• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

V2BravoV1-4.gif

Ampharos is a reliable dude. I always enjoy it using it. Probably one of my favorite Pokemon actually.

This gif alone is enough reason for Mega Ampharos to exist.

jnWake

I love Ampharos. I don't care that it drops the sheep design because it looks very good IMO.

Mega Ampharos is also cool. The hair/wool/whatever is glorious, although the Dragon typing seems a bit overkill. I'm honestly not a fan of Megas changing types. Stats and abilities are enough for me.

PK Gaming

Mega Ampharos was a Pokemon that took me a while to come around

Wasn't feeling the design at first, but I "got it" eventually. The fact that it was a combination of 2 of my favorite types, in addition to being fun to use sealed the deal

CazTGG

I personally love Mareep and its evolutionary line (used one on my team whenever I could either catch or breed one), but I loathe its Mega Evolution. The whole point of Mareep evolving was that it lost its wool, so seeing the hair, let alone hair looking as ridiculous as it has that covers up its tail orb in what looks like a vanilla swirl with cherries, felt like a regression rather than an evolutionary step forward like other Megas like Mega Mawile getting a second mouth... thing or Mega Salamence fully filling its previous evolutions' flight desire by abandoning its feet (which yes are hidden by that weird strap but either way, it's not using them), not helped by becoming a Dragon-Type in what is easily the worst generation to be a Dragon-Type Pokémon.

Ain't no secret about it. Snatching a Zubat ASAP has always gotten me rewards thanks to learning Wing Attack so quickly.

- Fully evolved three stage evolution by level 23, you get Zubat so early that by the time it hits level 22, friendship should be high enough anyway. In Black 2, my Crobat was literally a Golbat for one battle.
- Wing attack just keeps going down in level, now Zubat gets it at level 13 lol. 60 base damage attack with STAB against an early game that's usually fighting and bug heavy.
- If that wasn't enough, B2/W2, Acrobatics TM 110 BP STAB attack sweet lord have mercy. Basically no downside either, because items aren't really required at all to do anything in story mode.
- Crobat has great story mode stats. Decent attack, excellent speed. Pretty much always goes first and you can run from basically every wild Pokemon
- Confuse ray by the early 20s to cheese the CPUs
- Crobat can learn fly, RIP birds

By level 23 you can have a Pokemon with the same BST as Rhyperior, Noivern, Magnezone and Porygon-Z. 60bp STAB by mid 20s. 110 BP STAB move by the mid 30s (in gen 5 and beyond).

Game Freak pls

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Flaaffy and its line is high in my regard as my favorite Pokémon. Part of the reason I don't really like Crystal.

Absolutely adore this line.

Used an Ampharos in my very first Silver run as a kid, and again in SoulSilver. What a fucking majestic beast that guy is.

Ampharos was my second highest level when I beat Red in Silver. It was Jynx, then Ampharos, then Typhlosion, forgot the next 2 and my lowest level was Pupitar who clutched the win against his Snorlax.

Nightbird

I actually didn't knew how to obtain Ampharos until I played HG/SS.

I had a Mareep in my first Silver playtrough, and evolved it into Flaaffy, but it never went beyond level 27 before switching it for Raikou.

So it was kind of a schock for me to know that Ampharos was Flaaffys evolution xD

Ultratech

Ampharos was my second highest level when I beat Red in Silver.

Yup, same here.

Ampharos was pretty awesome in my first Silver run.
As soon as it evolved, it was a beast for the rest of the game.

Wasn't too happy the Mareep line was missing in Crystal.

- Fully evolved three stage evolution by level 23, you get Zubat so early that by the time it hits level 22, friendship should be high enough anyway. In Black 2, my Crobat was literally a Golbat for one battle.
- Wing attack just keeps going down in level, now Zubat gets it at level 13 lol. 60 base damage attack with STAB against an early game that's usually fighting and bug heavy.
- If that wasn't enough, B2/W2, Acrobatics TM 110 BP STAB attack sweet lord have mercy. Basically no downside either, because items aren't really required at all to do anything in story mode.
- Crobat has great story mode stats. Decent attack, excellent speed. Pretty much always goes first and you can run from basically every wild Pokemon

By level 23 you can have a Pokemon with the same BST as Rhyperior, Noivern, Magnezone and Porygon-Z. 60bp STAB by mid 20s. 110 BP STAB move by the mid 30s (in gen 5 and beyond).

Game Freak pls

Yep. Getting a Zubat ASAP in Gen 2 onwards was always a good decision.
(Except in FR/LG, where you get screwed over because of locked evos. Still decent as Golbat though.)
Loved getting Crobat early on and just wrecking stuff.

Locking the newer evos in FR/LG was ridiculous.

I realize it's a remake, but come on. Future remakes fully embraced new evolutions and treated them as if they had always been in that region's dex. Which is how it should work.

FR/LG was their first remake, and I think they may have did it a little too close to the original. In many parts, the game is basically just a tile to tile remake.

I think OR/AS went the opposite way. It didn't stick close enough to the originals, so many areas felt unfamiliar (like Mauville). HG/SS are the perfect balance of new and old.

The online trading helps a bit, but it still takes a major commitment to complete it. Don't get me started on the shiny ones.

Unfortunately, I never had friends who played pokemon past the Red/Blue/Yellow generation.

Once, I had the chance to caught a shiny fleebas, in Ruby, without knowing anything about him/her and the concept of shiny.

Years later, I realized how much of a pain he/she is to capture.

Ampharos is okay but count me as one who wishes that the sheep motif was pushed further, Mareep being my favourite of the line and I can still remember its "roar".

Without knowing the rest of Ampharos' line, you'd think it was a weird bipedal electric sea lion.

With Flaafy's rubber flesh, Ampharos actually seems like it would be rather good in the water. Its body is decently built for an aquatic mammal. Long, slender, flippers, flexible and with water resistant rubbery skin.

JGCD

Neo Member
Hey Watch Da Birdie long time lurker and finally approved for a account. I'm happy cause this is one of the best thread I have seen on here its super mellow and positive and just a warm happy feeling.

I checked out this thread everyday to cheer myself up cause its quite the pick me up.

Keep going strong my man

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ampharos is okay but count me as one who wishes that the sheep motif was pushed further, Mareep being my favourite of the line and I can still remember its "roar".

Well it's based on "electric sheep" from the "do robot dreams of electric sheep" stuff, and the mega from the wordplay (denryuu is its Japanese name).

Daemul

V2BravoV1-4.gif

Ampharos is a reliable dude. I always enjoy it using it. Probably one of my favorite Pokemon actually.

Dat hair flick always slays me.

In Gen II 115 spacial attack was still considered pretty high.

Ah them simple days, back when using one of the legendary beasts in a battle with friends was seen as cheating because they were "too OP". LOL!

Game Freak pls

My man. Crobat is soooo good in game. I used him for the first time ever in Black 2 since Freedombird is exclusive to White 2, and oh man, it becomes a powerhouse so damn quickly. No idea why I waited so long to use him, I think my hate of Zubat might have clouded my judgement.

Weebos

Banned
Legendary pokemon aren't still op?

There are two tiers of Legendary pokemon, those with 600 and under BST (trios like the birds, dogs, etc) and those above that.

The ones with 600 and under BST aren't overpowered, in fact most of them aren't even good.

The ones above that, like Kyogre, Mewtwo, and all that, are considered too strong. These ones are banned in most competitive formats.

Toxi

Banned
Legendary pokemon aren't still op?
Really depends on which legendary you're talking about.

Regigigas and Articuno are downright terrible.

Thundurus and Celebi and Terrakeon are badasses.

Mewtwo and Arceus are broken as hell.

And Mega Rayquaza is so broken it was banned from the tier with all the other broken Pokemon.

There are two tiers of Legendary pokemon, those with 600 and under BST (trios like the birds, dogs, etc) and those above that.

The ones with 600 and under BST aren't overpowered, in fact most of them aren't even good.

The ones above that, like Kyogre, Mewtwo, and all that, are considered too strong. These ones are banned in most competitive formats.

Although even among them, there are some like Kyurem that aren't that good

Macka

Ampharos is awesome. It used to be one of my all-time favourites back when Gold/Silver first came out, and while it has dropped a little over the years in that regard, I do still love it. Its' Mega Evolution is hilarious and very fitting imo.

Somewhat unrelated, but I think I used the most standard team ever when I first played Pokemon Gold:

1XAuMSJ.png
hHOejKw.png
eMALhSk.png
nB4lm8i.png
IIxXh5W.png
IAD0Rtu.png

Although once I got to Kanto I mixed things up a lot, and this was my team when I faced Red:

1XAuMSJ.png
eMALhSk.png
HwuwCgJ.png
YglR4hL.png
VEGoSdC.png
pmJ2Plz.png

Azure J

Ampharos was the Electric type I always carried with me into the E4 in vanilla Silver version. An electric type that didn't go first always was new for me, but slaying everything when he decided to say "fuck it" was the best.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm trying to remember what my original Gold team was. I'm pretty sure by the time I got to red it was

Spr_2g_154.png
Spr_2g_197.png
Spr_2g_073.png
Spr_2g_143.png
Spr_2g_181.png

Spr_2g_085_s.png

(yes that is shiny Dodrio, the first shiny I ever caught was a Doduo on my way to the Johto E4)

Toxi

Banned
Power creep is a bitch, it rendered many highly powerful Gen I, II and III Legendaries useless.
That, and also some of them (Like Entei and Regirock) weren't really good to begin with.

Poor Regice got hit HARD by the special/physical split.

The Regis not having Recover bothers me

Especially Regice, whose suppose to be a Special tank. But with no reliable recovery move.

Also
Spr_6x_378.png

Spr_6x_378_s.png

Uhh... they probably should fix Regice's shiny form

Toxi

Banned
The Regis not having Recover bothers me

Especially Regice, whose suppose to be a Special tank. But with no reliable recovery move.
Registeel with Recover would be kinda absurd.

But in a good way.

The real question is why the fuck Claydol doesn't learn Recover. Practically every goddamn Psychic type gets Recover, including Pokemon like Alakazam that get practically no use out of it, and yet Claydol doesn't learn it.

Azuran

Banned
That, and also some of them (Like Entei and Regirock) weren't really good to begin with.

Poor Regice got hit HARD by the special/physical split.

Hey let's not put Entei in the same group as Regirock. He's actually a decent legendary and even more so this gen after gaining both Sacred Fire and a new resistance.

Hollycat

My first Silver team was just a Dodrio and the traded Machoke from Goldenrod (don't do this and use him as your main, he can't solo for squat). I didn't even use the rest of my party. I actually forgot I even had typhlosion.

My Crystal party was a Meganium, a Pidgeot, an Espeon, I think suiccune, an Ampharos, and Tyranitar.

I'm trying to remember what my original Gold team was. I'm pretty sure by the time I got to red it was

Spr_2g_154.png
Spr_2g_197.png
Spr_2g_073.png
Spr_2g_143.png
Spr_2g_181.png

Spr_2g_085_s.png

(yes that is shiny Dodrio, the first shiny I ever caught was a Doduo on my way to the Johto E4)

I just looked up Dodrio's shiny coloring for current gen, and it's the same goddamned puke-green that is far too common.

PK Gaming

Let's see my final GSC team was...

157.gif
18.gif
28.gif
196.gif
149.gif
26.gif

I can still remember some of my nicknames too:

Typhlosion (Cynday)
Pidgeot (Flyer)
Sandslash: (Slash)
Espeon: ???
Dragonite (Tonight)
Raichu: (Riley)

I uh... wasn't a very creative or bright kid

Dad

I beat the E4 with nothing but a level 60 Ariados the first time I played Gold. I have no idea what I was doing

Top Bottom