• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Hangout

Wanted to see how hard the final part of Xenoblade is, so I went and began fighting the final bosses

"Disciple Dickson gave me a little trouble in his second form. I'm at level 81. Than I got to Zanza first form who murdered all my characters I use. "

So, I'm going to be grinding to level 99 and doing some more sidequest

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Picked Golf Story back up again. It's hit and miss* but makes for a nice podcast game.

*Pun not intended.
Game was fun but I think "hit and miss" is the best way to describe it. Those Frisbee golf sections still give me nightmares, such terrible controls.

JSoup

Banned
Ever seen Dragon Sinker? Look at this shit.

ss_7a59cec40c6be7fc35f2ef3dd54ae7b15576b10b.1920x1080.jpg

Does that make you hot?
It makes me hot.

Straightforward RPG stuff right here, kids. You're on a quest, you get various people with various jobs split among three parties that you can switch freely between to get the job done. It's....stupidly fun and only really super challenging when you get down to the endgame content. A nice turn your brain off and grind for a bit kinda RPG. And it's on like a million systems, you can get this crap on your phone if you really want to.

It looks nice, but the colors are a little too hard for the eyes as far as I'm concerned. The ghost sprite could use more shading for example.

I'm curious how well this sold... which reminds me, I'd love to partner with a small indie dev to work on things like character design and story to complement the talent who is in charge of art, coding, and music.

I finished Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii. Great ending. Xenoblade 2 is stil my favorite one so far. I'm onto Xenoblade X. I just started but I'm really enjoying it. It feels much different from the previous Xenoblade games I played.

I'm playing Yokai Watch 2. I'm a huge fan of the first game, and I'm really enjoying the sequel

Lanrutcon

Spent a few days on Chaosbane (PC, Diablo 3 ripoff set in the Warhammer universe). It's really bland, basic and can't compete with Grim Dawn, PoE, etc.

Only good thing that it has going for it is controller support and local coop.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I spent a few days setting up a system to play old DOS games and then I spent today flipping back and forth trying to decide which old school dungeon crawler RPG to play.

I settled on Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos. I missed out on the PC dungeon crawlers during the genre’s heyday and I’m trying to get up to speed. After 30-40 minutes tonight, I’m digging it.

Duellist

Just started tales of vesperia definitive edition. Only about 2 hrs in and so far I'm not sure what to think. Battle looks like it will be fun but not sure about the rest of it yet. After playing Dragon Quest 11 having a rpg with a fixed camera is frustrating. Cant believe they went that route. Graphics are nice though and I do like the how they did the world map.

SpiceRacz

I've got the itch for an RPG. The 3 I had in mind are YS VIII, Dragon Quest XI, and Persona 5.

Which one of those 3 would you guys recommend?

Duellist

I've got the itch for an RPG. The 3 I had in mind are YS VIII, Dragon Quest XI, and Persona 5.

Which one of those 3 would you guys recommend?
Dragon quest 11 for sure. Loved it. ys VIII was awesome but it's more action rpg and the translation from Japanese to English is comical( horrible). Still awesome game though. I never played Persona 5 so cant comment on that one.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Does anybody else find FF8 a bit slow? I'm just after the second disc and it feels like the game is moving at the speed of treacle.

WolfAddressBox

Neo Member
...I'd love to partner with a small indie dev to work on things like character design and story to complement the talent who is in charge of art, coding, and music.

Well, I'm part of a whole team, but never too many hands, just depends on how you want to collaborate :)

Frizzie

Banned
The Atelier series has caught my eye for years now but I have never taken the plunge. Recently Blue Refelection by the same developer was in a PSN sale so I thought I would give it a go.

I knew it was very easy so I have set the combat to hard from outset. So far I have really enjoyed it. It's the first "slice of life" JRPG I have played and I'm finding it pretty relaxing.

What makes a pleasant change for me is the lack of grinding. Character levels do not increase through battles as you only recieve items for crafting. This means that you can work at avoiding enemies in the dungeon areas and then pick and choose your fights against quest related monsters only.

I also really like the vibrant visuals and the music is very good.

Go play Labyrinth of Refrain.

Thank you so much for recommending this. As a gamer who grew up with games like Dungeon Master and Captive this is a must buy for me. I never thought I would ever see a first person dungeon crawler on Playstation.

Just finished Labyrinth of Refrain, so glad I gave it a go! Spent just over 100 hours with it, strongly recommend to anyone looking to scratch that turn-based itch!

Really glad you enjoyed it. I'm definitely going to give this one a go!

Last edited:

Stimpak

I'm currently working through KOTOR 1, just got to the sea planet so we'll see how that goes. Overall I'm having a blast, it's such a fun game and I enjoy messing with Bastila.

Enjoy, brother. That’s my favorite BioWare game. Wish I could play through that for the first time again.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoy, brother. That’s my favorite BioWare game. Wish I could play through that for the first time again.
It was amazing. So was KOTOR 2. I'm annoyed I waited so long but it was absolutely fantastic to experience both games for the first time. They are star wars in ways the Disney films never can be.

rrice64

Neo Member
Kind of in between rpgs right now, considering replaying Final Fantasy XV. I like playing on my Xbox more than PC, so I'm trying to get into something there if I can. I've beaten NieR: Automata, Kingdom Hearts III, etc. but maybe doing stuff in XV I haven't done before could be cool. Has anyone gone back and played it since release? Yay or nay?

I guess I could always finally try Dragon Quest XI thru geforce now streaming..

GreyHorace

New here. I guess now's as good a time as any to post in this topic. Been playing RPG's since the original Baldur's Gate. In fact, I guess you could say it was Bioware that brought me into the genre. Loved their games and played them on every system even up to Dragon Age: Inquisition. By that time though, Bioware had fallen far from grace and it's been painful to see. I didn't even get Mass Effect Andromeda.

To other recent games though, well, of course there's The Witcher 3. Fantastic game and I've finished it multiple times and it still never gets old. Other recent rpgs I've played include Persona 5 (my first in the series. Incredible game. Not playing it again until P5: The Royal comes out), Pillars of Eternity (which I haven't finished sadly), and Divinity Original Sin 2 (had a ton of fun with this one, but I've put off finishing it because I'm too busy with Sekiro).

Don't know what rpg to be hyped for in the future, aside from the obvious one (Cyberpunk 2077). Maybe the Final Fantasy 7 remake? It looked good and the gameplay looks interesting but I'm still undecided.

Nikanuur

Neo Member
Hi, has anyone tried Dragon Age: Inquisition lately? Has it changed much with mods and updates since the beginning? I had disliked the first one at first for being MMORPG likeyish, then became fan of it, but I couldn't get myself somehow over the new inventory-giving-bonuses style of the third instalnment. How's the game in general?

Frizzie

Banned
Does anyone know if there are anymore first person dungeon crawlers on playstation like the Labyrinth of Refrain? This is a genre I would be very much interested in.

Trying to look myself but my work internet is extremely restrictive when it comes to gaming websites :messenger_unamused:

D.Final

Banned
Kind of in between rpgs right now, considering replaying Final Fantasy XV. I like playing on my Xbox more than PC, so I'm trying to get into something there if I can. I've beaten NieR: Automata, Kingdom Hearts III, etc. but maybe doing stuff in XV I haven't done before could be cool. Has anyone gone back and played it since release? Yay or nay?

I guess I could always finally try Dragon Quest XI thru geforce now streaming..

When you play Final Fantasy XV, play the Royal Edition or the Windows Edition directly.
(because they also contain all the DLCs of the game)
[with the sole exception of Episode Ardyn]

In total there are a lot of new things to do, for over 25/30 hours of new content.

rrice64

Neo Member
When you play Final Fantasy XV, play the Royal Edition or the Windows Edition directly.
(because they also contain all the DLCs of the game)
[with the sole exception of Episode Ardyn]

In total there are a lot of new things to do, for over 25/30 hours of new content.

Thanks for the tip. I did buy the royal edition upgrade a while back, but it was after I already beat it (I just knew I'd want it eventually). I think I"m gonna go for it, thanks!

Nester99

Was told Ys 8!is worth checking out. Had never played a Ys game so got a bunch of the old ones on pc during the steam sale.

Just finished Ys 1 and about to start 2.
Still playing xenoblade 2 off and on

rrice64

Neo Member
Was told Ys 8!is worth checking out. Had never played a Ys game so got a bunch of the old ones on pc during the steam sale.

Just finished Ys 1 and about to start 2.
Still playing xenoblade 2 off and on

Ys is a series I never got into. The later games looked more appealing, but don't they all follow the same main character? I'm not sure I could plow thru the old ones to get to the newer ones.

game_nomad

Something distinct about the original Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 - in those games after you initially set the values for your core 7 attributes, you have very few chances during the game itself to change them. I do not think I have seen it in another system, at least not to this extent

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I just picked up FFX/X2 HD remaster for Switch. I remember getting really far as a kid but getting destroyed on one of the major end game bosses and eventually giving up.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into this when it arrives tomorrow through the post, it's probably the last great traditional JRPG of classic Square Enix before things started to go down hill, I miss old school JRPGS. Octopath Traveller was decent, and shows that SE can still make old school JRPGS when they really want to.

Anyway, hoping I can finally beat the game this time. The battle system was genius. Good times.

Any other fans of FFX here?

rrice64

Neo Member
I just picked up FFX/X2 HD remaster for Switch. I remember getting really far as a kid but getting destroyed on one of the major end game bosses and eventually giving up.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into this when it arrives tomorrow through the post, it's probably the last great traditional JRPG of classic Square Enix before things started to go down hill, I miss old school JRPGS. Octopath Traveller was decent, and shows that SE can still make old school JRPGS when they really want to.

Anyway, hoping I can finally beat the game this time. The battle system was genius. Good times.

That's my favorite Final Fantasy game. It does start to get tough, but there is an opportunity to grind towards end game that helps. Plus you can go after all the ultima weapons or whatever they're called I can't remember, and that makes stuff easier, too. It's a great jrpg with a great story.

I played FFX for the first time last year and loved it thoroughly. Everything from the world to the party and the battle system was really, really well crafted. Some mini-games and temples were poorly designed but that wasn't a dealbreaker. I listen to the soundtrack frequently--anything with Masashi Hamauzu in it is big yes in my book. Uematsu also managed to fit in some of his genius too. The other person who composed music, can't remember his or her name, did a good job as well. Overall a fantastic JRPG, I wouldn't mind playing it again sometime.

Helios

Does anyone know if there are anymore first person dungeon crawlers on playstation like the Labyrinth of Refrain? This is a genre I would be very much interested in.
I know you've requested a ban but just in case you come back - I haven't played the game but by the looks of it the sub-genre you're looking for is blobbers. We had a thread about it somewhat recently.

I'm currently going through Octopath (just completed all of CH.1). I really like the battle system however the disjointed narrative is making it really difficult for me to stay interested.

I started with Ophilia and it's just weird how you start a characters arc and how it might take over 12-15 hours until you pick back up on it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Trying to look myself but my work internet is extremely restrictive when it comes to gaming websites :messenger_unamused:
The Lost Child but that is way more barebones.

fatty

Doing a replay of one of my favorite Final Fantasies, FFIV remake on the PSP. Last time I played it was when it came on as FF2 on the SNES. Just finished the scene where Palom and Porom do their sacrifice for the team...seems like events are moving along a lot faster than from when I played it as a kid.

I also like that FFIV keeps things moving along with the story, pretty simple storyline so far without some of the convoluted mess of the other ones.

Says something that after all these years of playing the different games in the series, the story in this one is the most memorable for me. I still remember major event points from this one before it playing it again, but with the later entries the stories have been pretty forgettable, except for maybe the endings.

Does anybody else find FF8 a bit slow? I'm just after the second disc and it feels like the game is moving at the speed of treacle.

It’s been a while but that is the only FF where I stopped after one of the discs from boredom (maybe it was the second), and didn’t finish it until months later.

Winter John

I bought Dragon's Crown and Odin Sphere the other day. I forgot how much fun those games are. The graphics are cool as shit too

DelireMan7

Playing Final Fantasy VI for the first time. 17 hours in and I really like it. The character are great and unique. The different progression system, unique ability (Love the SwordTech from Cyan and Blitz from Sabin) and the Esper system.
I can understand the legendary status it has. I wish I have played it on release, it would have much more impact on me.

Since years I want to play all Final Fantasy post VI (X, X-2 and XV played on release and VII in 2013) and I found a good deal for FFXII so I ordered it.
Also a friend of mine will lend me his Wii with Xenoblade Chronicles.

Don't know which of them I'll play first after beating FFVI.
But as I am also playing Dragon Age Origins on the side (around 47 hours in and it's awesome but seeing my playstyle and what the main quests ask me to do, I estimate to a miminum of 30h more to finish it...), I might not jump into another RPG immediately and do a lighter and quicker game in between. I am considering SpiderMan, the first Batman Arkham Asylum, another run of Dark Souls 1 or 3. Also if the next DLC of Dragon Ball FighterZ is confirmed to be Janemba, it would be a nice side game the time I finish Dragon age and then jumping into FFXII or Xenoblade.

I'm currently going through Octopath (just completed all of CH.1). I really like the battle system however the disjointed narrative is making it really difficult for me to stay interested.

I started with Ophilia and it's just weird how you start a characters arc and how it might take over 12-15 hours until you pick back up on it.

I had the same issue. After 20 hours (completing all the first Chapter and 1 or 2 second Chapter), I sold it. When I bought I was thinking that you pick a character, do his story and if you want pick the others characters. But in fact the game more or less force you to recruit everyone before continuing. So hard to get into each story for me.
Sad because the battle system is awesome.

Just started FFXII on PS4/Vita remote play, and I regret not discovering this game earlier. I am pretty early on, finished my first run through the mines, but the gambit and license systems already have me addicted. The characters seem interesting enough. The music is absolutely top notch (Sakimoto <3). I'm already looking forward to finally starting Vagrant Story and FF Tactics after I'm done with this game.

Dthomp

Psyching myself up to finally after years begin Megadimension Neptunia VII. Played the first ones on PS3 and skipped all the side shit and vita ones and want to free up some hard drive space on the ol PS4 so gonna give this a try and see if it's entertaining. Wish me luck :)

Currently playing Fire Emblem Three Houses. I'm only 4 hours in, I'm really enjoying the game especially the exploration parts of it. Like how everyone you talk to is fully voiced acted.

I started Final Fantasy V a week or so back. I have played it off and on a few times, but I am trying to really get into it. I like certain aspects, but others just kill me. I feel like the bosses speed is just ridiculous, and that they also get some cheap multiple hits per turn. I assume they have them like this to make them a challenge, but that kinda thing really irks me. The game bosses should play by the same rules and be challenging within that.
Still, it is a great game that I am having a lot of fun with. The music, and also background sprite work, really make the game too. The Square 16 bit sprite artist are second to none in my book

I downloaded the Grandia remakes for Switch last night...never played the first one and while I have a Dreamcast copy, I never finished it. Starting the first one this weekend and hear's hoping I can make it through!!

I downloaded the Grandia remakes for Switch last night...never played the first one and while I have a Dreamcast copy, I never finished it. Starting the first one this weekend and hear's hoping I can make it through!!

Good luck! I have not played Grandia, but it is on my list of games to get/play. Let us know how it goes!

Yeah, and PS3, PS2, PS1, SNES, NES, I think I even played an RPG on N64, but in all honesty, it wasn't that good. :)
On come on...you mean you didn't like the masterpiece that was Quest 64??? LOL but while there wasn't many rpgs for the N64, Ocarina of Time stands out. That game was amazing back in the day.

On come on...you mean you didn't like the masterpiece that was Quest 64??? LOL but while there wasn't many rpgs for the N64, Ocarina of Time stands out. That game was amazing back in the day.

In all honesty, I hold a special place in my heart for Aidyn Chronicles, and somewhat Quest 64. You had to take what you could get on the N64 as far as RPGs were concerned. Also, mentioning Ocarina as a RPG is bound to trigger the "Action RPG vs JRPG vs CRPG" rage. :)
In a related note, has there been much discussion on the (what I am going to call) "Ring" system Turn based RPG? I think it was created and died on the N64. I can think of Quest 64 and Aidyn Chronicles that use it, and to a lesser extent Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story. Are there any other titles that had the predefined ring you could run around in your turn freely, then pick a command, and wait out battle with the other monsters? I remember in Quest you could even dodge attacks if you were quick enough.

I completely agree on taking what you can get with the N64. And for me it really doesn't matter if it's an action rpg, jrpg, crpg, strategy rpg, western rpg, i love em all!! I don't think i ever played Aidyn Chronicles but i did rent Quest 64 and it was ok for what it was. I also enjoyed Vagrant Story though i never finished it. Couldn't really get into Parasite Eve...not my jam.

Yeah, Parasite Eve is on my list to play, but I have not dusted it off in so many years, or decades really. I also rented Quest 64, and I remember thinking at the time the 3d world was so vast, and wanted to get to the next town and explore. I eventually got to the water town and then lost interest/had to return it. I have since gone back and played it and ... it is a rough game to play, but has it's charm. I really find the RPG (turn based) games on N64 really interesting, and I think the only one I have not played is Ogre Battle 64.
Aidyn Chronicles and Quest 64 I lump together with the same sort of system (ring turn based), and then there is Hybrid Heaven, which is a turn based 1:1 fighter for the battles, and then exploration within a big facility a la Metal Gear Solid. Although made by Konami, if you go into this game comparing it to MGS you will be VERY disappointed. Other than that for turn base I can only think of Ogre Battle, which again, I have not played. I need to get that one and round out my N64 Turn Based RPG Collection :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ROMhack

I've started replaying FF8 again. Got about 20 hours into it before some [REAL LIFE BULLSHIT] came up and I paused.

I honestly really enjoy like the game, maybe even more than VII. I find that I care a lot more about the characters and really dig the experimental qualities of the plot.

Squall is a classic edgelord but it suits him because he's an arrogant teenager who doesn't understand how to handle the responsible he's given. It's realistic to consider him being in that situation rather than in more straightforward games where characters handle going out to save the world with no obvious psychological issues.

Then you have thoughtful scenes like where Selphie is simply enjoying being on a train. Or the random conversations that break out between Rinoa and Squall.

FF8 really considers those small moments, not just the grand adventure.

The junction system also adds an extra layer of depth to the gameplay, as well as the brilliantly fun mini-game: Triple Triad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom