• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The best Punch-Out!! game...

Piano

Banned
SuperPunchout001.png

That's right, Super Punch-Out!! The vastly improved sequel to the NES original (we're not counting the Arcade games here). I enjoyed the original Punch-Out!! plenty when I was a kid, but ever since my first encounter with Super Punch-Out!! a few years later I fail to understand why this game is so criminally overlooked, since it improves on the original in almost every way.
SuperPunchout0058.png

+Better Gameplay.
Gone is the useless and irritating hearts system. In its place we get more defensive options (body & face blocks in addition to ducking and dodging), a special meter that rewards being in the zone rather than memorizing random cues (like the star punches in the original), and some of the most satisfying punches & sound effects in any boxing or fighting game I've played.
+Spot-on Controls
They're among the most responsive of any game I've played and are far better than the awkward travel time of Little Mac's 20 foot jumping uppercuts from the first game.
+Time-Attack Gameplay
Instead of getting screwed out of a third knockdown by the end of a Round like in the first game, you get one continuous period of time in which to try to bring down your opponent as quickly and creatively as possible. The addition of Time Attack and score keeping creates a whole secondary game of trying to find the tricks to beating everyone quickly - at the height of my fandom, I could beat nearly every character in the game under a minute (and about a third of them under 20 seconds).
SuperPunchout0501.png

+Beautiful Spritework
Huge, colorful and charming graphics. This is what initially pulled me into the game. The original had some cool character sprite work, but there were tons of little inconsistencies and things that didn't make sense (like why is Bald Bull vomiting when I punch him in the face, and why is Little Mac less than 4 feet tall?)
+Awesome Music
And sound effects in general. But tell me this credit sequence track isn't the perfect finale to a blood pumping boxing game. I watch it all the way through every time.
+Interesting Characters
This seems to be where everyone gives the original NES game the edge, and while I agree that its characters are a bit more memorable overall, if you take off your nostalgia glasses you can see that Super Punch-Out!! has an awesome cast. Not to mention the original has its fair share of clunkers (sorry guys, Piston Honda really isn't any more interesting than, say, Rick Bruiser).
+Better Difficulty Curve
Overall Super Punch-Out!! is a bit too easy, but that's because as you progress through the game, most of the challenge is created through enemies with unique attack patterns rather than boring fighters who just have ludicrously powerful punches (see: Mike Tyson). This cat-and-mouse game of learning the proper patterns of dodges and blocks is way more fun than having your punch be less than 1/30th the power of your opponent's.

The game isn't perfect. Should've been a bit harder, final boss is pretty boring, and I wish they had brought back some different characters from the first game (Mr. Sandman? Blech.). But it has some of the most engaging gameplay of any game I've ever played and remains in my top 5 favorite games of all time...

...which is why I've been so disappointed with Punch-Out!! Wii. I picked it up last week used from Gamestop. Why'd they get rid of all of so many gameplay improvements from the sequel?! The punches no longer feel as impactful as they do in the SNES game, and why the shit do I have to deal with bullshit hearts again?! Not to mention the cast of the game is pretty underwhelming...I could have done with a few more Super Punch-Out!! characters or new boxers instead of it feeling like a remake of the NES game. Who was asking for Von Kaiser anyways? He's a pretty boring character.

At the very least, it made me pick up Super Punch-Out!! again and play through it a couple of times. I think I'm going to return it for another game, though.

entremet

It's definitely one of my favorites games on the SNES. Much more balanced than the original. And I loved all the tricks to get better times.

Glix

All three were amazing for their time. I LOVE all three of them very much, don't think I could rank them.

The OP comes dangerously close to saying bad things about the original. I WILL NOT HAVE IT!! :lol

ryan-ts

I thought the boxers from Super Punch-Out were incredibly lame in comparison to the original. They were all boring and generic. I also played Super Punch-Out well before I played the original.

Yeah sorry, but punch out wii is my favourite too. Don't know how much you've played it eastonator but it gets so much better when the difficulty starts to kick in. All the opponents become much more fun when you fight them in title defense mode.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
All 3 are great but the Wii version is the best. It's the purest.

Adam J.

Punch Out Wii is the only one I could beat, although I'll admit that I never beat the title-defense circuit. That game has some of the most charming 3D character models/animation ever.

This is definitely one of my SNES favorites. I like to return to this game every now & then, but I can never get past the old Chinese guy. I've seen many complaints here about the non conventional boxers in SPO, but I've never had a problem with that.

I agree with the people who think Punch Out Wii is the definitive PO game though.

Piano

Banned
Lijik said:
This.
Also Von Kaiser is awesome, shut your whore mouth.
ryan-ts said:
I thought the boxers from Super Punch-Out were incredibly lame in comparison to the original. They were all boring and generic. I also played Super Punch-Out well before I played the original.
How are they generic? I don't see how Von Kaiser is any more interesting than, say, Aran Ryan. Or how Piston Honda is any better than Piston Hurricane. Not to mention the original used almost every character twice to flesh out its length, while Super Punch Out is more varied.

Glix said:
All three were amazing for their time. I LOVE all three of them very much, don't think I could rank them.

The OP comes dangerously close to saying bad things about the original. I WILL NOT HAVE IT!! :lol
I like the original, it's just rough around the edges. Super Punch Out is the Melee to Punch Out's Smash 64.

Narag

SalsaShark said:
Wii Punch-Out is best Punch-Out.

.. ehh, raise shield i guess ?

You are correct.

Adam J. said:
Punch Out Wii is the only one I could beat, although I'll admit that I never beat the title-defense circuit. That game has some of the most charming 3D character models/animation ever.

The entirety of Mr. Sandman's intro is one of my favorite bits of gaming.

Piano

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
Yeah sorry, but punch out wii is my favourite too. Don't know how much you've played it eastonator but it gets so much better when the difficulty starts to kick in. All the opponents become much more fun when you fight them in title defense mode.
I'm three or four boxers into Title Defense. It isn't fun so far because now that they're so much more powerful than Mac, beating them within the time limit basically requires star punches, which means either tons of trial and error to find them / time them or looking it up on GameFAQs.

Otherwise every single match ends up dragging into the third round.

TheEastonator said:
I'm three or four boxers into Title Defense. It isn't fun so far because now that they're so much more powerful than Mac, beating them within the time limit basically requires star punches, which means either tons of trial and error to find them / time them or looking it up on GameFAQs.

Otherwise every single match ends up dragging into the third round.

Fair enough. Personally I found it fun having to experiment to find how to get stars. The lower margin for error made me really learn and appreciate the patterns and made the fights more tense. Different strokes I guess ;)

Kurtofan

I love Super Punch out so fucking much, it's really fun.
I tried Punch Out Wii a bit( up until Great Tiger) but the wiimote controls are tiring.
I might give it another try as it was fun.
Seeing Bear Killer back gave me a huge nostalgia feeling, I could never beat the fucker as a kid.

Cipherr

TheEastonator said:
I'm three or four boxers into Title Defense. It isn't fun so far because now that they're so much more powerful than Mac, beating them within the time limit basically requires star punches, which means either tons of trial and error to find them

Well it really is a puzzle game in a boxing skin. It really always has been that kind of game. Patterns etc.

Kurtofan said:
I love Super Punch out so fucking much, it's really fun.
I tried Punch Out Wii a bit( up until Great Tiger) but the wiimote controls are tiring.
I might give it another try as it was fun.

You know you don't have to use the waggle right? Sideways wiimote is the way to go.

Kurtofan

Air Zombie Meat said:
You know you don't have to use the waggle right? Sideways wiimote is the way to go.
I think I switched to that mode and found it way more enjoyable that way, but then I had SMG2 and the godly DKCR so I kind of forgot about this game :lol

I'll probably get back to it once I find the time.

pitt_norton

SNES Punch Out!! really was a great package... my most played game on that system.

I loved Punch Out!! Wii but yeah, the fact it removed the awesome improvements of Super Punch Out!! and had not brought back a few more characters left me with a tinge of sadness of lost potential.

Boney

Banned
Air Zombie Meat said:
I got to Title Defense with waggle. Feels great, especially dodging with the analog.

I did try the waggle but it just seemed like expending more effort to do the same things. Also I was used to normal punch out controls so it felt weird.

Haunted

SalsaShark said:
Wii Punch-Out is best Punch-Out.
It's true.

But SNES Punch Out is also totally amazing. Wasn't there for the original, and it doesn't hold up in comparison.

Yeah, the Wii installment is the best, overall, most challenging of all the Punch-Out!! games. And that's mainly because it's basically a perfected version of NES game's superior refinement of the arcade games. Super on SNES was awesome, too, but I really missed the star system of power punches for its strategic value. The build up meter rewarded accuracy of consecutive punches thrown much better, like the original arcade games, but it never felt like you could turn the tide of the fight as dynamically as the star system allowed for.

strideramc

I still hold a special place for Mike Tyson's Punchout on the NES, but the Wii version was a great game, probably better then the original, I just have that nostalgia factor going on.

MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, the Wii installment is the best, overall, most challenging of all the Punch-Out!! games. And that's mainly because it's basically a perfected version of NES game's superior refinement of the arcade games. Super on SNES was awesome, too, but I really missed the star system of power punches for its strategic value. The build up meter rewarded accuracy of consecutive punches thrown much better, like the original arcade games, but it never felt like you could turn the tide of the fight as dynamically as the star system allowed for.

You gotta know how to use the Super Punches to turn the tide of battle. Well timed Super Punches can knock someone out in a hit just as easily.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I think the original and Super are about even. Sure, super is more refined, but the original is a bit more challenging imo. Wii's pretty good as well, but I found the controls a bit floaty in comparison. Love them all though.

Knocks

NES, then Wii.

Thumbs down to Wii for:

1) forcing us to use the tiny ass remote D-pad
2) disabling the main mode once you beat the game

neoism said:
guys would this game be good for exorcise?
The multiplayer mode and optional motion controls suck, but I'd chalk that up to bad execution rather than evil spirits.

Cow Mengde said:
You gotta know how to use the Super Punches to turn the tide of battle. Well timed Super Punches can knock someone out in a hit just as easily.
Hmmm...for me, it just never felt as instant an option as earning a star punch for a single well-timed punch since you had to build up to it in some way. It basically slowed things down a little too much, IMO.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Adam J. said:
Then you didn't beat it. You got halfway through the game :p

Boney

Banned
neoism said:
guys would this game be good for exorcise?
You'll get tired if you play with the wii motes and throw good jabs. Haven't tried the balance board, but that shouldn't work well.

MightyHedgehog said:
The multiplayer mode and optional motion controls suck, but I'd chalk that up to bad execution rather than evil spirits.

Hmmm...for me, it just never felt as instant an option as earning a star punch for a single well-timed punch since you had to build up to it in some way. It basically slowed things down a little too much, IMO.

Strongly disagree. Beat the entire game using the motion controls, title defense and all. Was a lot more fun than sideways remote and I was very often sweating and my arms were often sore.

When I got up to Mr. Sandman on title defense I was stuck for so long that I considered switching to sideways remote.... only to find that I got my ass kicked, so I switched back to motion controls and beat him down. :D

Multiplayer is meh though.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I gotta disagree about the music for the SNES Punch Out. It's pretty bad, especially considering what the SNES music chip was capable of. It can't compare to the NES version's iconic music.

Rush2thestart said:
Strongly disagree. Beat the entire game using the motion controls, title defense and all.
Hmmm, I guess I never gave it more than a four or five matches before coming to the conclusion that it just felt too inconsistent to rely upon. I'll have to give it another go.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Rush2thestart said:
Strongly disagree. Beat the entire game using the motion controls, title defense and all. Was a lot more fun than sideways remote and I was very often sweating and my arms were often sore.

When I got up to Mr. Sandman on title defense I was stuck for so long that I considered switching to sideways remote.... only to find that I got my ass kicked, so I switched back to motion controls and beat him down. :D

Multiplayer is meh though.

Same. I played all the way through with motion controls. Worked really well and was a ton of fun.

And yeah, Wii Punchout is my favorite.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Super Punch Out is an amazing game. I'd never played the NES game but picked up SPO from a bargain bin based on the boxart alone - it ended up being one of my favorites of all time. The competition for getting the best times got pretty heated between my relatives and I. :lol

I've enjoyed what little of the Wii game I've played so far, but I just don't like the mechanics nearly as much as Super's. Maybe I'll give the motion controls a shot next time...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
everyone had trouble on Hoy Quarlow, right? :lol

Also, Mad Clown and Super Macho Man.

Pizza cake

It's all about Teleroboxer on Virtual Boy - where you can see the punches coming right at your face in 3D! That one should have had "Punch Out" in its name, but Nintendo (foolishly) chose not to use any big franchise names on the system, though there was a number of Nintendo-developed games on the system that would have fit perfectly into different well-known franchises.

Dunno where the hate's coming from for the hearts - they are what emulates the fact that boxers who get hit a lot start getting woozy. Without the hearts it would just be too easy.

Mdk7

Add me to the Wii Punch-Out! enthusiasts as well.
That game features the best animations ever seen in a videogame, period.

Dragmire

Super Punchout is great, but +1 for Punchout Wii being the best.

I think a good description for the game, as well as the rest of the series, is 'frustratingly good.'

boiled goose

good with gravy
super punchout was great, but the core gameplay was quite a departure from the original.

In the original it was all about lightning fast reflexes and pattern recognition.
In Super it was more about memorizing long patterns and executing complex sequences.

I liked the more stereotypical boxer characters from the original over the very wacky and less boxer-y characters from super.

All three games are great. The original is still my favorite.

Top Bottom