• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Crayolan

everything looks better in sprite form

DiGDuGB.png
wSEvoKo.png
B95MGSi.png

I actually really like that Zekrom sprite. Needs GSC coloring though.

brinstar

and Gen 6 went all to 3D and I think lost some character in the transition.

I thought the battles in Gen 6 looked gorgeous, but the overworld and NPC's are so... I dunno... cheap looking? I think things got better a bit in OR/AS but I'm interested in how they make it look in Gen 7 with more power under the hood.

Anth0ny

I seriously don't understand how you were supposed to catch a Tauros in the Safari Zone in gen 1.

I always just used the cinnabar coast trick to catch safari zone pokemon outside of the safari zone.

like... it's gonna take you 50000 random encounters for the rare as fuck Tauros to even appear. Then, you have one of three options:

1. throw bait. Tauros runs away.

2. throw a rock. Tauros runs away.

3. throw safari ball. you're not going to catch the fucker. Tauros runs away.

enter another 3 hours of trying to get tauros to appear. rinse and repeat.

you'd think this mother fucker is as strong as mewtwo with how hard it is to catch one of them, legit.

Rhyhorn is like one of my top 10 Pokemon designs

And then Rhydon just fucks it up

And then Rhyperior takes a big stinking shit on it

god damn the gen 4 evolutions of gen 1 pokemon were all SO GROSS

well besides the new eeveelutions they coo

Ezalc

Tauros is one of my favorite pokemon, the fact that he never got an evolution that is like Normal/Steel or something where his horns and those three dots on his head become some kind of battle helm is a travesty. I also feel like it should get a baby version, I love it so much. Wish it had a better "signature move" than something like take down too.

Anth0ny

Tauros is one of my favorite pokemon, the fact that he never got an evolution that is like Normal/Steel or something where his horns and those three dots on his head become some kind of battle helm is a travesty. I also feel like it should get a baby version, I love it so much. Wish it had a better "signature move" than something like take down too.

baby tauros would be hella cute

vLEQidV.png

useless, but cute!

Mr-Joker

Banned
I remember being sad that there wasn't anything special for completing the Pokédex. Glad that's no longer true.

I honestly only did it to see if the rumour that completing the Pokédex gave you a Mew or at least a battle with Professor Oak.

All I got was a freaking diploma that I couldn't even do anything with. ¬_¬;

I thought the battles in Gen 6 looked gorgeous, but the overworld and NPC's are so... I dunno... cheap looking? I think things got better a bit in OR/AS but I'm interested in how they make it look in Gen 7 with more power under the hood.

Agreed, the Pokémon model and battle animation is good. But the over world and that NPC model just don't look right and not as lively as past games.

They feel off and I hope that Game Freak improve on that.

Dryk

This reminds me, I saw a girl wearing an Umbreon Hoodie the other day, took me a moment to realise why the outfits visual flourishes looked so oddly familiar to me, it's like stealth game related attire.
Mine's considerably less stealth because my ex made it* and included the ears and tail. If I had sewing skills I'd probably try to modify it so they could be removed and reattached and then wear it all the time :p

*and the framed picture, and brought me the plushie back from Osaka

EDIT: Also a girl I know was wearing a similar hoodie (ears, no tail) once and it still took me a while to place it. Umbreon's flourishes are really awesome like that.

Azure J

Umbreon has long been my favourite Eeveelution.

197Umbreon_BW_anime.png

Jolteon is my favorite Eeveelution
and electric type Pokemon
by far and overall, but Umbreon gives it a run for its money in the design area. I never really liked tanky type Pokemon though so it's stats and move pool did nothing for me personally.

Dryk

Jolteon is my favorite Eeveelution
and electric type Pokemon
by far and overall, but Umbreon gives it a run for its money in the design area. I never really liked tanky type Pokemon though so it's stats and move pool did nothing for me personally.
I've never been able to use Umbreon properly, but that doesn't stop it being my favourite :p

Ultratech

Used a Tauros once in Crystal. Completely destroyed almost everything with just Strength and Thrash.

The only notable one I remember was from Stadium in the final battle of the R2 Prime Cup, Master Ball which was a total pain-in-the-ass to take down.

It was a beast back in the early days.

So I never gave Black 2 a chance because I absolutely hated White.

But for the heck of it, I booted up Black 2, which had sat on my shelf, unopened since it was released. Not even sure why I bought it, but I did, and hadn't even opened it.

Wow, kind of disappointed I didn't try it earlier. It solved my biggest issue with White right off the bat (unfamiliar Pokemon). So from there I was pleased and continued on.

I also was wondering why the heck the game is giving me Riolu, Mareep, Psyduck and Azurill on the first route. That's madness I thought, these Pokemon all become excellent Pokemon, they're not at all early game Pokemon.

And then I said "pfft, I have Riolu and Mareep, how could I possibly lose to the first gym" and then I lost to the first gym.

This game is certainly the most challenging Pokemon game I've played. It seems to know that as well, as they throw these Pokemon that are usually mid/late game at you right off the bat and just basically skip all the early game fluff Pokemon.

Flaafy, Riolu, Venipede, Oshawott, Pidove and Azurill is my current team, although I only use the first four. Late game Ampharos, Lucario and Samurott seems like it'll work out really well, but it's insane I got these Pokemon on the third route of the game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
And then I said "pfft, I have Riolu and Mareep, how could I possibly lose to the first gym" and then I lost to the first gym.

This game is certainly the most challenging Pokemon game I've played. It seems to know that as well, as they throw these Pokemon that are usually mid/late game at you right off the bat and just basically skip all the early game fluff Pokemon.

Ha ha yep Cheren is no joke and is probably the hardest first gym leader in the series. And some folk like to act that the game has always been easy.

Anyway I am glad that you're enjoying the game because gen 5 is a great series and the story is really good.

Plus some of the new Pokémon are great as well and I like how in Black and White you could only use them.

Plus some of the new Pokémon are great as well and I like how in Black and White you could only use them.

This is why I didn't like Black and White. Nothing made me happier in B2 than walking up and seeing a herd of Mareep. It was then that I knew this game was going to be okay.

I don't mind Gen Vs Pokemon when they aren't forced on me over old familiar faces.

Ha ha yep Cheren is no joke and is probably the hardest first gym leader in the series. And some folk like to act that the game has always been easy.

Anyway I am glad that you're enjoying the game because gen 5 is a great series and the story is really good.

And then you get the second gym where you can cheese it with no problem by just catching a nearby magnemite

Mr-Joker

Banned
This is why I didn't like Black and White. Nothing made me happier in B2 than walking up and seeing a herd of Mareep. It was then that I knew this game was going to be okay.

I don't mind Gen Vs Pokemon when they aren't forced on me over old familiar faces.

I think that I liked it because I got what Game Freak was going for in that Unova was a far away region so it would have a different set of Pokémon and that the Pokémon we knew were either uncommon or rare.

But I get why some people didn't like it, no-one likes not being able to see your favourite Pokémon.

Heck I remember feeling like that in gen 3 before Fire Red and Leaf Green got released.

Heck I remember feeling like that in gen 3 before Fire Red and Leaf Green got released.

I remember resetting my GCN several times just to get female Shadow Pokemon in Coliseum because Ditto didn't exist yet. I got a female Croconaw on my first try and man that was a relief.

How could they make a game with breeding and not include Ditto. How did we ever survive? I just remember being so frustrated at not having Ditto in Ruby/Sapphire. He was the first Pokemon I moved over to Ruby once I beat FR.

Mr-Joker

Banned
And then you get the second gym where you can cheese it with no problem by just catching a nearby magnemite

Ha ha, I guess Game Freak felt guilty for giving players a hard first gym leader and holding back the TM for Rock Smash, a useful TM that would have been helpful over the TM for Frustration. ¬_¬;

I remember resetting my GCN several times just to get female Shadow Pokemon in Coliseum because Ditto didn't exist yet. I got a female Croconaw on my first try and man that was a relief.

How could they make a game with breeding and not include Ditto. How did we ever survive? I just remember being so frustrated at not having Ditto in Ruby/Sapphire. He was the first Pokemon I moved over to Ruby once I beat FR.

Ah yes, I remember those days. Those were the dark days. *shudders*

Apparently it was also hard to complete the Pokédex in gen 3 as the Pokémon was spread out across different versions and this was before the GTS and Wi-Fi trading was a thing.

Seil

Well you didn't try to bait an attack to use Counter with Riolu, three times, allowing his Lillipup to get +3 attack up. Which then allowed him to OHKO all 6 of your Pokemon.

Because doing that would be a good way to lose.

No I probably leveled it up til it got a better fighting type attack, or just brute forced it otherwise with a starter. I actually forgot Cheren was even the first gym leader entirely, despite playing through BW2 at least 3 times lol, so he must have never made an impact on me =p

I'm on the side of "Pokemon games have never really been hard" and I feel most perceived difficulty is on the player since I've steamrolled any given game focusing entirely/almost entirely on my starter. Gen VI's exp share just reduced the grinding making focusing on larger teams during the campaign less of a hassle. Spreading your focus out too much means you have to spend more time leveling or you're gimping yourself. GSC/HGSS are fairly "punishing" in this regard if someone actually falls into that trap.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Maybe it's just me but I don't seem to remember having trouble with Cheren.

Well in my Black 2 version I didn't have much of a trouble as I had Azurill with huge power and frustration and a Tepig with ember who burned Cheren's Lillipup thus cutting its attack in half.

But in my White 2 version I did have some trouble as my Pidove and Snivy struggled to take them down.

It was thanks to my Sunkern that we were able to take him down, yes I used a Sunkern on my team.

So basically it depends on your team and your play style is where the real difficultly comes from.

Azuran

Banned
Well you didn't try to bait an attack to use Counter with Riolu, three times, allowing his Lillipup to get +3 attack up. Which then allowed him to OHKO all 6 of your Pokemon.

Because doing that would be a good way to lose.

Doesn't Riolu learn Force Palm like really early? Like I just can't believe you actually lost to Cheren when using one.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Riolu/Lucario have some of the best level up moves in the entire series and quite possibly the best move pool of any pokemon besides Mew.

Starmie's got the best moves for his role, no doubt about that, but the sheer variety of good moves a Lucario can use is staggering. So many different high powered attacks you can use.

I'd say Arceus has a much better move pool

That said, best move pool by default goes to smeargle

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I do love Nidoking's amazing move pool. Remember fondly getting completely stomped by a friend's special one last generation.

Dad

Hm what is this?

Boost the AI, levels, and number of Pokemon for certain trainers in the game. It's a good idea that is locked behind an incredibly arbitrary "fuck you" system that involves having to beat and link up the games to play Challenge Mode at all in White 2.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Boost the AI, levels, and number of Pokemon for certain trainers in the game. It's a good idea that is locked behind an incredibly arbitrary "fuck you" system that involves having to beat and link up the games to play Challenge Mode at all in White 2.
White 2 only? Da fuck?

Crayolan

White 2 only? Da fuck?

You get the challenge mode key for beating the main story in Black 2, meaning you can play the post game in challenge mode (though you'll be hit with a roughly 10 level jump if you switch over).

In White 2 when you beat the main story you get the easy mode key, which is as worthless as it sounds. If you want to play challenge mode in any capacity in White 2, you need someone else to send you a key. Likewise if you want to play the main story in Black 2 in challenge mode you need someone who has already beaten the game to send you a key.

I don't know if it's possible to just reset your save once you beat the game in black 2 to play through again in challenge mode, I've heard that the key data is also tied to the save data.

Dad

White 2 only? Da fuck?

Black 2 unlocks Challenge Mode by beating the game, White 2 unlocks Easy Mode by beating the game. You can only play the opposite by linking the games and swapping keys or some other arbitrary, convoluted nonsense. It's probably the GameFreakest idea GameFreak has ever had

Top Bottom