• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Ninja Gaiden II (360/PS3)

clav

I've always thought that if Itagaki had more time developing the game, it would have absolutely surpass its predecessor. The last parts of the game seem half-baked with a lot of the environments lacking details and colors like the earlier levels.

Definitely nailed the gameplay.

jorgeton

I really love this game, warts and all. It's just so over the top: The gore, the crazy plot (four armed werewolves, naked women bathing in blood, murasama cutting baddies in half), the world-hopping scenario. I agree that the difficulty comes from some cheap mechanics, but those parts are short in the scheme of the larger game.

And I think I'm alone in this, but I really enjoyed the vita port. My only NG2 experience had been the OG 360 version, so the Sigma upgrades were quite nice, and having it on the go was even better.

clav

The upgrades to third tier just allowed you to auto combo up to 100+ hits easily.

Just made button mashers so fun to watch before Bayonetta.

NG2 was one of those few games you could turn off your brain and just enjoy what's happening on the screen.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The upgrades to third tier just allowed you to auto combo up to 100+ hits easily.

Just made button mashers so fun to watch before Bayonetta.

NG2 was one of those few games you could turn off your brain and just enjoy what's happening on the screen.

I don't think it's this. You still have to put quite a lot of thought into the encounters. It's just that you feel like you're along for the ride because you're doing it all so quickly.

Big Nikus

Wow, I wanted to post a LTTP Ninja Gaiden 2 thread as I started playing it yesterday and oh my god I LOVE IT. I picked the 360 version, 'cause gore I wanted, and gore I have.
I'm a huge DMC and Bayonetta fan and I'm thrilled to play this gem for the first time. Yeah it's hard but I know I'll beat it at least half a dozen times. I beat the first Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3 last week and I loved it too. In fact it drove me into a Ninja Gaiden frenzy and I played the NES trilogy for the first time on emulator (I may have used some game genie codes because, you know... I'm just a human being). Damn I beat DMC 1-4 and Bayonetta I don't know how many times, and it feels really good to enjoy something "new". I knew I was going to like this serie, I don't know why it took me so long to get to it...
I also got the DS game (Dragon Sword), but I'll play it later. I'm gonna enjoy at least two NG2 runs before jumping to Razor's Edge. I hope it's gonna be infuriatingly hard.

jns

Man, I know I'm suppose to love NGB more than NG2, but there is something about the weapons and combat engine in NG2 that just makes me fucking grin when I'm playing. That's no slight on Black, btw. Both are amazing action games. I also prefer Dark Souls to Demon, so I think it's just one of those things where you can be a huge fan of two games--love them both to bits--but love one just a little more :D

Anyway, I always love seeing a NG thread on gaf. Now that Team Ninja is dog-teir, I hope somehow, someway we will see another action game by Itagaki on PS4/Bone.

Big Nikus

Maybe there's a chance that Devil's Third (his new game) will get a release on new platforms. We'll see at E3. In any case I can't wait to see some new footage. I really like Itagaki's approach on games and his provocative/no bullshit attitude. It makes him kinda sympathetic in a way.

TheChits

NG2 is one of my favorite from last gen. The combat system and weapon variety are top notch. Those fucking tonfas, man. Too much fun

People played Path of the Mentor?

Fucking hell, I only beat Path of the Warrior. Nowadays when trying to replay it I can't even do much in Path of the Acolyte.

The original Ninja Gaiden 2 is absolutely a great game. The challenge amps up to ridiculous bullshit levels but something kept me going.

Now I want to play it again.

That slow motion staircase battle was unforgettable too. And the boss that can still kill you after it dies. I hope Devil's Third will have balls as big as this game.

One of my favorite games last gen. Liked it so much I also bought and completed the PS3 version.

The weapons...claws, scythe , lunar...all my weapons of choice. The blood on the 360 version was so fucking good.

I was never able to beat the final boss on the 360 version. I got him to literally 1HP and he killed me. Gave up and beat Sigma 2 on PS3.

I'm on the camp of those who love sigma 2.

Don't get me wrong both are great games , but NG2 had so many bullsh*t moments i can't accept it at face value.
The fun is there in NG2, but seriously it feels like an artificial fun rather than something you can enjoy for what it is..

This Game ! I played the 360 version 5 times to the end. Acolyte->Warrior->Mentor->Master->and a run without the use of any main weapon on New Game+ for the fun of it. Despite the flaws its THE PERFECT Action game for me.

Hope for a NGIII will never die...

NG2 was my favorite action game last gen. NG2-S was terrible and if you had the choice, I'd tell you to play the 360 version a million times out of ten. In Sigma, you only get like 1.3 enemys on screen at a time--all with 700 times the health--and of course, no blood. The additional characters are bad and so are their levels. The 360 version has some stupid shit happening at times, but no amount of exploding dogs and homing missiles or tunnels of green worms or cinematic staircases can drag down how fucking amazing it feels to tear the almighty fucking hell out of everything, with everything.

Just in case I wasn't clear:
NG2 == the best
NG2S == the worst

I also approve of this thread wholeheartedly.

Pretty much this for me. Despite the flaws (which were most likely the result of the deteriorating relationship between Itagaki and Tecmo), it's still beats out Bayonetta and DMC for me.

Top Bottom