• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

1663.jpg

Macka

Thankfully, Unova gave us 156 mostly great designs.
I just checked again and nope, that doesn't seem right at all. :p

I don't know what it is about Gen V designs, but I only like about ten of them. I know that it's just me and not them actually being bad though.

It had Basculin and the kami trio.
And the fully-evolved starters, and the elemental monkeys, and the Swoobat line, and the Seismitoad line, and Audino, and the Conkeldurr line, and the Gothitelle line, and the Vanilluxe line, and Beartic, and the Ferrothorn line, and Darmanitan, and Cofragrigus, and Klinklang line and the Amoongus line, and and the Swords of Justice, and the box legendaries + Kyurem, and oh god that's only the actively bad ones that I can recall right now and most of the others are boring.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh, kami trio is the only one that I feel is "bad" because of the copy-paste looks barring their "tail" / beads, and Basculin because I feel it's a wasted potential.

GoldStarz

I like about half of Gen VI's Pokemon, and while that normally wouldn't be a problem since it'd still be around like ~50 of them, in this case it's more around ~30 of them. Meanwhile, I like pretty much all of the Gen V designs so yeah there's a problem there.

I like a couple of Mega designs, but most of the ones I like I honestly would've preferred as just actual evolutions to Megas tbh. I think of the ones I do like, there's only 7 of them that actually HAVE to be Megas.

GoldStarz

I just checked again and nope, that doesn't seem right at all. :p

I don't know what it is about Gen V designs, but I only like about ten of them. I know that it's just me and not them actually being bad though.

And the fully-evolved starters, and the elemental monkeys, and the Swoobat line, and the Seismitoad line, and Audino, and the Conkeldurr line, and the Gothitelle line, and the Vanilluxe line, and Beartic, and the Ferrothorn line, and Darmanitan, and Cofragrigus, and Klinklang line and the Amoongus line, and and the Swords of Justice, and the box legendaries + Kyurem, and oh god that's only the actively bad ones that I can recall right now and most of the others are boring.

What's wrong with... pretty much all of those actually. 0_0

Like I get Samurott and the monkey and maybe Klang, but all the rest are pretty solid.

edit: darn it, i accidentally double posted.

let's not forget that gen v has the worst designed 'themed' monsters in the series history, and they'll always remain that way, because nothing could possibly ever be worse

legendary_musketeers_by_mcsaurus-d4sxjhs.jpg

look at these stupid fucking bastards

i can't wait for this thread to reach terrakion and cobalion

i love gen v but those monsters are just like what the FUCK, this is why you don't have interns design your goddamn monsters Sugi

we got a tauros clone lookin like it was ripped straight from a bad anime, a piece of shit green thing that can't decide if it wants to be a shark, a deer, or a goddamn Medabot, and a human-legged horse with fucking baguettes for eyebrows wearing steel-toed uggs

and keldeo is just goddamn lame

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
let's not forget that gen v has the worst designed 'themed' monsters in the series history, and they'll always remain that way, because nothing could possibly ever be worse

300px-Swords_of_Justice.png

i love gen v but those monsters are just like what the FUCK, this is why you don't have interns design your goddamn monsters Sugi

I actually sort of like their designs, but the game makes such a small deal of them existing that I forget about them

GoldStarz

legendary_musketeers_by_mcsaurus-d4sxjhs.jpg

I rather like the Swords of Justice, they're a pretty cool idea to put the Three Musketeers into Pokemon form while still keeping their personalities within their designs.

edit: Why did you change the art from official art to MS Paint redraws of official art?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I actually don't see the problem with the Swords of Justice, weird feet aside.

Also I love all of Gen VI mons and it has the best pokemon design period - Tyrantrum.

Azuran

Banned

http://orig02.deviantart.net/8e86/f/2012/075/a/2/legendary_musketeers_by_mcsaurus-d4sxjhs.jpg

we got a tauros clone lookin like it was ripped straight from a bad anime, a piece of shit green thing that can't decide if it wants to be a shark, a deer, or a medabot, and a human-legged horse with fucking baguettes for eyebrows

Nah Virizion is great. It's one of my favorite legendaries actually. Keldeo is cool too. Those two save the entire line for me.

The Pixies in Gen IV are the worst because they're unremarkable in all facets.

Also I love all of Gen VI mons and it has the best pokemon design period - Tyrantrum.

giphy.gif

all in all I love both Gen V and Gen VI's lineup. Particularly Gen VI because it managed to make most of it's mons feel just a little bit more naturalistic (within reason), Gen V straddled the line between 'Monster' and 'Cute random-coolness-type anime cartoon character' a little too often, especially with all the Anime Face + Line Mouth going around. (don't you miss when Pokemon had facial features that weren't so often totally congruous with so many other monsters? cuz I do) Gen VI is probably my favorite set of new Pokemon since R/S/E, there are standouts abound. I'm still holding onto hope that X/Y sequels introduce yet more Gen 6 Pokemon into the fray and round out the number of new Pokemon this gen to something closer to the last few gens.

Nah Virizion is great. It's one of my favorite legendaries actually. Keldeo is cool too. Those two save the entire line for me.

I think the entire line could have been saved if they all didn't have the goofiest looking anime-ass human-like faces complete with giant eyes and line mouth.

If Keldeo were found in a Pokemon Gym, this would be it's leader

latest

or maybe mister 'I got outta bed today and fell down the stairs into a pile of incongruous design elements' Tidus

latest

like they were just throwing shit at the wall to see what would stick for Keldeo, and just couldn't come up with a design they liked, so they hired a crew of dumb monkeys, gave them a box of randomly shaped primary colored felt cutouts, and let them go to town

This is exactly what I'd say about Gen V. Although Castelia wasn't a pain to traverse - it just wasn't worth visiting again after the first time, because there was absolutely nothing to do there.

At least Lumiose had lots of cool shops and restaurants to visit.

Lumiose city is my least favorite location in the entire franchise because of that god damned camera. Please for the love of Arceus if gamefreak is going to do something like that again they put it in a console game.

On that note I'd love to see a sequel or spiritual sucessor to XD, maybe even put the gen 7 games or DP remakes on consoles as well. After all the NX is supposed to be a fusion of both.

I'll take 72 mostly great designs over 156 mostly duds any day. ;)

good thing the latter never happened.
we got the same quality 72 that we used to get for 100+

I'd put number of pokemon pretty low on the list of reasons gen 6 is a disappointment.

clear cut number 1 reason for me.
same game 120 mons would be great.

the thing is, you didn't even see most of them during the main game.
i think i finished playing with seeing like 40 new mons. (tbf, i stopped before the elite 4 since seeing all the old mons again and again bored me)

and i couldn't give a toss about mega evos, most of them you get late anyway and they are not real evos. i'd rather have a new line than 3 mega evos.
i guess for competitive players it's cool.

Thankfully, Unova gave us 156 mostly great designs.

Unova gave us about 40-50 great to good designs and then a bunch of filler.

Kalos just trimmed the filler.

Talk to everyone in the cave.

You need waterfall.

Turns out I skipped a step. I had to go to Granite cave and talk to Zinnia, after that Steven and the lady spawned in Meteor Falls and now I did the whole thing up to Rayquaza, but stopped because my battery was low.

Which is silly I need to do this, because I have a Shiny Rayquaza from an event a year ago that would probably be perfectly able to save the world lol

good thing the latter never happened.
we got the same quality 72 that we used to get for 100+

clear cut number 1 reason for me.
same game 120 mons would be great.

the thing is, you didn't even see most of them during the main game.
i think i finished playing with seeing like 40 new mons. (tbf, i stopped before the elite 4 since seeing all the old mons again and again bored me)

and i couldn't give a toss about mega evos, most of them you get late anyway and they are not real evos. i'd rather have a new line than 3 mega evos.
i guess for competitive players it's cool.

you gotta imagine how cool that game's pokemon lineup must have been to lapsed players, or people who haven't played all of the previous iterations of Pokemon. yeah, 70-something new Pokemon isn't a whole lot, but 400+ pokemon available in total plus all-encompassing variety of Pokemon types from early-game are incredible improvements, and gives everyone tons of Pokemon they might like to work with.

you gotta imagine how cool that game's pokemon lineup must have been to lapsed players, or people who haven't played all of the previous iterations of Pokemon. yeah, 70-something new Pokemon isn't a whole lot, but 400+ pokemon available in total plus all-encompassing variety of Pokemon types from early-game are incredible improvements, and gives everyone tons of Pokemon they might like to work with.

For me, I got kind of a bonus with Gen VI, because I checked out completely for Gen V, because I didn't like White at all and stopped playing half way. So there were quite a lot of Pokemon I never met, that I now got to meet. Like Litwick, Amoongus, Meinfoo, Golurk and Bisharp.

So for me, a lot of Gen V Pokemon were brand new in Gen VI, and I got to appreciate them a lot more.

And then playing Black 2 late last year cemented a ton of them as my favorites. Like Chandelure, who I absolutely adore (so you can imagine how hyped I am for her to be in Pokken)

If someone skipped gen IV and V, or even III, and jumped into X/Y, it must have been overwhelming to see so many new Pokemon.

Eh, kami trio is the only one that I feel is "bad" because of the copy-paste looks barring their "tail" / beads, and Basculin because I feel it's a wasted potential.
Basculin is like a gen 2 throwback, A kinda neat and simple design that craves an evolution.

The kami trio, well if it was just one of them I'd be fine with it but nope, they clearly figured Sinnoh's lake spirits weren't quite samey enough so we got this trio and no amount of therian formes can shake that for me.
Mainly because Landorus is the only one that to me doesn't look like a hot mess.

I think the entire line could have been saved if they all didn't have the goofiest looking anime-ass human-like faces complete with giant eyes and line mouth.

If Keldeo were found in a Pokemon Gym, this would be it's leader

latest

Fuckin' Nooj, always makes me laugh, quite possibly the pinnacle of awful design.
Really dislike Keldeo and the other chaps are pretty weak I'd agree with on exception....

Virizion is rather fabulous.

Personally speaking, I'd say that the average design in Gen VI is better than in Gen V, but the highs are higher in Gen V, and the larger amount of Pokémon means that I simply like more of them than I do Gen VI's.

Also, Gen V's Pokémon mean more because they're all that I saw while going through the quest, which was a truly brilliant design decision that they should strive for with every new set of games.

Grexeno

Personally speaking, I'd say that the average design in Gen VI is better than in Gen V, but the highs are higher in Gen V, and the larger amount of Pokémon means that I simply like more of them than I do Gen VI's.

Also, Gen V's Pokémon mean more because they're all that I saw while going through the quest, which was a truly brilliant design decision that they should strive for with every new set of games.
I have no idea what line in Gen V is better than te Greninja line. Or the Pancham line. Or Tyrantrum. Or Noivern.

Kinsei

Banned
I have no idea what line in Gen V is better than te Greninja line. Or the Pancham line. Or Tyrantrum. Or Noivern.

The Excadrill, Venipede, Krookodile, Jellicent, Galvantula, Chandelure, Eelektross, Volcarona and Braviary lines are better than everything on your list except the Tyrantrum and Noivern lines IMO.

The Galvantula, Chandelure, and Volcarona lines are better than the Tyrantrum and Noivern lines IMO.

You missed the word "personally", I guess.

Personally, although I like those lines, I'd put the Scraggy line, the Excadrill line, the Sewaddle line, the Reuniclus line, the Klink line, the Litwick line, the Axew line and Dwebble ahead of any of them, outside of possibly Greninja.

Macka

Braviary and Krookodile are the best of Gen V for me, but neither come close to the likes of Greninja, Pangoro or Noivern, otherwise known at the Kalos Trifecta of Awesome. Those three have quickly become all-time favourites.

Braviary is probably on par with the likes of Tyrantrum, Hawlucha, Talonflame, Malamar, Trevenant and Aegislash though.

Azuran

Banned

No, that was the worst part about Black and White and GF probably realized the same considering they filled the sequels and XY with a large amount of older Pokemon.

New Pokemon are supposed to compliment the old ones not completely replace them. I hope Z or whatever comes out gives us a 500+ Pokemon regional dex. A larger dex means AI trainer also have a larger selection of Pokemon to use. Old games get tiring quickly since everyone has the same 2 or 3 Pokemon.

Krookodile is a downgrade from Krokorok, visually. Krokorok is an awesome Pokemon.

Penis nose ruins it

Agreed though I got over my disappointment here thanks to the X/Y model of Krook being less...penisy.

But yes Krokorok is rad, a bit of a disappointing finish to the line (random colour change always irked me a bit as well).

Xux

Yeah, Krookodile! I used one of those things!

Oh, wait, that's a ways off.

Anyway, Gen V Pokemon are pretty cool. Dozens of neat new Pokemon and TMs becoming usable make it definitely a top six generation.

Ezalc

No, that was the worst part about Black and White and GF probably realized the same considering they filled the sequels and XY with a large amount of older Pokemon.

New Pokemon are supposed to compliment the old ones not completely replace them. I hope Z or whatever comes out gives us a 500+ Pokemon regional dex. A larger dex means AI trainer also have a larger selection of Pokemon to use. Old games get tiring quickly since everyone has the same 2 or 3 Pokemon.

No they aren't, not in the new region. The new pokemon in the new region should be the emphasis, the old ones should serve as a support if there is a particular type that has a lesser amount, but in no way should the old pokemon take center stage otherwise we just get something like Johto again where the new pokemon are completely overshadowed by returning favorites.

Having only new pokemon be available to people in B/W was great, it stopped people from not giving any of the new ones a fair chance and sticking to their old favorites. But people bitched and then in gen 6 we got the shit show with little new pokemon and a gen1 dick ride through France. The correct thing to do is a mix, with mostly new pokemon and very little old ones available initially just to supplement them.

Having all new Pokemon didn't give me a chance to give them a fair shake because it just made me not play the game.

Gen III did it alright. Very few old Pokemon, but enough that it still worked and the player wasn't necessarily forced to adapt to all new Pokemon if they didn't want to. Black 2/White 2 did it right as well, actually I think that game did it better than Gen III.

Generation 5 mons are an acquired taste IMO. Most of them I wasn't too impressed by their designs but I changed my mind after using them on my teams, some examples are Lilligant, Scrafty, Darmanitan, Excadrill, Galvantula, Haxorus, and Sawk.

Although I wonder why the gen IV review section seems to be about the following generation moreso.

Macka

Having only new pokemon be available to people in B/W was great, it stopped people from not giving any of the new ones a fair chance and sticking to their old favorites.
I don't mind the idea on paper, but in practice it resulted in an incredible amount of filler. Did we really need Swanna? Or another dream-eating tapir? Did the route 1 bird and rodent really need to be based on a rat and pidgeon again? If you're going to finally have a generation with no Zubats and Geodudes in the caves, why the hell do you make another bat and trade-evolution rock monster to fill exactly the same roles? Why do you get rid of Chansey and make another very similar replacement? Couldn't they have mixed it up a little? Gen V was at least 70% just new takes on old designs, and felt devoid of original ideas for the most part.

Ezalc

I don't mind the idea on paper, but in practice it resulted in an incredible amount of filler. Did we really need Swanna? Or another dream-eating tapir? Did the route 1 bird and rodent really need to be based on a rat and pidgeon again? If you're going to finally have a generation with no Zubats and Geodudes in the caves, why the hell do you make another bat and trade-evolution rock monster to fill exactly the same roles? Why do you get rid of Chansey and make another very similar replacement? Couldn't they have mixed it up a little? Gen V was at least 70% just new takes on old designs, and felt devoid of original ideas for the most part.

I never said the execution was perfect, but it's much better to have a lot of new pokemon than having so many old ones taking the focus away from the new ones. I agree that having basically new takes on old designs isn't the way to go, but at least the game actually forced people to use new pokemon instead of being resistant to change. It also counts in that not all pokemon from gen V are so devoid of originality. Also, this is only one nitpick but a meerkat is a rat? They're all rodents anyway, they're always similar. The bird I agree though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Probably because we've already covered so much of Gen IV

That and we've actually been speaking about gen v the whole time.

During gen 1 it came up because of how the 156 brand new pokémon with no retreads in the main game is just like how it began, and how many of the gen V pokémon are reversions of gen 1 pokémon.

During gen 2 it came up a bit less, mainly about how its the reverse of gen v in that a lot of the new Pokémon are post game while in B/W its the old Pokémon that are post game.

It barely came up during Hoenn because they aren't really related. Besides stuff like complaining about bug types and maractus/luvdisc.

Xux

Hey, Goodra's pretty cool! Seems to wreck shit and stuff.

Can't wait to see Ash use it in the Pokemon Lea-Oh.

Well, pulling the same trick for the sequels wouldn't have made a lot of sense in terms of variety, and X and Y simply have far few Pokémon to pull it off- to the game's detriment, in my opinion.

New Pokemon are supposed to compliment the old ones not completely replace them.

The first time I'm introduced to a new generation of Pokémon, I want them to be the focus, not an afterthought like they often were in X and Y. I want to see a variety of new Pokémon and learn their quirks and foibles, not just to be handed a Snorlax and a Lapras AGAIN.

Sure, pack the remakes and the third version with classic Pokémon all you want, but for the start of a new Gen I will always prefer a broad new lineup of Pokémon to use. This is a HUGE reason for Black and White being my peak of the series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually despite their being fewer of them than normal I thought Kalos did a great job distributing the new Pokémon evenly across all routes.

Top Bottom