• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (What exactly made this game click so well?)

Boogiepop

So, for the first time in years, I gathered up the Gameboy Advances and link cables, and sat down to play Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles with friends. And though I had beaten the game long, long ago, it was only as a single player, but this time, we did it together beginning to end.

And to be honest, I love the hell out of this game... but I'm less sure than ever exactly why. In going back to it, I was kind of shocked to find how simplistic things were. Spell fusion admittedly adds a bit of complexity into the mix, but for the most part the game largely consists of just plain constantly hitting things with your basic attack or spell. Even the equipment is a pretty simplistic list, with just a handful of different weapons/armors that are largely incremental upgrades (though some do admittedly give basic advantages to status effects and the like).

Not only that, the game brings with it plenty of annoyances. First and foremost is probably the bucket. Which I actually don't hate, but the game IS expecting one player to lug something around constantly. The bigger issue, though, is the downright frustrating way some levels are laid out. The big old wall is a real annoying one early on, in that you just plain can't see the paths as well as you should, which is lame. And in the ruined village of Tida, those stupid webs that need to be hit with fire catch you up WAY more than they should. The big one, though: that damn swamp level. Those walkways just plain aren't wide enough, and the tons of ghosts that need to be holy-ed to kill reasonably (the boss especially being a giant pain) just make the whole thing an exercise in frustration. So of course the best artifact drops in the game come from there. Oh, and I love the level, but Moschet Manor glitched on my group twice in a row in terms of not spawning the final chef (and trust me, we searched THOROUGHLY), so we didn't beat that one.

If I were to peg one thing that DOES make me love the game, though, it's the presentation.

latest

latest

Despite it showing its age to a very real degree in terms of complexity and some textures, I still really love the look of this game. And those openings where each level gives you a passage read before entering in really work well for me. Plus I like the way that for most of the game, the plot is subtly interwoven in the background. Though ultimately
I had forgotten how heavy handed the game got in the finale. Like, it's a pretty damn long stream of the game giving you direct dialogue drilling in "did you get that this game is about memories? Huh? Huh?"
The rest of my group rather correctly (IMO) pointed out that it kind of feels like stumbling into a Kingdom Hearts game right at the end there.

Oh, and the music is absolutely perfect and fits the game so, so well. To just give the one that always stuck with me rather than dumping a ton out there, the music from Veo Lu Sluice is just so, so good.

So yeah, any thoughts on this? What IS it that makes this game stick so well with me, and pretty much anyone I've ever discussed it with? Is it just that it's a nice, easy to get into co-op game? Because it admittedly was pretty cool when we became a battle hardened machine to beat the final boss, switching seamlessly between offense and healing/defense to deal with everything it throws at you (which is a pretty insane difficulty spike, btw. We actually COULDN'T reasonably beat it the first time we tried... and then realized we hadn't saved in a few hours, and there's no way to back out of a level once you hit the boss, so that kind of screwed us and seems like a bit of a design flaw). Does that feeling of claustrophobia brought about by the bucket system actually play well into the oppressive feeling many of the levels try to impose? Or does the simple system of using the Gameboy screens to add separate objectives and tactical advantages (maps, enemy info) add well to that feeling of diversity? (BTW, kind of sad that we never got a straightforward sequel that used a DS or 3DS to hook up to a console version for a similar yet different experience).

Also, how would you guys say the followups compare, especially as multiplayer experiences? I played the first DS sequel (but solo the whole time), but I haven't touched the second sequel, nor the spinoffs. Is there anything out there that really scratches the same itch? (Kind of Monster Hunter I guess, but that feels kind of different somehow. I do love the hell out of that series, though).

Oh, and holy crap does ye olde wagon Mario Kart suck hard as a minigame. Gave it a try for the first time, and my friends and I couldn't find a way to back out, so we had to play a whole match. And that is one hell of crappy minigame to shoehorn in. Like, "ever want to play a crummy, super slow kart racer? No? Well too bad, we made it anyway!"

tldr: I still really love this game, but it's kind of hard to pinpoint exactly what makes it feel like such a standout experience for me.

dc89

I have actually considered picking a copy up from eBay and cracking open and using the GameCube I have that's mint in box.
Not just for FF:CC but for other games too.

I also have fond memories of this game despite it being a very different experience to the traditional FF games. And I agree, the music is amazing.

But I guess the sensible thing to do would be see if Switch has a decent line up of VC.

I do think the bucket system had something to do with it. Haven't played the game in years, but the fact that it forced your group to literally band together added greatly to the cooperative charm of the game. It's been years, but I also seem to recall that the game's mechanics encouraged players to assumeon specific roles in the party (e.g. healer) in an organic fashion. Might just be misremembering, though.

Playing this game through with my brothers is a cherished gaming memory :) It's just a very warm-feeling game, from its artstyle to the folksy soundtrack. I hope Square revisits the franchise on Switch.

2San

I do think the bucket system had something to do with it. Haven't played the game in years, but the fact that it forced your group to literally band together added greatly to the cooperative charm of the game. It's been years, but I also seem to recall that the game's mechanics encouraged players to assumeon specific roles in the party (e.g. healer) in an organic fashion. Might just be misremembering, though.

Playing this game through with my brothers is a cherished gaming memory :) It's just a very warm-feeling game, from its artstyle to the folksy soundtrack. I hope Square revisits the franchise on Switch.
Nah the bucket system was terrible. It was nothing but an annoyance. Zelda 4 swords (the other 4x gba 1x NGC) was better due to the freedom and more varied gameplay. I played both games with 4 players.

TannerDemoz

I thought the bucket system was really cool too. Encouraged everyone to work together and you generally had to watch out for each other. Loved this game - had some amazing summers with some of the best friends!

Firemind

Nah the bucket system was terrible. It was nothing but an annoyance. Zelda 4 swords (the other 4x gba 1x NGC) was better due to the freedom and more varied gameplay. I played both games with 4 players.
I think FF:CC's system is still better because you actually need to cooperate especially against the bosses, while Four Swords has the occassional dicking around so that you could get the most rupees. ¯_(ツ)_/ ¯

For the time and the platform, CC was absolutely gorgeous and felt expansive. The miasma mechanic was unique. Had wonderfully varied races with a great lore.

I would love to see a revival of the series, in a similar direction as the original. The sequels and spin-offs were decent games but didn't scratch the same itch as the first one.

2San

I think FF:CC's system is still better because you actually need to cooperate especially against the bosses, while Four Swords has the occassional dicking around so that you could get the most rupees. ¯_(ツ)_/ ¯
You still needed to work together with Four Swords and it felt more natural, since you weren't artificially restricted.

Nope. I played both games as well, and despite being a way bigger Zelda fan (I've never beaten a mainline FF) I enjoyed Crystal Chronicles way more, as did the group I played them with. Playing Four Swords always felt like a loose, disorganized, chaotic experience; one that ultimately felt hollow and unsatisfying. Crystal Chronicles, on the other hand, really forced players to play as a unit (or caravan). Mainly through the bucket. I really enjoyed it.

Dreavus

I really enjoyed how they established the world. You see other caravans pass by for their own towns, one stage is a village who's crystal didn't get replenished and fell into ruin. You get small anecdotes from the stage intros. There was a good sense of mystery that permeated the whole world. It felt well thought out all the way through.

But then at the end... Yeah, thinking back on it, the weird QA session you have right at the end is a bit much, considering how subtle the rest of the game is.

I am seriously in love with this game's soundtrack and still listen to it somewhat regularly. It has very unique sounding instrumentation, catchy melodies, and in general contributed a lot to the game's atmosphere. Has there been anything else like it since this game?

woopWOOP

Whenever there's a thread about biggest disappointments or garbage game design decisions, this game comes to mind. Fuck this overpriced turd.

Still I agree on the presentation, it's a lovely looking game. Nice character design, beautiful towns, good background music, the stage intros and cavaran segments were cute. Man, it could've been so great....

Caim

Loved it, such a beautiful game, I played through it with my brother multiple times.

I didn't mind the Chalice system, but it does get a bit tedious in the later cycles.

Spell fusion was awesome once you got the hang of it.

The GBA SP being required for multiplayer was neat and I get what they were going for, but I wish it could have just been played with multiple controllers instead.

The soundtrack was amazing as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfQ4DiRzd14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwY0geNQoGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLL-zEZACGM

AndrewPL

I only ever played most of the game with 3 players. It was a great experience.

Never did finish it but it was fun trying to time spell fusions, counting down 3, 2, 1, fire...etc etc.

Having a bucket carrier meant that you all had to stay in the same area and had to communicate where to go next rather than just run off and grab whatever.

Doing the loot also felt like you wanted to help the team rather than selfishly grab whatever you wanted first.

Made for a unique experience that you don't really get anywhere else these days.

Firemind

You still needed to work together with Four Swords and it felt more natural, since you weren't artificially restricted.
Nah, I remember some of the block puzzles where everyone has to go a different path and it was basically a lottery who got the biggest rupee in the end. It's blue shell levels of bullshit.

Jiraiza

Great game, didn't mind the Chalice system myself. I remember having to drive around to look for GBA cables so I could play with my brother and friends. Good times.

A damn shame there wasn't a proper successor but with the Nintendo DS instead.

Dreavus

Whenever there's a thread about biggest disappointments or garbage game design decisions, this game comes to mind. Fuck this overpriced turd.

Still I agree on the presentation, it's a lovely looking game. Nice character design, beautiful towns, good background music, the stage intros and cavaran segments were cute. Man, it could've been so great....

I agree the GBAs were not needed. It gets you a map and a "secret objective", that's pretty much it. They also use it for some menu stuff and a minigame. Still, nothing that couldn't be done on the TV screen itself if they really wanted to. It was pretty gimmicky for this game and I'm not sure why this was the one that they decided to try the GBA connection stuff on.

I was lucky enough to be able to scrape together enough GBAs to play this (lol, what a sentence!) but that was absolutely an unnecessary barrier for lots of people.

Four Swords is a better example of a game that actually makes good use of the extra screens. It feels like a local MP game that couldn't be done without them - how when you go indoors it pops you on to the GBA screen without disrupting anyone else. All four players could be off doing their own thing and it works great IMO (other than the lack of a backlight if you were running an OG GBA!).

Top Bottom