• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Bubble

Neo Member
I really like Noibat and Noivern. Noivern is up there as one of my favorites from Gen VI. Just overall excellent.

However, the one issue I have with this line, is that Noibat evolves very late. For such a weak Pokemon like Noibat, I have no idea why they decided to have it evolve at lvl. 48. Like, if I wanted to use this line in-game, Noibat would have to be a passenger for almost the entire game (even more so if you don't use Exp. Share, but why wouldn't you use it?). It's honestly really dumb, and I kind of wish GF just made it lvl. 35 or something.

The Noibat-line isn't the only line to suffer from this. Several Gen V Pokemon suffers from this exact problem (actually, Gen V have it even worse). Just to mention a few of them: Larvesta (lvl. 59), Rufflet (lvl. 54), Pawniard (lvl. 52), Mienfoo (lvl. 50). It's absolutely insane and it gives me a good reason not to use them in-game. Goddamn I hate Gen V.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
By the way I'll be switching up the PokeDex order again...

Gonna do Hoopa and Volcanion first (Diancie of course was covered along Carbink), and then cover Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde because I wanna finish with Big Z since he ties into Sun and Moon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
By the way I'll be switching up the PokeDex order again...

Gonna do Hoopa and Volcanion first (Diancie of course was covered along Carbink), and then cover Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde because I wanna finish with Big Z since he ties into Sun and Moon.

The next lot will be interesting as I have lot to said about the event Pokémon and a few things about the box mascot....and Zygarde. ¬_¬;

Watch Da Birdie

mzD7jfj.png

#720 - Hoopa
Psychic/Ghost (Confined)
Psychic/Dark (Unbound)

As I said previously I'm skipping the Box Legendaries + Zygarde at the moment to save them for last and instead moving on to the final two Mythical Pokemon of Generation VI starting with Hoopa, the Mischief Pokemon. Though he has the same 600 BST as Mew and them as well as sharing the Psychic-type and having a similar visual aesthetic, he doesn't quite qualify as the Mew clone either due to the fact his stats aren't balanced out and he has an additional Forme that comes with a stat increase. So, as I said with Diancie, there's not quite any Mythical Pokemon in Generation VI I'd consider the true "Little Legendary", and that sort of bugs me since that's kind of a tradition at this point---but this is the same Generation we didn't get a new Legendary Trio, Game Freak instead haphazardly tossing the Legendary Birds into Kalos, so there's no use complaining really. Anyway Hoopa (Confined) happens to be currently the only Psychic/Ghost Pokemon officially released, but that will change come this November when Generation VII is released as the Moon Version Box Mascot, Lunala, is a Psychic/Ghost as well. It's a Type Combination I've been wanting for a long time, the two "spiritual" Types being combined together makes a lot of sense, but I do wish a regular Pokemon had it as a Type Combination instead of being limited to Legendaries.

Hoopa wasn't known about right when Generation VI was released, but shortly after eagle-eyed cyber sleuths noticed that Serebii had accidentally uploaded a page to his site dedicated to a then-unknown Pokemon named "Hoopa" which was confirmed to be a legitimate name when it was discovered the species could be searched on the GTS without error, and a week or so later hackers discovered and posted the Pokemon's appearance for all to see. Like Diancie there was quite a few rumors involving Hoopa and how one could legitimately obtain one through a variety of methods inspired by the various oddly empty areas dotted around Kalos, the Chamber of Emptiness on Route 22 be a popular speculated location, but of course it turned out that there was no legitimate way to obtain Hoopa in-game. In the end Hoopa wasn't officially revealed till February 2015, after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire had come out as the newest Generation VI games, and he's linked to them a bit more than Kalos. One could compare him to Deoxys who despite technically debuting in Ruby and Sapphire didn't really "star" in game till Fire Red and Leaf Green.

One thing I really enjoyed about Hoopa is despite the fact it has no in-game event in Generation VI outside of a small special event that nets you an exclusive Key Item, Hoopa has quite a large presence in ORAS despite never actually appearing as it rings, capable of acting as portals, were used in order to explain how and why the player could find basically every pre-Gen VI Legendary hanging out in Hoenn. In the end I think this makes Hoopa a bit cooler than the usual Mythical Pokemon, he actually serves a neat function that uses his lore as a gameplay mechanic, and I wouldn't be surprised if future games, specifically remakes and third Versions (if those aren't gone for good after no Z), bring back his rings as a way to allow new players to obtain the Legendaries they've missed out on. Now everyone and their mother knew these rings belonged to Hoopa when they played ORAS since the Pokemon had been leaked for over a year at that point, but it wasn't officially revealed till a few months after ORAS was released so I imagine it was supposed to be a surprise and Game Freak teasing its existence, though that of course is quite hard to do in the Internet Age. Well, I'm sure it took some younger kids by surprise. Hoopa had another surprise that ended up being spoiled too...

aAvCWE1.png

Prior to ORAS even being released it was discovered that surprisingly (?) Hoopa had a secondary Forme, and this leak was a huge faux pas on the part of Game Freak---the ORAS demo had basically data spoiling the entire game within it including every new Mega Pokemon (though I think we already knew about them all at that point) and Hoopa's new transformation, Hoopa Unbound. So, yeah, we found out about Hoopa's secondary Forme before the regular one had even been officially revealed, and this was in October 2014---Hoopa Unbound was then officially revealed half-a-year later in May 2015. If I was The Pokemon Company I would've just called it quits and went ahead and revealed both Hoopa Formes in like November 2014, but then that would've left the major Pokemon news pretty much barren the rest of the year outside of Ash-Greninja and the Zygarde Formes. Man, I remember the drought of 2015, Pokemon fans got pretty irritable during that time period or lost their minds basically. Glad 2016 has been a non-stop year so far of exciting information.

Much like Shaymin Hoopa can change into its Unbound Forme through the use of the Prison Bottle Event Item, an item that can be obtained by taking a flagged Hoopa to a Poke Mart (thus available only in ORAS) where a clerk gives you a strange bottle that he obtained in exchange for giving away his entire inventory to a creepy old man, despite the fact that he has yet to figure out the purpose of the bottle. And then he gives it to you for free---but of course since you have a Hoopa it actually has a purpose since using the Prison Bottle allows Hoopa to transform into Hoopa Unbound. Hoopa Unbound despite being a Forme change is almost like an evolution, as it massively increases in size (from 1'08" to 21'04"!), its BST jumps to 680 instead of simply being rearranged, its Type becomes Psychic/Dark, and even its category changes from "Mischief Pokemon" to "Djinn Pokemon". Hoopa will remain in its Unbound Forme for three days (y'know, because it's a genie) or until its deposited into the PC or a Daycare, meaning it's impossible to have both Hoopa Formes in your PC if you're a "Living PokeDex" enthusiast. The requirements aren't as obnoxious as Shaymin's, but the three day limit, flavor aside, seems a bit pointless. You can just change it right back anyway with the Prison Bottle.

So each Hoopa has its own natural movepool, but they're quite similar with the main differences coming at later levels, and it's easy enough to work around this by using the Move Reminder to pick-and-choose appropriate moves depending on which Hoopa you're planning on using. They also learn two exclusive moves, Hyperspace Hole and Hyperspace Fury. Hyperspace Hole is a powerful Psychic-type move that breaks through Protect, Detect, Spiky Shield, and Mat Block and is usable by both Hoopa with both of them also gaining STAB from it. Hyperspace Fury on the other hand can only be used by Unbound (Confined can technically use it, but it won't work---it also can't be used through Metronome) and is a Dark-type move that has 100 BP, bypasses accuracy checks, breaks through Protect and Detect etc., but on the downside lowers Hoopa's Defense. All this aside it also happens to be perhaps one of the coolest looking moves ever, looking like an attack straight out of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure---and though I won't say when for the anime viewers here let's just say there's a certain character who will eventually appear in JoJo who more or less pulls off this attack. For Abilities both Hoopa have Magician, stealing the item of a target they hit with a move if they aren't holding one.

Competitively Hoopa Confined is the weaker of the two having only 600 BST, but in the lower tiers it inhabits it can be quite dangerous with its Special Attack hitting a crazy high 150 in addition to a great 140 Special Defense, but on the other hand its Defense is pretty light and it's also quite slow. Though offensively Psychic/Ghost means it can hit pretty hard with Shadow Ball and Hyperspace Hole it's also very vulnerable to Ghost-types itself as well as Dark-type Pokemon and thus a Pokemon with Pursuit spells big trouble for the mischievous imp. Unbound on the other hand is quite a beast in Ubers with 680 BST mainly going into Attack and a bit into Speed, though its HP and Defense remain the same but it only has a single 4X weakness in Bug which isn't quite as common---it has some trouble when it's up against fast Physical Attackers but it has a large movepool available to it and is quite a difficult Pokemon to switch into that can destroy players who rely on stalling. Hyperspace Fury and Hyperspace Hole make it quite dangerous in Doubles as well since it can break through the oft-used Protect with little difficulty and kill Pokemon like Aegislash and Amoonguss single-handedly. Use whichever one suits your preferred tier of taste.

Visually I think both Hoopa Confined and Hoopa Unbound are pretty neat looking Pokemon, drawing from the idea of a Djinn (also known as a genie) authentically compared to the Forces of Nature from Generation V, who fans popularly deemed "Genies" due to merely their aesthetic appearance rather than any actual connection to the lore. In particular their designs look far more "demonic" than genies usually appear in popular media, fitting their role as demons like how they were initially portrayed though in folklore Djinn have free will and thus can range from being mere pranksters to straight up villains, Confined fitting the former whereas Unbound definitely fits the latter. Genies are often depicted decorated with rings which for the Hoopa are inter-dimensional transporters allowing them to bend space and transport matter, themselves included, far distances. While Confined likes to do this merely for fun it seems, Unbound is described as doing this out of pure avarice and is rumored to have once transported a castle filled with treasure. Anyway Hoopa Confined is pretty generic as far as cute Mythical Pokemon go, a bit more overdone than Mew and Victini though, but Hoopa Unbound is one of the weirdest and freakiest looking Pokemon ever and while some people really dislike that I think it's pretty awesome, a giant monster with six floating arms that seriously should've been the "SNK Boss" of Pokken Tournament. The game never really explains who sealed Hoopa Unbound away, though, which is a bit disappointing---given he's been around for so long I'm surprised they didn't say that AZ while traveling around the world did it.

Hoopa was the star of the second Pokemon XY film Hoopa and the Clash of Ages, a movie that reeked of desperation---you see box office scores for the Pokemon films have been steadily decreasing, though they still do well enough that they're worth churning out to help fund more serious projects for OLM, so with the Hoopa film the writers decided to go all out and bring in a ton of Legendary Pokemon for one huge climatic battle, or that was the intent. What we got was a movie with a decent enough plot involving the bond between Hoopa and its human companions, the strong point of the movie if you ask me, dragged down by pointless battles which don't even qualify as "spectacles", they're pretty weak and ugly with a lot of distracting CGI. The battle between Rayquaza and Deoxys was done far better, this movie is honestly quite a mess and drags on quite bit around the end. The fact the movie doesn't capitalize on Ash having met all these Legendaries before was also quite disappointing, though the credits implied it was the same Latios and Latias from Alto Mare, and it's a bit weird how Ash calls upon their Mega Evolutions seemingly out of nowhere. It's worth a watch if you're interested in the prospect of seeing a bunch of Legendaries, but this didn't seem to help the box office draw one bit even though that does seem like a good, if shallow, idea to attract the kids.

But as I said Hoopa is a fun enough character---and both Formes play a fairly big role. Unbound is the first Forme to appear and the original version, appearing in a desert town in the beginning and entertaining the town's folk by granting their wishes but goes a bit overboard when it begins summoning Legendaries to fight against causing the town to be destroyed. It's eventually sealed away leaving only Hoopa Confined, who until it learns its lesson is unable to pass through its own rings and thus ends up living alongside the family of the person who sealed its Unbound Forme away. Eventually though the kids who grew up alongside Hoopa seek the Prison Bottle to restore it but unleash "Shadow Hoopa" which threatens to consume the original Hoopa causing a huge battle to take place between the two of them involving the Legendaries. In the end Hoopa gains control of its Shadow and learns to move through its own rings as well as being able to use Unbound without going out of control, saving the day from a time-space distortion caused by all the Legendary shenanigans and learning the importance of friendship and such. Hoopa's honestly really adorable in this film, Rie Kugimiya (Kagura from Gintama) doing a great job, and even the scarier Unbound comes across as quite adorable when it isn't evil. I also love the upbeat Ending theme, and this is really a film that would've done better I think if it stayed focused on Hoopa instead of adding in, well, everything else. Outside of the film Hoopa got quite a lot of promotion before the film aired including multiple comedic shorts demonstrating its abilities, a special episode available to those who bought tickets to the film, and later on the official site, showing more of its past, and it appearing during the Oak Lecture segments. All of this was probably an attempt to further increase the tickets sold and since it didn't work our next Mythical Pokemon ended up getting none of this.

gardfish

Hoopa Unbound is such a cool Pokemon, and honestly the only mythical I really liked from Gen VI. The weird floating arms, the way he attacks, he's a fantastic take on a malevolent djinn--plus his cry is TERRIFYING. I love it.

This is admittedly a pretty pointless complaint, but I kinda feel that Hoopa should've been #721 in the Kalos dex instead of the next Pokemon. Gens 3-5 all had these cool, strong, and unique Pokemon as their climax, and I feel that Hoopa Unbound fits that mold better than the next one, whose only saving grace is having a unique typing (for now, anyway).

brinstar

Hoopa's pretty awesome, one of the few mythicals I've come to really like. I just wish it had more of a presence in the game-- I really loved how they used it to explain where all the legendaries were coming from in OR/AS but I wish it had more of a quest to it when you finally obtain one yourself, oh well.

jnWake

I had no idea Hoopa was the reason behind those rings in ORAS. They just seemed awfully convenient to me haha.

I wish GameFreak did more in-game events for legendaries. Putting Deoxys front and center in the Delta Episode was a really nice surprise so I hope we get more of that in the future.

Would it be that ridiculous if Game Freak said something like the new zone has mystical properties that makes Pokemon evolve at different levels? I don't think it's that huge of an asspull and it gives Pokemon with ridiculous level requirements (mostly gen 5) more time to shine.

Malrend

I remember when Mini-Hoopa's visuals were first leaked.
Looked absolutely horrendous.. I've grown to like him though.

Hoopa Unbound is just badass.
Sadly it seems that the 20th Anniversary Hoopa doesn't count towards the Prison Bottle event, which made me sad.

Don't much care for Hoopa at all but I really dig Unbound, may favourite legendary/mythical from Gen 6 (sort of damning with faint praise but hey he's cool).

Nice for GF to just give Hoopa away through wi-fi mystery gift, I swear they usually make mythicals take more hoops (ho ho) to jump through.

CazTGG

Hoopa's regular form is...okay? It doesn't leave much of an impression, not that the Unbound form is altogether great. Honestly, none of the Legendary Pokémon this generation do anything for me aside from making me look forward to Sun & Moon in the hopes that their roster of Legendaries will be better than this.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I would love to be able to get a non-hacked Hoopa with better than decent stats. Unbound is so menacing, I get a real Akuma from Street Fighter vibe from it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sweet Hoopa on my birthday, now I can make so many wishes.

Anyway, I like Hoopa and his interesting gimmick...his movie sucked though due to it be a snooze fest.

Like Diancie there was quite a few rumors involving Hoopa and how one could legitimately obtain one through a variety of methods inspired by the various oddly empty areas dotted around Kalos, the Chamber of Emptiness on Route 22 be a popular speculated location, but of course it turned out that there was no legitimate way to obtain Hoopa in-game.

I am still baffled to what the Chamber of Emptiness is, along with the locked power plants door on route 13.

Kalos had so many unanswered question that aren't going to get explained.

The mythicals of this gen feel so forgettable.
I really hope next gen brings back story events for them.

Agreed, the past event Pokémon were tied into the Pokémon world and starting from gen 2 would unlock in-game events.

But the gen 6 event Pokémon were just straight up given to you and you would just get told their lore leaving very little to see.

It also doesn't help that aside from Diancie none of the other event Pokémon really tie into Kalos.

Rutger

Banned
Oh, I forgot about this thread...
I'm not going to bother going over what I missed, I don't think I have a lot to say about the ones I missed.

So Hoopa, I like both forms designs and has some cool typings. It's an event legendary though, so not something I can use in the main games or netplay, but I don't like it so much that I'm sad about it, so oh well.

e105zeta

Neo Member
My favorite Mythical Pokemon, its movie just made both forms so damn lovable and it has a really creative and Pokemon design that still "feels" like a Pokemon. My only complaint is that the floaty arms make the Hoopa merchandise look really silly.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To this day I am laughing at all the negativity of the Hoopa film. Like, the "negativity" seems senseless.

Malrend

The Hoopa movie was far from being the best pokemon movie I've seen, but it was great for what it was... Legendary pokemon combat porn.

Can't believe it took so long to get a Ghost/Psychic

Seems like a fairly obvious type combination

Hyperspace Fury is an attack that is only possible in 3D games. It never really would have visually worked as well in the 2D games.

Watch Da Birdie

hB0qFxF.png

#721 - Volcanion
Fire/Water

Our final Mythical Pokemon of Generation VI, and numerically the final Pokemon officially available, though not the last one for the purpose of this thread, Volcanion to put it nicely is a rather underwhelming Mythical Pokemon. While the previous Generations saved the best Mythical Pokemon for last---a robotic weaponized ancient bug, a shape-shifting alien virus, and the God of Pokemon perhaps---Generation VI finishes off with what could best be called the Mythical equivalent of Heatran, but even Heatran I think has more lore connected to it than Volcanion. That's not to say I think Volcanion is a bad Pokemon, quite the opposite I think its design is actually pretty neat and it has a Type Combination that everyone has been waiting for, but it just feels shoved into the end of the PokeDex without much thought. Diancie was a cool little pseudo-evolution of a Kalos Pokemon and Hoopa served an interesting role gameplay wise in explaining how all the Legendary Pokemon could be found in Hoenn, but Volcanion has no in-game presence whatsoever and one really has to wonder if this is another casualty of the disappointingly short Generation VI. Given its design and inspiration, as we'll go into detail more later, it honestly seems like Volcanion would've fit much better into the Alola Region and I was actually wondering if it was gonna unlock something by transferring it from Generation VI to Generation VII but, alas, so far it doesn't seem like Volcanion is getting any role in Sun and Moon.

Like with Genesect The Pokemon Company pushed Volcanion's reveal up a bit (though of course it'd been leaked way back in 2013), usually the Mythical Pokemon have their films revealed around December, sans the actual Mythical Pokemon, and then the Mythical Pokemon themselves are revealed early next year but for Volcanion they revealed it alongside the initial announcement of its feature film in December 2015. In retrospect this was obviously done due to the fact that the new Generation VII Mythical Pokemon Magearna was the actual star of the film, and that the Sun and Moon hype would be well underway by the usual reveal period for Volcanion if The Pokemon Company had followed the usual schedule, and they wanted to give Volcanion some chance to shine before it got buried under all the Gen VII hype. I'd say they pretty much failed as no one really seems interested in Volcanion now, and even poor Magearna has basically been forgotten about since it's barely been involved in the Sun and Moon media and appears to have a rather underwhelming role in the game as a (seemingly) storyless Event Pokemon.

At the time of this post Volcanion is still a fairly rare Pokemon to obtain legitimately, Japanese players who pre-ordered tickets to the 19th Pokemon film, "Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel", being able to obtain it via serial codes starting in April thus the majority of legit ones being the Japanese "Nebel Volcanion". PAL just got access to Volcanion at the beginning of October through a simillar method, though the serial codes will be distributed at various stores instead of through tickets, and North America can't obtain their serial codes from GameStop/EBGames till October 10th. I usually don't really bother with distributions that aren't simple WiFi Events, and even then I tend to forget about them quite often, but I kind of want to make sure to swing by GameStop this time around to pick up Volcanion since I plan to finally complete the PokeDex in Sun and Moon. I probably won't go through with it, I've got a lot of distractions and despite being really into Pokemon a small fraction of my love is spent actually playing the games, but it's a goal I have now that I've "talked about 'em all". Anyway Volcanion is just given to you via serial code and has no in-game event in XY or ORAS, and I'm gonna guess probably won't have any special event in Sun and Moon either because they probably would've mentioned it by now to sell more tickets to the film like how they advertised the Zoroark film's Shiny Beasts link bonus as one of the first reveals in Black and White's coverage.

Volcanion is a rather ho-hum Mythical Pokemon who doesn't really fit neatly into any category that Mythical Pokemon usually fall into. Though Generation VI's other Mythical Pokemon are also somewhat unique, they fit neatly with pre-established Mythical roles I think, Diancie seeming like an expansion of the Meloetta-style that has since been taken up by Magearna as well while Hoopa serves double-duty in both of its Formes as acting like a cute Mew-style Legendary and a more vicious Deoxys-style Legendary. Volcanion on the other hand just seems like his own thing, a 600-BST Mythical Pokemon with a unique Type Combination in Fire/Water, one of those "paradoxical" Type Combinations that some fans believed would never happen because it "didn't make any sense", even though that seemed like a flawed mindset to have when dealing with Pokemon. It also means that Water, along with Flying, has now officially been paired with every Type at least once and that's neat for completion's sake and not too surprising when you consider how many Water Pokemon there are. Fire/Water is a surprising Type Combination because while many fans associate Water Pokemon with being Super Effective against Ground and Rock Pokemon, they aren't advantageous against them defensively and thus Volcanion's Fire-type makes it weak to both of those Types in addition to Electric. It's one Type Combination I never really considered in terms of weaknesses and resistances and I was rather surprised when I looked them up as they aren't too intuitive, like it resists Bug and Fairy (oh yeah Fire resists those) and doubly resists Fire, Ice, and Steel.

Outside of being the first Fire/Water Pokemon Volcanion is rather restrained for a modern Mythical Pokemon due to having no gimmick, when that has become a trademark of Mythical Pokemon since Deoxys. Excluding Darkrai, we've had a sea angel obtained through a spin-off that can breed, a hedgehog that learns to fly, a God who can become any Type, a Pokemon that exists as #000 in the Unova Dex, a legendary swordsman who can power up (aesthetically), a dancer that can switch styles through the use of a song, and a robotic bug that can equip various discs to access different elemental attacks. Volcanion has none of that, and I do wonder if at one point it was planned to just be a regular Legendary Pokemon with a minor role till Game Freak decided to trim down the in-game Legendaries to a mere three. I wondered if we'd see a new form for it in the movie that would appear in Sun and Moon, a Legendary Pokemon not having an alternate Forme feels weird in this day and age, but that didn't happen. It doesn't get a crazy Ability either, just ending up with Water Absorb which, while useful, isn't necessarily special or amazing. Imagine if it had some Ability that switched Fire attacks to Water attacks and vice-versa, or caused every Water-type attack it used to have a chance of burning the foe. That'd be pretty interesting.

In the competitive scene Volcanion is at least a pretty powerful Pokemon in no small part thanks to its awesome offensive STAB and access to its Signature Move Steam Eruption, a more powerful version of Scald with the same deadly 30% chance of causing a Burn which can bring physically-oriented Pokemon to their knees. Though its weaknesses hurt it as you'd imagine, being weak to Stealth Rock and Earthquake is never a good thing, and it's rather slow, it's an all-around solid Pokemon with Water Absorb granting it a great immunity. And considering how otherwise "meh" it is in terms of how people react to it it should be lucky that it's got a nice competitive niche going for it. That aside being a Mythical Pokemon means that using it in certain situations is either banned or frowned upon and I imagine most fans would love to see this Type used once more on a non-Legendary Pokemon that would have more in-game usage, it's always nice when a previously reserved-for-Legendary Type is given to a regular Pokemon. Once more I don't think Fire/Water, or Water/Fire, is necessarily a difficult concept to realize either though a steam-based Pokemon is good choice for its debut.

All this aside I cannot reiterate that I do actually consider Volcanion to have a fairly neat design, a nice blend of an organic creature with some mechanized elements that for me personally hits a nice sweet spot, though I'm aware many disagree and it's yet another Pokemon that fans can't help but compare to a Digimon. The cool design makes me wish that it wasn't a Legendary Pokemon at all, rather I think its design would've worked well as a single-stage non-Legendary Pokemon because I'd love to see more single-stagers that embody a cooler, more ferocious appearance rather than looking cute like many single-stage Pokemon tend to aim for. I feel like Generation I had the best mix of single-stage (many of them now multi-stage though) Pokemon that embodied both aesthetics and to me it feels like there's been a noticeable shift since Generation II towards making non-evolving Pokemon mainly cute and tiny, though we still have some exceptions here and there. Alongside Furfrou, Dedenne, Carbink, Hawlucha, and Klefki Volcanion would've served as a nice palette cleanser and if it was available to use in normal gameplay as a regular Pokemon I would probably consider giving it a shot especially with its unique Type Combination. But, alas, for whatever reason it was chosen to be a Mythical Pokemon with virtually no "mythical" qualities surrounding it.

And that's not an exaggeration, as far as I know there's no information about this Pokemon hinted at in any Generation VI game, and the PokeDex barely tells us anything other than it can use the arms on its back (which in the art are connected together as a ring, though they can freely separate and move independently) to expel steam that's extremely pressurized and it lives in dense fog hidden in a remote mountain far away from humans, though no such mountain in Kalos or Hoenn fits this description well enough to be considered a possible home for it. For awhile it was believed it was actually connected to Lumiose City, due to people thinking that the NPC mentioning a "Lava Dome" Pokemon in Jaune Plaza was referencing it (actually a weird mistranslated line about one NPC mimicking Heatran's voice), or resided in the locked parts of the Lumiose Power Plant but that doesn't seem to be the case. Why does it seemingly dislike humans? It's never really explained, but I wonder if perhaps humans in the past attempted to use Volcanion's steam powers for their own benefit causing it to resent humanity---that's just my head-canon though, there's nothing to support that. Just kind of feels weird to me that such a mechanized-looking Pokemon's main piece of lore is "mistrustful of humans" when it looks like one who'd probably have a connection to them.

Outside of the obvious steam pump motif, Volcanion appears to possibly be inspired by the lion-dog Shisa statues popular in the Ryukyuan Islands of Japan as it somewhat resembles one in form and color, the circular pump perhaps meant to loosely resemble a traditional Japanese archway though that's admittedly a bit of a stretch. I'm not sure why they decided to link the Shisa with steam pumps either, it's kind of an odd mix, but that's the best explanation I've seen explaining why Volcanion looks the way that it does. This also once more makes me think it would've worked far better as an Alolan Pokemon since Alola has quite a lot of Pokemon that are based on animals from other notable islands outside of Hawaii, such as a koala from Australia and a lemur from Madagascar, and thus a Pokemon based on statues found primarily on Japanese islands would be a logical fit---it's believed that Togedemaru is based on the Ryukyuan spiny rat, for instance, so we already have one Ryukyuan-based Pokemon appearing. Plus, you know, a Fire/Water Pokemon with "volcano" in its name is the most obvious Pokemon to use in a Hawaiian-inspired locale that you can imagine. Maybe Game Freak will surprise me and they'll give Volcanion a surprise role in Alola that finally fleshes out its lore, but I'm not too optimistic even though Sun and Moon has been delivering quite a lot of nice surprises and picking up elements seemingly dropped in XY.

So, Volcanion starred in the 19th Pokemon film but as that only recently came out in Japanese theaters I've yet to see it and thus I can't say much about it, other than it looks honestly like a pretty fun movie and it was a nice surprise to see all of Ash's Pokemon contributing for once since a big problem I have with recent moves is often it seems like the main cast forgets about their own Pokemon even when they'd be useful. From what I've read Volcanion is a misanthropic Pokemon that lives in plateau for abused Pokemon and sets off to rescue the mechanical Pokemon Magearna, with Ash in tow after the two end up getting literally connected to one another by a strange magnetic advice. Spoilers, but Volcanion learns that not all humans are bad and everything works out in the end for the good guys. I don't mean to sound dismissive of this film because I'm honestly interested in seeing it for myself, it looks like a decent enough romp judging from the trailers and might end up being the best of the Generation VI films.

But oh boy, much like Volcanion itself The Pokemon Company just left this film to die basically as it released on the same day as Finding Dory hit Japan, and Pixar movies do just as good over there as they do domestically, and even more of a death sentence it released on the day Yokai Watch 3 hit Japan. Ouch. From what I've read they didn't try and market this movie at all basically compared to the previous films, with little merchandise appearing in Japanese 7-11s around its premiere (One Piece Gold merchandise taking its place instead) and Volcanion not receiving any extra special episodes like Diancie and Hoopa did. The team didn't take a vacation for location scouting either, and as Dogasu notes on his site this film received far less interviews and behind-the-scenes features on the official site. It also lacked a Pikachu Short, apparently because the last one with all the Pokemon singing was quite a challenge for the team to create, though perhaps those extra minutes for the main film helped its plot? Regardless of the movie's actual quality in the end it did even worse than the Hoopa film, which by Pokemon standards was a flop, and many believe the movie was hurt by OLM saving their budget for next year's 20th Anniversary Movie. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Sun and Moon's style of animation given a movie-size budget, and I hope them taking a year off of sorts with this film will allow them to deliver a legitimately nice experience for Pokemon Fans.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This thread just reminded me that I need to go and pick up my Volcanion code.

Honestly all Volcanion has going for it is his unique typing, he doesn't feel like an event Pokémon, has no baring in the Kalos region and its lore, doesn't unlock a new event within the game and was quickly revealed and forgotten as Game Freak decided to move on to gen 7.

I mean they could have easily had it that Volcanion unlocked a new area on Route 13 but nope those lock door serve nothing more than a cock tease and a painful reminder of how Kalos feels underwhelming and how it will never reach its full potential due to Game Freak cutting its life short.

The next set of Pokémon are treated even worse during their time in Kalos.

brinstar

I always forget this guy even exists. It's like they revealed it just to shove it aside for Sun/Moon hype. No special formes, no Mega Evolution, no nothing.

And why does it hold down the last slot in the Pokedex? Almost feels like it and Hoopa should've switched slots.

Volcanion is the very reason GameFreak needs to chill out with Legendary and Mythical Pokemon. I like him well enough but at a certain point, these types of Pokemon are going to get the short end of the stick and end up not having a "place" within the Pokedex.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What I like about Volcanion in the movie is that they actually gave him a thug-like voice. It's a first for Pokemon I think, usually legendaries have a regal/refined voice or a cutesy voice.

Watch Da Birdie

This isn't entirely true. There are small in-game events that get triggered by Volcanion in both X/Y and OR/AS if you bring one to either the Mauville TV station or Lumiose Press.

Really, never heard of that...what happens exactly?

EDIT: Oh, so Volcanion is the Pokemon the Editor In Chief went looking for, I always assumed it was Zygarde.

Really, never heard of that...what happens exactly?

EDIT: Oh, so Volcanion is the Pokemon the Editor In Chief went looking for, I always assumed it was Zygarde.

There's also a secret Hoopa event in X/Y that I've never actually seen anyone mention, so it's not that surprising. It's nothing too exciting, but it is some small presence in X/Y...

javadoze

I always liked the idea of Volcanion, but again, like Hoopa and Diancie, it barely gets touched upon in XY. As a region that's starved for some unique mythical/legendary pokemon with some presence in the world, Kalos really got the short end of the stick.

GoldStarz

This isn't entirely true. There are small in-game events that get triggered by Volcanion in both X/Y and OR/AS if you bring one to either the Mauville TV station or Lumiose Press.

There's also a secret Hoopa event in X/Y that I've never actually seen anyone mention, so it's not that surprising. It's nothing too exciting, but it is some small presence in X/Y...

What's Volcanion's ORAS thing and Hoopa's XY thing? I never heard of those before.

I always forget this guy even exists. It's like they revealed it just to shove it aside for Sun/Moon hype. No special formes, no Mega Evolution, no nothing.

And why does it hold down the last slot in the Pokedex? Almost feels like it and Hoopa should've switched slots.

Not all events legendaries have M-Evos or special formes.

Top Bottom