• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Hangout

Winter John

I noticed there wasn't a thread for general chat about rpgs so thought I'd make one. I been getting into jrpgs recently. I'd tried a couple out in the past but I didn't click with them. I bought the Dragon Quest game last year, pretty much on a whim. I was going to buy Tomb Raider but it looked average at best so I picked up DQ instead and I thought it was great. The graphics were nice, it had some real funny moments in it but the main thing was I didn't have to grind to finish it. That's been my bugbear with jrpgs in general. I don't like grinding. I gave up on Ni No Kuni after about 10 hours or so because it was getting grindy as hell. Same with the Final Fantasy game I tried.

Anyway, I bought Tales Of Berseria after that. I wasn't a fan of the combat. Halfway through I set it to auto and let the game do it's thing while I made coffee or browsed the net. It was the story and the characters I enjoyed. Like DQ it didn't take itself too seriously and it was a decent game. I didn't do many of the side quests. There were classified zones and demons to hunt which I ignored but I felt like I got more than my money's worth just doing the main story. I'll probably go back to it one day and do them on new game+.

Now I've started Persona 5. I don't know if it's for me. I like the combat and the graphics. The music is great but I don't know if I'm going to like the high school setting but I'll see how it turns out.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am about 50 hours in to Dragon Quest 11 but was thinking about replaying P5 after. With the new P5 coming soon, I guess I have to make a decision to replay P5 with all stats and social stuff already built up, or if I should start clean with whatever the next version will have. I can really only handle 2 games at a time, so I may just wait it out. Wonder if there is any chance the remake or whatever they are calling it will bring in the stats of the old version?

Sentenza

Subscribed.
As long as we don't end just talking about JRPGs, the genre is my jam.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
To my great shame, I've never finished a Final Fantasy game, so this last weekend I aimed to start rectifying that. I'm not interested in going back too far or playing every single one, so I decided I'd start at 6 (since many claim it's the best) and do at least 7, 8, 9 and 10 (since I see those talked about the most).

Around 4-5 hours deep, I got to the ghost train boss before I ran out of time to play. It's good - I must say that it's not my usual style of game, and the difficulty balance is outrageous (almost impossible to lose 99% of the time and then a boss comes along and slaps your shit to the ground), but I'm enjoying it. I'm already invested in the characters and am quite interested to see where the story goes, even though I think I know generally what happens midway through.

Duellist

Nice thread idea, I'm about 100 hrs into dragon quest 11 right now and love it. I'm going to try for the platinum and that right there says something because I normally could give two shits about getting trophies

Last edited:

Pallas

I’m on and off currently with Star Ocean: ‘TIL the end of time on my PS4 Pro, I’ve cone to appreciate the game a bit more then I did when I first played it back on the PS2.

ROMhack

I tried to emulate Xenosaga the other day but my PC wasn't having it. Made me sad.

Playing Shenmue II at the moment and I don't mind admitting that it's boring me a bit, lads.

hecatomb

Banned
I need to finish chronicles of the radia war, such a good game. And way ahead of its time, I don't know why it didn't come to America. It even pre-dates star ocean and most action rpg games.

Last edited:
I tried to emulate Xenosaga the other day but my PC wasn't having it. Made me sad.
That's strange, since PS2 games don't require crazy specs (I can't play current gen PC games yet can run PS2 games just fine). I had some trouble with Xenosaga III (some cutscenes got slow, others freezed if I remember correctly) but I bypassed that by tinkering with video settings.

Last edited:

ROMhack

That's strange, since PS2 games don't require crazy specs (I can't play current gen PC games yet can run PS2 games just fine). I had some trouble with Xenosaga III (some cutscenes got slow, others freezed if I remember correctly) but I bypassed that by tinkering with video settings.

I was using my laptop to be fair. It'd probably work fine on my actual PC but I'd have to sit on my desk.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I miss the old RPG-specific enthusiast sites like The Vault Network and the Gaming Intelligence Agency. Anyone remember those?

The Mage's Tale was released on PSVR yesterday. Anyone tried it there or earlier on PC? Looks like a lot of fun.

Manus

Once I finish up Kingdom Hearts 3 I just had Digimon Cyber Slueth Hackers Memory come in. Loved the first one and can't wait to start this one.

Havoc2049

Playing Shenmue II at the moment and I don't mind admitting that it's boring me a bit, lads.
The pacing in Shemue games can be a bit slow at times. The sense of wonder that the Shenmue games brought to the table is still there, but not quite as strong as it was back in the early 2000's. The pace picks up in Shenmue II once the fighting tournament starts.

RPGs, FPSs and Simulations are my favorite genres. I love RPGs, both WRPGs and JRPGs, but I'm partial to WRPGs.

I'm currently playing through Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition (XB1), Torment: Tides of Numenera (XB1) and for some retro love, Beyond Oasis (Genesis). I'm about 12 hours into Vesperia and enjoying it so far. I just started Torment, explored the afterlife, created my character and have been brought back to life and still figuring out what the hell is going on..lol. In Beyond Oasis, I think I'm nearing the home stretch and should complete the game soon.

Duellist

Thinking about grabbing that tales of vesperia definitive edition when I'm done dragon quest 11. How does it compare to dq11? It will be my first tales game.

Havoc2049

Ya, I knew ththaththat from a couple videos. How about exploration, sidequests, story? Etc Sorry should of been more specific.
I've never played a DQ game, but I'm enjoying Tales of Vesperia so far. The characters and story are enjoyable and not annoying, like some JRPGs can be these days. The pace of the game is smooth and doesn't feel like a grind. The combat is rather deep with it's combo system and power moves. I can see why Vesperia was somewhat of a cult classic last gen.

ROMhack

Good news. I have procured a modded PS2 so should finally be able to play Xenosaga.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently working through KOTOR 1, just got to the sea planet so we'll see how that goes. Overall I'm having a blast, it's such a fun game and I enjoy messing with Bastila.

ROMhack

I'm currently working through KOTOR 1, just got to the sea planet so we'll see how that goes. Overall I'm having a blast, it's such a fun game and I enjoy messing with Bastila.

Does it hold up well? I never played the original, just KOTOR 2 and really liked it despite its reputation.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Does it hold up well? I never played the original, just KOTOR 2 and really liked it despite its reputation.
For me it does, but I’m old and still play some games from my Atari ST so your mileage may vary. Voice acting is good, story is excellent, it feels like Star Wars in the way the prequels do and the sequels don’t.

Drake

Been playing SMT IV recently All I heard about this game was how the beginning was brutal and the Minotaur boss was going to want to make you quit the game. I beat him on my 2nd try. It was just a matter of finding his weakness and using the right buffs/de-buffs.

would people be interested in doing a group "rental" of Panzar Dragoon Saga?

example:
ideally 6 of us would team up - I would buy the game for 300$, the other 5 people would pay 25$ at time of purchase. then each person would get to play the game and pass it on to the next person and as each person receives the game they pay their remaining 25$ balance. so essentially everyone would pay 50$ total to rent the game. and me taking the risk, plays it last and keeps it. seems like a pretty good idea to do with some reliable and responsible gaffers. esp if its the only option you have to get to play the game.

havent fully worked out the kinks as there are some other ways we can do this concept, but this idea of group rental popped into my head recently and it sounds really tempting.

Havoc2049

Panzer Dragoon Saga is going for $700+ these days. I'm thinking about buying a repo copy, along with a repo of the English translation of Policenauts.

Last edited:

Maguro

Last rpg I played was dragon quest 11. Put 150 hours into it, all characters level 99 and all trophys. A nice game but a bit a drag during the end. I probably gonna sell it to buy the switch version which will have the 2D game on it and then I'm excited to play through that mode.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is going for $700+ these days. I'm thinking about buying a repo copy, along with a repo of the English translation of Policenauts.

thanks for heads up, might buy a repro and actionreplay cart to play it

although this seems like straight up piracy, which im not a fan of if i dont have the actual game

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
My persona experience was a strange one. Played it for 10 hours, didn’t send the calling card in time ... thought it was stupid and dropped it. Completed Witcher 3’s campaign instead.

Came back to persona, started having a good time. The music was catchy. I was having fun.

80hrs later.... WHY WONT THIS GSME F***king END!?

Went back to Witcher and its expansions

PS - During this experience i came to the conclusion that Witcher 3 was the best action adventure fantasy rpg or whatever the hell you want to say it is... ever... still.

Last edited:

Zephir

Playing FF9 now, but i have to continue i am setsuna and xenoblade chronicles 2....on ps4 i've almost got the platinum in kh3, but i've to continue dq11, .hack g.u. and star ocean....and i'm STILL at the first location in dark souls 3 and bloodborne....

My RPG backlog is so long, it just asked me to insert CD2

ROMhack

I might have to start making this my hang out zone as the main section is being very whiny. I even had a dream last night they made a 'political gaming' section of the forum :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Anyway rant over. I got Octopath for my birthday and it seems pretty neat so far. Only played a few hours, started as Cyrus, the academic. He's on a quest to find a hidden tome, stolen from clutches of whichever benevolent force was supposed to be guarding it but didn't. Good fucking job guy, you literally had one job.

The quest continues.

Last edited:

Helios

The controls and gameplay are about the same in both games. KOTOR 2 improves on the skills and makes them more useful. The story is also vastly different in terms of tone.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Death end re;Quest is Compile Hearts best game to date and they did zero advertisement on it. If you like JRPG's get this when its 30 bucks and if you REALLY like JRPG's I'm sorry I do as well and life is pain.

So I'm playing Bravely Default and I reached the part where I have to put the orichalcum in the engine room of the Grandship (I'm still in chapter 3, I think). How far am I in the game? halfway through maybe?

HotPocket69

Banned
Great thread

90s Squaresoft is my jam

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time

Couldn't get through KH3

Still working on DQ11 but god knows when Ill finish it

Ni No Kuni 2 was the last great RPG I completed

Mr Hyde

Love RPGs. WRPGs, JRPGs, turnbased, actionbased, adventurebased, you name it. Best genre in video games. Playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 right now and I love it. Some minor nitpicks but overall it´s a damn fine game, with a terrific story, good characters and a fun combat system.

After I´m done with that it probably leans towards Tales of Vesperia. I haven´t played Tales-game since Xillia, since I got somewhat burned out on them from doing Symphonia, Graces F and Xillia back to back. But now that it has passed six years since I played a game in the series I feel more than ready to take on the series once again. And seeing as Vesperia has gotten so much praise, with many claims of being the best in the franchise, I can´t wait to sink my teeth into it.

ROMhack

I've been putting more time into Octopath and am coming to the conclusion it's a pretty 'ehhhh its okay' game.

Looks brilliant and the battle-system is top notch but I really dislike the presentation of the story.

Last edited:

NewComer

I'm glad this thread is here! I've been playing KOTOR 1 and have been enjoying it. My problem though is that my game keeps on crashing on that world with the Jedi masters. I'm not sure how to get past it.

klosos

I'm glad this thread is here! I've been playing KOTOR 1 and have been enjoying it. My problem though is that my game keeps on crashing on that world with the Jedi masters. I'm not sure how to get past it.

Have you tried running kotor in compatibility mode XP or Windows 7 ? I played it last year and i got a bug when my Character would fuse in place after a battle , if you get that issue you have to turn Vsync on in game and in Nvidia settings and that fixed it for me.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
NewComer NewComer - Kotor 1 is quite crashy. I got the stuck after battle thing and sometimes it would resolve after 20 seconds, sometimes I'd have to save, load and continue. There's a bug where it'll crash if you use a lift - the fix there is to turn off mouse look for that segment then turn it back on afterwards. Where exactly is it crashing on Dantooine?

Hudo

I need to confess that I like Breath of Fire III and IV more than Lunar... I don't know why I am so conflicted about this.

I also agree with ROMhack ROMhack about Octopath. I really like the battle system, it flows quite nicely, and I really like the visuals and the music! I have read about the story issues beforehand and thought "Oh well, so I play it for the visuals and the battle system". But the plot issue is starting to grate on me. It is quite inelegant how the game just stops caring about the plot after each individual's chapter 1. Maybe it should've been more akin to the dungeon crawlers from yesteryear. Don't focus on the plot at all and full focus on the battle system, the environment (puzzles etc.) and presentation. That approach works for Etrian Odyssey, for example.

Bwesh

Ctrl+F - Radiata Stories

You guys sleeping on one of the best Jrpgs on PS2.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ya, both are steller.

The first game blew me away, wayyy better then i was expecting. (More of an action game with very light rpg elements, vs what we got.

They're absolutely wonderful games. I finished KOTOR 2 and honestly it was mind blowing. I'll definitely go back to do a dark side run at some point. Moved onto Mass Effect now - the budget clearly went up, the game makes more sense now I've played KOTOR, I don't love that it's now a cover shooter, though the RPG bits are still pretty decent. Visually it holds up well, the graphical leap in just 2 years from KOTOR 2 to Mass Effect is huge.

Hayriko

Booted up DA:I again after buying the dlc pack for cheap. Damn where did bioware go wrong after da:i and I know it isn't the greatest da game but its hella fun even the mp is still active at times on ps4. Considering to do a nightmare run soon.

Waiting impatiently for Divinity Original Sin 3. Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are by far the most enjoyable RPGs in recent memory. The story is what you make of it, but the skills, character builds, powers and set-piece fights are fantastic!

Couch co-op on Steam using xbox pads = Pure gaming heaven.

Top Bottom