• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Demon's Souls

ike_

Player is bad at the game and clearly needs help: game gets harder.
Player is good at the game and doesn't need full HP: game gets easier.
Player has read the wiki page and understands how World Tendency works:

It's insane! Did they come up with that system on Opposite Day?!

Yeah, Demon's Souls world tendency is a big part of why these games got branded "hardest game ever and it hates you." The games that followed weren't quite as brutal -- losing souls after dying repeatedly, or having to farm for blood vials isn't exactly cruel or unusual.

As much as world tendency added to the mystery and intrigue of a game from that era I'm glad it's gone. But I'm much happier they dumped the encumbrance system. That was lame.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I mean, good players get rewarded and bad players get punished. It makes sense to me, but I can also see why it would turn people off.

I'd be ok with seeing it come back, but only because I think mechanics like that are amusing.

Mr_Moogle

I remember my first time playing this game. My brain couldn't handle the simple concept of how souls was used to both level up, buy stuff and upgrade your weapons (with materials ofc) and I had huge problems deciding what to prioritize. After playing so many other rpg's I quickly decided that leveling up was a lot more important than upgrading weapons. Took some time before I understood how wrong I was.

That moment when you realise how important upgraded weapons are in Souls games is pretty eye opening. It's certainly a stark difference to how you approach other RPG's.

I'm a huge Dark Souls fan who has never played Demons Souls. I'd love to give it a go but would prefer to wait for a remastered HD version. Make it happen From.

DC1

This is why the original gangster of Souls is the godfather of Souls. It will never be topped. There will never be a game more beloved and appreciate after completing.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I really don't understand why the games that followed only used bosses as a challenge spike. Bloodborne is my overall favorite, but the change in From's boss design philosophy is a huge loss.

The variety of Demon's Souls gimmicks also makes the world feel less far less "gamey" and predictable. Like when the big scary monster at the end of a level turns out to be anything but, or when a seemingly impossible fight turns out to be the biggest power fantasy moment in the series. sogood.gif

For the initial playthrough, yes. And then on subsequent runs, the luster is lost due to familiarity and you're left with bosses that pose little to no challenge. In a series like Souls which offers near-limitless replayability because of the freedom offered in shaping your character, Demon's Souls was rather a disappointment, largely because of its boss design; though it's easy to forgive From, given the game was their first outing. And it's not as if From didn't attempt gimmick bosses from Dark Souls on: a fair number were abject failures (Bed of Chaos, Pinwheel), while some I'd rank among the top in the series (Executioner Chariot).

All things considered, though, I'd still rank DeS as number 2, just under Dark Souls, if I try to be as objective as possible. I'd love to see it remastered. I can't bring myself to delete any of my characters to make room for a new one.

Respect

3-2 is still the nest atmosphere in gaming for me to this day. The ambient background sounds create their own music to the level. Topped off by a difficult boss encounter, particularly your first time through.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"Bad players being punished" is an exaggeration, it only happens if you revive all the time. If you stay in soul form, nothing happens with world tendency.

Neiteio

I like that room above the Nexus where you can see the character models of other players.

Seeing some of the tricked-out armor people were wearing had me stoked to play more.

AmyS

I think ideally for PS4, there should be a Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 remaster (or remake) using the DX11 Dark Souls II engine (thus avoiding frame skipping in Bloodborne and DSII) would be really great.

Xbox One could get the improved DS1 via Namco but obviously a Demon's Souls remaster would be PS4 exclusive.

Top Bottom