• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
First thread by the way, shred my backpack if I britta'd it.

So, upon finding out that the producers of this show had somehow signed a deal with Yahoo for a sixth season, I was like "well, I guess it's about that time to finally watch this show." I'm not entirely sure why I put it off so long, maybe it was because I remember I had actually tried watching it during its freshman year and somehow dropped off; plus, I remembered enjoying the series a good deal then. For whatever reason, I hadn't given the series a fair shake and the show having a huge cult following already, I decided I was delaying the inevitable and probably end up not having watched it sooner.

Well, as it turns out, I had actually watched the entire first season and a few episodes of the second one. For some reason, I thought I had dropped off sooner than that, but regardless, I rewatched them all. Besides, I can't say I was in the same state of mind however man years ago that was (2010?).

Man, this series really is incredible. It's not always hilarious, but it's always entertaining. And even though the characters are all generally unlikable, you still loving just seeing what hijinks they're going to get into. I've been popping episodes like Tic Tacs and it's actually been keeping me from returning to my normal sleep schedule (I've moved back from one time zone to another recently). This is definitely one of those series where I could just watch these characters just do random stuff forever.

A few notes on the characters:

Joel McHale is a pretty funny dude, I must admit. I like him a good deal even though I never really considered him an actor.
  • Joel McHale is a pretty funny dude, I must admit. I like him a good deal even though I never really considered him an actor.
  • Gillian Jacobs, while cute and all, isn't particularly funny, though I do occasionally laugh pretty hard at how clueless she is. Britta is a well-written character, but far too hipster to relate to in any meaningful way.
  • I don't think I can say anything about Abed that hasn't already been said. Danny Pudi is either the first or second best thing about this show.
  • Troy's best stuff is definitely his interactions with Abed, but he's a pretty funny guy as well. I like Donald Glover's stand-up and his music, as well.
  • Pierce and Shirley are pretty annoying, but I can recognize their roles in the show. They're both completely unlikable though. Even Jeff and Britta have some redeeming qualities.
  • I didn't care for Ken Jeong in anything he's been in, except Hangover, but he's got some heavy hitting moments in this series.
  • The dean is hilarious. That is all.

Of course, I have to dedicate a paragraph to that magnificent creature Alison Brie. This is the other amazing thing about this show. I know this has been discussed to death and she has a pretty big following due to how beautiful and gif-able she is, but she is absolutely fantastic. Not only is she a sight to behold, though, her work here is very good. I've seen her in quite a few other roles, specifically her frequent appearances in Mad Men, and she's just all around great. I love seeing her on screen, and not just because she's pretty (her look is decidedly much more toned down due to the character, I suppose), but because she's one of the craziest of the bunch. It's hilarious to watch her have these panic attacks from being so tightly wound or trying to rebel against perceptions of her.

As for the rest of the show, there's some amazing writing her. I most certainly didn't notice this before, but the subversive humor here is great. I can't praise Dan Harmon and the crew enough for bringing this show to life. I know I'm totally late on this, but it's given me so many things to laugh about just by remembering quotes or scenes.

Not to rake over the coals, but how this series or Danny Pudi got looked over for Emmy nominations is just another example of general stupidity and lack of common sense taking over this industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom