• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

WarAdept

I fucking love Chesnaught. Knight archetype, completely different colour scheme to other grass types and the fact that it's quite unique in looks means it gets an A+ from me.

Thanks to X and Y's new systems, Chespin was the only Pokemon I've ever EV'd at the beginning forest at level 6 with those soccer minigames. Thing just smacked everything with the great early level up coverage moves it learnt.

Enjoyed using it a bit in OU as well. It was a pretty interesting mon to use, as it countered Mega Gyrados and Bisharp, as could make for a very annoying thing to fight by Spikes/Leech Seeding/Spiky Shield.

Too bad it's fallen by the wayside as the power creep through to ORAS just became way too much for anything to reliably wall that isn't called Mega Sableye or Ferrothorn.

e105zeta

Neo Member
I love Chespin and Chesnaught. I think they pulled of what they were going for pretty well, and I like the Chesnaught itself looks friendly and approachable like a Warrior that prestieged into Paladin would. I don't mind Quilladin, either but it always reminds me that there'd be a ton of legs for a good pinata Pokemon.

My only complaint with Chesnaught is indeed the color scheme. I didn't know that chesnuts whiten, but Shiny Chesnaught actually looks like a plant-animal hybrid while Chesnaught itself can look too much like a fuzzy turtle if you don't know much about it. If it was just on its own, you'd probably assume it was a Ground or Rock-type at first glance rather than Grass/Fighting.

9c2.png

oh god i never looked at that newpaper in that pic but wow

also time to post this man X and Y final weeks before coming out was insane, cant wait to relive all that again later this year

and for chespin line, i like chespin, dont really care for Quilladin but Chesnaught oh boy

i like him nowadays but man when he was first shown off i lost it, i hated him, but now i love him so every thing is fine again

GoldStarz

The only Kalos starter line where I like all of the Pokemon.

Braixen and Greninja are cool, Fennekin is meh, and Froakie, Frogadier, and Delphox are bad. That leaves the Chespin line as the obvious choice.

I gotta wonder where you went though, Birdie, because as far as I saw, Chespin was hated from the very start and it just got worse after the absolute adorability of Quilladin was unveiled to the world.

The only Kalos starter line where I like all of the Pokemon.

Braixen and Greninja are cool, Fennekin is meh, and Froakie, Frogadier, and Delphox are bad. That leaves the Chespin line as the obvious choice.

I gotta wonder where you went though, Birdie, because as far as I saw, Chespin was hated from the very start and it just got worse after the absolute adorability of Quilladin was unveiled to the world.

i dont remember chespin ever getting hate, sure he wasn't the most popular out of the three but he wasn't hated

woopWOOP

Good ol' hathog. I liked it so much pre-release that I commissioned CrayonChewer an avatar... that I never really ended up using :p

Its second form gives off some major Pignite vibes, but Quilladin comes across a lot dopier. I kind of like it.
The way Chesnaught T-1000's his hands together as a shield is kind of weird, but overall I like the bulky knight motif. The white colour gives it more of a paladin look too, I have no problems with its colour scheme.
Overall it's my favourite gen6 starter line for sure.

Nightii

Banned
Fat shaming fools in here, I see...

Whole line is the best, the designs, the knight motif that isn't too overt, the signature move and ability, I love this line a lot overall.

Gen 6 was the first time I picked a grass starter first. I got immediately rewarded with a terrible nature (-attack, +special defense). Then in Alpha Sapphire I chose Treeko and got the exact same nature again.

Never picking a grass starter again.

Chespin in Smash always sounds like it's saying Tepig to me. Hearing it in Sound Test original confused me, as Tepig is not in Smash, but after awhile I realized it was actually saying "Che-Spin"

I'm not a fan of Chesnaught. But really, other than Sceptile and maybe Venusaur, I never find grass starters to be all that great. Maybe Rowlet will change that, hopefully it has a nice looking final evolution

Macka

I was firmly #TeamChespin when the Kalos starters were revealed, and I still think Chespin is one of the best looking first stage starters in the entire series. Absolutely adorable and a great mix-up from the typical Grass starters we had seen to that point.

I wavered slightly when I saw Quilladin, but I didn't hate it as much as some people seemed to, and find him to be goofily charming and fine for a middle stage.

Chesnaught is where it completely fell apart for me, and no - it's not just his awkward open-armed pose. To be fair though it's really just the awful colour scheme that turns me off the design. Why they went for cream coloured 'armour' over the more natural brown or green (that would also have been more true to the previous two stages) I have no idea - it makes him look like a mummy wrapped in bandages. I also think the 'helmet' is a little awkward looking, but again a different colour would make it look much better. This image really can't be posted enough:

Infinitely better imo. If he looked like this it would legit be one of my favourite Pokemon ever. Oh man those rosebud tipped thorns, so good!

Shiny form is better than the standard, but still nowhere near as good as this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm gonna stress again that the reason you don't see brown in Chesnaught is because his brown bits are covered by the beige armor.

brinstar

Chesnaught was my partner during X. I usually pick the Grass starter irregardless of what it is, with Torchic and soon Litten to be the only exceptions.

This line is pretty solid, not my favorite of the Grass starters but not bad either. One thing I really appreciate is Chesnaught can learn all sorts of attacks. It kind of reminds me of Torterra in that regard which was very welcomed after dealing with Serperior's dry-as-hell movelist.

GoldStarz

Sure, but that's not a particularly good reason to have a terrible colour scheme. :/

He doesn't? Honestly, I'm pretty sure the artist just messed up his color scheme when drawing him because the first time you posted this, I was so clueless as to what changed. I don't know why you're hung up on this that you notice that stuff lol

Macka

He doesn't? Honestly, I'm pretty sure the artist just messed up his color scheme when drawing him because the first time you posted this, I was so clueless as to what changed. I don't know why you're hung up on this that you notice that stuff lol
You get so defensive over designs you like lol. There's really no point replying saying 'nah-ah!' because of subjectivity, but either way this is a pretty massive change, so I really don't know how you couldn't notice the differences straight away. Like, really?

And to say that I'm 'hung up' on this is pretty lolworthy. This is a thread where we discuss Pokemon designs, so of course I'm going to mention it. I feel it's so close to being great, but the colour scheme holds it back so much.

Nightii

Banned
The beige color is nice, easy on the eyes, and doesn't go "look at me, I'm green because Grass", it's a nice change of pace for a grass starter and works for the older chestnut motive.

What I'm trying to say is that I like how it looks, and that fan painting and the shinie palette, while not bad looking, are not as refreshing and as what we got.

The 'mummy' complaint is just silly.

One thing about Chesnaught for me is that it isn't really completely obvious it's suppose to be a knight. Delphox is pretty clearly a mage and Greninja is clearly a ninja, but Chesnaught ends up being a bit ambiguous. It's missing elements like a helmet or more obvious armor, versus the spiky turtle shell it ended up getting.

The same problem applies to their middle forms. While Braxen and Frogadier start to appear more mage like and ninja like, Quilladin is just a big spiky potato with a goober face.

Something more like this
2592198-5527733388-Knigh.jpg

Where the chestnut shell has taken over his entire body and all you see are two little eyes peaking out of a spiny armor. Right now you look at him and he ends up looking more like a wrestler than a knight.

Gen V had Escavalier, and putting Chesnaught next to that design really highlights how not knightlike Ches is.

GoldStarz

You get so defensive over designs you like lol. There's really no point replying saying 'nah-ah!' because of subjectivity, but either way this is a pretty massive change, so I really don't know how you couldn't notice the differences straight away. Like, really?

And to say that I'm 'hung up' on this is pretty lolworthy. This is a thread where we discuss Pokemon designs, so of course I'm going to mention it. I feel it's so close to being great, but the colour scheme holds it back so much.

That's fair, it's just that you brought it up a while before we even got to Kalos tbh.

And yeah, the differences aren't that major, just some palette swapping here and there. Obviously when you have side-by-side with the art, the differences become clear but just seeing it on your own and working off of memory... Eeeeh.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sure, but that's not a particularly good reason to have a terrible colour scheme. :/

Honestly just blame chestnuts for being really bland in color.

One thing about Chesnaught for me is that it isn't really completely obvious it's suppose to be a knight. Delphox is pretty clearly a mage and Greninja is clearly a ninja, but Chesnaught ends up being a bit ambiguous. It's missing elements like a helmet or more obvious armor, versus the spiky turtle shell it ended up getting.

The same problem applies to their middle forms. While Braxen and Frogadier start to appear more mage like and ninja like, Quilladin is just a big spiky potato with a goober face.

Something more like this
2592198-5527733388-Knigh.jpg

Where the chestnut shell has taken over his entire body and all you see are two little eyes peaking out of a spiny armor. Right now you look at him and he ends up looking more like a wrestler than a knight.

Gen V had Escavalier, and putting Chesnaught next to that design really highlights how not knightlike Ches is.

he has that though (the helmet and armor), it's just that it's not as obvious

like I said, people think the beige part is his body when in fact it's armor

Chesnaught could have been the greatest but they dropped the ball with those bandages. Should have made him a megaevolution for Cofagrigus instead.

Not as dumb as Greninja's tongue scarf tho.

Quilladin is the best middle evolution for a starter. Well, Grovyle is up there too

Chesnuaght is odd, it's the one starter pokemon out there that doesn't strike me as a design that has that mass appeal you expect from a starter, he looks like a mess, a decent mess, but a mess none the less.

Chespin is neat though.

Nightii

Banned
If people don't notice his head being a helmet and his body being armor when they're intended to be, then it's a poor design.
Chesnaught not being as blatant in his knight design is a good thing.

Hell, Greninja is fairly subtle as far as design goes too, the reason people see the ninja in it lies in the name and pose.

Nightii

Banned
Greninja isn't subtle. Scarf and shuriken patterns on him.
What shuriken patterns? It only has those weird water blob-like things on it's arms and legs, and the tongue scarf alone is not enough to give a ninja impression unless you know beforehand.

It's all in the way it stands and the name.

What shuriken patterns? It only has those weird water blob-like things on it's arms and legs, and the tongue scarf alone is not enough to give a ninja impression unless you know beforehand.

It's all in the way it stands and the name.

Greninja has shurikens on his hips. Although he never does it in the games, it appears he grabs his Water Shuriken attack from his hips, according to concept art.

latest

I'm not really sure Greninja could be more of a ninja if they tried. The pose striking, the shurikens, the scarf. He's basically the most ninja Pokemon we've ever had.

Also Greninja looks funky without his tongue extended.

Menitta

The fresh breath of Gen 6. Chespin's alright. Don't care for him in the anime. It's design is a starter Pokemon through and through.

TheWP

Neo Member
Finally, after over a month of waiting, I can post on NeoGAF (which I signed up for just for this thread)

More than the color change that Chesnaught brings, the thing that I find "off" about its design is its sausage limbs - they aren't well defined (basically cylinders) and curve more then bend.

I was actually on Team Froakie from the beginning. I like reptiles and amphibians, and normally find myself drawn to the water types (possibly because they are often reptiles or amphibians). Chespin was actually on the bottom (in terms of looks) for the Gen 6 starters for me.

I kind of wish Chesnaught didn't go part Fighting. After learning about the RPG motif and the new Fairy type, I was hoping Chesnaught would go Grass/Steel, Delphox Fire/Fairy, and Greninja Water/Dark. When I think Warriors/Paladins, I pictured Steel before Fighting. That would also create a semi-reverse loop where the secondary type is super effective against the starter it's primary type is weak against (Steel beats Fairy, Fairy beats Dark, but Dark is only neutral vs Steel).

Based on the rumors regarding the final typings of the Gen VII starters, I'm afraid my headcanon typings are wrong there as well. I want Rowlet to stay Grass/Fighting, Litten to become Fire/Poison (a unique typing that would make sense for sulfur/brimstone), and Popplio Water/Fairy (using the circus performer motif as the Fairy part)

hazukash

I'm a grass type fan and Chespin is my least favourite grass starter line. :( I like Chesnaught's typing/move set and Chespin looks cute, but I really don't like Quilladin and Chesnaught's design. Quilladin's is especially bad as it looks like a fakemon.

PK Gaming

Chesnaught reminds me of Hank from Breaking bAd

The evolutionary line doesn't flow well from each stage, and it's kind of silly looking. The fanart edit is so much better

At least Bulletproof is a baller ability

Chesnaught is good as a tank, but its offensive ability isn't there. I like Chesnaught's design and that typing isn't too bad, although that 4x flying weakness hurts.

Top Bottom