for someone who abandoned the genre after FFX and has no soul.

Shadow Hearts 2. Can't be emphasized enough. Looks slick, fun as hell combat system (and good character customization/stat mongering that's really fun but completely optional), very well-told story that gets rolling right away at the beginning. Easily available for $20. Can't possibly lose.

callous

It would seem I have the same taste as you in RPGs (except I think Suikoden I+II are some of the best RPGs ever made), and the only RPG this gen that gave me the same feeling the RPGs from last gen did is FFX-2. So, FFX-2 is my recommendation. It's fast and it's awesome. Bear with the rather embarrassing opening movie and it's all good from there.

Shadow Hearts would come as a close 2nd place.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
As much as I love DQ8 and SMT3, they are terrible choices for those who have not yet accepted RPGs as the true path to gaming goodness.
If a Gamecube or GBA are available, I'd suggest Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door or Mario & Luigi. After playing through some tough as nails RPGs last year, I found them a nice refreshing break and lubed me up for more good toughies like DQ8 and Digital Devil Saga.
If you liked FFTA, I'd suggest giving one of the Fire Emblems a shot. A bit different but really good for the short bursts. I haven't completed one yet, but I still pick them up once in a while, give the mission a start, sometimes win but mostly lose and RARGH a little and then go on, but still satisfied with the time spent.
And DQ8 isn't slow, but long. Battles are very fast (albeit a little slower than the past, but still speedy). The very nice thing about DQ8 for those not totally RPG'd up is that dying doesn't cost you much. Okay, sure you lose half your gold and any items used, but you keep experience and items gained. And that's nice.

Edit: Oh yeah, FFX-2 is a very refreshing game, if you can handle the cheesiness. I found it really fun and a nice break from the norm.

Error

how is DQ8 a terrible choice? aside from being long, game is very accessible.

and yeah SMT3 is a terrible choice.

keanerie

DQ8
Vagrant Story

The former is totally accessible and incredibly engrossing, the latter you need to really work through to understand but is one of the most rewarding games I've ever played with an absolutely superb story.

And FF Tactics and Chrono Cross.

birdchili

Dragon Quest is very playable in one-hour chunks, but the combat is *slow* and extremely generic.

SMT: Nocturne has a blazing fast combat system and a minimal, though interesting story (the subject of no small amount of debate here). You might want to check out Digital Devil Saga 1/2 (which I haven't played) which concentrate more on story/character development and has a similar combat system.

Radiata Stories has a simple, actioney combat system and a lot of "heart". The story is horrible, however.

Dark Cloud 2 is a straight-out action rpg with nice quick combat and a story that rivals Radiata Stories for pure horrifyingness.

I recommend all of the above, but I can't think of a single rpg from this gen that has both a great story as well as a nice quick combat system (of course, there weren't very many good rpg stories at all this gen...) Nocturne is closest, but it's really a pretty hardcore rpg, and the story is pretty minimal, so bear that in mind if you go that route.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
DDS and DDS2! Its brilliant. Its got very fast combat, great graphics, excellent characters and an amazing story. You cant go wrong with buying this.

Error

psycho_snake said:
DDS and DDS2! Its brilliant. Its got very fast combat, great graphics, excellent characters and an amazing story. You cant go wrong with buying this.
did you get my PM?

Speevy

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Am I nutty? How is DQ8 slow?

I'd say that if you don't like the combat, it would probably be unbearably slow over 100 hours. But I loved it. Great game, very accessible.

birdchili

Dragona Akehi said:
Obligatory BOFV pimp post.

yeah... i'd recommend that (highly) too, except for the fact that the combat is slow.

the "save anywhere" is nice for shorter play sessions, however.

great story and combat system both. just not a *quick* combat system. most overall interesting console rpg i played this gen.

birdchili

RevenantKioku said:
Am I nutty? How is DQ8 slow?

load random combat, load just about every attack animation *during* combat. very tedious.

i loved the game, but i wonder what rpgs you think have slow combat if DQ:VIII is fast.

Dragon Quest is awesome *in spite of* its slow pedestrian combat system. it just does everything else so wonderfully well (story, pacing, exploration, visuals, voice acting, monster design, etc, etc...)

Error

birdchili said:
load random combat, load just about every attack animation *during* combat. very tedious.

i loved the game, but i wonder what rpgs you think have slow combat if DQ:VIII is fast.

Dragon Quest is awesome *in spite of* its slow pedestrian combat system. it just does everything else so wonderfully well (story, pacing, exploration, visuals, voice acting, monster design, etc, etc...)
which is ironic because the dragon quest remakes have incredibly fast battles, especially DQ3r.

and the battles in DQ8 jp version are a lot faster and there isnt as much loading as in the NA version.

Get Devil Summoner when it comes out. Fast-paced, crazy story, great character/demon designs. It doesn't even play or feel like other Shin Megami Tensei games, so it'll be something fresh to reset yourself with.

October 10th.

Duderz

Banned
Mejilan said:
VP1 + A Ending (fast combat, great story) + VP2 are your best bets, IMHO.

*thumbs up*

Can't think of faster, tighter combat than Valkyrie Profile. Survive the first 40 minutes or so and you're good to go.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
birdchili said:

FFX, Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, I dunno. Outside of MegaTen and DQ, battles aren't usually that fast.
Duderz said:
*thumbs up*

Can't think of faster, tighter combat than Valkyrie Profile. Survive the first 40 minutes or so and you're good to go.
Er, while the animations are fast, VP's battles tend to take a loooong time.

Duderz

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
FFX, Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, I dunno. Outside of MegaTen and DQ, battles aren't usually that fast.

Doesn't FFX-2 have really fast-paced combat?

Then again, if it does, does the OP really want to subject himself to it?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
RevenantKioku said:
Er, while the animations are fast, VP's battles tend to take a loooong time.

What the shaz are you talking about? VP's battles take seconds! Seconds!

RevenantKioku

Duderz said:
Doesn't FFX-2 have really fast-paced combat?

Then again, if it does, does the OP really want to subject himself to it?
It's one of the best RPGs this gen, so yeah.
Mejilan said:
What the shaz are you talking about? VP's battles take seconds! Seconds!
No way. Maybe if you know what you're doing they'll go faster but if not it'll take a while. And the boss fights are LONG LONG LONG.

Top Bottom