• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Advance Wars, where did this one end up?

Terrorblot

c0PqM7L.jpg
HKqsPjb.jpg

Overview
If you had a Gameboy Advance you probably had or played Advance Wars 1 or 2. Developed by Intelligent Systems, the Nintendo-affiliated developer responsible for it's sister series, Fire Emblem, this game series absolutely ruled. The series got it's start as Famicom Wars, but like Fire Emblem we didn't get any of the original games in the West until the Gameboy Advance. The original Famicom Wars would be extremely familiar to fans of the Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS series, however features such as Co Powers or building units in captured factories as well as map design not quite up to the snuff of the later games makes the original a bit difficult to adjust to, even if one did find a translation patch.

The Gameboy Advance Games
Replaying the original Advance Wars, it really is amazing how pure and fun this game is. The graphics are honestly some of my favorite seen on a Nintendo Console. The GBA really pumped out some beautiful color. When a unit initiates an attack, we're brought into a quick vignette of the two units hashing it out, with each army, represented by a distinct color distinguished by completely different sprites for each army. Each Army has all the basic units available to them, but the artwork flavor provides a really neat distinction which you really just don't see very often in games from this era.

The gameplay is quite similar to Fire Emblem, but with a few twists that really distinguish the two. Fire Emblem is at it's core a roleplaying game, with unique units and leveling and equipping characters. Advance Wars has nothing of the sort, but in it's stead we have a table of units that are far more distinct than Fire Emblems. The game is still basically Rock / Papper / Scissors, but with more options and potential threats to account for, air units, tanks of varying sizes, artillery, recon, submarines and naval units, etc. Also, rather than simply eliminating the enemy units, there is a currency system managed by how many cities a player controls. A player with more cities and bases can produce a larger army, and so the player must strategize which targets they must hold. You can starve an enemy army out by fortifying bases, or you could attempt to move an infantry into the enemys HQ to capture. Additionally each Army is controlled by a commanding officer and each has a unique power it can initiate when a bar is filled as well as different passive abilities. One CO can capture cities quicker, while another can increase the range of his artillery.

The second game, Black Hole Rising is much of the same. The single player campaign offers a bit more variety with some more unique mission structure, and a rather unneeded Neo Tank (it's the large tank, but larger!). This game really seems like the peak of the franchise to me though, more COs to choose from and the War Room where you can play single missions purchased with currency from wins in the campaign. There were so many maps to choose from (and many were rebalanced Famicom Wars levels!) and I spent hours and hours playing these and trying to S Rank them all in mom and dads car as a middle schooler.

Also the music was pretty dope, despite GBA sound not being the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okp_A6aSdtU&list=PLhHcMbVmbwCcT5_HiVvjtkkTPtG-M0Bc_

The DS Games
The DS games on the other hand, are a bit more flawed if you ask me. The absolutely beautiful GBA graphics were kind of destroyed in the transition to Dual Strike (the first DS game). They went with this strange skewing of the map to try and make it look a bit fancier, and a lot of the new COs seemed to be drawn in an entirely different style from the previous games. They also stretched and skewed the sprites in the battle vignettes to make it look more 3D. I'm not sure if there was a different artist or art team working on this one or what, but something changed. I also was not a fan of Dual Strikes top map, a feature utilizing the Dual Screen where air units could be sent up to high altitudes to fight on a second map where land units couldn't take them down. It felt a little forced and just threw off the balance of the original game if you ask me.

JLTowKn.png

Advance Wars 1 and Black Hole Rising had absolutely stunning map graphics. It's simple but beautiful.
CoMALfB.jpg

The DS doing this weird Mode 7 thing where they skew the maps (this screenshot isn't of the highest fidelity so it's a bit unfair to compare the two side to side, but this was the best I could surface).
lpT3G2q.jpg

This is not an improvement! (sorry for the dark screenshot, again I was struggling to find good Dual Strike screenshots).

Days of Ruin was perhaps the most bizarre of the four. For whatever reason they decided that this colorful game needed a gritty reboot, so they created a whole new world that was dark and apocalyptic. The funny thing is, a lot of the art in this game looked pretty good, but it just wasn't Advance Wars. Another odd thing I noticed looking back, they decided to turn all the sprites to give it a 3D look. I think they're kinda nice looking, but i'd still take the old classic sprites any day. EDIT: whoops, users have pointed out the isometric sprites are only featured on zoom-in, so points to Days of Ruin on this one! The gameplay was way better than Dual Strike and seemed to reign it back in a bit, but I just couldn't get over the grittiness. My nitpicking aside, this was still a fantastic game and I'd still happily take a Days of Ruin sequel over what we got though, nothing.

f7Fg43m.jpg

hOYqM6u.jpg

They also did that weird 3D thing again, although it looked a bit better in DoR.

The Gamecube and Wii
These weren't developed by Intelligent Systems and don't exist.

The Future Of The Series
We haven't really heard anything about Advance Wars since then, and now that Intelligent Systems is making that $$$ with Fire Emblem, I don't know if we're going to see an actual Advance Wars anytime soon. Maybe they could hand it off to a different developer!

One ray of hope, the Nintendo Switch has an Advance Wars-like on the way, Wargroove by Chucklefish. The game has a medieval theme but seems to ape Advance Wars in every way, and looks just as beautiful. This is gonna be a day 1 for me.

There's hope-- played this at PAX.

http://tinymetal.com/

Wow, this looks pretty fascinating too!

psyfi

Banned
AW2 is my favorite in the series. I still pick it up for a week or two a few times a year, I mostly just try to beat my high scores in War Room. It's absolutely one of my desert island games.

Days of Ruin is the holy grail of Advance Wars games for me.

I absolutely ADORE its grittiness, and I'd love it if every franchise needs a dark and gritty reboot with the same tone and quality of Days.

I liked the old style, of course, but I'm so glad it got rebooted.

Advance Wars is like Cuphead where it’s art style betrays it’s difficulty in some surprising ways

I loved the first game a lot and I have high, high hopes
for Wargroove

Cerium

Super looking forward to Wargroove. The campaign and map editor features are going to be a big fucking deal.

TZchassis

I had a Japanese copy of the original GBA one. Remember enjoying it a lot after using trial and error to understand the options. I barely remember how the gameplay differ from Fire Emblem though. Looking forward to Wargroove.

rokero

Love them all Days of Ruin is great I liked the change in tone, I think what held Advance Wars from doing better was the difficulty in some of the later campaigns they need a casual mode like the new Fire Emblems make the game more accesible

Zebei

[

The Gamecube and Wii

These weren't developed by Intelligent Systems and don't exist.
well now you've gone too far.

Battalion wars was actually a prettt decent spinoff man!

Crazy what happened to such a popular series. Seemed like it could have coasted, but the DS games killed it, and now here we are. . .

And IS doesnt care since FE is making them so much cash. RIP advance wars. I should try and replay AW1 soon. Maybe i'll like it this time.

Keep fighting though fans, you have to win sooner or later. :p

Stopdoor

Actually, you're misrepresenting Days of Ruin. It actually had a button where you could zoom in and see all the units at that diagonal view, but it was super weird because there was no reason to zoom in that much and the classic view was way more appealing and useful.

Really weird along with the art upgrade, they also did all that extra work to animate those zoomed in sprites as well.

Terrorblot

Actually, you're misrepresenting Days of Ruin. It actually had a button where you could zoom in and see all the units at that diagonal view, but it was super weird because there was no reason to zoom in that much and the classic view was way more appealing and useful.

Really weird along with the art upgrade, they also did all that extra work to animate those zoomed in sprites as well.

Whoops! Thanks for letting me know, it's been awhile since I've picked up Days of Ruin. Most of the DS portion was written from memory. I'll make a correction when I get a chance!

well now you've gone too far.

Battalion wars was actually a prettt decent spinoff man!

Crazy what happened to such a popular series. Seemed like it could have coasted, but the DS games killed it, and now here we are. . .

And IS doesnt care since FE is making them so much cash. RIP advance wars. I should try and replay AW1 soon. Maybe i'll like it this time.

Keep fighting though fans, you have to win sooner or later. :p

Battalion what? ;)

Mr_Moogle

Damn I miss Advance Wars. I'm still happy that Fire Emblem is now a successful franchise but it's damn shame they killed AW.

not-like-this.gif

Lol at people saying the art in Days of Ruin is good. I loved that game but the gritty art style was a downgrade over the first few games.

I really like how colorful and lighthearted this series is (though Days of Ruin takes a different direction, I still want to give it a try sometime), but I remember doing a double take with how some of the Commanding Officers treated war like a game of chess and saw each other as friendly rivals. Particularly Andy and Eagle, who were basically like "LOL GG man, let's do this again sometime" and I just can't help but imagine how their troops must feel.

Rockk

Advance Wars is harder to waifu unlike Fire Emblem. Intelligent Systems has seen what gets them the big bucks.

Dremorak

Banned
It seems that Nintendo doesnt want competing series (as seen with the paper mario vs mario and luigi series events) and I guess then that Fire Emblem won that fight. If Awakening had flopped then I think we would be seen an advance wars on 3ds.

Though many people call it the black sheep of Advance Wars I loved Days of Ruin the most. Its dark atmosphere and music I feel is the best in the series. But nothing tops the Tag Power Theme from Dual Strike. When you heard that track you knew shit was going down.

Cerium

It seems that Nintendo doesnt want competing series (as seen with the paper mario vs mario and luigi series events) and I guess then that Fire Emblem won that fight. If Awakening had flopped then I think we would be seen an advance wars on 3ds.

Advance Wars and Fire Emblem are very different games. They play almost nothing alike aside from the grid. There was no competition.

Every new entry of Advance Wars sold less and less, and the series was effectively dead in Japan long before Days of Ruin. They killed it because no one bought it.

Wargroove looks like it'll be leaning heavily on user created content, bringing a sort of PC sensibility to it, which I think is what the genre really needs to thrive and reinvent itself for the modern era.

I am just glad to see people besides me still care about my favorite Nintendo franchise.

IS said that they don't wanna do anything with the franchise if they can't market it like FE, which honestly would probably affect gameplay to.

I been meaning to do something on AW for awhile now. Maybe I should get started on that.

One of my favorite series and I still will play Days of Ruin to this day. Wargroove is my most anticipated Switch title by far. If Chucklefish can nail that Advanced Wars magic...oh man.

Aters

Wargroove's character design is hard to look at after the simple yet charming art of Advance Wars. I'm incredibly hyped for Tiny Metal though.

I played Dual Strike back in 2006 and fell in love with it. I've unfortunately not played any others, I should probably fix that.

Sciz

AW2 is a masterpiece, and Days of Ruin is still pretty great in its own right and certainly didn't deserve to be a franchise killer. It pains me that Nintendo barely even acknowledges the IP.

redcrayon

I'm really hoping Tiny Metal and Wargroove scratch that AW itch seeing as IS have no interest in it.

I quite enjoyed Dark Conflict, the addition of bikes as scout infantry and a few other new units worked well.

Days of Ruin? Surely you mean Dark Conflict. I loved the main character, Ed, and his fantastic personal theme "We Ed Prevail".

CazTGG

Honestly, Days of Ruin's change in aesthetics was a change for the better since the cartoonish artsyle of the original trilogy was...distracting given the actual gameplay and story treating war like a literal game as faceless, nameless thousands die throughout. It has plenty of other issues like the changes to gameplay being marginal but the aesthetics weren't among them.

Dual Strike is my favorite entry.

Man, what a great OP. I agree with you completely, down to your ranking of the games and everything. Also, thanks for the mention of Wargroove. I had never heard of it before but it looks amazing. I love how it's such an obvious spiritual successor to Advance Wars. I hope it's just as good.

I'm fine with it, honestly. Despite the first three games, they never really made any gameplay advancements that I actually liked. "New biggertank and another level of co power nonsense!" Is hardly going to pull in a bigger audience. The series wasn't going anywhere and the CO powers were so utterly broken by the third game that I'd started to seriously dislike the direction they were going.

bede-x

Advance Wars is my favorite strategy game series. I love the original and Days of Ruin despite the change in asthetics. Dual Strike was the worst in the series with it's overpowered commanders, but still good. Only played a little of the second game and nothing from the series before GBA.

It's a series that I miss, but also one that never really found a good way to evolve. They simply nailed the first installment. Despite that I'd love to see it return and Wargroove is one of my most wanted games. The 3D graphics of Tiny Metal doesn't look as appealing, but I'm still keeping an eye on it.

There was also Commanders: Attack of the Genos on 360, which is BC on Xbox One. Might be worth looking into even though it's nowhere near as good or comprehensive as AW.

Lol at people saying the art in Days of Ruin is good. I loved that game but the gritty art style was a downgrade over the first few games.
Eh, I liked it. It was something new. It was okay to reboot the games after three similar looking games.

That said, I only finished AW1+2 and I think they are still the best. AW1 acutally was the reason I bought a GBA.

Wiped89

God I LOVED Advance Wars. It's like the only handheld series I've played to near Pokemon levels.
It's so good.

I loved them all including Dual Strike and Dark Conflict (yes it was called Dark Conflict in the UK for some reason, not Days of Ruin).

Top Bottom