• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Indie Hangout

ROMhack

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2018
There's probably a few threads on indie games already but I admire the RPG Hangout thread on this board so want to create one for discussion of indie games too.

What's an indie game?

An indie game is whatever exists in your heart as an indie games. That means anything from Kongregate and Itch.io titles to the heavy hitters of the console scene (e.g. Hollow Knight and What Remains of Edith Finch).

Here's a game that just got ported to Switch:

.​

Here's a random but great free game (steam page):

.​

I'll be updating the board regularly with recommendations and the like.

Feel free to chime in with talk about games you're excited about, or maybe ones that you finally managed to clear from your backlog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helios and llien

Helios

Jun 13, 2018
Currently going through The Messenger. Haven't gotten to the 16bit part yet, but so far I like the movement quite a lot.
I've also been playing a lot of Warhammer Vermintide 2. The combat in this game is amazing, but I don't really like the itemization. Got to level 30 on Saltzpyre. Playing through Champion difficulty right now but I might switch to Legend once I get a bit more gear.
I'm also thinking of getting Mordhau. That game looks like a ton of fun.

Last edited:

_William

Neo Member
May 7, 2019
Idk if A Hat in Time is really counted as an indie game, but it´s so much fun. I´m half-way through it, and really excited to finish it! :D

ROMhack

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2018
Nintendo currently having a digital sale, I just bought...

Looks good. Ghibli-esque or so I've heard.

Unsure if the sale is EU only.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2013
Nice idea for a thread. Over the last few months i've spent more time playing indies and falling in love with gaming all over again. It's a welcome break from the focus tested, generic sandbox, hyper realistic, lowest common denominator AAA drivel we've had over the last couple of years on this gen.

Having little free time i wanna play stuff that's pretty chill, less punishing but has fantastic and interesting art direction and memorable sights & sounds.

Game's i've finished over the last couple of months are: Journey, Rime, Bound, Limbo, Unravel & Every-bodies Gone To The Rapture. I found them all breathtaking and incredibly moving for their own unique reasons and part of the charm is going into them practically dark, It's like being a kid and playing that random PS1 game with no reference that came with on your demo disk or that your friend lent you because his parents brought him a random game and he isn't bothered about entrusting you with it.

Reactions: Helios

game_nomad

May 29, 2019
Bulgaria
Maybe this thread is for bigger games, but I played a LOT of amazingly original recently released indies. I will list some here. Also those in my list look amazing stylistically:

• Slime Rancher - farming game where you build a ranch with exotic alien creatures. The cool thing is that each species has abilities and behaviors that mess with the surrounding ecosystem. And you can crossbreed them, combining said abilities
  • Octogeddon - casual game where you play as gigantic mutated octopus monster. Each tentacle is a mutated creature head that shoots in specific way. For example bee tentacles shoot homing stingers
  • Clone Drone in the Danger Zone - still in early access, but it is a lightsaber duelling game with full dismemberment. You can literally cut pixels from your opponent
  • Fidel Dungeon Rescue - turn based dungeon crawler, you move on a grid and cannot visit tiles you a already visited. All enemies have weird properties, so it is a puzzle to kill as many as possible get maximum XP. But not slow puzzle, but smart and super fast
  • Deadbolt - you play as the Grim Reaper, you are undead assassin that works for a mysterious God to hunt other undead - zombies, vampires, etc. Ultraviolent

ROMhack

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2018
Hey remember when I said I'd update this regularly and forgot all about it.

Here's the game I'm playing:

I'm about halfway through and enjoying it a good deal. Story is a bit cookie-cutter and the game is on the easy side but it's a rather pleasant adventure. Just got through the forbidden forest, which I saw people got lost in a la the water temples but thankfully I didn't have any trouble.

I've seen it likened to Iconoclasts and unfortunately I didn't like that one as much. Maybe I should give it another try.

Great music too.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Both "Stories: The Path of Destinies" and "Omensight" are on sale in a bundle for 8.99 on the Xbox store right now. Both games are absolutely delightful in the way they essentially marry an isometric dungeon crawler with the storytelling of a 'choose your own adventure' book from our childhoods.

ColonizerJ

Neo Member
Aug 24, 2019
I love the idea of supporting indie devs and their games. Doesn't mean I dislike triple A's tho. But who knows, one of these days a really awesome game from an indie dev may pop up again and take the gaming world by storm.

I mean, Warframe (DE) used to be indie. Look at their success now. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Rya.Reisender

Neo Member
Aug 26, 2019
Germany
www.youtube.com
Indie games have been amazing lately. I put so much time into playing Super Hexagon, Downwell, Slay The Spire, Frostpunk, Tooth & Tail, Parkitect and Battle Brothers the past few years, that I guess it's currently the genre I invest most time in.

Other indies of late I really liked: Forgotten Anne, Corpse Party (original game), Dead Cells, Timespinner, The Messenger (though slightly too hard for me), The Last Door (all seasons), Yoku's Island Express, CrossCode, Cosmic Star Heroine, Shadows of Adam, Tower of Time, La-Mulana 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Crypt of the NecroDancer (but only when playing with bard), The Mummy Demastered, Axiom Verge, Legrand Legacy, Hollow Knight, Vaporum, Cuphead, Undertale, Downwell, Super Hexagon, StarCrawlers, ...

(Actually didn't check in detail if all of them are true indie.)

Reactions: ROMhack

Rya.Reisender

Neo Member
Aug 26, 2019
Germany
www.youtube.com
They Are Billions was just released on GoG and I really like it. It's super hard, though.
It's the first RTS where I was actually forced to religiously build walls because it was impossible to beat even on the easiest difficulty without them.

Helios

Jun 13, 2018
Picked up FrostPunk. I'm not a big city building fan but I really liked the setting of this game and it's grabbing me. Managing all those resources while trying not to expand too much from the center or other heat sources is quite challenging.

Reactions: nikolino840

ROMhack

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2018
I wonder, has anybody played a game called Device 6? Only available on iOS and maybe I'm stretching the term 'game'. It's kinda like a text adventure based on The Prisoner. Also has one my favourite ending songs.

Last edited:

ColonizerJ

Neo Member
Aug 24, 2019
Have you guys played the board game Settlers of Catan? I ran out of people to play with so I was looking for an online / PC game and stumbled upon this gem: https://colonist.io

From what I've experienced it was like playing the real Catan:

Got the screenshot from Google. The UI stayed true to Catan.

Plus the devs are really cool as they talk with us in discord and stuff. Might be worth a try!

Katsura

Aug 7, 2019
I love me some indie games. A couple of favourites, which i'm sure everyone know by now but just in case someone missed them

Dead Cells
A metroidvania rogue lite. It nails everything for me. Smooth, skill based combat (I've seen a stream of a guy completing the game at highest difficulty without getting hit once). Lots of stuff to unlock. Very different play styles depending on the build you're going with. I think i'm around 200 hours played on the Switch version

Slay the spire
A deck builder rogue like. While it might appear simple at first, there is a very complex game hiding beneath the surface. So many builds to aim for, 3 classes that play very different from each other, rogue like meaning that no 2 games are the same and once you beat the game with a character you unlock a new game+ version for it, up to new game +20. I put at least 300 hours into this one

Rya.Reisender

Neo Member
Aug 26, 2019
Germany
www.youtube.com
Wow, a new King's Bounty. I still have the original game for Mega Drive (Genesis). I also played the new King's Bounty games, though I feel they always drag on a bit too long, so I love them for 30-50 hours and then just don't feel like finishing them.

Wonder how King's Bounty 2 will be like, the trailer doesn't show any gameplay and it's looks quite 3D, so not sure how well the gameplay holds up. Most of the time when the "great new thing" about a new title of a series was the transition from 2D to 3D, it ended up being really disappointing compared to the original.

Oh that reminds me, I still haven't tried Anodyne 2.

Managing all those resources while trying not to expand too much from the center or other heat sources is quite challenging.
Really loved Frostpunk too. My initial experience was quite frustrating, but then I learned that once you reach a point where you can barely even survive, it's better to just restart the whole game, because otherwise it just spirals down into despair where it's impossible to survive the final frost wave. Once you got the hang of where to place which buildings and what to prioritize first, it became a really enjoyable experience.

Have you guys played the board game Settlers of Catan?
Yes! It's probably my favorite board game next to Carcassonne. I have this weird PVE fetish so I prefer to play against the AI, though! (including co-op)

Hemg

Neo Member
Aug 20, 2019
Bro, APE OUT is an rollercoaster of emotions.

And Jacob Geller is an awesome analyst, he literally goes wild on this!

Helios

Jun 13, 2018
Has anyone played this title? I am currently playing a few games at the moment, but I want to check it out soon:

I did, though I got side-tracked and started playing some other things. From what I've played it was great, very reminiscent of old Fallouts. Interesting leveling system too.

Reactions: RydonStarLives

RydonStarLives

Neo Member
Jul 31, 2019
USA
lastlegend.manakeep.com
I did, though I got side-tracked and started playing some other things. From what I've played it was great, very reminiscent of old Fallouts. Interesting leveling system too.
Yeah, I have heard good things. Very robust systems with a lot of different options for play. Do you know if the guy or Studio has done anything else?

RydonStarLives

Neo Member
Jul 31, 2019
USA
lastlegend.manakeep.com
Well, instead of UnderRail, I started playing this, as it was cheap on steam:

Not sure it counts as Indie, but it "feels" pretty Indie. Meaning that the combat is pretty basic (not meaning that in a derogatory way) and the game states are pretty cut and dry so far. Walk around, talk to people, buy some stuff, get a quest. talk to someone, battle begins. All actions are now within the battle, etc. I like it as it is easy to pick up and play and the plot so far has me engaged. Comparing the combat to something like Jagged Alliance 2 also makes this combat seem basic, but I am not that far into the story, so it might pick up later down the time.

Helios

Jun 13, 2018
Well, instead of UnderRail, I started playing this, as it was cheap on steam:

Not sure it counts as Indie, but it "feels" pretty Indie. Meaning that the combat is pretty basic (not meaning that in a derogatory way) and the game states are pretty cut and dry so far. Walk around, talk to people, buy some stuff, get a quest. talk to someone, battle begins. All actions are now within the battle, etc. I like it as it is easy to pick up and play and the plot so far has me engaged. Comparing the combat to something like Jagged Alliance 2 also makes this combat seem basic, but I am not that far into the story, so it might pick up later down the time.
Returns is a bit rough around the edges. The story takes a weird turn around the end point. Both Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong are way better in my opinion. Both in terms of gameplay and in terms of story. And yeah, it is definitely indie.

Last edited:
Reactions: RydonStarLives

RydonStarLives

Neo Member
Jul 31, 2019
USA
lastlegend.manakeep.com
Returns is a bit rough around the edges. The story takes a weird turn around the end point. Both Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong are way better in my opinion. Both in terms of gameplay and in terms of story. And yeah, it is definitely indie.
Good to know. I will have to check out the other two after I finish the first one

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
underrail is excellent but the item management is a little taxing

Rya.Reisender

Neo Member
Aug 26, 2019
Germany
www.youtube.com
underrail is excellent but the item management is a little taxing
I think item management is the main reason I rarely play CRPGs/WRPGs. I don't want to spend half the playtime sorting my inventory and thinking about what I want to get rid of. Just give me unlimited inventory and a "Sell all junk" button that sells all items not needed for any quest.