• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I literally always forget that Drapion isn't Bug and can never remember what the thing is weak to.

Became a big problem in the E4.

WarAdept

Drapion still confuses the shit out of me.

It looks like a bug? But I can't burn it?
Earthquake works? Wtf? Don't bugs resists it?
It's purple so it's poisonous? But it's immune to Psychic?

I think it's cool though. Would love to use it one day.

I was so disappointed when my Skorupi evolved into Drapion. I was expecting some giant awesome looking scorpion that could have been poison/steel type, but alas that never happened. Drapion is so ugly.

How cool would a steel plated scorpion be? I want a Poison/Steel scorpion. Make it a split evolution from Skorupi so my little buddy can get the evo it deserves.

That sounds like a Blast-Ended Skrewt pokemon. Yeah, Drapion is ugly.

SkyOdin

I literally always forget that Drapion isn't Bug and can never remember what the thing is weak to.

Became a big problem in the E4.
Yeah, I had that problem too. It took me forever to figure out that I needed to use ground type attacks against the thing, and in the meantime that Drapion was murdering my team over and over again. Didn't help that my main Ground-type pokemon was also a Grass-type.

The gym leaders and Elite Four in Diamond/Pearl were really good at catching an unprepared player unawares.

tumblr_o2enujaPfA1rd4ymxo3_500.gif

SkorupiStormfront73.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly feel indifferent about Skorupi line. Hell I think they're kinda meh. I was expecting a bit better for a scorpion/arachnid. It's the arms, they look like jester ears than actual grips.

I can totally understand Hippowdon having that pose in Pokemon Amie, but it makes much less sense when Hippowdon's in a battle and making a sandstorm.

ehh, too much reliant on ability, would especially look weird if it's a hacked hippo with a different ability

Also, if we're talking "default stances", they changed Eelektross's default stance... Even though the Pokemon stood that way in the anime.

604.gif

eelektross.gif

Gamefreak logic at its finest.

new one is better though, and incorporates the eel/lampray motif

Drapion still confuses the shit out of me.

It looks like a bug? But I can't burn it?
Earthquake works? Wtf? Don't bugs resists it?
It's purple so it's poisonous? But it's immune to Psychic?

I think it's cool though. Would love to use it one day.

Usually, using a Pokemon on an in-game team lets me internalize its type.

Not so with Drapion, unfortunately. Still get confused when flamethrower isn't super-effective against it.

---

Design-wise, it's a big freaky bendy scorpion-thing; definitely an interesting take. Not my favorite, but I like it alright. I would like to see a more traditional scorpion from the hypothetical/inevitable Gen 7, though.

Crayolan

Skorupi is pretty meh, but Drapion is kind of cool. I just wish it dropped the poison type instead of the bug type, it would be nice to finally have a Bug/Dark type and it feels like it was originally supposed to be that way what with being on Aaron's team and all.

I'm just going to say the next Pokemon is probably my favorite Gen IV Pokemon. And was MVP on my Diamond team.

Snickering her way to victory.

Well, Poison/Dark is a lot better typing than Poison/Bug. The lack of a unique typing (for Gen 4) can be overlooked here.

I'm not a huge fan of Pokemon that "hide" their typing. Drapion seems to be one of those Pokemon designed to waste one turn of using a Psychic move, before you wonder what the heck type it is and search on Bulbapedia.

Gen V has quite a lot of those as well, but they seemed to have toned it down lately, although some of the megas aren't really obvious what type they are.

WPS

I've just realised it's Drapion's arms and tail are identical, just like Yveltal. That's pretty cool.

I used to really like Skorupi, though I can't remember why. It is pretty adorable, possibly the second cutest bug type?

I've just realised it's Drapion's arms and tail are identical, just like Yveltal. That's pretty cool.

I used to really like Skorupi, though I can't remember why. It is pretty adorable, possibly the second cutest bug type?

I didn't read the word "second" originally and was going to fire off Joltik, but I see it was my mistake.

What Birdie failed to mention about the woe of the great marsh is how the most common pokemon you encounter there are all over Sinnoh anyway, you cannot escape Bibarel!
That and the rare pokemon were determined by daily luck, man the great marsh was horrid.

Drapion is simultaneosuly a memorable Gen 4 pokemon yet strangely forgettable in the grand scheme of things, I feel as if it doesn't show up enough to cement itself.
I do dig how the arms and stinger are effectively all the same thing, they should've made it capable of alternating "arms" for creepy movement.

I'm just going to say the next Pokemon is probably my favorite Gen IV Pokemon. And was MVP on my Diamond team.

Snickering her way to victory.

I'm not a huge fan of Pokemon that "hide" their typing. Drapion seems to be one of those Pokemon designed to waste one turn of using a Psychic move, before you wonder what the heck type it is and search on Bulbapedia.

Gen V has quite a lot of those as well, but they seemed to have toned it down lately, although some of the megas aren't really obvious what type they are.

I played Gen V in Japanese at first.

I could not for the life of me figure out what the Golurk line was supposed to be.

Rutger

Banned
Aw, I've been so focused on Fire Emblem that I've ignored this thread and missed Garchomp and Lucario. D:

Though I don't have too much to say, Garchomp is unquestionably the best pseudo legendary, and while Lucario is not near the top of my list of favorites, it's still cool and it's easy to see why it's so popular.

Trey

Lucario is an all time great. I always used to grind her up in my dppt playthroughs. She can walk through the whole league single handedly. Great offense, and can take a hit. The Egyptian design base is really inspired, although I too think the random paw spikes are corny.

Mlucario is basically GF going "fuck it, might as well go all in with the power creep".

Speaking of power creep, is Sunkern still the weakest 'Mon stats wise or has it been surpassed. I got wonder traded a Sunkern the other day with zero IVs in everything but HP, which makes me think that someone is deliberately trying to breed the very weakest Pokémon possible for... some reason.

Does power trick do the same thing as trick room or something?

Pachimari

I just learned about Deoxys today. Had never seen or heard about it. It's an alien Pokemon? How cool is that!

Are Zygarde and Magiana regarded as #722 and #723?

Back in the old days, Normal used to hold Dragons as well, and Grass was where Poison Pokemon were.

It still throws me off when I watch my brother play a Pokemon like Weezing and it's Psychic type...

My Weezing card is Grass type.

Dark is called "Darkness" and Steel is called "Metal" in the TCG for whatever reason. Normal is also "Colorless." The rest of the types use their proper game names.

Edit: Forgot Lightning. Electric is Lightning.

Doesn't the TCG also have different names for some of the types like Lightning and Metal? I always thought Metal made more sense anyway.

Edit: Didn't see the above post lol

Toxi

Banned
The TCG is weird like that.

Normal: Normal & Flying
Water: Water & Ice
Fire: Fire
Electric: Electric
Grass: Grass & Bug
Psychic: Psychic, Poison, & Ghost
Fighting: Fighting, Rock, & Ground
Dark: Dark
Steel: Steel
Dragon: Dragon
Fairy: Fairy
The switch to Psychic for Poison type Pokemon bugs me. Poison actually fits with Grass and Bug because there are so many Grass/Poison and Bug/Poison Pokemon, while the Gastly line are the only Psychic or Ghost Pokemon that are also Poison type. It also fits thematically putting Poison in the same type as common poisonous organisms.

As far as I can tell, the only reason they made that change was because "Poison is purple!"

Grexeno

I've had a realization: even though I think Gen 5 doesn't have any standout interesting Pokemon, I'm still finishing up a 4th playthrough and might just start a 5th right after because so many Pokemon are at least somewhat interesting.

Something I've been wondering about with a theoretical Mega Drapion is what the stat spread would look like. It's a well-rounded Pokémon.

Maybe just Attack/Sp.Def/Speed boosts? Its Defense is fine.

Bug/poison, while a common type, actually wasn't used at all in Gen 4. I'm not even sure there's a Pokemon in the regional dex.
Dustox.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yo Birdie, what you gonna do when Sun and Moon roll around?

Don't know.

I don't wanna start reviewing them deeply right away without getting to know them through the games and the show first, but maybe after a year or so I'll do a thread like this for them. I'll try and share my thoughts on the new ones when they pop up though in this thread perhaps.

Top Bottom