• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Uh, guys, I just hatched a shiny female Eevee and I have no idea what to do. She has a Modest nature, but it looks like her SpAtk IV isn't the best (I was really just concentrated on hatching a female Eevee in the first place.)

I want her on my in game team, but now I can't decide what to evolve her into. Help?

EDIT: She's the first shiny I've seen since I encountered a shiny Poochyena (before I got my first pokeballs - broke my heart to make it faint) when I started Emerald around ten years ago.

NEO0MJ

Uh, guys, I just hatched a shiny female Eevee and I have no idea what to do. She has a Modest nature, but it looks like her SpAtk IV isn't the best (I was really just concentrated on hatching a female Eevee in the first place.)

I want her on my in game team, but now I can't decide what to evolve her into. Help?

EDIT: She's the first shiny I've seen since I encountered a shiny Poochyena (before I got my first pokeballs - broke my heart to make it faint) when I started Emerald around ten years ago.

If I'm not mistaken Sylveon is the strongest Eeveelution though you need its hidden ability to make the best of it.

Crayolan

Modest can benefit Jolteon, Vaporeon, Espeon, Glaceon, and Sylveon, probably helping Espeon and Glaceon the most. Though you might want to look up the shinies beforehand, a few of them (Jolteon, Espeon) are kind of ugly IMO.

yeah for shiny eevees you need to know what the rest look like

tumblr_n05gepy3LA1rzl3syo1_500.jpg

Pink and green shinies tend to be kinda hideous. Especially in Gen 6 where the coloring seems pretty off.

I don't mind when it's saturated green, like on Espeon or Mewtwo, but I hate when they do the sludge green color. They do it all the time, especially for yellow Pokemon. Jolteon for example.

Daemul

Goku is pretty cool and rips through Sinnoh, but as a water starter user I prefer Napoleon, my love for the arrogant little Penguin in the anime probably also has a lot to do with that though.

Slighty off topic, but during the recent Fire Embeltm Fates "human petting" debacle I saw many mentions of Pokemon Amie, something which I had never tried and completely forgot even existed, so I booted up Pokemon X and decided to go see what it was about with my bro Greninja, and H-O-L-Y S-H-I-T, the whole thing was creepy as fuck. The game wanted me to rub Greninja is the most dodgy places, as if it was trying to turn me into some massive pervert. The whole thing was hella awkward, it felt as if Gardevoir and Lopunny fanboys had invaded GameFreak and added in their dream feature, it was really weird.

Maybe it wouldn't feel as weird with more animalistic looking Pokemon, but going in there with humanoid Pokemon makes me feel like a sex offender. Fuck using that shit again, once is enough for a lifetime. I wouldn't be upset at all if Amie went the way of FE:Fates human petting in future generations aka gone.

I liked scratching my Pigeot's neck is X.

My real pet bird won't let me pet her, so I have to live it out via my bird Pokemon. It's funny trying to do it on a Pokemon like my OR Skarmory, because it's unlikely he'd even be able to feel my hand on him at all, given his entire body is covered in thick armor that was formed via scar tissue. But he reacts anyway, so, whatever.

It's not really weird at all on the animal Pokemon. Those are really the only Pokemon I've ever used it with, though. I'd never use it on my Blaziken, for example. That would feel strange.

I can't imagine a Pokemon like Mewtwo letting you touch it at all, let alone enjoying it. Even if I'm technically his master. Or on Pokemon like Registeel, who don't seem like they'd show emotion at all, and are just loyal to you in the same way a robot would be. Regice actually can't be petted, speaking of which, due to his cold body.

Also, not only can Crygonal learn attract, but not actually feel love, Crygonal cannot be touched in Pokemon-Amie. Poor guy... err... thing.

Daemul

I liked scratching my Pigeot's neck is X.

My real pet bird won't let me pet her, so I have to live it out via my bird Pokemon. It's funny trying to do it on a Pokemon like my OR Skarmory, because it's unlikely he'd even be able to feel my hand on him at all, given his entire body is covered in thick armor that was formed via scar tissue. But he reacts anyway, so, whatever.

It's not really weird at all on the animal Pokemon. Those are really the only Pokemon I've ever used it with, though. I'd never use it on my Blaziken, for example. That would feel strange.

I can't imagine a Pokemon like Mewtwo letting you touch it at all, let alone enjoying it. Even if I'm technically his master. Or on Pokemon like Registeel, who don't seem like they'd show emotion at all, and are just loyal to you in the same way a robot would be. Regice actually can't be petted, speaking of which, due to his cold body.

Also, not only can Crygonal learn attract, but not actually feel love, Crygonal cannot be touched in Pokemon-Amie. Poor guy... err... thing.

With the exception of the regional birds I rarely use the animalistic pokemon so I'm SOL in that department lol, but lovers of the Waifumons must love Amie, shit is better than anything they could have dreamt of
KuGsj.gif

My OR team was Blaziken, Sharpedo, Shiftry, Glalie, Skarmory and Dusclops, so I had a couple of animal Pokemon. Although petting Sharpedo is silly, because of his ability (which I don't think amie takes into account)

My X team was Charizard, Greninja, Lucario, Pigeot, Noivern and Tyrantrum, and no way am I petting Lucario or Greninja. I barely used it at all in X, other than Pigeot and occasionally Noivern or Tyrantrum.

If I'm not mistaken Sylveon is the strongest Eeveelution though you need its hidden ability to make the best of it.
While I love the variety that hidden abilities provide, I HATE their exclusivity, especially when they represent clear upgrades over what can be caught in the wild.

My Eevee only has Adaptability, so any Sylveon I make can only have Cute Charm. It's not so bad on a female Pokémon (for some reason, human trained Pokémon tend to be male more than female), but Sylveon appears to have a glass jaw physically,which cuts its usefulness somewhat.

Grr. I didn't even know what a Hidden Ability was until you mentioned it.

Modest can benefit Jolteon, Vaporeon, Espeon, Glaceon, and Sylveon, probably helping Espeon and Glaceon the most. Though you might want to look up the shinies beforehand, a few of them (Jolteon, Espeon) are kind of ugly IMO.
Sylveon looks the best out of the ones you mentioned...
yeah for shiny eevees you need to know what the rest look like

tumblr_n05gepy3LA1rzl3syo1_500.jpg
Thanks for this.

the bottom three and umbreon are the only good looking ones, and even Glace and Leaf look barely like a shiny
It looks like my original Eevee (traded from GTS) was bred to make an Umbreon as it knew Curse and something else that benefit a tank as egg moves. But it was Modest, so I guess it had to go.

EDIT: It's for an in-game team and I'm unlikely to ever enter a tournament anyway, so screw it! I am getting a shiny Sylveon!

Besides, by all accounts, making some of the builds on Smogon seems to be impossible without transferring from BW2 and a lot of jumping through hoops with one-time-only Pokémon anyway. I don't plan to dig that deep, with multiple systems etc.

You don't have to go below the shoulders you know? Besides the Froakie line is adorable in Amie with how lax their eyes look. Amie also has some fun mini games too. It's only weird if you make it weird.

Boogiepop

No, shonen is pretty much a demographic (much like kodome), with stories having familiar archetypes and tropes. Origin has every shonen archetype in it.

And Pokemon is under adventure genre, you don't want that?
That should presumably be "kodomo", not "kodome", as kodomo is the word for child, unless I'm missing something. (A minor thing, admittedly, just caught my eye.)

Also, in regards to the anime, I may have said this already, but I really wish they'd go back to having things like the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier. You know, just like a full on filler season, to cut down on the amount each main region needs to be streeeeetched out. Plus it would let them play more with what in my mind is one of the coolest and most underutilized facets of the show: Ash having all those reserve Pokemon. (Not saying either season is perfect, but the ability to throw in some extra "gym battle" equivalents and maybe a big climactic battle ala the Orange League sounds better than the current status of just having more filler of the day episodes).

(Admittedly I haven't watched actively in forever though, so I'm definitely not a good judge on how the series is nowadays. In fact, I'm actually currently going sloooowly through the old stuff they're currently rereleasing in the US. About 25 or so episodes into Johto, just watched that one with the Slowpoke which was pretty fun. Also glad to see that season 2 of Johto is finally solicited. Now if they could stop being lame and include the Japanese option as well like pretty much literally any other anime DVD nowadays, so I could have the option to give that a try if I wanted to...)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
They went full filler at the end of Best Wishes, Unova, with Decolora Islands...

It was NOT good. Like, it literally was complete shit and in that situation Unova really should have been lengthened a bit since the Unova League was trash.

Boogiepop

They went full filler at the end of Best Wishes, Unova, with Decolora Islands...

It was NOT good. Like, it literally was complete shit and in that situation Unova really should have been lengthened a bit since the Unova League was trash.
Ah, did not know that. That's a shame, as at least in my mind the idea seems like it should work well, so I guess it's just an issue in terms of execution...

Mostly I just want to see the reserves come out to play more, I guess, which they definitely did in Battle Frontier.

Toxi

Banned

As someone who hasn't watched the show in many years but has absorbed plenty of discussion about it in Pokemon-related threads, everything I've heard about Best Wishes sounds like a trainwreck after everything I've heard about Sinnoh.

Basically "Let's take everything people liked about the last arc and do the opposite".

As someone who hasn't watched the show in many years but has absorbed plenty of discussion about it in Pokemon-related threads, everything I've heard about Best Wishes sounds like a trainwreck after everything I've heard about Sinnoh.

Basically "Let's take everything people liked about the last arc and do the opposite".

I haven't watched all of it, but I thought it was neat to see Ash rotate his team like Paul did.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I dunno, regardless of Gen shiny Vaporeon looks like a gum.

That should presumably be "kodomo", not "kodome", as kodomo is the word for child, unless I'm missing something. (A minor thing, admittedly, just caught my eye.)

Also, in regards to the anime, I may have said this already, but I really wish they'd go back to having things like the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier. You know, just like a full on filler season, to cut down on the amount each main region needs to be streeeeetched out. Plus it would let them play more with what in my mind is one of the coolest and most underutilized facets of the show: Ash having all those reserve Pokemon. (Not saying either season is perfect, but the ability to throw in some extra "gym battle" equivalents and maybe a big climactic battle ala the Orange League sounds better than the current status of just having more filler of the day episodes).

(Admittedly I haven't watched actively in forever though, so I'm definitely not a good judge on how the series is nowadays. In fact, I'm actually currently going sloooowly through the old stuff they're currently rereleasing in the US. About 25 or so episodes into Johto, just watched that one with the Slowpoke which was pretty fun. Also glad to see that season 2 of Johto is finally solicited. Now if they could stop being lame and include the Japanese option as well like pretty much literally any other anime DVD nowadays, so I could have the option to give that a try if I wanted to...)

Yeah my bad, I was thinking of Iris's shitty catchphrase (kodomo ne) :p

Anyway XY's pacing is pretty fast (Ash is getting his 8th badge soon, and apparently league is 2016, and flare too), but depending on how the new game is announced he might have another arc coming.

Azuran

Banned
With the exception of the regional birds I rarely use the animalistic pokemon so I'm SOL in that department lol, but lovers of the Waifumons must love Amie, shit is better than anything they could have dreamt of
KuGsj.gif

Damn you were missing out for so long. There's a reason Pokémon like Braixen and Florges were introduced this Gen. Expect more Pokewaifus in the future now!

These are some great reviews!

Like the OP, 4th gen was the first time I got swept up in Pokehype and pored over every bit of pre release info I could and it set the groundwork for how all 2 screen pokemon games would play so it will always have a special place in my heart even if DP themselves suffered from some severe technical problems and thus haven't aged too well (I suspect XY and ORAS will be blasted for their battle lag sometime down the road as well)

Is there an index that gathers together links of these past shuckle?

CazTGG

Next up: The good Sinnoh starter!

Well, good in terms of usage nowadays. Toterra's design is essentially "Venusaur but not ugly this time around", but outside of Earthquake and Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb, its movepool is pretty poor in terms of what can be used and its typing does not go well with its more defensive stats given its many type weaknesses. Infernape is a neat take-off of Son Wukong but it's completely outclassed by Blaziken thanks to Speed Boost (although in Diamond/Pearl it's either choosing it or Rapidash so...take your pick unless you decide to breed a Fire-Type for your playthrough to deal with that annoying Bronzong in the Elite 4. Iron Fist works alright but it's not as good as Speed Boost). Even with Steel-type taking a big hit this generation due to losing some resistances, Empoleon boasts a ton of them (and immunity to Poison) and only two weaknesses. Admittedly, one of them is a fairly common type but it has the bulk to be able to take a hit and hit back hard along with a great movepool that lets it take on quite a few roles beyond "another bulky Water Pokémon".

Also: Penguin Pokémon.

Origins was beautiful but otherwise trash. So many random shit in that show. They couldn't make up their minds if they wanted to be faithful to the games or pull random shit like the anime. Trash.

Zaventem

I hope they redo the color quality of some shinies. I used to think the poor color choices aka slightly darker or lighter shiny versions was due to the gameboy.

The best part of Amie was finding out that the Charmander line loves belly rubs. aaaaa

The humanoid pokemon is where it starts to turn creepy, yeah. Jynx in Amie is... Goddamn, Gamefreak. Nobody stopped that happening?

As for the Sinnoh starters, they're alright, I guess. They're not my favorites, but they're not really my least favorites either, probably because I just dislike the Sinnoh games. I like the Piplup and Turtwig lines more than the Chimchar line, though. Fire monkeys never tickled my fancy.

Azuran

Banned
Even with Steel-type taking a big hit this generation due to losing some resistances, Empoleon boasts a ton of them (and immunity to Poison) and only two weaknesses. Admittedly, one of them is a fairly common type but it has the bulk to be able to take a hit and hit back hard along with a great movepool that lets it take on quite a few roles beyond "another bulky Water Pokémon".

Also: Penguin Pokémon.

Three weaknesses actually: Fighting, Electric and Ground.

Daemul

The humanoid pokemon is where it starts to turn creepy, yeah. Jynx in Amie is... Goddamn, Gamefreak. Nobody stopped that happening?

Oh man Jynx, that one has the potential to be a real doozy, though surely she can't be that bad in amie....

rh4V2eK.jpg

This shit is not unintentional, GameFreak knew exactly what the fuck they were doing. I'm not even mad about it, this shit is just so fucking blatant that it's hilarious.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The best part of Amie was finding out that the Charmander line loves belly rubs. aaaaa

Mines love his head being rubbed, but Eevee is just so gosh darn adorable in Pokémon Amié.

Darmanitan is cool, a bit of a glass cannon, but jesus he packs a punch.

I remember when I used Darumaka as my Charizard substitute when I first played Pokémon White, he was slow, had a weak defense and Hustle was doing more harm than good.

I was close to dropping him for Litwick but I decided to evolve Darumaka as he was 2 levels away from evolving and my god Darmanitan just wreck shit up that I said sorry for doubting him. Plus Darmanitan's design was just fricking cool.

While I eventually restarted White and replaced Darmanitan for Charizard, as his role was fulfilled, I have a soft spot for him and will always like him.

Daemul

I remember when I used Darumaka as my Charizard substitute when I first played Pokémon White, he was slow, had a weak defense and Hustle was doing more harm than good.

I was close to dropping him for Litwick but I decided to evolve Darumaka as he was 2 levels away from evolving and my god Darmanitan just wreck shit up that I said sorry for doubting him. Plus Darmanitan's design was just fricking cool.

While I eventually restarted White and replaced Darmanitan for Charizard, as his role was fulfilled, I have a soft spot for him and will always like him.

Darmanitan's 140 base attack + Sheer Force = ROFLstomp, he was so damn strong. Many Gen V Pokemon were strong(Chandelure 145 base Special attack lol!) due to the glorious power creep, which was a consequence of GameFreak understanding more about what makes a "good" Pokemon. Previous gen Pokemon were outdated and would need mega's to compete, but once more Gen V Pokemon get mega's the gap will reappear again, their base forms are just plain better.

Mega Chandelure with 185 base special attack anyone?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Darmanitan's 140 base attack + Sheer Force = ROFLstomp, he was so damn strong. Many Gen V Pokemon were strong(Chandelure 145 base Special attack lol!) due to the glorious power creep, which was a consequence of GameFreak understanding more about what makes a "good" Pokemon. Previous gen Pokemon were outdated and would need mega's to compete, but once more Gen V Pokemon get mega's the gap will reappear again, their base forms are just plain better.

Mega Chandelure with 185 base special attack anyone?

I guessing that the power creep is only a thing in the meta game? As I hear it being talked about all the time but I never felt that my Charizard was struggling to keep up with his teammates across the generations.

Infernape is incredibly useful in DPPt. Turns into a Fightning type to crush Roark and it remains useful the entire game. I have no idea where Gamefreak was going with Emboar though.

Infernape was super popular so they though they would create another fire/fighting from the same mythology that Infernape was based on but failing to realise that people didn't want another Infernape.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

It's more or less the worst season of the show.

The only memorable thing at all in the entire last third of Unova is Meloetta joining the crew.

Azuran

Banned
I guessing that the power creep is only a thing in the meta game? As I hear it being talked about all the time but I never felt that my Charizard was struggling to keep up with his teammates across the generations.

Short answer: Stealth Rock

In all seriousness, Charizard has pretty mediocre stats aside from Special Attack and Speed which are decent. However, his typing is pretty bad for someone with bad defenses. It's not a bad Pokemon per say but it's outclassed by a lot of stuff that does the job better so there's little reason to use him. He's good in single player because you don't have to worry about getting hit since 100 base speed is awesome and will pretty much outspeed everything. Also if he does get it, you can easily use items to get him back to full health.

On the other hand, Mega Charizard X and Y are amazing in multiplayer so no one even bothers to use normal Charizard anymore.

Top Bottom