• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP - Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

barkley_and_the_chaos_dunk_by_ukozo-d39creh.png

The Great B-Ball Purge of 2041, a day so painful to some that it is referred to only as the "B-Ballnacht". Thousands upon thousands of the world's greatest ballers were massacred in a swath of violence and sports bigotry as the game was outlawed worldwide. The reason: the Chaos Dunk, a jam so powerful its mere existence threatens the balance of chaos and order. Among the few ballers and fans that survived the basketball genocide was Charles Barkley, the man capable of performing the "Verboten Jam"...

Tales of Game’s Studios Presents Chef Boyardee’s Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa is probably the greatest VidCon ever made. Ok not really but its the greatest freeware game of all time. Ok its not, but its the greatest game to feature Wilford Brimley and Cyborg Vince Carter. Ok thats not true, but it is the greatest official sequel to Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam there ever was.

For no reason whatsoever I've been thinking about this game a lot lately so I looked up a few LPs and man it is still amazing. Shut up and Jam Gaiden is a Frankenstein's Monster of stolen Chrono Trigger art, Paper Mario gameplay, Streets of Rage sprites, Blue Dragon music, and Something Awful forum posts. Its both a loving parody of 90s JRPG and 90s Basketball culture, while a less loving parody of RPG Maker and internet forums that manages to have its own identity. Not only is the game fun to play, but its also one of the best written games of all time. No I'm serious this game is hysterical. I have hopes the sequel The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa can retain the hilarious writing but it won't feel the same without being built on the foundation of stolen assets.

Jarnet87

It's one of the best games of all time. Too bad Barkley 2 is vaporware

I supported the kickstarter, i am content in giving them that money for making the first game.

the chaos dunk is our ultimate trophy in my longest running fantasy football league.

Moonlight

Banned
To this day whenever I think about Barkley immediately being tempted by Incan gold and setting Cu Chulainn free I have to force away a goofy smile. What an incredible game.

Kyari

What an amazing game, I really hope the sequel hurrys the hell up.

But because they're doing it on the up and up I feel like it won't be nearly as entertaining :( part of the fun of that game was the bootleg art and music and story, and I feel like you're never going to have Monstars and Charles Barkley/Michael Jordan references in a sequel for money.

L Thammy

This is legitimately one of my favourite games ever. It's hard to think of another game where the game's creator is playing a character.

Went through this game on stream with a few friends in December last year. It was an amazing experience, and the first time I had played the game.

10/10 would travel to the B-Ball dimension again.

L Thammy

I hope you found all of the secrets as well.

- Ghastly Darklord
- Ghost Muscle
- Hell Temple
- Maybe other stuff I forgot

Breads

Banned
I miss the old days of GW. Chef, Steel, GZ, Hundley, Omega (and many more).... all of them. The forums lasted much longer than the original site. Seeing a lot of them come together to make this game was a masterstroke. Shame that crowdfunding didn't exist then. They did this for free. Say what you will about the visuals and audio but the game is legit and the writing is top notch.

Mupod

Not only is it funny as shit, it's a genuinely good RPG.

Where the shit is that sequel I kickstarted

L Thammy

I look forward to the sequel but I dunno if they can recreate something like Gaiden while being crowdfunded because they can't use commercial assets

They'll have to take out the stuff that will get them sued, I'm sure, but at least it's got connections to Barkley. The main character is all but stated to be Vinceborg, and Cu Cuchulainn was released by Barkley towards the end of the game. They can probably figure out other ways to make it into a parody of bad RPG Maker games and such.

Draft

I look forward to the sequel but I dunno if they can recreate something like Gaiden while being crowdfunded because they can't use commercial assets
I think the funniest stuff in Barkley 1 is original work. The writing and the music. Not having a low res photo of Bill Cosby as a boss or actual (former) NBA players names and likenesses is a loss, but not crippling. Check out the latest Kickstarter update. The jokes are still very solid and very much in the spirit of Barkley 1.

WarRock

One of the best RPGs of all time.

One of the most delayed sequels of all time. That FF7 parody teaser though...

The best thing about this game is that it originally started as a joke trailer and eventually became a real game that was built in RPG maker or something like that.

This is one of those early games that got the b-ball rolling on the indie game scene.

Breads

Banned
The best thing about this game is that it originally started as a joke trailer and eventually became a real game that was built in RPG maker or something like that.

This is one of those early games that got the b-ball rolling on the indie game scene.

Not true.

The game was real from the start and started development about a year before the trailer came out. It started out with ideas Chef and co thought were funny on the GW forums/irc, an indie game making community which the game parodies from time to time (Turk Pimp's save rants for example). Although it could have started in RPG maker (I forget if it did, it was a very long time ago) it was ultimately made in game maker.

Fun fact: An Artist/ designer(?) for Witcher 3, creator of Hotline Miami, and quite a few more who are currently devs/ dev adjacent spent time in that forum. An artist who worked on the lego series (iirc) worked on Barkly!

Sciz

Played through it with a buddy last year, after hearing so much about it over time. Completely floored us. The premise is completely ridiculous and never stops being funny, but the 100% dead serious cyberpunk styling manages to sell it against all odds. It will make you loathe Michael Jordan like you never thought possible.

If the sequel ever comes out, it'll be good, but it just won't be the same.

Doop

Still one of my favorite games ever. The duergar diplomacy scene makes me laugh every time. It's just so stupid.

Not true.

The game was real from the start and started development about a year before the trailer came out. It started out with ideas Chef and co thought were funny on the GW forums/irc, an indie game making community which the game parodies from time to time (Turk Pimp's save rants for example). Although it could have started in RPG maker (I forget if it did, it was a very long time ago) it was ultimately made in game maker.

Fun fact: An Artist/ designer(?) for Witcher 3, creator of Hotline Miami, and quite a few more who are currently devs/ dev adjacent spent time in that forum. An artist who worked on the lego series (iirc) worked on Barkly!

Thanks for the corrections. Heh, I guess I was going from my own point of view. I remember when that trailer was released, many people assumed it was a hoax/ joke. Cool though.

The game is such a weird mix of 90s culture that is tapped deep into - basketball culture of that era, video game and anime forums from the 90s...like you will be completely baffled if you know nothing about that stuff.

Seyavesh

the entire game building up to the punchline in barkey's section of cuchulain's temple is probably my favorite joke in the game. it's built so, so well

that and all the potential entries (and correct solution) for the love poem in the furry sewer town. vinceborg is a true romanticist

The game is such a weird mix of 90s culture that is tapped deep into - basketball culture of that era, video game and anime forums from the 90s...like you will be completely baffled if you know nothing about that stuff.

mjcover.jpg

GENbox.jpg

Cover.jpg

Basketball players in videogames were sort of a thing in the '90s. I guess someone had to make one for Charles Barkley as well.

the entire game building up to the punchline in barkey's section of cuchulain's temple is probably my favorite joke in the game. it's built so, so well

that and all the potential entries (and correct solution) for the love poem in the furry sewer town. vinceborg is a true romanticist

What was the punchline everything was building up to? And what were the hints?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Can someone please help me? I am trying to play this game in fullscreen but the game window is very small in the center of the screen and isn't stretching. Tried to adjust the scaling but it has no effect...

epmode

Can someone please help me? I am trying to play this game in fullscreen but the game window is very small in the center of the screen and isn't stretching. Tried to adjust the scaling but it has no effect...

Did you try lowering your resolution before launching the game?

Seyavesh

What was the punchline everything was building up to? And what were the hints?

barkley spends the entire game talking about how he misses his wife and how he'd give up anything to have her back
cuchulain's temple is a dungeon with story beats about the trial of cuchulain, who uses one's deepest desires to try and trick them to into freeing him
you play as cyberdwarf and balthios and get appropriately themed trials for them, with cyberdwarf's being about having his regular body back instead of basketball skin and balthios having unlimited access to ancient zauber tomes of old

barkley's section is the last, and features stuff relating to his past. when he reaches the final room which usually contains the big 'trial' featuring the character's deepest desires, barkley's is just a room filled with incan gold
and barkley can't resist but touching it, freeing cuchulain
when the party reconvenes, barkley lies about what happened and just says he saw nothing and the game proceeds as if nothing happened

cue the sequel (titled in the credits of barkley 1) "The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 РRevenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie РChapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa"

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Top Bottom