• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Crayolan

The Pidove line is just terribly boring and ugly, the worst regional birds by a long shot for me. And being sandwiched in between Staraptor and Talonflame now just makes it look even worse.

Blitzle/Zebstrika is just...kinda bland imo. Then again I've never been much of a fan of the horse-like pokemon, I feel the same way about Rapidash, they're just kind of there. Zebstrika also serves as Elesa's ace, but it's not the pokemon which makes her so memorable.

I find this funny.

tumblr_mo7kh0oeEX1qd87hlo1_500.gif

tumblr_mdc8caq7M01rv6iido1_500.gif

v1perz53

Actually thinking back Joltik/Galvantula is probably partially a reason the zebras are meh as well, since Galvantula is pretty much a better electric pokemon in every way, between typing, coverage, move pool and ability. Hard to compete when you're just another one of those early game monotype electrics that have been around for the past several generations.

Ezalc

Don't know what's wrong with the Blitzzle line, I think it looks badass and I love rapidash too. Also don't get the complaints about the legs, aside from being a little bit skinnier, it's not like Rapidash's in that pic is drawn any more defined.

That said both of these need evolutions to turn into pegasus of their respective types. It'd be so legit. Zebragasus would be dope.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
sucks that we lack more physical electric attacks

also Zebra isn't the best electric type in Gen V anyway

Bladenic

Zebstrika is meh and Galvantula would have been a far better ace for Elesa, or Eelektross.

Speaking of gyms, I saw a video on YouTube talking about possible gyms (which is kinda dumb, since any types can be gyms lmao). But I pray to sweet Jesus that Gamefreak switches it up a bit. Where's our Grass E4 member? Electric E4? And please stop making Electric the 4th gym, Ice the 7th (or 8th), Rock first or second, or any other shit that they keep repeating. Make it new. Make it interesting. There are still enough types with no E4 member that they can have 4 Elites with new type representation.

CazTGG

And then the worst part of all of Best Wishes happened---Ash literally revealed that he had only brought one Pokemon with him thinking it would be able to sweep the entire Gym and actually had to run to the Pokemon Center to grab Snivy. Jesus christ...

Wow, the ego of that...however many years old Ash should be at this point. Confidence is one thing, but the guy hasn't won a league battle since the Orange Islands and, from what I understand, continues to lose to several Gym leaders (I haven't watched the show since Master Quest...I think, I saw glimpses of the Diamond/Pearl series around the time I went to high school which is how I know about the Chimchar storyline but that's what happens when your younger siblings have the TV to themselves in the morning).

Anyway, Pidove might as well be renamed Pidull because it is exceptionally bland. Blitzle is cute but not particularly useful, especially when every other Electric-type Pokémon in Black/White either does what they do better or serves a niche Zebstrika fails to do so, to say nothing of B2/W2 giving you Mareep right from the start.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Zebstrika is meh and Galvantula would have been a far better ace for Elesa, or Eelektross.

Speaking of gyms, I saw a video on YouTube talking about possible gyms (which is kinda dumb, since any types can be gyms lmao). But I pray to sweet Jesus that Gamefreak switches it up a bit. Where's our Grass E4 member? Electric E4? And please stop making Electric the 4th gym, Ice the 7th (or 8th), Rock first or second, or any other shit that they keep repeating. Make it new. Make it interesting. There are still enough types with no E4 member that they can have 4 Elites with new type representation.

Gen One:

Rock
Water
Electric
Grass
Poison
Psychic (I always do this one fifth though)
Fire
Ground

Gen Two:

Flying
Bug
Normal
Ghost
Fighting
Steel
Ice
Dragon

Gen Three:

Rock
Fighting
Electric
Fire
Normal
Flying
Psychic
Water

Gen Four:

Rock
Grass
Fighting (Ghost in Platinum)
Water (Fighting in Platinum)
Ghost (Water in Platinum)
Steel
Ice
Electric

Gen Five:

Fire/Grass/Water
Normal
Bug
Electric
Ground
Flying
Ice
Dragon

Normal
Poison
Bug
Electric
Ground
Flying
Dragon
Water

Gen Six:

Bug
Rock
Fighting
Grass
Electric
Fairy
Psychic
Ice

Not that many repeats if you think about it. Lack of a Dark gym is kind of noticeable though.

NEO0MJ

I rather like this line. I mean sure it was one of the first pokemon I caught that stuck with me until the end game but still, how can you not like an electric zebra?

Blitzle line is on my list on mons that I would use if they weren't so tragically boring. Boring typing, boring abilities, boring movepool, boring stats.

Tired of Gamefreak wasting cool designs.

Forkball

Pidove is kind of cute and a pigeon is a perfect fit for New York. I'm not sure how a pigeon turns into a pheasant, but it has an alright design. I really dislike the female design however. Yes I know what they were going for but it looks so bland. Why on earth would you even want to train a female one when it looks like that? I don't really care for the beginner birds in general though. They were always merely decent in game until we got the glory/horror that is Talonflame. Also it's mask almost certainly has to be a reference to Lu Bu from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, who is often portrayed as wearing a pheasant-tailed helmet.

oOfFjIN.jpg

Remember Ponyta and Rapidash? They're back! WITH ELECTRICITY. They are still pretty nice designs, but they are worthless in game. I tried to make Blitze work but he fainted in nearly every battle and I shelved him for the far superior Joltik.

With the arrival of Blitzle I want to say that we may finally have escaped the doldrums of Gen 5, some of those early pokemon were making me question my love for the Unova dex I've gotta say.

Macka

Blitzle is really derpy looking imo. Kinda like Litleo in Kalos.

I don't actually mind Zebstrika though. Nothing to write home about, but it's a fine design and 'fine' ends up being a high point in this region. :p

Pidove is such a wasted opportunity. The first stage is pretty cute, but Unfezant should be the second stage and the third stage shoule have been something better.

Kinda feel the same way for the Blitzle line. It's missing a third stage badly design-wise.

v1perz53

It's still a bumpy road, and at the end things start slipping really badly again.

Gen 5 has some of the highest highs and the, well, mediumest mediums for me. I probably don't hate anything as much as I hate some previous gen pokemon because in the game at least even the most boring were functional at a base level, as opposed to something like Shiftry in gen 3, with a level up moveset consisting of Faint Attack as it's single STAB, best TM STAB at 60 BP, and higher Atk than Sp. Atk when at the time both of it's types were special. Always bothered me more when something that seemed so cool and interesting was rendered unuseable because of stats/movepool, so those I have the most resentment for looking back.

woopWOOP

Again, I'm glad there's Zebra in the Pokemon world now. Pretty obvious they went for a Ponyta 2.0, but I'm happy with the variation.
Also didn't realise until now, but with Rapidash, Zebstrika and Keldeo we more or less have all of Eevee's gen1 evolution typings in horse form. (Too bad Keldeo looks... awful)

The road goes right off a cliff and into a volcano at the end.

But Genesect.

Reshiram and Zekrom aren't bad either.

It's a long road to 607-609, the top tier of top tier Pokemon designs, and my personal highlight of Gen V that makes the entire gen worth it. The latter 500s through early 600s is when Unova really starts running.

Kinokou

One of the thing I find neat with the Blitzel line is that they went with a black base, while most people I know would argue that a zebra is white with black stripes, so that's at least something.

Forkball

One of the thing I find neat with the Blitzel line is that they went with a black base, while most people I know would argue that a zebra is white with black stripes, so that's at least something.

They could have swapped the colors as well for the shiny. Instead they did this:

Spr_6x_523.png

Spr_6x_523_s.png

Nailed it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I like Blitzle/Zebstrika and I really wanted to use them but sadly their moveset is just not there yet.

Hopefully Game Freak will bulk up Blitzle/Zebstrika moveset and maybe give Zebstrika an evolution.

Also when I played Pokémon Black I had a Blitzle on my team and for some reason Elesa seemed to love using electric on Blitzle. ¬_¬;

Crayolan

We still have the generic cave dwellers, the humanoid fighting freaks, and a handful of not-bad-but-not-great forest mons. Though there are some moments of greatness before we get there, I don't consider us "in the clear" until we hit Route 4.

WPS

They could have swapped the colors as well for the shiny. Instead they did this:

Spr_6x_523.png

Spr_6x_523_s.png

Nailed it.

Several of unova's shinies actually hide their most prominent colour change in their static sprites / idle animation and only reveal them during their animated sprites / attack animations. I don't think the Blitzle line pull it off as well as the main legends though.

Zebstrika, for example, seems to only swap black for dark purple, but during its animations it's stripes glow green instead of yellow.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I swear if in Pokémon Sun and Moon we don't get a dark type gym leader I am gonna be so annoyed, there's no excuse for them not to have a gym since their appearance in gen 2.

Plus I also hope that Sun and Moon Gym Leaders are more like Gen 4 and 5 gym leaders where they played an active role in the story and less like gen 6 where they were blank boring slate.

Zebstrika really hurts from Volt Tackle being a signature move.

You mean Wild Charge, only Pikachu gets Volt Tackle.

But yeah Zebstrika limited move set really hurts it and having Wild Charge being its strongest stab move isn't great as Wild Charge has a recoil and Zebstika doesn't have the best defense so losing HP isn't an option.

We still have the generic cave dwellers, the humanoid fighting freaks, and a handful of not-bad-but-not-great forest mons. Though there are some moments of greatness before we get there, I don't consider us "in the clear" until we hit Route 4.

Nah we were in the clear the moment gen 5 started.

No I mean Volt Tackle.

Volt Tackle only being on Pikachu (as a signature move), means Zebstrika doesn't get it, even though it's the best physical electric attack in the game. I meant he's hurt by the move being exclusive to Pikachu, because it would really help him.

VT is 120 BP with a 10% chance to paralyze. Wild Charge is "only" 90 BP, with no paralysis chance.

What I hate is counterparts to previously physical/special only moves have some random downside.

Thunderbolt vs Wild Charge. Same BP (was actually 5 higher before Gen VI). Same accuracy. Wild Charge does recoil with no chance of paralyzing. Thunderbolt has no downside, with a 10% chance to paralyze.

Why? What's the trade off? Why isn't Wild Charge just Thunderbolt, but physical?

Trey

there needs to be more physical electric moves in general, the type as a whole feels so limited.

I think it's a decent compromise between the original vision of certain types being purely special or physical, and the current special/physical split. There's like two useful special attacks in the entire ground and rock types, for example.

aett

What I hate is counterparts to previously physical/special only moves have some random downside.

Thunderbolt vs Wild Charge. Same BP (was actually 5 higher before Gen VI). Same accuracy. Wild Charge does recoil with no chance of paralyzing. Thunderbolt has no downside, with a 10% chance to paralyze.

Why? What's the trade off? Why isn't Wild Charge just Thunderbolt, but physical?

It really is a bit frustrating that we've had three generations (so far) with the physical/special split and there are still issues like this. Then there are poor victims like Flareon who don't get decent moves to match their stats... I know that not every Pokemon should be perfect, but it feels like an oversight.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
DovU5VO.png

#524 - Roggenrola
Rock

Generation V brought back the classic Link Evolutions, those who evolve merely by trading into their final form as opposed to also requiring an item, in the form of Roggenrola and Timburr---basically the Geodude and Machop of Generation V. While Link Evolutions used to be pretty annoying in the older Generations, like I really want to use one of them in Red and Blue on the Virtual Console but lacking a way to trade them puts me off that idea, by Generation V and the availability of quick and easy Wi-Fi the option of using them in-game is a bit more realistic by finding a trusted online friend to help you evolve them. I ended up using both of them in Pokemon White, as since I had already played through Pokemon Black beforehand and had a DS and DSi I could easily trade with myself to evolve them, the only difficulty being deciding when the best time to evolve them would be since I wanted to "bond" with their middle evolutions before quickly changing them out. Anyway, Roggenrola has a few amount of differences compared to Geodude despite having the same evolution methods and similar stats and movepools---Roggenrola is actually pure-Rock instead of Rock/Ground, and thus has less Ground-type moves in its arsenal, and it's a bit slower but with higher Attack by the time it reaches its final form. It's actually a bit weaker in-game I recall, its low Special Defense really hurts it and its movepool takes awhile to get good (Rock Blast always seems to miss for me), though it was the first Pokemon to appear with the upgraded version of Sturdy which now prevents it from being OHKO'd not only from moves such as Fissure and Submission, but any move in general which would take it out in one hit. This means it'll always get at least one attack off before fainting, and also makes it somewhat of an annoying Pokemon to fight when NPCs use it since you'll always have to waste two PP to take it down unless you're carrying multi-hit moves.

Despite being seen as Generation V Geodude, Roggenrola is actually a pretty unique Rock-type Pokemon and honestly I really like the line, perhaps more so than their Generation I counterpart. While it has a very minimalistic and impersonal design---that's actually not its eye apparently, but an ear---I find it very adorable despite that and it reminds me of a cute little Kirby enemy who'd give you the Stone Copy Ability. It also happens to literally be based on a geode, not simply punned on one, which are rocks with cavities line with crystals which are formed after said rocks have been buried within the ground for thousands of years, mineral-filled groundwater slowly seeping into the rock overtime causing crystals to form within. Well, that's a somewhat basic explanation, I'm not really good with geology---but it's nice to see Game Freak got a bit more scientific with this Rock Pokemon instead of just making it a rock. In the Pokemon World Roggenrola is a recently discovered Pokemon found about a hundred years ago when an earthquake opened up the ground, and presumably it had been developing deep within the earth's core for thousands of years. Its body is said to have become as hard as steel due to the pressure from the earth but, you know, it's actually pretty fragile in-game being a Rock-type Pokemon.

One neat thing that Best Wishes did was, since the first time really since Kanto, Ash caught multiple Pokemon outside of his main six---and unlike the Kanto reserves, he actually rotated them into his team. Or, so, that was the idea---in reality this element was heavily underutilized as Best Wishes was still mostly "The Starter and Pikachu Show", with his reserve Pokemon for the most part getting very little screentime in a couple of battles and otherwise were pretty undeveloped overall. Roggenrola was the eight Pokemon Ash obtained in Unova and caught it after saving it from Team Rocket. Giving a Pokemon without a real face a personality isn't an easy task, remember Zubat and Staryu, and for the most part Roggenrola didn't have any standout characteristics except for the fact its Ash's only Rock-type Pokemon ever. It evolved soon after, but got a few appearances beforehand---among his reserves it certainly wasn't treated the worst.

Dwkga5E.png

#525 - Boldore
Rock

At Level 25 Roggenrola evolves into Boldore, the same level Geodude evolves into Graveler. Upon evolving Boldore learns one of the few Special Rock-type attacks, Power Gem, but it really can't make any use of it due to its poor Special Attack. That's my biggest issue with this line, thematically it seems like they could've been made one of the few Special-based Rock-type Pokemon to help them stand out from Geodude, but Game Freak totally let this idea go to waste for whatever reason and like Pidove it's a really unfortunate misstep in a Generation that is known for having on average pretty well-made Pokemon mechanically. That being said Boldore is good enough to use in the main game and I had fun with him, but it's easy to think how he could've been a bit more interesting as a mixed attacker.

You'll remember I said with the Link Evolutions the middle form is pretty much always my favorite and that holds true with the Generation V ones as well as Boldore seriously looks pretty sweet, like some kind of strange alien crab monster. Its said to basically walk like a crab as well, always facing forward and moving swiftly (well, not in-game) in the cardinal directions. The energy that was stored within its body as Roggenrola has now begun to leak out as glowing orange crystals, which really helps it stand out from the majority of Rock-type Pokemon who are typically kind of dull and dirty looking. That being said I do like how Boldore has a very rough, unevenly cut body and the way the crystals aren't perfectly aligned but instead somewhat haphazardly placed works to its advantage by making it feel more monstrous. Though now it definitely looks like it has actual eyes, I imagine those are still meant to be ears and the line is effectively blind relying on sound in order to sense their surroundings.

Ash's Roggenrola was one of the many Pokemon of his in Unova who evolved during a match, in this case it evolved during the Gym Battle against Clay after absorbing a Horn Drill with Sturdy and then turned things around with its new moves Rock Blast and Rock Smash. Like Unfezant though after evolving Boldore didn't have a great run, it got a couple of battles but lost all of them except a quick battle against a no-name character in a tournament and it never evolved again. I remember catching a quick scene of the Kyurem movie on Cartoon Network though (which I need to get around to watching) where Boldore helped Ash slide across some ice which was kind of neat, but beyond that outside of the Gym Battle it really didn't do too much to stand out.

0Z5XVTo.png

#526 - Gigalith
Rock

Trading Boldore turns it into Gigalith. There's really no downside to evolving it as soon as possible, their learnsets are exactly the same, so if you have the means available you may as well go ahead and do it right away---though I liked sticking with Boldore a bit because it looks really neat. Gigalith is extremely slow, but its Attack and Defense is top-notch and can be a very powerful in-game Pokemon who can destroy a ton of opponents with Stone Edge and Earthquake and, if all else fails, Explosion can finish off virtually any opponent and is easily abusable by taking advantage of Sturdy + Full Revive during the Elite Four, except when fighting Shauntal's Ghost Pokemon. In the competitive scene though it has a bit more raw power than Golem, it's seen as the weaker of the two due to lacking the Ground-type, meaning it misses out on STAB Earthquake and losing the immunity to Electric-type Pokemon, and is painfully slow with weak Special Defense---Sturdy + Custap Berry is pretty much the one strategy it relies on, setting up Stealth Rock on the first turn, surviving the first hit with Sturdy and Custap allowing it to move first next round to get in one final attack such as Earthquake, Stone Edge, or Explosion. So it's a pretty one-note Pokemon, but has a good chance of taking out at least one of your opponent's Pokemon and hindering them with Stealth Rock. On that note, though, facing a Gigalith means it's easy to expect what's coming and prevent it with the proper strategy.

Gigalith is a giant dinosaur-looking rock monster who kind of reminds me of a mecha, it's even got a "High Mega Particle Cannon" built into its body as it's capable of absorbing solar energy through the crystals on its body, processing said energy in its core, and then fired out of its mouth as a powerful beam of light capable of blowing away a mountain---too bad its horrid Special Attack means there's no joy in actually doing this with Hyper Beam or Solar Beam, which it can pick up with TMs. I remember when he was first revealed everyone pointed out he basically looked like Chromastone from Ben 10: Alien Force, who I always thought was one of the cooler alien designs on the show so that was pretty neat...yeah, I like Boldore a bit more, but honestly Gigalith is a pretty legitimate design and does enough to stand out compared to Golem as his own Pokemon. Mechanically though you gotta wonder how many of the Generation V Pokemon will fare in the long run outside of Black and White since a lot of them kind of fill the same niche the classic Pokemon do---like XY returns the Geodude line back to prominence and it's easy to sort of forget Roggenrola was a thing. I'm guessing they might switch between them throughout the future Generations, like maybe Sun and Moon will focus on Roggenrola again.

Ash's Boldore never evolved, probably because the writers never really figured out how to handle Link Evolutions in the show---well, they did actually address one special line in Best Wishes who evolve through trading with one another specifically, but the normal Link Evolutions seem to basically be regular evolutions. Had Boldore evolved, I imagine Ash wouldn't have traded it and instead it would've just evolved through a Level Up. Gigalith's one major appearance in the show had one rampaging around town---because it had a nail stuck in its foot, seriously---but was stopped by the Unova League Champion Alder. With his bare hands. Yeah, forget Cynthia, Alder was legitimately the coolest Champion.

brinstar

LOVE this line, probably my favorite rock Pokemon. I was so happy when Ash caught one (and then super annoyed when it barely got to do anything)

I also totally agree that it should've been a special attacker, though, just based on its movepool.

I used Gigalith on my unfinished White team.

He now lives in my copy of X.

I don't particularly remember anything about using it, other than I used it.

Despite being off brand Geodude, I don't mind them.

gardfish

Never used a Gigalith in-game, although I have used Roggenrola as an early-game stop-gap Pokemon until I found something I liked better. It's quite a cool design, though, and I got a shiny one through the GTS once, which is very cool looking--blue crystals look excellent on it.

It's pretty obvious the animators of the anime do not like the challenge of giving personality to Pokemon without obvious faces or facial expressions, since they seem to mostly ignore them. But for some reason continue to hand them out to main characters...

The Geodude evolution visual is so inconsistent to me, the first form seemingly levitates but actually doesn't, then it gets legs and extra arms which get dropped for the final form that visually isn't quite a match with what came before it.
Roggenrolla to Boldore to Gigalith on the other hand just comes across a lot better, sure geodude may be the classic but I'll take the Gen 5 expy over them quite happily.
Gigalith is pretty rad for a formation of killer rock, it's also nice that it's pure rock because I've grown so used to expecting them to get lumped with Ground or Steel that mono Rock seems oddly refreshing.

On the other hand, fuuuuck sturdy.

ajim

Gigalith is awesome despite the fact I've never been able to use one.

I've got a soft spot for rock Pokémon with Golem being one of my favourite.

Wish I could have a Gigalith :-(

Top Bottom