• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG-Age - Getting Back Into the Genre

Ryu

Dabbled in FFX-2 already and though I liked the combat, the story was stupid (having not cared about the story in FFX either however, this shouldn't be a surprise). Valkyrie Profile 2 sounds like a sure fire winner, however.

What does everyone think of FFXII? Would that fit my criteria at all (Solid story, great combat)?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
RevenantKioku said:
No way. Maybe if you know what you're doing they'll go faster but if not it'll take a while. And the boss fights are LONG LONG LONG.

It's not that complicated. Launch enemies with magic or a decent archer, and annihilate them with melee fighters. Rinse repeat. Normal combat generally takes me 10-30 seconds. Most bosses 1-2 minutes.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mejilan said:
It's not that complicated. Launch enemies with magic or a decent archer, and annihilate them with melee fighters. Rinse repeat. Normal combat generally takes me 10-30 seconds. Most bosses 1-2 minutes.
Once you get it all down, sure. Maybe. But your first time will not be this way. My replay was a lot faster.
FFXII was my biggest disappointment this generation so my opinion probably shouldn't be taken. But the battles are boring.

Mejilan

RevenantKioku said:
Once you get it all down, sure. Maybe. But your first time will not be this way. My replay was a lot faster.
FFXII was my biggest disappointment this generation so my opinion probably shouldn't be taken. But the battles are boring.

I disagree. I spent MORE time on the game on my replay than I did in my initial run-through, more farming. But I was just as efficient in my fighting the first time around. It REALLY isn't that tough or complicated to "get". Ryu, in particularly, won't have a hard time, once he gets beyond the learning curve.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mejilan said:
I disagree. I spent MORE time on the game on my replay than I did in my initial run-through, more farming. But I was just as efficient in my fighting the first time around. It REALLY isn't that tough or complicated to "get". Ryu, in particularly, won't have a hard time, once he gets beyond the learning curve.
Dude, 10-30 seconds per battle though? It might take that long for one enemy, especially when they start really blocking well and you're waiting for your mage to get back up. Wait Reaction helps a lot, but without really precise timing they sometimes still get their guard back up.

Mejilan

RevenantKioku said:
Dude, 10-30 seconds per battle though? It might take that long for one enemy, especially when they start really blocking well and you're waiting for your mage to get back up. Wait Reaction helps a lot, but without really precise timing they sometimes still get their guard back up.

I can usually wipe out an enemy party in one round. Two tops. I'm not even joking. A solid mage, Valkyrie with a divine (3-hitting) bow, and two solid sword or spear fighters (preferably also with divine, 3-hitting weapons), and you can annihilate just about any enemy party, of any configuration) in one or two rounds. Mage can guard break and/or launch one fool. Valkyrie's bow should be able to launch another with a minimum of fuss. The 5-9 attacks remaining attacks between your 2 melee fighters and Valkyries remaining bow strikes should be enough to wipe out the rest AND secure enough exp crystals magic orbs to boost your exp and replenish your mage's magic bar for the next round (assuming you have your accessories properly set up)...

RevenantKioku

Eh, I guess I'm just not that good.
I was wiping things out a LOT faster in Chapter 7 and 8 but up untili then things were slow. Especially fights at Lezard's tower.

lyre

Pokemans Emerald

MM Battle Network 2

Both on GBA, both allows you to save anywhere and any time, both are easy to get into, both have quick battles, and both are massive fun.

And if you liked what you played, then you can graduate from Emerald to either finding buddies and link battle with, Pokemans Diamond/Pearl whenever they hit NA, or SMT3: Nocturne (Pokedemans game). And for MM BN2, just go on to 3, 4, 5, and 6.

And I personally would suggest Nocturne to the topic starter and anyone else who has played jRPGs before. Afterall, a little pain doesn't hurt every now and then. :p
Afterall, I played it just fine and all I've played, other than my long bouts of Pokemans, various MMBN games, was Grandia 3 years ago.

Ryu

Bought Valkyrie Profile 2. I guess I should go join that already humongous friggin thread. Wish me luck there.

What about FFXII though? How is the combat there? It's Square so I already know the story is epic, I heard it was more political. Can anyone who has played it (or beaten it) comment?

Mejilan

Enjoy VP2, Ryu!

RevenantKioku said:
Eh, I guess I'm just not that good.
I was wiping things out a LOT faster in Chapter 7 and 8 but up untili then things were slow. Especially fights at Lezard's tower.

Though I'm not suggesting that this was your issue, it IS easy to get carried away with the button mashy-mashy in this game and just get thoroughly owned, particularly if you get carried away with running away. Since in most areas, fights (and thus, exp) are limited, you could really set yourself up for later disaster by not training yourself to exploit enemy weaknesses, and just fleeing instead, robbing yourself of much-needed levels.

RevenantKioku

Mejilan said:
Though I'm not suggesting that this was your issue, it IS easy to get carried away with the button mashy-mashy in this game and just get thoroughly owned, particularly if you get carried away with running away. Since in most areas, fights (and thus, exp) are limited, you could really set yourself up for later disaster by not training yourself to exploit enemy weaknesses, and just fleeing instead, robbing yourself of much-needed levels.
Nah, mashing was only done to make sure my PWS got fired off before I lost too much of the combo meter.
And I never ran away. I hate running away in RPGs and often lose hours of work because of that. :lol

Mejilan

RevenantKioku said:
Nah, mashing was only done to make sure my PWS got fired off before I lost too much of the combo meter.
And I never ran away. I hate running away in RPGs and often lose hours of work because of that. :lol

First time I ran away in VP1, I realized I had permanently "lost" the experience for that encounter, so I wound up reloading, losing hours of game-time. :D

Another time, I was towards the end of a dungeon, hadn't saved in at least a good hour, walked into an undead dragon fight without any Dragon Blades equipped, and got pwned in one turn. Lost all that progress too, because I simply refused to run away and lose those thousands of experience points and loot!

Beezy

yudaan said:
You need more than: 1: Play better and 2: Don't suck? :p

gruntfan435be569202560tk1-1.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I played DQ I II V & VI(original Super Famicom) and loved them. Will I like DQ VIII? Is the story in VIII up to par with V or at least VI?

And most importrantly, how does the difficulty rate against the previous ones?

Speevy

Banned
I've heard that DQ8 is better than all of those.

Of course, I can only tell you that DQ8 is awesome by itself.

RevenantKioku

I thought VIII's story was pretty good. Although V and VI were probably my least favorite DQ games so hey.

Mejilan

I think it's kind of funny. I probably own most of the JPRGs released in the US over the past couple of gens, but I gotta say, I've always avoided the Wild Arms. :D

Play DQVIII.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
ok.....been playing DQ8 for about 6 hours, and i haven't hit anything that's made me want to keep on other than the beautiful world and the nice music. i'd hate to think i was expecting too much of this one, but everybody kept referring to this as the best rpg of last year.

what's in store for me if i continue? or is the point of the game its simplicity? i want to love this one, honest.

oh and paging red scarlet: what was it about this particular game that made you put so many hours into it? i started playing mainly because i read about your hundreds of hours put into it, thought it was a good sign.

Red Scarlet

Well, if you like exploring the world so far, there's lots to find as you progress through (and the recruitable monsters). If you're expecting epic plot twists and they are a driving factor, DQ8 will probably disappoint you. There's lots to look for and try out, though.

I had fun then decided to write a guide for it, with the horribly incorrect idea that it would be shorter than my DQ3 guide. Plus it was the only new game I got until around October 2005 (MGS3), then November 2005 (US version). That and the fact that I was very surprised by the game when I got it aided in my wanting to replay it. DQ7 (and 6, which I was playing when my 8 arrived in the mail) left a rather sour taste in my mouth, so I wasn't expecting much for it, and just decided to get it for my collection. I thought it was the first brand new DQ that was really enjoyable since 4 on the NES, so I went hog wild with it.

Do not use my playtime as a quality meter. I play a bunch of games a whole lot, even ones I don't like too much. I'd not use anything I say or do as a quality meter for anyone else, since I am so weird.

I won't hate you if the game turns out to be a bust for you. :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Red Scarlet said:
I won't hate you if the game turns out to be a bust for you. :)
thank you.

i put in 3 more hours, and it's definitely picking up drastically for me. hmm, did turning the voices off have a positive effect? :lol the exploration factor is just too addicting to call this a bust, and the bulk of the game may be archaic, but it's the best execution you could hope for. just hope it doesn't get too boring after, oh, the 50th hour.

Top Bottom