• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Gen V has the coolest looking Grass starter.

CcJnQIWUYAAcjQp.png:large
Gen V's starters look like shit.

Still remember the absolute mayhem when they were first leaked. The tears were delicious.

gardfish

I think both Shaymin forms are cute, but yeah, the annoyingly specific way the Sky form works is obnoxious. Really hope Game Freak fixes that in Gen 7.

I'm excited for the Gen 5 discussions, they should be interesting. Unova has the highest proportion of my personal favorite Pokemon, but it also has the highest proportion of filler 'mons and Pokemon I straight-up dislike (not many, but they're there). Like those goddamn monkeys. Why does EVERYONE in the region use those goddamn monkeys?

ST2K

I like Gen V quite a bit. I don't follow the Pokemon fandom too intently, so it surprises me that it seems to be so polarizing.

Personally, I don't think any generation is significantly worse than any other though, so it could be me.
except gen 4 holy crap that gen sucked

Berordn

I like Gen V quite a bit. I don't follow the Pokemon fandom too intently, so it surprises me that it seems to be so polarizing.

Personally, I don't think any generation is significantly worse than any other though, so it could be me.
except gen 4 holy crap that gen sucked

Gen IV at least redeemed itself with Platinum being everything DPPt wanted to be, and HG/SS were also great with the number of additions they were willing to make.

But it's hard to beat Gen V which came out guns blazing and finished strong with Version 2.

Samurott, much like Feraligatr in the past, ensures the starters are not a complete waste of cartridge data.

My little lady samurai wrecked through Black 2.

The entire line should have been seals or sea lions and just skipped the otter theme.

Skymin is pretty strong. It has the same 60% air slash flinch Togekiss is infamous for with high speed to boot.

Then there's seed flare which IMO is probably among the best signature moves out there. 120 BP special grass move that has a decent chance of dropping sp,def by 2. And it learns earth power to hit those fire, steel and poison types where it hurts.

Gen 5 starters were a mistake.

Emboar is trash, should've been a Twilight Princess Ganon boar and absolutely not fire/fighting

Serperior looks cool enough but has a crap movepool and only becomes good with a hidden ability that was released way later

Samurott..... lot a potential, great design, unfortunately nothing else stands out. Plain water, standard movepool(megahorn the only cool thing), meh stat distribution

Snivy is a cool Pokemon (I'll forever call it Smugleaf) who evolves into an ugly messy design with too many little details. And weird little leafy hands that are barely noticeable.

Emboar is the Fire/Fighting straw that broke the Camerupt's back. That he was yet another journey to the west starter after just having one on top of that, in a generation that already has problems with being accused of just making knock offs from previous gens, spells disaster. Even though there's nothing terribly wrong with the design, although I dislike the belt even if I get he's supposed to be a wrestler or whatever.

Oshawott and Samurott are cool Pokemon on their own, but seem barely related at all, they should have either picked otters or sea lions, not just randomly make the final stage a sea lion after two otters. Not a huge fan of Oshawott basically having Piplup's silhouette.

Azuran

Banned
The next month or two in this thread should be lots of fun. Gen V is the true main event.

While I didn't like some of the design and gameplay choices that made in BW, I love the majority of the Pokémon introduced in it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds - Masuda on the creation of Black and White

Introduction to Generation V

It's been a long time coming but it's finally here---Generation V! Next to Generation I this is going to be the longest segment with a whopping 156 brand-new Pokemon, all of them completely unrelated to past Pokemon and thus we've yet to cover a single one of them in a previous entry, though on the other hand we don't have to worry about any Cross-Generation Evolutions or Baby Pokemon and currently only have one Mega Evolution to discuss so, in all fairness, it's not gonna be too bad. I'm very excited about covering Generation V because I still feel despite it being about half-a-decade old now many of the Pokemon still very foreign and unique compared to everything that came before and after---the fact the games and the anime virtually kept them separate from the classic Pokemon for the first year or so definitely adds to this feeling in addition to very few of them playing a major role in Generation VI and thus I feel many people have taken them for granted, not really taking the time to digest them and consider what they brought to the franchise. Needless to say Black and White lives up to its name as a very polarizing set of games, the Pokemon themselves especially, so I won't pretend that things won't get ugly---tears are going to be shed, feelings are going to get hurt, and we may lose a few folks before we're all said and done. But there's no denying Generation V was a major turning point for the franchise and thus I hope you enjoy this next month or two of write-ups. And after that, well, for the time being we're in the home stretch believe it or not!

Regardless of how people feel about Generation V now there's no denying there was a lot of hype for it as well as uncertainty. As I said before Generation IV was very good in my opinion with stellar entries all across the board from Platinum to Heart Gold to Mystery Dungeon and even to Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, but it was also rather exhausting and in many fans' opinion may have stayed out its welcome. This was especially obvious if you followed the show like I did which, while a great season, nevertheless had an absolute boatload of episodes between Ash's 7th and 7th Gym that made folks wonder if Generation IV would ever come to an end. It didn't help that people were still quite spooked over Arceus and it signaling the end of the franchise, and I recall a lot of folks thinking the Arceus movie would finally give us a New Pokemon---after all there had always been a New Pokemon debuting alongside the last Event Pokemon of the previous Generations---only to be let down when a "Mystery Pokemon" that was hyped up turned out to be fucking Notched Ear Pichu. Thankfully many fans forgot their anger when the Johto Starters were also revealed to cameo in the film signifying that the long-awaited Johto remakes were finally on the horizon, and many fans may have thought that Pokemon had basically hit its peak at that point, but we as Pokemon fans are very greedy and we cannot survive too long without the sweet, sweet appeal of New Pokemon.

Near the end of 2009 it seemed the New Generation was finally gearing up to be revealed when we learned that the next Pokemon film would focus on Celebi but also teased itself as "Phantom Ruler Z" which many fans quickly theorized was a codename for a brand new Pokemon---this of course happened way back in Generation I where promotional material for the Lugia film first referenced it as "Mythical Pokemon X". Not too long after at the beginning of 2010 it was announced that new mainline Pokemon games would be coming to the DS by the end of the year in Japan and a few days later the first Generation V Pokemon, Zorua and Zoroark, which fans quickly dubbed the "new Lucario", were revealed. This was pretty exciting and it seemed Game Freak had learned their lesson from stretching out the pre-release period of Generation IV and wanted to have a shorter period this time, and I think that was a good idea on their part because despite a shorter wait time between reveal and release the hype for Generation V was relatively off the charts. It also led to a lot of speculation due to the fact that this time around the next Generation would be on the same system as the previous Generation---something that hadn't happened since Gold and Silver technically being on the same system as Generation I---and what that'd mean graphically, with some fans thinking Game Freak would play it safe with sprites while others believed they'd actually put the DS' 3D capabilities to greater use like they had demonstrated was possible in Platinum and Heart Gold and Soul Silver. There was also the question how the recent upgrade, the Nintendo DSi, would play into things and if Generation V would take advantage of the system specs.

Though we had two Pokemon revealed otherwise the hype for Generation V was still pretty quiet as we knew next to nothing till we finally got our titles in April---Pokemon Black and White. While some fans joked that "Game Freak had run out of colors!", most folks were pretty excited about the titles because not only did they sound cool, the return to basic colors (though I guess black and white technically aren't colors) after more elaborate gems invoked a very classic feeling and thus many fans believed that this game would be a return to what made Pokemon great without the filler that had begun to creep in since Generation III. Either way, hype was at its peak and then a few days later CoroCoro revealed the first ever screens of Pokemon Black and White and, to be honest, fans were rather underwhelmed. Those looking forward to a graphical leap were disappointed as the game didn't look all that pretty though it did advertise having more 3D effects, with many fans saying that Heart Gold and Soul Silver looked superior to it, and the lack of Pokemon following the player also angered a lot of fans who loved that feature---and in retrospect, its absence in Generation V is pretty odd considering all the following sprites from HGSS are actually in the game and used in the Dream World section. It also didn't help that, as usual, the coverage mainly focused on the early areas though the new skyscraper-dotted city looked rather neat---but oh, if we only knew. The one saving grace though was that the battle scene, showing more dynamic backgrounds in addition to full-body sprites for the player's Pokemon, looked rather neat and soon after footage revealed that every Pokemon would now be fully animated proving that Game Freak weren't totally skipping out when it came to graphical improvements.

Despite a somewhat lackluster reveal though Black and White quickly picked up steam when soon after the Starters were revealed---while at first reactions were "what?" it wasn't long before the majority of fans grew to love them (oh, if only they knew!) and right after that came the mascots of Black and White Reshiram and Zekrom, seen as a "return to form" somewhat after the mecha-looking Dialga and Palkia, and a host of rather neat little Pokemon such as Blitzle, Darmanitan, and Klink---well, maybe not Klink in most fans' opinion. In addition we soon learned of various neat little elements such as N, Team Plasma, INFINITE TMs MOTHERFUCKER, Unova being the Pokemon World version of America, and finally the bombshell---the game would feature only New Pokemon! People freaked the fuck out, especially since a few New Pokemon were currently speculated to be related to old ones---fans knew though that Generation V was likely going to follow Generation III in being self-contained, but this was a whole new ballgame. Game Freak I recall did make it clear that this wasn't a total retool though---the initial announcement specified "before the Elite Four" and we knew the games would be backwards compatible with Generation IV since there were Shiny Legendary Beasts given out in HGSS that could be transfered over---but otherwise many fans were eager to see how such a risky move would turn out as not since Generation I had a Region been exclusively populated by New Pokemon.

Then there were the leaks around release---first "Wottergate" revealing all the Starter evolutions and finally the dam completely broke as Spanish site Pokexperto, run by famed "NO ES FAKE" fandom member Hiro, one-by-one leaked descriptions and a few pictures of all 150 New Pokemon---oh, did I say 150? Make that 156! Yes, Black and White was going to have 156 completely New Pokemon to play around with and when they were finally confirmed, fans found themselves intimidated with such a large batch of Pokemon to remember. Needless to say reaction to this was extremely mixed and, yes, "black and white"---you either loved the idea of 156 New Pokemon, or found it an annoying gimmick that forced players into using Pokemon who were commonly seen as poor replacements of the originals or flat-out terrible. Yeah, Generation V is pretty odd as it's basically Generation III on crack: you have a lot of Pokemon who are obviously meant to serve as counterparts to classic Pokemon, few of them seen as better than the originals (though I'll argue that in some cases), and then you have some of the downright oddest and uniquest, and not always in a good way, Pokemon to have ever hit the franchise. On the other hand, I feel Generation V somewhat does play things safe and perhaps in a good way---because it's supposed to be a solid set of Pokemon it's set up more like Generation I with the majority of Pokemon being part of three-stage families, as well as many of them evolving through classic methods such as Link Evolution and Evolution Stones, and rather few gimmicks all things considered---and those who do have gimmicks are mostly visual as opposed to mechanical. In a way I'm sort of disappointed Generation V didn't have more fun with branched evolutions and crazy gimmicks since they had so much room to mess around with, but if you're gonna sell a game featuring exclusively new Pokemon playing it somewhat safe is probably a good idea.

I'm pro-new Pokemon myself, I have a lot of issues with Black and White but as someone who loves to use the new Pokemon in playthroughs Black and White was an absolute dream as there was so much variety and even after playing through Unova three times there's still a large amount of Unova Pokemon I've never properly explored and I really need to get around to trying out the rest because the majority of them thankfully happen to be pretty useful overall, or at the very least salvageable for the main game. Many, many Unova Pokemon I also fairly enjoy and quickly became my favorites and having so many new ones to digest made that year pretty awesome---though to be honest I have a soft spot for Black and White because my life in general was arguably at its best before going horribly, horribly, horribly wrong so I have a fair amount of nostalgia for the games. As I said though Black and White does bug me quite a bit for a variety of reasons---the focus on plot is pretty neat and the climax is great, but the game feels painfully linear and there's so many routes where you seem to be bombarded by countless trainers, rivals, and Team Plasma members that you never really get a chance to breathe. It also bothers me that many mainstays of the franchise---Cycling Road, the Safari Zone, the Game Corner (though blame PEGI) are completely gone and there's really nothing decent in terms of side-quests, excluding some okay post-game areas, excluding the Battle Subway and Pokemon Musicals which are just embarrassing and it still makes me mad they completely ditched Contests. I also really don't like how Unova is, the region itself feels like a "theme park"---compare the map of Sinnoh to the map of Unova and the former feels lived-in while the latter is just a bunch of random locales placed haphazardly without any rhyme or reason. It doesn't surprise me this would be the case since the majority of Game Freak are Japanese and thus have deeper understanding of a Japanese region as opposed to an American location, if I made a region based on Japan it'd probably come out "theme parky" as well, but it really, really bugs me.

Black 2 and White 2 fixed these issues somewhat---it felt slightly less linear and they tamed down the trainer bombardment---though to be honest I felt that game was a bit overwhelming due to having too much stuff to do, and I really never got around to it after clearing the Elite Four. I think the main issue is otherwise it's basically Black and White with a different beginning and end, and after having played through both Black and White a third Unova game grew thin pretty fast. Actually, while I do think Generation V served as a reinvigoration for Pokemon's popularity globally---it seemed like it became a part of regular pop-culture after fading out in Generation III and IV---it felt oddly short and fleeting with only two main games and like two rather forgettable spin-offs in PokePark 2, Gates to Infinity, and the cheap Rumble games. And we're not going to even talk about Best Wishes! It just feels odd that the Generation seemed to be quickly pushed aside for Generation VI though I get that at that point the DS was quickly growing obsolete and Game Freak wanted to jump ship to 3D finally---now though perhaps Generation V turned out to be not so short after all considering that Generation VI seems to be getting shoved aside for what very well may be Generation VII though the jury is still out on that in most folks' minds.

Well, let's get talking about Generation V starting with---a Legendary Pokemon?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And speed.

I can't play gen IV games because of the atrocious speed they have.

Also you will why PC and Item stores are important together. Fucking ORAS removed that.

Boss Doggie

Yeah. Hell even with Gen VI's framedrops, it's still massively faster than any pre-Gen V game that featured animation.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Now they just need to remove HMs.

Black and White basically did that, you never actually had to use HMs during the main scenario except by choice for extra items---for example you never have to Surf.

Then Black 2 and White 2 ended up going back on that right at Victory Road.

Busaiku

Yup, the older games are basically unplayable for me.
I'll do it this year, but probablyobaby never again.
The 5th gen starters' base form were just ewww. Their final evolutions were great though.
Complete opposite for me
Oswhawott and Snivy are like the greatest things, Tepig's ok too.
Dewott is also amazing, Servine is a bit too similar, Pignite is eh.
Samurott shouldn't be quadrapedal, Serperior is still to similar, and Emboar is hideous.

1st forms are easily the best for me, 2nd forms are ok, 3rd are worst.

Boss Doggie

The only way you'll make me play pre-Gen V games is to pay me, and even then you'll provide me with the game.

Vestal

Gold Member
Hey Pokémon Gaf!

My 7 year old daughter just started getting into Pokémon and well I want to get her one of the games. I personally have never played Pokémon(I KNOW RIGHT?!?!), so would like some guidance as to which game would best suit her to begin her Pokémon adventure. She currently has a New 3DS.

Thanks!

WarAdept

yeah and the save times, i was losing it when i first saved in X and Y

It's such a small thing but holy shit Gen VI saves absurdly fast. Even Gen V struggled with saving sometimes, giving you the progress bar with the message "Saving a lot of data..." if you did too much between saves.

Not Gen VI. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SAVE? (press A) SAVE COMPLETE!

Calm down Gen VI.

Okay, now I know which pokemon are from which generation now.

Out of this one I like:

Victini
Deewot
Simipour
Patrat
Munna
Musharna
Drillbur
Audino
Whirlipede
Liligant (because of the gif one of you posted, but I don't like her sprite in the game)
Sandile
Krokorok
Drebble
Crustle
Scraggy
Yamask
Zorua
Solosis
Elgyem
Litwick
Lampert
Chandelure
Axew
Cubchoo
Mienshao
Golurk
Bouffalant
Volcarona
Genesect
Emolga
Swanna
Deerling
Sawsbuck (especially winter form)

Wow, actually that's a lot. I thought I disliked most of them, but after going through gens III and IV I could see that most of the ones I disliked were from those gens.

Out of V I dislike:
Keldeo
The us trio
The dragon legendaries
The starters
the Three ion starters
Heatmor
Rufflet
Cryogonal
Haxorus
Beheeyem
Elektrik and Elektross
Ferrothorn
Escavalier
Goth line
Garbodor
Vullaby
Coffarigus
Druddigon

WarAdept

Hey Pokémon Gaf!

My 7 year old daughter just started getting into Pokémon and well I want to get her one of the games. I personally have never played Pokémon(I KNOW RIGHT?!?!), so would like some guidance as to which game would best suit her to begin her Pokémon adventure. She currently has a New 3DS.

Thanks!

X and Y is the best beginner entry currently. A sheer amount of variety of Pokemon she can play with in the adventure, with the ability to customise her avatar and the entry itself is tailor made towards learning the series mechanics and elements.

I do love the reusable TMs. The only downside is that I can't trash one if I decide to use a cheat because I don't want to wait post game to give my pokemon Dream Eater.

Top Bottom