• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

NEO0MJ

Man, all you people hating on Hydreigon are hurting my feelings :(
After Hydreigon, it goes:
Metagross > Tyranitar > Goodra > Dragonite > Garchomp > Salamence
for me. Though I bump Garchomp ahead of Goodra if we're factoring in megas. That mega makes it look so much better in my opinion.

Mega Tyranitar is a Space Godzilla homage, so it makes sense it looks try-hard. :p

How did I not notice this before :O

KingDirk

Man, all you people hating on Hydreigon are hurting my feelings :(
After Hydreigon, it goes:
Metagross > Tyranitar > Goodra > Dragonite > Garchomp > Salamence
for me. Though I bump Garchomp ahead of Goodra if we're factoring in megas. That mega makes it look so much better in my opinion.

How did I not notice this before :O

Hey, I like Hydreigon! Love his little weird hand heads. I am also happy his shiny is that same shitty green so I can just try to breed a competitive one and leave it at that. =)

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man this thread is making debate whether or not I should dump Goodra for Dragalge on my X team.

I also like Tyranitar though I haven't been able to use him on my team due to his sand stream ability and I haven't gotten round to catching one with his hidden ability.

The way it ended wasn't.

I dunno man I mean Charizard won and I am okay with that, plus it was hilarious to see the uproar that happened.

Seriously though I always knew that Ash would lose the league, just that I thought that it would be Sawyer who would defeat him and not Alain.

2e3.gif

That always made me chuckle.

Hey, at least his DP team actually beat his rival. Stay losing Kalos.

Most of the time I make fun of XY, it's to troll Boss Doggie.

Ha ha, still though put me in Sinnoh over Kalos camp.

Dragonair is too pretty to evolve.

I don't mind Dragonite, but Dragonair is so elegant, and looks just fine as a final form, it's a shame it gets so dopey looking when it evolves.

I was raising a Dragonair on my Crystal team and I was debating whether or not I should let him evolve but in the end I decided to let him evolve as I was going with him being a counterpart to Charizard where Charizard was fiery and knew fire type moves Dragonite would be cool and calm and knew Waterfall and Ice Beam to reflect that.

NEO0MJ

If you guys hate Dragonite so much just equip an Eviolite on Dragonair.

Hey, I like Hydreigon! Love his little weird hand heads. I am also happy his shiny is that same shitty green so I can just try to breed a competitive one and leave it at that. =)

Yeah, the shiny is less than appealing.

Man this thread is making debate whether or not I should dump Goodra for Dragalge on my X team.

Dragalge has adaptability, which means maximum power! plus no fear of fairies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
we ranking pseudos?

Metagross > Salamence > Tyranitar > Goodra = Hydreigon > Dragonite

Hey, at least his DP team actually beat his rival. Stay losing Kalos.

Most of the time I make fun of XY, it's to troll Boss Doggie.

But Shota is his rival :p

Ranking pseudos?

Hydreigon > Garchomp > Salamence > Metagross > Tyranitar > Goodra > Dragonite

Dragonite and Goodra are cute, but they aren't Edgy enough for a pseudo.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Dragalge has adaptability, which means maximum power! plus no fear of fairies.

I will probably stick with Goodra as I would have to trade Skrelp over and I want to limit the number of Pokémon I trade in.

But I was looking at the number of gen 6 Pokémon that want to use and there's only 8 left.

Hopefully they make the 600 BST Pokémon cuter in Sun.

I hope that they give it a unique typing and really think outside the box with it preferably a non dragon this time round.

Cartoon Dragon, Godzilla, Anime Dragon, Super Computer, Shark Dragon, Hydra Tank (also a dragon), Slime Dragon

...yea, I think they should hold off on the dragons for a bit. I think it's no coincidence Metagross and Tyranitar are some of the best designed pseudos.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Oh fuck I forgot GOTY Garchamp

We have opposite opinions on everything at this point. I'm amazed we both even like the same franchise!

I just struggle to understand how anyone can appreciate Garchomp. It's a big fat mess!

Bubble

Neo Member
Garchomp > Tyranitar > Metagross > Hydreigon > Salamence > Goodra > Dragonite

When it comes to pseudo legendaries, I honestly like all of them. So Sun & Moon better not let me down because when it comes to pseudo legendaries, they have yet to let me down.

Rutger

Banned
I just struggle to understand how anyone can appreciate Garchomp. It's a big fat mess!

Well, it's the only cool shark Pokemon, is used by the best champion, has been consistently strong from the day it was introduced, was introduced in one of the best regions, and has a slick design.

Plenty of reasons to like it!

Ezalc

Cartoon Dragon, Godzilla, Anime Dragon, Super Computer, Shark Dragon, Hydra Tank (also a dragon), Slime Dragon

...yea, I think they should hold off on the dragons for a bit. I think it's no coincidence Metagross and Tyranitar are some of the best designed pseudos.

This is correct, though I do like Garchomp simply because it's a landshark as well. Always fun to see that Pokken move of it swimming through the ground and it's fin popping out.

CazTGG

Tyranitar>Metagross>Garchomp>Salamence>Goodra=Dragonite>Hydreigon

I'm rather indifferent to the first and last pseudo legendary Pokémon we've gotten but I will give Goodra this over Hydreigon: It's a cute idea to have a dragon who is, quite literally, soft considering Dragon-type Pokémon are typically classed as being the cream of the Pokécrop in terms of how tough they are.

Hydreigon falls apart on its lower body. It has the right idea, but then the design just sort of ends abruptly into a weird Lati@s lower body with stubby little baby legs that doesn't really work. Like they had bigger ideas for a lower body and then ran out of sprite space and gave up. You want to just point and laugh at its silly little stubs of legs.

To be honest, for Goodra, they should have just bumped Sliggoo's stats up and made it a two stager. And for the Psuedo, add a middle form to Noivern, and make him the Pseudo. Noivern is an amazingly well designed Pokemon and looks like it should be more powerful than it is. Like Flygon, I guess.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
My problem with Hydreigon is that they never really completed or altered his design the moment they changed their minds about him. Originally he was a tank dragon but they then went for a hydra/Gidorah, but then they forgot about fully changing the design so we have those track-like marks and weird empty lower area.

It also doesn't help that it comes across more plant like than hydra like.

latest

Actually, a fly trap based Dark/Grass or Grass/Dragon Pseudo might have worked.

Our current Fly Trap Pokemon is silly. They could get away with a more serious and evil plant.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
PJyPI9e.png

#707 - Klefki
Steel/Fairy

Our final non-Legendary single-stage Pokemon as of Generation VI, Klefki is a unique and rather good Pokemon. Until the introduction of Magearna it also happened to be the first Steel/Fairy Pokemon, one of those "opposites attract" Type combinations, and one that's really nice as it has two immunities to Dragon and Poison and a total of nine resistances. Its two weaknesses, Ground and Fire, are unfortunately rather common and can be quite destructive as neither its Defense or Special Defense is all that high though it has Magnet Rise to get rid of the first one. It also gets two Signature Moves---first there's Crafty Shield, which it will pick up on its own at Level 23, that protects its allies from status moves and then Fairy Lock, which it can only get through the Move Reminder which prevents the opponent from switching or escaping the next turn. You'll note that neither of these moves are particularly useful during the single-player campaign, and much like Carbink Klefki may be a Pokemon you skip over when constructing your team since its playstyle isn't that fast nor straight-up offensive and it's more cerebral, though like usual if you like to defeat the CPU intelligently rather than simply spamming your most powerful attacks give Klefki a shot. Though it looks like it'd be this super rare Pokemon that'd be hard to find, it appears in three different locations and can be encountered the easiest by exploring the Lost Hotel.

In the competitive scene though Klefki, or "Boo-Boo Keys", is quite powerful---in fact I believe in terms of competitive usage excluding Legendaries and non-Mega Pokemon it may be the most powerful single-stage Pokemon since Skarmory. Not only is its Type combination great as we've already established, its Ability happens to be the always useful Prankster and Klefki has a very nice movepool to make use of it such as Spikes, Toxic, Thunder Wave, Fairy Lock, Reflect, and Light Screen meaning it can serve a variety of roles and wall many popular sweepers who can't break through its stellar Type combo. Of course Klefki isn't without its flaws as without the right teammates and switching into the correct Pokemon it itself can become dead weight since all it really has to depend on offensively is Play Rough and Foul Play, but under the command of a skilled Trainer Klefki is one dangerous Pokemon. It probably wins the distinction of being the Pokemon with the biggest gap between looks and power, a seemingly throw-away design which can absolutely ruin your day.

Klefki got a lot of hate when it was revealed, like Vanilluxe and Garbodor-tier, and part of this isn't necessarily even due to its design---it ended up simply representing the "failures" of Generation VI. You see when Pokemon X&Y were leaking around the net due to it being released early, one individual who was doing that mentioned that the Kalos Dex only had 69 New Pokemon and re-used the Legendary Birds as the Legendary Trio, the last non-Legendary Pokemon unaccounted for being a small fairy Pokemon carrying a set of keys. People didn't want to believe Generation VI was that sparse in New Pokemon Count and would lazily just re-used the Birds like that, but shortly after this a picture of Klefki was found proving the post to be correct. Now there were some people who wrote it off as a lucky guess, the description of Klefki in the original post didn't quite match the design, and people were desperately hoping more New Pokemon would pop up during the post-game like Diamond and Pearl did, but soon it became quite clear that there really were only 69 New Pokemon (excluding the Event Legendaries), and Klefki thus became representative of that disappointment through no fault of its own. In particular I recall a stickied thread on /vp/ during that time using a picture of Klefki with the words "WHEN YOU WALK AWAY" as the subject basically declaring the entire series to be dead. Though the disappointment over Generation VI has greatly subsided, Klefki is still commonly used as quick insult to criticize Pokemon designs in basically any thread related to the franchise---you can't go a page now without an "ice cream/garbage bag/keyring" joke, the unholy trinity of effortless criticism.

Yes, Klefki is indeed based on a keychain and it doesn't try and hide that fact---now it's not technically a keychain, rather it's a living creature and it can disconnect its loop and form arms and the keyhole on its mouth can move, but yeah it's basically the Key Ring Pokemon. I don't particularly like its design, it's a bit too dull and I think this is one Fairy-type Pokemon who could've used a little more pink in its design, but I don't personally have an issue with it. As people have pointed out it seems to draw from the idea of the mischievous fairy stealing various household objects (where's our missing sock Pokemon, Game Freak?) and thus among Fairy-types it's unique in that fact by representing the "darker" side of the fictional creatures, though still toned down. It's actually a beneficial Pokemon as people have it hold their keys for them so thieves don't steal them, and rather cutely it jangles its keys in order to attempt to scare off attackers. I'm kind of disappointed Game Freak didn't do much with Klefki lore-wise, like have it open up a secret area or be connected to some sort of lock-based Mythical Pokemon like the Carbink-Diancie connection, it's just kind of thrown into a few areas and doesn't get much fanfare.

In my experience keychains aren't that big of a deal here in the West---sure, like fifteen years ago they were pretty popular and everyone seemed to have a unique one (like my Biyomon keychain!), but now they seem pretty uncommon as cellphone cases have become the preferred method of expressing oneself. Japanese, or at least judging by cultural observations, still seems to consider keychains a popular form of personal expression so this is one Pokemon I imagine might have a bit more popularity and relevancy in its country of origin. But that's just my guess, I don't recall ever seeing a popularity contest done in a Japanese magazine like the one for Black and White so I don't know who's popular over there necessarily in terms of the Pokemon introduced in Generation VI, but in the 720 Poll it ranked a respectable 241. It seems like a Pokemon made for merchandising, I mean it's a keychain and everything, yet oddly enough I haven't seen too much Klefki merchandise nor do I recall it ever getting a marketing campaign for it like Stunfisk did in Generation V, but I guess outside of being a keychain its design doesn't lend itself to too many merchandise variations. There's gotta be an actual Klefki keyring, right? Over here in the Western fanbase I feel Klefki's power in the competitive scene helped salvage its design for a lot of folks, sure that doesn't matter to a lot of folks but there are many fans who probably do take a liking to a certain Pokemon for their strength alone and that's perfectly okay. Medicham isn't the best looking Pokemon to be honest, it's kind of awkward and funky, but once I experienced the fun of Pure Power High Jump Kick I fell for it and now it's basically my go-to Pokemon.

Klefki was popular enough to get its own Pikachu Short entitled "Pikachu, What's This Key?" that was paired with the Diancie film. In the short Pikachu and friends meet a Klefki which can use its key to open portals to various dimensions, and the short is mostly a collection of little adventures in these portals where they meet various Mythical Pokemon, Japanese fans being able to vote prior to the release of the film which of these they wanted to be able to receive---Darkrai won, by the way. The short because of this is honestly pretty weak and a bit boring, and doesn't really get decent till the last few minutes where the gang settles down in a dimension of ice and runs afoul of some local Pokemon before having to work together to escape the dimension and return home before Klefki's keyhole permanently closes. Klefki is honestly more of a plot device though rather than a full on character, and that extended to the main series as well where Klefki serves as the mascot of the Pokemon Showcases alongside its own, the M.C. Monsieur Pierre. It's used to hold the Princess Key that's presented to the winner and that's basically it, though one time it got to dance with Aria's Delphox at a party. Monsieur Pierre is a pretty fun character, so it would've been neat to have seen him battle with Klefki at least once. Now that the Pokemon Showcase arc has come to a close that probably won't happen, but perhaps they'll have the character make one last appearance before Ash leaves Kalos.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Back when I was playing around the idea of creating a competitive team I was going to have Klefki be the core of the team and abuse his prankster ability.

Heck my Klefki would be holding the leftover and have the moveset

Foul play
Substitute
Double Team
Swagger.

He would also be paired up with a Clefairy holding an evolite with the Friend Guard ability and would have the move

-Thunderwave
-Follow Me
-Rest
-Moonblast

People didn't want to believe Generation VI was that sparse in New Pokemon Count and would lazily just re-used the Birds like that,

Yeah I am still annoyed that they reused the Legendary Birds for the Kalos trio, it was just another layer of gen 1 pandering that X and Y were riddled with.

We have opposite opinions on everything at this point. I'm amazed we both even like the same franchise!

Yeah, Gabite was straight looking, but then they fucked it up with all those ugly ass spikes.

Toxi

Banned
It's strange Gamefreak had Vivillion as #666 when they introduced Satan in Pokemon form with Klefki in the same generation.

Macka

I love Klefki. An adorable little fairy that goes around collecting keys? What's not to love?

I can kinda understand the hate towards Garbodor and Vanilluxe to an extent, but with Klefki it always seems so unfounded.

I'll usually go to bat for a good bunch of object mon but Klefki just really is pretty boring to look at, it makes me think more positively about Chimecho by comparison.

Dryk

I really like the idea of Klefki, but I think the execution is a little on the nose with the random key crest and keyhole mouth. Comfey is a much better use of a similar idea.

Macka

If it couldn't 'disconnect' and use its arms, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. Between that and the keyhole mouth actually being able to change to show emotion (unlike say, Klingklang), it just has a lot of personality compared to almost every other inanimate object Pokemon imo.

tumblr_n45oxlg4Vh1rpn9eno1_500.gif

Reset

I remember reading about how Gastrodon was originally a third gen pokemon, but then somehow ended up not being added in a gen later. Klefki must have been a 5th gen leftover pokemon that ended up being added a gen later, it sure fits in with the Gen 5 pokemon.

Xux

Klefki's great! Another good example of what Fairy-type Pokemon can be.

Goodra's okay. I don't really care for rankings that much but I'd say it's about even with the other post-Tyranitar pseudo-legends below Dragonite and Tyranitar. I'll agree Sliggoo's the best stage much like another pseudo-legend everyone'll agree with:
Zweilous.
Kind of boring when it evolves, sadly.

Speaking of which, the next Pokemon's a neat Ghost-type.

CazTGG

Not a fan of Klefki. I'll give it credit that it's got more personality than the usual object mon, but it doesn't leave much of a lasting impression. Honestly, it would be among the most forgettable of Gen VI's offerings if it weren't so obnoxiously good.

Soule

I almost never ever post in here, in fact i don't post too often on GAF.

I just have to say how much I love this thread. I'm so happy Sun and Moon are close to release. Since we need this to keep going for awhile.

Great shit.

Same. Just pre-ordered Sun collectors edition

Been working on filling out my pokedex after thinking when I returned I had lost my pokemon to an expiring pokebank (they were thankfully mostly on the cartridge). Slowly closing in on the 600s of my dex and dipping my toe into breeding while I wait for GTS trades. Gotta say I really appreciate these big detailed pokemon write ups by Watch da Birdie, making it easier to decide which ones to try breeding and get excited about pokemon I didn't know existed or forgot about.

Anyway don't post too often but this is my favourite pokemon thread and it seems to be slowing down so here's some of my love + bump

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm back!

lE1eWqR.png

#708 - Phantump
Ghost/Grass

A Ghost/Grass Pokemon has been an idea that fans have been wanting from the beginning of the franchise, and the demand for such a Type combination was only increased when Gardenia teased it in Diamond and Pearl. And finally, years later, it arrived in not one but TWO different Generation VI families, our first one being Phantump and Trevenant. Thing about Ghost/Grass is while conceptually it's rather neat, in terms of gameplay it's kind of odd---you got two immunities, a decent about of resistances, but then a lot of weaknesses as well and it's just a really odd Type combination when you get down to it. Anyway Phantump is probably a Pokemon many players will skip over when forming their in-game teams due to the fact it doesn't appear till quite late in the game and evolves through trading, though fortunately if you really want to use the line you can wait a tad bit longer and just catch its evolution in-game which was a nice thing for Game Freak to do to make up for giving it the most annoying evolution method.

Phantump is quite a slow Pokemon, but specializes in Attack and Special Defense---that's kind of a combination you don't see too often, right? It takes it awhile before it will start picking up its greatest STAB moves such as Wood Hammer and the new Phantom Force, basically a Ghost-type Fly/Dig, but by the time you catch one you should have plenty of TMs to use on it till you get to those levels. In terms of Abilities in-game you'll get either Natural Cure and Frisk, with the former being the obvious choice since so few in-game opponents use items outside of the Battle Facilities which you'll probably tackle with post-game bred Pokemon anyway. It also gets its own Signature Move known as Forest's Curse, a Grass-type move that adds the Grass-type to the target and, yes, this means you can make a Pokemon triple-typed! But you can't add it to a Grass-type Pokemon and make them a double Grass-type, but otherwise everything's fair game---Grass comes with a lot of additional weaknesses (using this on Kyurem will totally fuck it over with a total of ten weaknesses!) so you can make an opponent quite vulnerable with this move, but the fact you need to waste a turn setting it up and the opponent can simply switch out of it means it's quite situational and probably not worth bothering with. Maybe one day someone will come up with a crazy Forest's Curse strategy but for now it's simply a novelty.

When designing Generation VI there was one thing that Sugimori and Masuda realized Pokemon had been missing---dead children. Phantump is said to be a rotten stump possessed by a spirit and not just any spirit, the spirit of children who died while lost in the woods. Now technically the PokeDex mentions it's just an "old tale", but it's still rather surprising Game Freak, and the English localization, didn't pull any punches here in the description and just flat out mentioned dead children. Phantump appears to be based on the kodama, a Japanese spirit believed to inhabit trees---though the actual kodama isn't the spirit of a dead child, or even a human spirit, but rather simply a nature spirit that inhabits the trees as its physical location. Though there are stories of kodama taking on the appearance of animals, including humans, usually they're simply sacred trees marked with a "shimenawa" rope to ensure that people don't cut them down lest suffer a curse. There's really no agreed upon look of the kodama for Game Freak to use, though the appearance of them in Princess Mononoke is pretty iconic, so Phantump is just a stump with a ghost popping out. But it's a cute design, has a neat lore, and a unique Type so it's a nice little Pokemon even if they played the design safe.

In every series of the anime Ash has always obtained a Grass-type Pokemon, but unlike his Water and Fire-type Pokemon which have been various Pokemon like Buizel and Torkoal his Grass-type was always the Starter---so when Chespin went to Clemont in XY fans figured that Ash's Grass-type this time around would be a non-Starter Pokemon, and Phantump I recall being quite a popular choice. So when it finally got a focus episode in XY&Z, right before the Kalos League where Ash would assuredly need six Pokemon to compete with, fans were pretty hopeful---only to have their hopes dashed as the episode ended up being a simple filler to give us a bit of a break from all the Ash-Greninja episodes. The episode's mainly focused on Bonnie who befriends a Shiny Phantump and introduces it to the wonders of the world outside its forest while Team Rocket, rocking Ralts-family themed costumes for some reason, attempt to capture it for themselves. It's nothing too special but has some cute moments. Anyway Phantump are never said to be the ghost of dead children directly here, instead they make noises that sound like children laughing---so if the "dead children" thing is still true in the anime, this actually adds a creepier layer to it.

wNL8zWy.png

#709 - Trevenant
Ghost/Grass

For whatever reasons Phantump is a Trade Evolution, but unusually for such a Pokemon Trevenant can actually be captured later in Kalos around the 8th Gym in the Winding Woods if you want to use one and don't have anyone to trade with. It's actually the first Trade-based Evolution available for capture in its debut which is pretty cool, and makes me wonder why they felt a Trade-based Evolution was even necessary in the first place. In terms of learning moves there's no downside really to evolving Phantump as soon as possible if you're able because the only downside to Trevenant is picking up Horn Leech at a slightly later level naturally, but it also learns the move at Level 1 so you can actually teach it to it quicker through the Move Reminder---and exclusive to it it'll pick up Shadow Claw too though that's an easy-to-find TM in Kalos if you explore the Glittering Cave. Either way the stat boost is needed so trade away!

Competitively Trevenant is a fairly unique Pokemon thanks to its Typing that means it can serve as a spinblocker, can't be trapped, and is resistant to all powder and spore moves and being a great counter to the threat of Scald thanks to Natural Cure, plus it's a rare Physical Ghost with nice Attack and moves at its disposal. Unfortunately it's very slow and as fragile as a twig which isn't good considering how many weaknesses it has so it has a lot of competition from more popular Grass-type Pokemon pushing it down to the lower tiers. As I've said before, perhaps there's some hidden merit to Forest's Curse that will only become apparent in Gen VII where it can be combined with some new Pokemon or Ability to create an unstoppable combo, but for now poor Trevenant will find itself getting cut down before it gets a chance to really do any damage.

Trevenant was revealed long before Phantump in a trailer for X&Y that aired after the Genesect film in Japanese theaters, and due to how harsh the laws apparently are in Japan when it comes to snapping cellphone pics in theaters everyone else had to wait a few days to see what the Pokemon actually looked like, until then it was quite fun seeing how different members of the fandom described and sketched it out. We knew for sure it was a Pokemon based on a tree, but beyond that we were in the dark about everything else---and even when the trailer became available globally online The Pokemon Company were pretty quiet about Trevenant and it was even later before it was officially revealed including its Type and localized name, most people guessed Ghost/Grass (or Grass/Ghost) but Dark/Grass and even Bug/Grass, since it seemed spider-like, were also popular choices.

Ever since Sudowoodo I've been wanting a Pokemon simply based on a tree---I mean it's such a common staple in fantasy games, a living tree, that Game Freak were actually pretty unique in holding off on one and giving us a fake tree Pokemon years before the real thing! I'm glad they finally gave in and Trevenant is a pretty nifty design, a cool take on the haunted tree. According to lore Trevenant basically can control an entire forest with its roots and while it's amiable towards Pokemon, some implied to live on Trevenant even, it will trap humans who harm its home forever---and one wonders if it's responsible for those children getting lost in the woods and turning into Phantump. In a neat mix of lore and gameplay they're found in the Lost Woods-style Winding Woods, perhaps partially responsible for the labyrinthine nature of Route 20. Oh, and Sudowoodo hanging out in Trevenant Hordes? Brilliant!

Trevenant's design is a bit more intricate than Phantump, and various parts of its design may have a deeper meaning. Though it isn't as obvious as male Pyroar's mane, and may be reaching, some have noted its body shape is somewhat similar to the Japanese kanji symbol for tree, "木". The cyclops eyes, while making it look like another Pokemon inspired by the Zeon Empire aesthetic, link it to the Yamawarawa, another type of Japanese nature spirit which often take the appearance of one-eyed hairy boys though beyond the eye the traits of the Yamawarawa are rather different from Trevenant and the kodama, in fact it's been said they're a type of kappa that head to the mountains during the winter months when the lakes and rivers freeze. Finally the markings on its torso resemble the design of the previously mentioned "shimenawa" rope wrapped around kodama, though I don't quite see it myself. Regardless of the deeper elements of the design on the surface it's a pretty creepy looking dude and also has an eye-catching and thematically appropriate Shiny.

Even though people wanted this line for Ash, I always thought this would've made a perfect Pokemon for James---and it would've worked nicely with Jessie getting the other Ghost/Grass Pokemon, but it wasn't to be. Instead Trevenant got an early semi-filler episode, I say semi-filler because while nothing major happened Froakie learned Cut, which despite being such a common move in the games has been used rather neatly by the line in the show, and also formed a fun bond with Hawlucha as the two learned to combine their attacks. Plus it gave us the great shot of Hawlucha wearing Ash's hat which always cracks me up for some reason. Anyway, in this episode Trevenant "kidnapped" Ash causing Froakie and Hawlucha to come to his rescue, but in reality it just wanted Ash to help it free a Bonsly and Sudoowodo from a net that Team Rocket had set. Trevenant seems pretty strong though so one wonders why it needed Ash's help. Also this was one of those episodes where they suddenly remember game rules and began to point out Ghost's resistance to Fighting-type attacks, though XY has been a bit "better" with this in general.

CazTGG

Trevenant has a rather useful niche of stalling/absorbing status effects in the competitive scene by way of sleeping them away with Rest/Harvest/Lum and is pretty decent offensively in its own right...even though it has a pretty dry movepool beyond STAB moves. I used one during my first playthrough of Omega Ruby since I was rather fond of its design and it did its job pretty well at stalling the CPU and even some players online.

Side-note: I finally picked up a used copy of Pokémon Y. I did not expect to see a main game campaign as dull as Diamond & Pearl, let alone one that went along at such a slow pace.

Top Bottom