• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPGs with pretty damn good party member A.I.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Was talking about a little gem called Star Ocean 2: The Second Story with some friends recently, and man...your party members could rumble. Especially if you put Bunny Shoes on the likes of Ashton and Bowman, Bowman would sometimes literally LEAP half the screen's length at the start of a battle to get to the enemy. Rena was quick and efficient on the healing and if there was a boss that you had to face alone, they pretty much got fucked with no vaseline if you had a good Claude/Dias/Bowman/Chisato/Ashton-in-no-particular-order-team on deck. Seeing all those battle skills pop up on the side of the screen and the sheer clusterfuck of metal tanging, battle cries and grunts, and critical hit sounds still happily resonates in my memories.

Another series that had some decent party A.I was the Tales series, for me it was Vesperia and Symphonia. Not as snappy and aggressive as Star Ocean 2 but they still got the job done.

Not persona 3

It might not be the best AI in the game, but I was always wondering why did people make a thing about it, 99% of the time I knew what kind of spell they're going to use, if I don't like it, then I'll just press triangle and they will end up hitting with normal attack instead.

not tales games.

everyone tells me to play them on hard or higher, but then i spend most of the time reviving the shit ai.

RUN AWAY FROM THE GUY IN OVERLIMIT

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not Fallout New Vegas. Luckily there's a decent selection of manual orders you can give them.

KmA

Dang it, too late. If, you used the tactics correctly, they were kinda better? Who am I kidding... play P3P if you want to control them...

Back on topic: I want to say FFXII's gambit system made the A.I. pretty damn good party members.

Hmmm as much as people always give flack to FFXIII for having an over-reliance on the auto-battle option, I still think FFXII was worse in this regard. Though the control over your party was pretty unprecedented, it felt automated to the point that I didn't really feel like I was playing the game myself (considering you could add gambits to your player character as well).

It might not be the best AI in the game, but I was always wondering why did people make a thing about it, 99% of the time I knew what kind of spell they're going to use, if I don't like it, then I'll just press triangle and they will end up hitting with normal attack instead.
Same thought here. The AI was pretty damn easy to work with.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Tales of Graces F AI is alright for some characters, but the AI can't use Hubert for shit.

I'm playing Star Ocean 4 and I'm finding the AI surprisingly decent for some of the characters, but after SO3 braindead AI I guess anything else would be an improvement.

the best AI has to be FFXII, though, you can 'program' it in very specific ways thanks to all the options the gambits give you. AI is absolute garbage in FFXIII IMO, specially when it comes to buffs and debuffs.

CronoShot

Not persona 3

mitsuruai.jpg

Hmmm as much as people always give flack to FFXIII for having an over-reliance on the auto-battle option, I still think FFXII was worse in this regard. Though the control over your party was pretty unprecedented, it felt automated to the point that I didn't really feel like I was playing the game myself (considering you could add gambits to your player character as well).

Absolutely, but I see it as both a blessing and a curse.

On one hand you can create awesome gambit set ups and wreck shop just by running into mobs. Makes grinding and farming a breeze.

On the other hand the game plays itself, and it takes away from the satisfaction of choosing the right actions as needed.

I agree. I only died because it was my fault, not the AI.

Edit: NVM

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo

I didn't like that either. One of the reasons why I hadn't completely finished that game.

"D"

All I remember about Star ocean 2 was the godawful final boss. It took me weeks to beat it.

Lol good ol' Indalecio. Thought he was bad, fight him WITHOUT his Limiter.

Or fight Gabriel Celeste/Iseria Queen. Have fun.

Jesus Christ, no. The fight against
Lorithia
was a nightmare thanks to the brain dead AI.

You can give positioning orders to both AI members in order to get them out of the ether. I had no problem with that fight and never understood why people made such a big deal about it. I believe either they did not know how to use these orders well and/or they didn't bother controlling Melia themselves to make the fight shorter.

Ishida

Banned
You can give positioning orders to both AI members in order to get them out of the ether. I had no problem with that fight and never understood why people made such a big deal about it. I believe either they did not know how to use these orders well and/or they didn't bother controlling Melia themselves to make the fight shorter.

That's the problem, you actually have to keep telling them to stay away from the damn green goo that keeps draining their health.

Ultratech

I remember Soma Bringer having pretty good AI.

They were pretty good at using their Support Skills and keeping themselves alive (except against Epic bosses for obvious reasons).

One little quirk I often liked was that they'd run away from a fight in order to use an item and heal up when critically low on health, then rush right back in.

Of course, it's something of a precursor to Xenoblade and how its systems are handled in some ways.

Dang it, too late. If, you used the tactics correctly, they were kinda better? Who am I kidding... play P3P if you want to control them...

You're right.

If you bothered to set tactics for fights, the AI generally wouldn't give you issues.

I never ran into any major issues with it during my P3 playthrough.

I only died once or twice because of the AI, while frustrating at times, it really isn't as bad as people say. Like you say, I could have prevented some spells using "Rush." And the tactics menu is there to help make the AI more manageable. Ways around the imperfect A.I.

Then again, after playing P3P I don't think I would want to go back to complete A.I. control, Love the option of being able to control party members manually.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Melia though.

Sharla was good, Reyn was good, Firoa and Dunban were meh, Riki was bad, Melia was so bad that people thought she was a garbage character and then they realized she was actually OP when you controlled her.

Jesus Christ, no. The fight against
Lorithia
was a nightmare thanks to the brain dead AI.

Disagree personally, there were some specific late-game fights that I got screwed over repeatedly due to the A.I.

I never really had any A.I. problems with Melia since I usually just controlled her whenever I put her in my party. I never used Riki so no idea on that.

Atlantis

Actually think P3 had the best A.I. I've experienced in an RPG, but it's also probably the only turn-based game I've played with an A.I. party. ARPGs have a lot more stupid things for your A.I. characters to get into.

Tales of the Abyss's A.I. was good enough to stand still and chain cast spells, which is all you want from your party in that game, so that'd also make the list I suppose.

Special shout-out to Sarah's A.I. in SO4 though. Probably the only game where the healer's A.I. actually has them run into the farthest corner and just heal.

"D"

Actually think P3 had the best A.I. I've experienced in an RPG, but it's also probably the only turn-based game I've played with an A.I. party. ARPGs have a lot more stupid things for your A.I. characters to get into.

Tales of the Abyss's A.I. was good enough to stand still and chain cast spells, which is all you want from your party in that game, so that'd also make the list I suppose.

Special shout-out to Sarah's A.I. in SO4 though. Probably the only game where the healer's A.I. actually has them run into the farthest corner and just heal.

Rena in SO2 was pretty good about staying out of the shit. If her spell proficiencies are high enough for high speed casting, its as if the absolute second its needed, its almost like she's like "i'm here daddy, I got you"

God Eater Burst has some of the most helpful party members I've ever seen. They are quick to heal you, and will sometimes sacrifice their own well-being just to give you another shot at beating whatever monster you are up against.

Not the Tales games I've played.

In fact, I can't think of a single RPG that surprised me with great AI. That doesn't mean they don't exist or that I've never played any games with good AI, but nothing is coming to mind. Just examples of poor AI.

Edgeward

God Eater Burst has some of the most helpful party members I've ever seen. They are quick to heal you, and will sometimes sacrifice their own well-being just to give you another shot at beating whatever monster you are up against.

Yes, I agree.

Also Xenoblade is decent.

I'm playing Star Ocean 4 and I'm finding the AI surprisingly decent for some of the characters, but after SO3 braindead AI I guess anything else would be an improvement.
I thought SO3 had decent enough AI most of the time... if you set them up with skills they could use, and took control of the healing during more complicated fights. Though I guess most fights would be complicated for the AI on higher difficulties.

Top Bottom