• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPGs with great characters, world and writing

killatopak

As far as I remember, in that game you have some limit how much could you transform and after that you just lose.
I think for some it adds the tension and the interest. For me it added wrong kind of tension. I wished it could be optional.
I can’t recall this mechanic.

Maybe you’re thinking of Breath of Fire 5?

Last edited:
Planescape set the standard so high that it's hard to compete, Disco Elysium on of the few that come close.
The first 2 Fallouts had great writing as well.

anthraticus

Banned
No order..

Betrayal at Krondor
Planescape Torment
Fallout 1/2/NV
Age of Decadence
Deus Ex 1
Vampire Bloodlines
Mask of the Betrayer
KotOR2
King of Dragon Pass
Shadowrun DragonFall
Witchers
Kingdom Come
Disco Elysium

Yakuza series + Judgment.

I only started them in the last year or so and I can't remember ever being so engrossed and moved by a game story. Everyone likes to talk up the random zaniness, but the more serious main story deserves a lot more credit, particularly Yakuza 0. Rewarding, with lots of twists.

Just started 5.

Humdinger

I'd say the first Mass Effect, Jade Empire, and Kotor come to mind. I'd echo Horizon ZD, too, although I agree it's not quite an RPG. Loved the story, though.

I wouldn't call the writing in any of those "great." More like "good," which is fine for a game.

I'm intrigued by the comments about Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I had crossed that one off my list, because the combat sounded too realistic (in a cumbersome, non-fun sort of way). Maybe I'll give it a second look.

Humdinger

I could never get attached to Obsidian rpg's characters. Most are forgettable even if they had some good writing.

Now that you mention it, that's true for me, too. There's always something ironically detached about them or something, which makes it hard for me to connect to them as people.

Kumomeme

FFXIV Heavensward and Shadowbringers is amazing

HW story is about thousand years of Dragonsong war, where human and dragon become enemy..the story centered around theme of hatred and faith where one of main character trying to devour each other for sake of revenge..there also love story between great dragon hraesvelgr and shiva.

Shb is story taken at another world where night not exist 100 for years .... light is considered symbol of evil while darkness is the good..the story about how Warrior of Light need take mantle of Warrior of Darkness to defeat these angelic like monster called sin eater to restore the night and rebalance the light and darkness in the world...human in this world is called 'Sinner' who become prey to these monster.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Tetsuya Takahashi
Masato Kato
Kasushige Nojima
Yoko Taro
George Kamitani
Hironobu Sakaguchi
Katsura Hashino
Hidetaka Miyazaki
Toshihiro Kondo
Yasumi Matsuno
Yuji Horii
Masaki Norimoto
Takumi Miyajima
Yoshitaka Murayama
Chris Avellone

A game list would be huge so check all those devs out, almost all RPGs written by them have high quality narratives.

Also check out the 3 Utawerumono RPGs, I couldn't find the name of the writer/s but those games have amazing stories.

Handel

Speaking of Bioware, I'd suggest Dragon Age: Origins as another example. It's an original IP created by them and it's world and characters are both pretty great. Plus the writing is the best work they've ever done up to that point. Shame the sequels went to shit later on.
Took too long for one of the GOATs to be mentioned. World building is top notch both what you learn within the games narrative and also in the extensive codex. Great takes on the classic dwarves and elves, especially the former, as well as some amazing twists for it's equivalent of orcs. Characters across the board are great, and it's a contender for best cast of party members in any game as they're individually all interesting+great party banter. The main plot is solid, but the writing really shines in the execution of it's twists, with the darkspawn one during the quest for Branka being a highlight. Dialogue options are also executed very well, with several fully written out options available that make you rarely feel unable to express what you want and you can definitely be very evil.

GreyHorace

Took too long for one of the GOATs to be mentioned. World building is top notch both what you learn within the games narrative and also in the extensive codex. Great takes on the classic dwarves and elves, especially the former, as well as some amazing twists for it's equivalent of orcs. Characters across the board are great, and it's a contender for best cast of party members in any game as they're individually all interesting+great party banter. The main plot is solid, but the writing really shines in the execution of it's twists, with the darkspawn one during the quest for Branka being a highlight. Dialogue options are also executed very well, with several fully written out options available that make you rarely feel unable to express what you want and you can definitely be very evil.

I personally think it's Bioware's best game. But like I said, it's just a shame that they shit the bed with the sequels. They already had a fantastic foundation to build on but had to muck it up because of the demands EA made upon them.

Handel

I personally think it's Bioware's best game. But like I said, it's just a shame that they shit the bed with the sequels. They already had a fantastic foundation to build on but had to muck it up because of the demands EA made upon them.
It really should be the LOTR of video game franchises and EA botched it. The Dragon Age team are truly miracle workers to make DA2 and Inquisition still decent to good games despite the strange holds put on them. DA2 especially could have been something special with more time in the oven. A Majora's Mask like darker, more personal sequel to the grand epic that came before it.

I almost wish 2 and Inquisition were straight trash because then I could let go, but in each you can see that at least the DA team has Bioware magic left in them, it's just being restrained by EA.

Rikkori

Give Kingdom Come Deliverance a go. Easily a contender for best RPG.

And if you liked old-school Bioware, try out Greefall also, it's the closest we'll get to a game like that. I greatly enjoyed it.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

It really should be the LOTR of video game franchises and EA botched it. The Dragon Age team are truly miracle workers to make DA2 and Inquisition still decent to good games despite the strange holds put on them. DA2 especially could have been something special with more time in the oven. A Majora's Mask like darker, more personal sequel to the grand epic that came before it.

I almost wish 2 and Inquisition were straight trash because then I could let go, but in each you can see that at least the DA team has Bioware magic left in them, it's just being restrained by EA.

I can't really hate Dragon Age 2 since I thought it's story was okay and the characters were great. But it's a game that wasn't supposed to happen as Inquisition was already being developed to be their next Dragon Age title after Origins. Yet delays to Star Wars The Old Republic forced their hand by EA to make the game in just 14 months. And it shows, with the repeating environments and horrible design choices. I would call it one of Bioware's worst outings but it has some redeeming qualities.

Inquisition on the other hand, is a Dragon Age title I absolutely don't care for. It's a massive slog of a game with way too much filler content and some of the most boring quests I've ever encountered in an RPG. The tactical combat is practically non-existent since they scrapped most of the strategy options that you had from Origins and your companion's AI is dumb as bricks. The only things I really like about it are the aforementioned companions and the dragon fights.

Handel

I can't really hate Dragon Age 2 since I thought it's story was okay and the characters were great. But it's a game that wasn't supposed to happen as Inquisition was already being developed to be their next Dragon Age title after Origins. Yet delays to Star Wars The Old Republic forced their hand by EA to make the game in just 14 months. And it shows, with the repeating environments and horrible design choices. I would call it one of Bioware's worst outings but it has some redeeming qualities.

Inquisition on the other hand, is a Dragon Age title I absolutely don't care for. It's a massive slog of a game with way too much filler content and some of the most boring quests I've ever encountered in an RPG. The tactical combat is practically non-existent since they scrapped most of the strategy options that you had from Origins and your companion's AI is dumb as bricks. The only things I really like about it are the aforementioned companions and the dragon fights.
Inquisition did a lot of great stuff with the lore and expanded the world by showing us Orlais+other areas. That plus the great companions kept me going through bad quest design, mixed feelings combat and a mostly meh main story.

Daymos

A story and characters is totally subjective and depends on a persons view point. I can be the cool guy and like the witcher 3, I can be the anime dork and love xenoblade 2, I can be the awesome gamer girl and love tidus and yuna in ff10, I could be the uber science fiction geek who demands star wars kotor is the only TRUE star wars game. On and on.

Right at the moment I'm playing dragon quest 11s and really like the story/characters/writing. I've also been staring at the case for Xenoblade DE and remembering how much I liked the story of Shulk and crew.

Last edited:

yurqqa

A story and characters is totally subjective and depends on a persons view point. I can be the cool guy and like the witcher 3, I can be the anime dork and love xenoblade 2, I can be the awesome gamer girl and love tidus and yuna in ff10, I could be the uber science fiction geek who demands star wars kotor is the only TRUE star wars game. On and on.

Totally agree that it's subjective, but quality of writing is a bit more objective (not every plot or theme will suite everyone of course).

And if we are talking about characters, my main point was non-cliche (this is mostly a sin in JRPG games, sin of WRPG is bleak non-character puppets) and believable and consistent heroes. I was positively impressed by Trails in the Sky characters like Schera who is more human that typical JRPG heroes.

Again not all of the characters will suit to everyone taste, but when you have stupid big boob heroine in your RPG (I have nothing against big boobs by the way) whose dialogues 90% the same as dialogues of same-type heroine from another game from another developer - it's just lazy work.

Humdinger

Right at the moment I'm playing dragon quest 11s and really like the story/characters/writing. I've also been staring at the case for Xenoblade DE and remembering how much I liked the story of Shulk and crew.

Yup, very true. As an example, Witcher 3 is always mentioned in lists like this, but I didn't connect with Geralt and his story at all. I can't even remember what it was about. He just seemed like another gruff, stoic white male protagonist to me. lol, I'm kidding with that, don't get triggered -- but his lack of expressiveness and isolated, tough-guy persona was part of why I felt detached from him. (Yes, I know it's genetic, part of the backstory, etc.)

I never really connected with him, and, as a result, never cared what happened to him. I acknowledge that the quest writing was competent and more complex than you normally get, but because I didn't connect with or like the main character, the game was mostly a mechanical exercise for me -- leveling up, exploring the world, fiddling with combat. I didn't care about what happened to Geralt or his cohorts. Like I say, I don't even remember what the story was about. Just didn't register.

Anyhow, that's all to say, yes, all of this is very subjective. Who you *click* with, as a character, is a very individual thing.

Last edited:
Another one I really like is SMT Nocturne. Another game with a minimalist approach to narrative delivery, but still highly impactful.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Planescape Torment and Torment Tides of Numenera.
Numenera has such potential but it's ruined by a generically vague background and being probably the most woke game with woke devs in existence.

The devs actually made an entire book on consent in game.

3icK0He.png

That.... That cover.... Whew.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Bloodborne

I recommend you to do this:

1. Play and finish the game, get good at it.
2. Read "Paleblood Hunt".
3. Replay the game with all the knowledge.

sublimit

Banned
Dragon Quest IV,V,VIII,XI
Final Fantasy IV,VII,IX,X
Valkyrie Profile
Lunar Silver Star Harmony
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Bloodborne
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Witcher 3

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Dragon Quest IV,V,VIII,XI
Final Fantasy IV,VII,IX,X
Valkyrie Profile
Lunar Silver Star Harmony
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni No Kuni
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Bloodborne
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Witcher 3
Added Ni no Kuni to the list. How could i forget that game? I absolutely loved the story and characters from the first game.

Kumomeme

FFXIV Shadowbringers story just wrapped up in 5.3 patch that launched around 6 days ago.

personally, to think kat even one patch outdone any ff released this past decade is mindblowing, and baffled me at same time.

the writer Natsuko Ishikawa deserves the standing ovation at pax west for sure. Also Banri Oda doing great job for all the lore.

Rickyiez

Shadow Hearts Covenant . It does have some tropey characters , but it's also one of the most matured and non teeny-weensy JRPG core storyline . Amazing casts , world/lores and great battlesystem too . Shame we will never get a remaster/remake out of it . The best JRPG ever IMO

ef4121179a85eda3da4d6a5c412503c2.jpg

New Vegas is indeed a GOAT tier game. I’d also suggest Kotor 2 if you haven’t played that. Then the Mass effect trilogy.

They might be a little cliche at times, but there are a lot of standout games in the Tales series, I think Tales of Vesperia is an amazing game.

Iv never played New vegas. Why is it so good? I keep hearing this.

Paltheos

I wanted to try Zero recently.

But I heard that unfinished translation on PSP is awful.

New translation for PC version was released recently, but I just can't find the game anywhere. There was a link to one of the japanese shops that sell it digitally, but the site doesn't work as intended.
I tried to just find the version to download, but found only the one with integrated PSP translation.

Huh. Navigating the Japanese site took a little guesswork but I was able to buy it in the end without too much trouble. Don't know what instructions you were following ofc.

Iv never played New vegas. Why is it so good? I keep hearing this.

Actual RPG with choices that have actual consequences and stories that take into account a wide variety of actions the player could take in many situations. There are a ton of permutations to major story events and New Vegas accounts for many of them with usually interesting choices. The writing itself on a micro level achieves greatness on only a few occasions but New Vegas' real strength is building a convincing game world (and building up to those climaxes which don't disappoint). The combat is kinda shit but it's on Bethesda's engine so this is no surprise.

After hating Fallout 3 I went into New Vegas pretty pessimistically but I like it allot.

Last edited:

shubik

Im playing greedfall now.

Don't sleep on it

I downloaded it through PS NOW and deleted it after 4-5 hours. The controls feel so floaty. Especially if you want to pan the camera around. Really felt like a low budget title. Should I stick with it and wait some more?

yurqqa

Huh. Navigating the Japanese site took a little guesswork but I was able to buy it in the end without too much trouble. Don't know what instructions you were following ofc.

The issue is that for me dlsite.com looks like this:

mnmbBpH.jpg

There's obvious buttons to buy anyway. I add the game to the cart but when I try to check out, I get "Too many cookies" error from Chrome. Clearing cookies doesn't help.
I also tried to change locale in chrome, but nothing changed.

Does the site look different for you ?

Virex

Banned
Shadow Hearts Covenant . It does have some tropey characters , but it's also one of the most matured and non teeny-weensy JRPG core storyline . Amazing casts , world/lores and great battlesystem too . Shame we will never get a remaster/remake out of it . The best JRPG ever IMO

ef4121179a85eda3da4d6a5c412503c2.jpg

YGSy40i.jpg

Actual RPG with choices that have actual consequences and stories that take into account a wide variety of actions the player could take in many situations. There are a ton of permutations to major story events and New Vegas accounts for many of them with usually interesting choices. The writing itself on a micro level achieves greatness on only a few occasions but New Vegas' real strength is building a convincing game world (and building up to those climaxes which don't disappoint). The combat is kinda shit but it's on Bethesda's engine so this is no surprise.

After hating Fallout 3 I went into New Vegas pretty pessimistically but I like it allot.

I wanted to try it but i hear there is a remaster comming. Iv loved everything from obsidian

adamosmaki

witcher series. i know most people say witcher 3 but all 3 have great characters and story. I d argue witcher 1 main story is more interisting than 2 and 3.
Mass Effect 1. Imo much much more interesting than 2 and 3

What about Baldur's Gate II?

Virex

Banned
witcher series. i know most people say witcher 3 but all 3 have great characters and story. I d argue witcher 1 main story is more interisting than 2 and 3.
Mass Effect 1. Imo much much more interesting than 2 and 3
Witcher 1 was the best

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I downloaded it through PS NOW and deleted it after 4-5 hours. The controls feel so floaty. Especially if you want to pan the camera around. Really felt like a low budget title. Should I stick with it and wait some more?
Probably not. I liked it because it was a competent game and had a decent story and setting to start. I felt like it dragged on at least 10 hours more than it needed to. I never finished it though I was sure the game was going to end 2 times before giving up on it. I liked the Dev's previous title, Technomancer. It was a similar lower budget game but it was original and worth playing through. I think they tried to hard to add more scale and it was too much to keep it engaging.

Top Bottom