• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

You want a creepy Pokemon?

How about the first (only?) zombie Pokemon?

Spr_1b_047.png

"Why does this Pokemon have beady soulless eyes?"

The bug host is drained of energy by the mushrooms on its back. They appear to do all the thinking.
It stays mostly in dark, damp places, the preference not of the bug, but of the big mushrooms on its back
A mushroom grown larger than the host's body controls Parasect. It scatters poisonous spores.

oh

It makes the episode where that kid wanted to evolve her Paras so badly kind of sad for the poor little Paras.

It's based on a real insect and fungus relationship that basically turns them into zombies, but it translated to Pokemon in a really interesting way.

You think about how trainers have a relationship with a Pokemon, treating it as a pet. This seems to be a common occurrence both in the game, and much more in the anime. If you had a pet who had mushrooms on its back that were sapping nutrients and slowly overtaking his mind, would you then encourage that mushroom to grow more and more, leaving a husk of a body entirely controlled by the mushroom? No, you'd probably freak out and find a way to remove it. But... in the Pokemon world.

Yea...

As a kid, I thought Parasect was just a hermit crab. I didn't know what a cicada was (not until Ruby and Sapphire taunt me about them) nor did I ever imagine there was a fungus in real life that overtakes the entire insect's body.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well as I said, the show glosses over the parasite element---I don't recall it's ever brought up, and the PokeDex in the show never mentions it either, instead focusing on the medicinal value of the mushrooms. So in the Problem With Paras, Parasect is really just another evolution.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I used to like Mewtwo as a kid and I still do as an adult but as time went on I kinda grew tired everyone over rating him.

Mewtwo is a relic of the 90s as that's when Dolly the sheep was born but I still have to admire how he managed to stick in people mind.

doesn't charmander die if the flame on its tail goes out?

that seems like something that would probably happen pretty easily! :(

That's why Charmander are usually found high up in the mountain.

MBS

Banned
As i kid i thought that the mushroom in Parasect was his shield like the shell of a turtle. When i realised that the "mushroom" was essentially the main parasite-Pokemon that controls the body i was totally shocked.

A similar thing also happens to Slowpoke when it's bitten by a Shelder.

Spr_5b_080.png

If the tail-biting Shellder is thrown off in a harsh battle, it reverts to being an ordinary Slowpoke.

Naturally dull to begin with, it lost its ability to feel pain due to Shellder's seeping poison.

An attached Shellder won't let go because of the tasty flavor that oozes out of its tail.

And seems that Shellder has completely taken over by the time it evolved into Slowking:

Spr_4h_199.png

Slowking undertakes research every day in an effort to solve the mysteries of the world. However, this Pokémon apparently forgets everything it has learned if the Shellder on its head comes off.

When its head was bitten, toxins entered Slowpoke's head and unlocked an extraordinary power.

It's implied that if the Shellder detaches from the body, Slowbro/King turns back into a Slowpoke.

Razmos

I love how scared Mega Slowbro looks
1408202401-mega-slowbro-2.png

It's like "This shell is getting a bit out of hand"
Like the shell has been trying to eat it all along and it has only just realized it now, when it has nearly enveloped it. It's so delightfully "Slow", I love it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Slowpoke, Slowbro and Slowking evolution annoys the hell out of me, the Pokédex and the Animé has us to believe that he evolves when a Shellder clamps onto its tail but in the game he just evolves normally at either level 37 or traded while holding a Kings rock, not once is Shellder required at all.

MBS

Banned
Slowpoke, Slowbro and Slowking evolution annoys the hell out of me, the Pokédex and the Animé has us to believe that he evolves when a Shellder clamps onto its tail but in the game he just evolves normally at either level 37 or traded while holding a Kings rock, not once is Shellder required at all.

There's no logic between Pokemon biology and actual evolution really. It just.. happens.

It's implied that if the Shellder detaches from the body, Slowbro/King turns back into a Slowpoke.

Slowbro_losing_Shellder.png

Slowking_losing_Shellder.png

And then they did this for Mantyke and Remoraid for some reason.

Anth0ny

I like how in Pokemon Snap, a Slowpoke actually evolves into a Slowbro via Slowpoke getting too close to water and a Shellder biting his damn tail.

It would have been neat if you were required to have a Shellder in your party in order to have Slowpoke evolve into Slowbro. then the Shellder would just... vanish. lol

also how the hell does shellder become that thing on slowbro's tail? pokemon is so weird <3

Razmos

It's implied that it is a symbiotic relationship right? perhaps Slowpoke releases chemicals from its tail (which is what draws the Shellder to bite it in the first place) and these chemicals cause Shellder to change as well. The Shellder then releases chemicals which makes the Slowpoke stronger. The same chemicals are probably what make it into Slowking as well, just that it makes Slowpoke smarter, rather than stronger.

Obviously the kings rock goes on the Slowpokes head which causes the Shellder to bite there, but I wonder what it is about the Kings Rock that does that? the trade evolution part is probably just stupid gameplay limitations.
b3e21430bf13af4c53ccdb5903c2d5e9ec88061e_hq.gif

MBS

Banned
also how the hell does shellder become that thing on slowbro's tail? pokemon is so weird <3

From Bulbagarden:

Regardless of which form the two Pokémon evolve into, Shellder's shell transforms into a spiny, spiraled cone with several tiers. Sharp teeth develop around the rim of the shell to anchor it securely to the evolved Slowpoke, and its eyes now peek out from the bottom rim of the shell. In its crown form, Shellder will have a red jewel on its underside and a large horn on either side of its shell

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is this applicable to you guys

562.gif

anyway if slowpoke was updated I wish they added that method

Macka

I still stand by that it is the laziest among the Kanto starter that integrates the typing into the mon, the best being Bulbasaur line
I don't think this is fair at all. How else would you make it obvious that Charmander is a fire type? It's much harder to do for Fire than Water or Grass, because they have infinitely more things that could be incorporated into a design to signify their type. Fire has...well, fire. Or a fire pattern of some sort.

Using fire itself seems like the absolute best way to make it blatantly clear what type it is, and considering this was one of the first Pokemon new players would see in Red and Blue, this was probably considered important.

Just finished reading the Machoke entry. I never saw those lines to be veins; I have always viewed Machoke as literally and figuratively ripped lol.
Like he's so muscular that his muscles are ripping through his skin. :D

You want a creepy Pokemon?

How about the first (only?) zombie Pokemon?

Spr_1b_047.png

"Why does this Pokemon have beady soulless eyes?"

oh

It makes the episode where that kid wanted to evolve her Paras so badly kind of sad for the poor little Paras.

It's based on a real insect and fungus relationship that basically turns them into zombies, but it translated to Pokemon in a really interesting way.

You think about how trainers have a relationship with a Pokemon, treating it as a pet. This seems to be a common occurrence both in the game, and much more in the anime. If you had a pet who had mushrooms on its back that were sapping nutrients and slowly overtaking his mind, would you then encourage that mushroom to grow more and more, leaving a husk of a body entirely controlled by the mushroom? No, you'd probably freak out and find a way to remove it. But... in the Pokemon world.

Yea...

As a kid, I thought Parasect was just a hermit crab. I didn't know what a cicada was (not until Ruby and Sapphire taunt me about them) nor did I ever imagine there was a fungus in real life that overtakes the entire insect's body.

So we're fighting Parasects in The Last of Us then? what a twist.

Dryk

Just finished reading the Machoke entry. I never saw those lines to be veins; I have always viewed Machoke as literally and figuratively ripped lol.
Like he's so muscular that his muscles are ripping through his skin. :D
Like I said before I really like this interpretation because of the horrific implications regarding his power limiter

MBS

Banned
Those picture seem to suggest that Shellder has another evolution that Game Freak hasn't named or given a dex number.

It's probably the same Shellder with an actual mouth and a different body. There's not official explanation.

Boss Doggie

I don't think this is fair at all. How else would you make it obvious that Charmander is a fire type? It's much harder to do for Fire than Water or Grass, because they have infinitely more things that could be incorporated into a design to signify their type. Fire has...well, fire. Or a fire pattern of some sort.

Using fire itself seems like the absolute best way to make it blatantly clear what type it is, and considering this was one of the first Pokemon new players would see in Red and Blue, this was probably considered important.

Why not just give him flame wings? That's much more apt. Or hell give him a gas container on his back.

Watch Da Birdie

KFhX0d6.png

#074 - Geodude
Rock/Ground

Geodude is another Link Evolution family, and like Abra and Machop he's been a key part of the Pokemon Experience for basically every game excluding Black and White. Despite this, I feel Geodude's design and style is a bit different from Abra, Machop, and the final Gen I Link Evolution Gastly, due to being more of a feral creature compared to the others who are more "humanoid" and depicted as being a bit unusual and special. Geodude is our first Pokemon based on a non-living object, although since a rock is a natural part of nature and not a human creation, it's not as bothersome for folks as some of the other material-based Pokemon are. Despite being a rock, it has traits of a living creature including a heart, the need to eat, the ability to reproduce, and a personality, so in Pokemon terms it basically is an animal. Pretty much every material-based Pokemon, even the ones based on manmade objects, have animal-like traits, so the complaint that they're "objects" is sort of misleading since they are treated as animals, just not ones that exist in our world. Geodude is also our first Rock-type Pokemon, and also part-Ground---in fact, outside of the Fossil Pokemon, who the player wouldn't encounter frequently due to their rarity, all the Rock-type Pokemon in Generation I are also part Ground-type, which has lead to quite a few people misunderstanding the individual Type matchups of the Rock-type. I know that there are plenty of folks who due to the show stressing their immunity to Pikachu's Electric attacks, think that Rock-type Pokemon such as Geodude and Onix are immune to Electric-type attacks because of their Rock-type rather than it being only because they're part-Ground. Rock-type Pokemon in general haven't received the best luck from Game Freak as despite having high-defense as you'd expect, they're quite brittle, and have a lot of common weaknesses meaning they're go down fast. The buff that Sturdy, an ability that many Rock-type Pokemon have, in Gen V helped matters though.

Geodude has played an important role in Pokemon as being a common Pokemon among the initial Rock-type Gym Leaders such as Brock, Roxanne, and Roark, and thus is a Pokemon that many players will be familiar with due to how often it appears. Despite being used by Gym Leaders frequently, Geodude never struck me as a Pokemon that most players actually use during their adventure, and I think part of that has to do with the fact that usually by the time you come across Wild Geodude, you've already probably easily defeated the Gym Leader's Geodude, and thus having defeated one that might give you the impression they're weak or expendable Pokemon not worth using. I don't think I've ever touched a member of the Geodude line personally---it just seems like their role is best served as an NPC Pokemon, and not a member of my in-game party. That being said, Geodude's simplistic design and likable personality I think has made it an endearing Pokemon, and I don't feel it's particularly hated either, just a Pokemon that's always sort of been "there".

Despite having arms, Geodude are constantly mistaken for normal rocks in the Pokemon World, presumably they fold their arms up when in disguise. Hiking can be a dangerous hobby in the Pokemon World, though, because if you accidentally step on a Geodude who isn't in a deep sleep, it'll pop up and attack you by swinging its rock-hard arms at you. In later Generations, this was incorporated into the actual game through the field-move Rock Smash which, when used on breakable rocks, would often result in a fight with a Wild Geodude---but what would happen if you accidentally smashed Geodude to bits? Do construction workers have to scout out mountains and other rocky terrain they dig at first to make sure they're not accidentally destroying Geodude with drills and dynamite? Also, one PokeDex claims folks throw Geodude at one another during snowball fights...pretty dangerous, huh?

How does Geodude move? Well, according to the PokeDex, and as you'd probably guess by looking at it, Geodude has to crawl along the ground with its arms, or roll down slopes in order to travel. Despite this, the 3D games often show it levitating in mid-air, as does the show, although the show is particularly inconsistent about this, as sometimes Geodude is able to freely float around as it pleases, while at other times it seems bound to the ground and has to hop along instead. I don't blame the show for going with the floating appearance, though, as I imagine having to animate Geodude slowly crawling along the ground would be difficult, and having him float is far easier and cheaper to do. Plus, as a kid, Geodude floating never particularly bothered me or seemed out of place, since in Generation I every sprite basically looked as if it was floating in the middle of nothing.

In the show, Geodude was most famously owned by Brock, and stuck with him throughout Kanto and Johto---despite all this, poor Geodude never did much, nor did it ever evolve. I sort of wish the writers would've at least let it evolve into Graveler just to let it do something. Its only real moments were jobbing in the P1 Grand Prix (which is weird since it was a Fighting-type tournament), and later in an Advanced Generation episode, took down Team Rocket rather skillfully under the control of Brock's brother Forrest who now technically owns it in Brock's place as the new Pewter City Gym Leader. Outside of Brock's, we've seen plenty of Geodude due to their use by the various Rock-type Gym Leaders, but I don't think the Pokemon has really gotten a starring role because it's always playing second-fiddle to bigger Rock-type Pokemon like Onix and Nosepass.

H9MbXwl.png

#075 - Graveler
Rock/Ground

Graveler is the evolution of Geodude, and also plays a somewhat important role in the Pokemon Experience as he typically appears in the end game dungeons, such as Victory Road---so there's kind of a "round trip" to the journey in many of the Pokemon games, where you begin taking down a Geodude in the Rock-type Gym, and end up facing down its evolution as you make your way to the Elite Four. Graveler is actually a pretty good Pokemon to populate Victory Road with, as they have multiple weaknesses and thus are great Pokemon to grind with to level up in order to be ready for the Elite Four. However, this grew a bit more complicated in Gen VI, where the Graveler in Victory Road now had Sturdy, meaning they'd take two hits instead of one, and might end up Self-Destructing on you. There's horror stories about Trainers running into a Shiny Graveler only for it to Self-Destruct right before their very eyes...

Visually, Graveler is a logical evolution of Geodude, a larger rock-monster, and as I said before I enjoy the middle-forms of the Link Evolutions quite a bit. The extra arms though bug me a bit---they don't look as awkward as Machamp's, but I don't get their purpose. Graveler is said to mainly get around by rolling, thus it doesn't seem like he'd need four-arms in order to better get around or anything. Furthermore, while the lower arms were shown to be pretty limber in earlier appearances, Graveler nowadays is almost always shown with the lower arms resting on his chest and sometimes it seems like they're just embedded into his body, so it seems Game Freak decided to sort of diminish this aspect of Graveler's design, and they ultimately remove it completely upon evolution. Graveler is one of those Pokemon whose look changes in little ways throughout the franchise---notice in the old Sugimori Art his claws were brown, but now they're the same color as the rest of his arms. Still, regardless of the little changes he's gone through in his design, I still think it's a really nice and simple one with a good sense of personality.

There's not much to say about Graveler in terms of his personality, though, as he's a very simple Pokemon who loves to roll. Fun for him, dangerous for everyone else. When I was a kid, I'd often ride with my parents to visit my Grandparents and we'd always pass this mountainous area with signs saying "Beware of Falling Rocks"---because I was a huge Pokemon fan for years, and very imaginative, I'd always sort of have this fear that a giant Graveler would roll down any second and possibly crush us. Thankfully, this never happened, but getting killed by a boulder falling on you is probably one of the worst ways you could die. I gotta say, the morbid side of me wonders if you'd even feel that happening, or if you'd lose consciousness before realizing what had just happened. Anyway, back to Graveler, its favorite food is rocks, but this gets me wondering, do Pokemon who eat rocks eat Rock-type Pokemon, or are they able to tell the difference? Do Graveler ever eat their Geodude kids on accident thinking they're just little pebbles?

Graveler's only real important role in the entire show was being used way, way, way back in Kanto by Giselle in The School of Hard Knocks, delivering a smack-down to Misty's Starmie despite being at a major Type Disadvantage. Otherwise, Graveler doesn't enjoy the same popularity among Rock-type Gym Leaders like Geodude does, and thus has only made small appearances here and there throughout the rest of the show. You'll notice there's been a lot of Kanto Pokemon in the show who have pretty sparse appearances despite being around for almost 20 years.

Zwgg8Yj.png

#076 - Golem
Rock/Ground

Golem is the final evolution of Geodude, obtained by trading a Graveler. Golem, like Machamp, wasn't blessed with a Mega Evolution like the other two Link Evolutions, but he hasn't done too bad for himself---he's not the best Pokemon, but seems to be pretty solid, and unlike Machamp his Gen V counterpart didn't steal all of his thunder. Unlike its pre-evolutions, Golem actually did not appear in any of the Generation I games in the Wild or under the command of a Trainer, and thus the only way to see one would be to trade a Graveler. You could say Golem is far less important than his pre-evolutions then when it comes to his impact on the main adventure---even in later games, he's yet to appear in the Wild even though other final-form evolutions have begun to do so in the post-game. By the way, I always found it odd how the localization just named this dude "Golem" and called it a day. How does copyright work when your character is named after a mythological creature?

Golem's always bothered me due to how different he looks from Geodude and Graveler, he's one of the odder Gen I evolutions as he more or less ignores the design elements of his prior forms and just goes off and does his own thing. His design certainly isn't bad (but a step-down from Graveler in my opinion), but he feels out of place and I wonder if he was added later in development perhaps so they could have an extra Link Evolution. This might explain why he doesn't appear in the Generation I games except through evolving Graveler (there's an in-game trade in Japanese Blue though possibly to help players learn about this Pokemon), and according to Bulbapedia he's the only Pokemon to have this trait. I also think that Golem sort of looks like a relative of Onix due to the structure of his face, and his reptilian elements.

While Geodude and Graveler don't appear to be based off any animal, Golem is often compared to a turtle due to his shell---one early episode of the show implied that Golem's shell is like a turtle's shell, and he can withdraw his head and limbs within them, but I believe that was the only time such a trait was shown as far as I recall. The games don't seem to indicate he can do that, and I don't think he was ever shown doing that again in the show either. Golem's body parts seems to basically just stick out of its shell, and I imagine judging by its weight (660 is actually pretty light for such a creature, but for Pokemon that's basically equivalent to 10 tons), the shell isn't hollow but is solid rock all the way through. Like a lizard or a snake, Golem is said to regular shed its skin to grow bigger, but Game Freak never took advantage of this and gave it Shed Skin. Not that I mind, since the Abilities it got are far more useful for it than curing Status Effects which players probably wouldn't bother with on a Rock-type Pokemon.

One trait Golem does share with Graveler is its love of rolling---its rolling is such a common occurrence that folks who live up in the mountains dig paths especially for Golem to roll down so that it doesn't smash up their village. Golem also loves blowing itself up, and uses the force of this explosion to propel itself across mountains. How Pokemon using Self-Destruct and Explosion do so is somewhat of a mystery---presumably when Golem explodes, I imagine the rock shell is what explodes, sending the pieces flying at the opponent like shrapnel, whereas Golem's actual body remains perfect in-tact yet naked and temporarily weak. Either way, I always assume since most of the Pokemon who can use Self-Destruct and Explosion are material creatures, they are somehow able to reform---perhaps there's some core that enables this as long as it remains in-tact. But I have no clue how this works when it comes to animal-type Pokemon who can learn those moves. The show tend to just show Pokemon who self-destruct fainted afterward, but still presumably alive and in one-piece, where most of the manga usually seem to imply the Pokemon's entire body is destroyed---yet I don't think any manga has straight up said the Pokemon died as a result, and usually it's assumed they just get better off-screen.

Golem's debut was a bit like Graveler's, a small appearance in a Kanto episode, the Bridge Bike Gang, that wasn't even focused around it, and the Pokemon never really got an episode dedicated to it. We've seen quite a few important late-series Trainers use one though, opposite Geodude who always appears in the earlier episodes, such as Giovanni, Gary in the Johto League, Bertha of the Sinnoh Elite Four, and also Brock's dad (who shares his dub name with another member of the Sinnoh Elite Four) owns a Golem as his main Pokemon, and perhaps his partner from his Pokemon Trainer days.

jnWake

I'd guess not many people bother with the Geodude line because of that double x4 weakness. Makes it pretty risky to use.

Watch Da Birdie

I'd guess not many people bother with the Geodude line because of that double x4 weakness. Makes it pretty risky to use.

From my understanding, it seems like for Rock-type Pokemon x2 or x4 weakness to Water and Grass doesn't make much of a difference.

Seems he's used more than the pure-Rock Boldore line.

Anth0ny

I always found it so weird that no trainer had a Golem in gen 1, so you couldn't even see him unless you traded for him.

Bruno totally should have had a Golem instead of two fucking Onixs.

That's partially why I don't. The other reason is that they seem to common to me. I've only used a Geodude for Rock Smash and put him back in the PC after I'm done.

Azuran

Banned

They're also slow as molasses. Slow Pokemon are kinda bad in single player and no casual player is going to waste time setting up Trick Room for them.

I always found it so weird that no trainer had a Golem in gen 1, so you couldn't even see him unless you traded for him.

Bruno totally should have had a Golem instead of two fucking Onixs.

I dunno. Onix looks like a solid choice with that:

35 Base HP
45 Base Attack
160 Base Defense
30 Base Special
70 Base Speed

35 Base HP
45 Base Attack
160 Base Defense
30 Base Special
70 Base Speed

Yeah as a kid I always thought Onix was a super tough Pokemon, so I was surprised to see how low his attack stat is.

Plus, what's the point of all that defense if he has no HP? :p

Bladenic

Onix is the biggest example of stats not matching the appearance. You're gonna tell me a giant ass rock snake hits as hard as some weak ass bug?

Macka

Why not just give him flame wings? That's much more apt. Or hell give him a gas container on his back.
Giving Charmander flame wings would utterly shatter the progression he goes through when he evolves. He starts as a lizard that becomes a Dragon.

As for a gas container...seriously? That kind of suggestion proves my point that there is very little to add to a design that would scream 'fire'.

Giving Charmander flame wings would utterly shatter the progression he goes through when he evolves. He starts as a lizard that becomes a Dragon.

As for a gas container...seriously? That kind of suggestion proves my point that there is very little to add to a design that would scream 'fire'.

I'm pretty sure they were being sarcastic :p

Edit: Oh hang on, I didn't realise it was the same guy that said the design was lazy to start with. Now I don't know what to believe.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, Golem always felt like an odd evolution. And it's funny looking back to when it was once considered one of the best Pokemon in the game and comparing it with its current state. Though it wasn't the only victim, and a few were already mentioned.

Interesting fact. In Pokemon Yellow you actually obtain a Machamp from an in-game trade, by forking over a Cubone to this guy:

route5trade.png

This and a Gengar found in-game trade in Diamond/Pearl are the only ways to obtain these guys without actually trading.

Boss Doggie

that's the idea though, the flame wings is Charizard's own way of becoming a dragon (well, flying lizard), a creative use of applying fire to a design

and a gastank wouldn't be so different with water cannons

Seil

Interesting fact. In Pokemon Yellow you actually obtain a Machamp from an in-game trade, by forking over a Cubone to this guy:

route5trade.png

This and a Gengar found in-game trade in Diamond/Pearl are the only ways to obtain these guys without actually trading.

You can find wild Gengar in DPPt when using the dual slot feature with a gen 3 game.

Rock/Ground Pokemon are tricky to use in the main game's story because there's a billion Water Types and loads of Water Type trainers on specific Water type routes, and Water types are generally fast, and Rock/Ground Pokemon are always slow.

Gen 1 is probably the most friendly to Rock/Ground types, because a huge portion of the Water trainers have Magikarp. But it had a Gym leader that uses the most consistently good Water type in the series (Starmie), a few gyms later is a Grass gym, then along with an Elite 4 member that's technically Ice, but has mostly Water types. And Ground is weak to Ice anyway. So even in a game where the Water routes are particularly dangerous for Rock/Ground types, you still have three major enemies in the game that can utterly crush a poor Rock/Ground type.

You'd think having an electric gym would help, but right next to the electric gym is Dugtrio, who sets you up with an amazing Ground type for the rest of the game.

Using a Rock/Ground Pokemon in Hoenn is suicide.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I don't think that I will ever use the Geodude line on my main team, it's far too slow and has a double 4x weakness.

So if I was to use the Geodude line it would be a HM reverse member.

No offence but putting a gas container on his back terrible idea and just scream Digimonish and Moltres took the flame wing.

And beside Charmander design is fine, maybe a bit simple but sometime simple works best.

You can't get a Gengar from the in-game trade, the NPC trolls you by putting an ever stone on Haunter thus preventing it from evolving.

Boss Doggie

No offence but putting a gas container on his back terrible idea and just scream Digimonish and Moltres took the flame wing.

And beside Charmander design is fine, maybe a bit simple but sometime simple works best.

I meant literal flame wings. At least it emphasizes the element out. And it can't be "digimon"-ish when it came out earlier than Digimon and you got Blastoise already with water cannons.

Yeah simple, but you know what, the others are simple too yet they got their elements out properly. But I digress, I just feel like the line is lacking yet the "familiarity" aspect of it and that it tickles the stuff of a child gets people to like it.

woopWOOP

I had a Graveler named Harden (it's the only move it came with when I caught it, ha) which I trained to lvl 100 and used in Pokemon Stadium battles against friends and relatives.
I never evolved it because I thought the 4 arms were cool looking while the weird boulder turtle was pretty dumb. It was destroyed pretty easily, but fuck it, Graveler yeah!

Then I traded it to a friend when I wanted to restart a file of Pokemon Blue and he forgot to cancel the evolution. I was pissed lol

35 Base HP
45 Base Attack
160 Base Defense
30 Base Special
70 Base Speed

Onix's stats don't fit his design at all. He's a giant, imposing rock snake, and yet his stats are more similar to a tiny baby bird.

You really understand why Steelix exists when you look at those stats. Onix was always a first form Pokemon, his stats show that. It's too bad he had to wait an entire generation to finally evolve, and even so, has a convoluted evolution process.

Top Bottom