• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Hand udders

Never liked these two at all. I usually just kind of forget they exist, as they're not really particularly easy to run into accidentally, and aren't particularly good at battling, nor well designed visually.

Ambipom also loses out on being a generation monkey because it came at the same time as Goku: The Pokemon

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
pxZoUI6.png

#191 - Sunkern
Grass

Generation II's Grass-type Pokemon for the most part kind of suck, and Sunkern represents this fact quite well---it has the lowest Base Stat Total of any Pokemon at 180, evenly distributed as 30 in each of its stats. Despite this, Sunkern isn't necessarily the weakest Pokemon out there as it has more use than Magikarp and the early Bug Pokemon due to learning some decent moves, but this is one Pokemon you'll want to evolve ASAP. Sunkern appears during the early hours at the National Park in Johto and is common enough if you happen to be passing through at the time, you shouldn't have an issue capturing one, but actually using one on your team probably isn't recommended. By that point a Pokemon with its stats just won't serve much use and you'll likely need to head to earlier Routes to grind it up to be worth using---and if you're planning on using one for the long term, you'll want to stick around the National Park for awhile as I'll explain later. But if you're an iconoclast looking for a challenge, by all means go ahead and use one. Sunkern does have one notable talent---it can completely max out all of its stats with proper training in HG/SS's PokeAthalon, a trait only shared with Mew and a few other Legendary Pokemon.

Like Hoppip, I think Sunkern is actually pretty cute despite its weaknesses and was one of the reasons I loved the Grass-type as a kid, though nowadays I've moved a bit more towards the Fighting-type. It also looks quite similar to Hoppip as I always pictured it using its leaf like a propeller to fly around the air, though it seems the various canons flip-flop on how it gets around. In the main games, the TCG, and in various anime episodes it seems to bounce around on the ground while in Stadium 2, and at other times in the show, it seems to hover slightly above the ground like Geodude. Judging by the PokeDex which says that it barely moves to conserve energy, I imagine the interpretation that it just kind of sits on the ground and hobbles around to move is probably accurate, though the PokeDex also says that sometimes they're known to fall from the sky, perhaps suggesting they can fly on gentle breezes for short distance. Though perhaps this is a result of Sunkern being picked up by Spearow and dropped when they try and free themselves before they're eaten. Sunkern is another simple Pokemon, basically a sunflower seed beginning to sprout, and there doesn't seem to be any additional motifs. I like it for its simplicity, though it lacks the quirkiness I described with Sudowoodo and Aipom.

Sunkern's only real anime appearance of note was in Johto during the "Articuno Arc" where Todd Snap (for some reason) returned. Ash and co. found it frozen in a mountain area known for being a gathering spot for Sunflora. The only thing of note really about this episode is a nice continuity nod---Ash had won a Sun Stone earlier in the season and actually used it here to evolve Sunkern, a neat throwback since it seems the show often just forgets the various prizes and such Ash picks up along his journey.

cnzwqRY.png

#192 - Sunflora
Grass

Sunkern like Gloom can evolve by using the new Sun Stone introduced in Generation II, evolving into Sunflora. Coincidentally, the National Park where you catch Sunkern is also the only place in Johto where you can obtain a Sun Stone by winning the Bug-Catching contest that takes place on Tuesdays, Thursday, and Saturdays. What this ultimately means is once more the player might not be too inclined to use Sunkern depending on when they obtain it, as if they want to use its evolved form, they'll need to make sure to wait around for the contest until they can win it, or try and remember to come back ASAP for a chance to grab the Sun Stone. But you might not want to bother, as while Sunflora does receive a stat boost, especially in its rather high Special Attack, it's a pretty weak Pokemon who isn't that "splashable", its true strengths only becoming apparent when it's on a team specifically built with a role for it. Sunflora focuses on the new "sunlight" mechanic introduced in Generation II learning the move "Sunny Day", which makes it possible to fire off single-turn Solar Beams, but also increases the power of Fire-type moves---so, yeah, that won't end well for the painfully slow Sunflora. In future games it gets various Abilities powering it up in the sun, but there are plenty of sun-abusing Pokemon worth using over it. If you do end up using one during your adventure in Generation II, you probably should evolve Sunkern right away---sure, Sunflora misses out on a couple of moves only Sunkern gets, but you really don't want to have to put up with grinding such a weak Pokemon when a stronger form is readily available.

So, yeah, Sunflora is another Johto Pokemon who sort of sucks in terms of its usage, but yet again I find it visually appealing as it's quite cute. Looking back at its original Gen II sprites, though, it kind of looked a bit evil with that Joker-grin going on, whereas in XY now its smile looks like a legit sign of friendliness and not indicative of a severe psychological disorder. I guess you could say Sunkern and Sunflora are almost kind of like the Magikarp-Gyrados family of Generation II, though to a lesser extent, due to the big gap between Sunkern and Sunflora's stats, and a big change in mass. But while I think many folks were surprised when Magikarp evolved into Gyrados, Sunkern to Sunflora feels more natural due to what they're based on, seed to flower, and they have enough visual similarity that if you saw them side-by-side without any context, you could probably figure out they were related to one another in some way, though you might think there's another form in between them.

Sunflora is of course a sunflower, and is all about that sun---it evolves via the Sun Stone, learns Sunny Day and Solar Beam, and basically lives off the sun's energy. Because of its connection the sun, for years I've wanted to see it get a Grass/Fire evolution that took the sun-motif even further by having its head basically become a miniature sun, especially since we've yet to have a Grass/Fire Pokemon for whatever reason, but Game Freak has yet to deliver. That sounds like possibly an easy enough motif to utilize with a Mega Evolution, and a 525 Mega Sunflora would allow it to hang with the higher-class non-Mega Pokemon at the very least. Oh my gosh!

I remember Sunflora's debut episode in Johto, "Grin to Win!", pretty well due to a scene where all the Sunflora became immobilized due to their heads growing huge due to focused sunlight, and it also introduced a running gag in the show where Meowth would dress up as a Sunflora, appearing at least twice Johto, Advanced, and Diamond and Pearl, which is neat to see a good gag like that be kept throughout the show but used sporadically enough it doesn't grow too old too fast like most running gags. In Diamond and Pearl, a reoccurring character, Nando, owned a Sunflora, though of all his Pokemon it played a pretty small role, and wasn't even used when he finally faced Ash at the Sinnoh League.

I think Sunflora was the first pokemon I actively disliked back in the day, people will give your double ice cream scoops and keychains a hard time these days and I suppose just having a sunflower with legs was my version of that back when the Gen 2 roster was being revealed.

Even now while I don't so much dislike it I look at the design and I'm thinking that it wasn't exactly the most productive day for pokemon design, a tubby sunflower...well okay then.
I feel like the concept could've been taken in a more intersting direction design wise.
Still Sunkern holds up quite well design wise when I compare it another basic seed pokemon like Ferroseed.

Man I'm just being a misery guts with this latest string of pokemon, fortunately I think more of my preferred designs are incoming, at the same time I was hating on Sunflora I was loving Wooper.

I never really realized how much junk Johto had in it until you list them out like this. This is back to back to back to back filler Pokemon. At least the next one has a good evolution and then we get to the cutest Johto Pokemon ever after that (and one of the cutest of all time), so it'll pick up I guess.

Heracross and Skarmory really carry the whole generation, though, as far as new Pokemon unrelated to old Pokemon. It wasn't until the fourth gen that the second gen really grew into itself. Gen 4 is like Gen 2 Part 2, filling in where Gen 2 desperately needed help.

Johto and Kanto were really filled with boring monsters imo...

The thing about Johto is, it's my favorite region and SS is my favorite Pokemon game, but the new Pokemon, unrelated to old Pokemon, are kind of bland with a few notable exceptions. They're also... well not very good and never really found their niche until many of them got new evolutions or megas.

Johto and Kanto were really filled with boring monsters imo...

Johto is probably worse due to Gen I's mechanics allowing a fair amount of Pokemon to be useful. Johto really did have the worst selection to work with, battle wise. Lots of them are really bad and it annoys me whenever I play the games. Not to mention how rare they are compared to the Kanto Pokemon on top of that.

Watch Da Birdie

Just subscribed to the thrad! Really nice and may help me out to figure out some pokemons while playing Omega Ruby.

A positive thing about ORAS is you have a decent selection (Hoenn probably had the largest Regional Dex all things considered until B2/W2 when you factor in all the National Dex Pokemon in G/S who were either unavailable, or not found till post-E4), and the DexNav allows you to get some good moves and Abilities on Pokemon who normally are a bit poor during the main adventure.

I wish the game was more challenging to make that fact stand out more though.

Toxi

Banned
^ Calling Sunflora junk? Okay lol...
It's worse than junk, because at least the junk Pokemon (Trubbish and Garbodor) are visually creative and interesting.

Sunflora's just bland. Compare it to Gloom and Vileplume; while those were also just walking flowers, they were based on a much more interesting plant (The Rafflesia flower) and had much more character (Gloom's hilarious expression and Vileplume's sinister edge).

It's worse than junk, because at least the junk Pokemon (Trubbish and Garbodor) are visually creative and interesting.

Sunflora's just bland. Compare it to Gloom and Vileplume; while those were also just walking flowers, they were based on a much more interesting plant (The Rafflesia flower) and had much more character (Gloom's hilarious expression and Vileplume's sinister edge).

Trubbish looks OK, but Garbodor is just so visually awful imo

Gen V is weird, because it has a bunch of amazing pokemon designs, but then it also has some of the worst designs in the series. I'd still put it over the general forgettableness of gen 2 pokemon though

Razmos

I've always loved Sunkern's design. It was a pokemon I caught because I thought it was super cute and it struck me as a pokemon that might evolve into something surprising and awesome.

It turned out to be neither of those things, but I have a soft spot for Sunflora regardless, and I like it as a likeable dex filler pokemon. I would love to use one if it got some buffs though.

Toxi

Banned
I've always loved Sunkern's design. It was a pokemon I caught because I thought it was super cute and it struck me as a pokemon that might evolve into something surprising and awesome.
Sunkern is definitely a nice design. Simple without being bland, with a unique profile from previous Grass types with its lack of limbs.

Trubbish looks OK, but Garbodor is just so visually awful imo
I will never understand people who don't love Garbodor's design.

Which means I don't understand like half the Pokemon fandom. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE SUCH AN ADORABLE FACE?

This thread is making me realize just how bad Gen 2's Pokemon were. Why was it that Gen 3 always got the hate?

because gen 2 dex still had all the gen 1 pokemon and let you go back to kanto in the post game

Gen 3 dex was mostly of new pokemon with the rest old pokemon and some people don't like hoenn that much

Toxi

Banned
Hoenn also had an insane amount of Water types that no one asked for.
Well it makes sense when Hoenn has so many water routes, and at least the Hoenn Water types are a diverse bunch... Too bad they fucked up the distribution so the only Water types you'll see most of the time are Tentacool, Wingull, Peliper, and Wailmer. At the very least they should have given you the Good Rod earlier so you wouldn't have to backtrack to grab Barboach.

WarAdept

I just recently used Jumpluff in my last HGSS run. While it lacked the ability to sweep, it's ability to fire off super fast Sleep Powders, stall with Leech Seed and Synthesis allowed me to get past multiple gyms and the Elite 4 (round 2 as well) with ease, despite being lower level most of the time. Love that Pokemon.

As for Sunflora, I remember trying him out in the old GS days. And again in ORAS. Yeah, it sucks. Really bad. At least Sunkern is cute.

brinstar

I will never understand people who don't love Garbodor's design.

Which means I don't understand like half the Pokemon fandom. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE SUCH AN ADORABLE FACE?
I'm always surprised at how finnicky Pokemon fans are. Maybe I'm just easy to please but there's very few Pokemon whose designs I straight up hate and I've enjoyed all the games (though I find the gold/silver worship very puzzling)

Macka

I like more Johto Pokemon than I dislike. This is just a bad stretch at the moment, and the Gen IV evolutions are making it seem even worse.

cM3GVUG.png

woopWOOP

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I love all those average joe Pokemon. Love the flying tomato, love the eternal happy sunflower with a belly and legs, love the smiley monkey with udders for tail-hands (okay I actually never noticed this before, it's kind of weird looking...).
I don't care if they aren't viable or whatever, a more diverse selection of Pokemon makes the world seem more vast with a huge history. Probably why I really like gen 2 aswell, it gave the Pokemon world cows and sheep (finally a Poke-farm makes sense!), owls, elephants, octopi, ferrets and bears.

Hoppip is cute as hell, but the evolutions are just really visually unappealing, Skiploom especially.

Aipom is also super cute, but good lord what even is Ambipom?

And I've always had a soft spot for Sunkern, yet another super cute Pokemon. Sunflora I have no strong feelings for either way.

Someone actually likes Pichu?

Someone actually dislikes Pichu?

Watch Da Birdie

QctWSS2.png

#193 - Yanma
Bug/Flying

Yanma is another Bug/Flying Pokemon, and like the large majority of Pokemon who can claim that Typing, he's really not all that strong, especially in Gold and Silver. In Generation II, Yanma only learned two STAB moves, Leech Life through breeding and Wing Attack by Level Up ONLY in Crystal, and in general his move set straight up sucked. While he's gotten better over the years due to actually getting good moves and Speed Boost for an Ability, using one in the original Gold and Silver wasn't recommended, and if you wanted to use one because you liked the design, tough luck, because this is another Pokemon with a 1% appearance rate outside of Swarms. Yanma was at his best in Generation IV incidentally when his evolution came and made him basically obsolete, but at least now he's a fun member to use during the adventure in newer games. Once more, a lot of weak, "pointless" Generation II Pokemon I actually like despite that fact---though I actually took a liking to Yanma far more once his awesome evolution happened in Generation IV.

Yanma's name is literally Japanese for "large dragonfly", and actually a shortening of his original Japanese name, "Yanyanma". I'm not sure if the extra "yan" really means anything or if the name is basically equivalent to our "Lickilicky", but it's another name change which seems kind of odd---why switch out one Japanese name for another? Yanma is a dragonfly, specifically Bulbapedia says the "red-veined darter" due to its coloring and the red markings on its wings, but I can't say for certainty if they're right since I'm not an etymologist. While the west associated dragonflies with, well, dragons, that doesn't seem to be present in the Japanese view of them, though they are important to the Japanese as cultural icons. In fact, one of the ancient names for Japan, Akitsushima, can be interpreted as meaning "dragonfly island", and it's said this is due to an ancient legend involving a dragonfly eating a mosquito who bit Japan's mythical founder, Emperor Jinmu. In the western world dragonflies have been associated with evil, specifically being linked to the devil due to their believed connection with snakes, but in Japan they're seen as representing Autumn and representing positive values such as courage and strength.

The two main elements of Yanma are its large eyes and its clear wings. It kind of weirds me out when I realize I've been looking at Yanma incorrectly and that green portion of his face isn't actually his head, but rather are his eyes and he's basically wearing green goggles---his head is actually red like the rest of his body. Like a real dragonfly, Yanma's eyes are super powerful and capable of seeing 360 degrees, making it a capable hunter and represented by one of its Abilities Compound Eyes which boosts the accuracy of moves. Yanma's clear wings allow it to move at great speeds, quickly changing direction on a dime, and flap so fast they can even generate shock waves causing glass to completely shatter. The sprites in the games actually do a pretty good job at making the wings appear transparent despite the graphical limitations, though other appearances tend to make them solid white, especially the show, but I imagine animating transparent wings is a pretty difficult task so I can't blame the animators for taking some liberties with its appearance. In addition to being a dragonfly, Yanma also seems to slightly resemble an old-school plane with its striped main wings and little tail wings, and its eyes could be seen as resembling aviator goggles.

Yanma's debut episode lived up to its claim of being able to shatter windows with its wings. Years later in Diamond and Pearl, Jessie ended up capturing one (by throwing a PokeBall at it after a kid had weakened it for her), and tried to send it to Giovanni as a gift, who had no use for it, so he sent it back to her. In its first battle under her control in that very episode, it happened to evolve due to knowing Ancient Power.

PGCrOD3.png

#469 - Yanmega
Bug/Flying

In Generation IV, a Yanma who learns Ancient Power and evolves becomes Yanmega. In Japan, it's known as "Megayanma", thus the first ever Mega Pokemon---well, not really, though it does sort of have that extreme overhaul and intimidating presence you might see in a Mega Pokemon. Little Yanma was never that strong but Yanmega makes up for that with all around great stats (though its Speed actually doesn't get any better, though it's decent) and the awesome Abilities Speed Boost, meaning it will soon become faster than any Pokemon almost if it can survive long enough, and Tinted Lens, which doubles the power of ineffective moves, meaning at worst you'll hit a dual-type Pokemon with a half-damage attack instead of a quarter-damage attack. Despite all this, Yanmega isn't totally invincible due to the fact Bug/Flying is a really shitty Type and prime Stealth Rock bait, not to mention weaknesses to Flying, Fire, Electric, and Ice. But it's a great asset during the main adventure now (if you can get Yanma first), and a really awesome Pokemon that made me like its original form much better in retrospect, and it's another Gen IV evolution I consider to be quite natural feeling despite having a more "unnatural" evolution method.

Like Tangrowth, Yanma evolves when it learns Ancient Power, and thus it can be said Yanmega is a Yanma who awakened ancient DNA buried deep within its genes. The "mega" part of the name isn't as dumb and uncreative as you might think, as it's derived directly from the extinct dragonfly relative the Meganeura, though the pun is more obvious with the original order of the Japanese name. Its color-scheme and general appearance also resembles that of the extant green darner dragonfly, one of the largest living members of the dragonfly family. The Meganeura wasn't technically a giant bug, as its body was actually smaller than various living beetles, but its wing-span was enormous at 25.6 inches thus giving the impression it was much larger than it really was---Yanmega on the other hand truly is gigantic at 6'03", the largest Bug-type Pokemon till Generation V happened. It's so big that it's said it can carry an adult male on its back, though it can't actually learn Fly. No one quite knows how or why the Meganeura grew so big, but a common, yet debated, theory involves the idea that Earth at one time in the past had a higher oxygen level making it capable for insects to grow larger, but this theory isn't accepted among many scientists it seems, though recently it seems to have gained more support. I'm not a scientist, but as a "normal guy" that explanation doesn't sound that far fetched to me and maybe one day we'll finally have a solid answer.

Yanmega is the RULES OF NATURE Pokemon. If you could say Yanma was a classic plane, Yanmega has basically turned into a fighter plane, with wings so large that when it takes off, it knocks over trees, and by flapping them it can destroy the internal organs of its opponent. Its main method of predation is quickly flying by the opponent and ripping their head off with its teeth, which is totally bad ass. This is the first Cross-Generation Generation IV evolution that I can't really find anything bad about in terms of design, it's pretty much perfect as an evolution to Yanma, and as a Pokemon in-and-of-itself. It's a big reason why I really love the new evolutions introduced in Generation IV.

Jessie's Yanma evolved into Yanmega in the episode it was captured in, and became a major force on Team Rocket's squad, probably their most powerful Pokemon ever, though it of course still lost due to being a bad guy. It became Jessie's go-to Contest Pokemon as well, replacing another Bug-type Pokemon she released during Diamond and Pearl who she had had since Hoenn, and perhaps fitting the sort of sexist ideals pushed by Pokemon Contests was explicitly revealed to be a female too. Yanmega was dropped during the switch to Best Wishes, because "it'd stand out as a non-Unova native", and has yet to be seen again. Honestly I'm hoping one day in XY Team Rocket just call in all of their Diamond and Pearl Pokemon when shit gets real because they were all pretty great.

Toxi

Banned
Yanma was basically a filler Pokemon (There were a lot of these in Gen 2). Terrible in battle, generic typing, and a not particularly interesting design. I like dragonflies, but Yanma is basically just a cartoony dragonfly with no other twist.

Then Megayanma came and GODDAMN THAT'S AWESOME

WarAdept

I think I've missed something. I never played 4th Gen (I'm actually playing Diamond now in an effort to play the last generation I'm missed), but does this love of Yanmega stem from something? Or is it because it's a cool design?

Watch Da Birdie said:
Yanma only learned two STAB moves, Leech Seed

Leech Life? Because that'd be cool if it could learn Leech Seed.

As we go thru this list...johtos Pokemon were pretty trash lol. It had to be straight up nostalgia at work, theres no way these Pokemon are better than gen 3 onward

Firemind

I think I've missed something. I never played 4th Gen (I'm actually playing Diamond now in an effort to play the last generation I'm missed), but does this love of Yanmega stem from something? Or is it because it's a cool design?
It's because it has Speed Boost and Tinted Lens. Unlike Ninjask, Yanmega can actually dish out. Tinted Lens Choice Specs Bug Buzz hits surprisingly hard.

StoneFox

Yanmega is badass, if I didn't already have a few breeding projects it would be next on my list. I always liked Yanma since Silver version and I was stoked when it got an evolution!

Yanma went from a garbage tier single evolution to a decent first stage in a decent two stage evolution.

Also both of these bugs are cool looking. Yanmega just looks like the natural evolution of Yanma, as if they weren't half a decade and two generations apart. One of the better Gen IV evolutions, as far as "blending in" with older Pokemon and not looking weird or out of place.

egruntz

shelaughz
I'm a bit late, but it seems like Ambipom was recently reviewed, and he's my favorite Pokemon.

I use him as a lead. Smogon thinks he's bad, but I've SWEEPED entire teams with him.

Jolly
Technician
King's Rock
Max EVs in Speed/Attack, 4 in HP

Fake Out
Beat Up
Snatch
U-Turn

Beat-Up has a 50-60% flinch success rate with King's Rock. This has completely dominated a lot of teams back when I was playing during the BW meta—and that's when the meta was quick and powerful, full of Excadrill and whatnot. I LOVED being "countered" by the switch into Gengar or other Ghost Pokemon (which would usually happen against an Ambipom, since Ghost is immune to Normal types). Thanks to Beat Up being Dark, and Ambipom being quicker than any Ghost out there (I think—definitely faster than Gengar who's the fastest I know), it would OHKO Gengar and any of these other common counters. For types who aren't weak to Dark, it would 2-3HKO them and be successful just due to the flinching.

If there was one HARD HARD HARD counter to this, it was Lucario, who just destroyed my Ambipom.

Anyway, really cool Pokemon. I want to see him reprinted in the TCG somehow.

I don't mind filler Pokemon like Yanma (pre gen 4), because they just flesh out the Pokemon world nicely.

It'd help if the games actually used them in the world though, you could have Yanma appear in the overworld in sunny areas and have them fly away when you get close.

Hang on, did ORAS actually do this with Wingull's?

Toxi

Banned
It'd help if the games actually used them in the world though, you could have Yanma appear in the overworld in sunny areas and have them fly away when you get close.
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are great with this. It's cool surfing under a flock of Wingull, then diving down and seeing a trench with Chinchou and Relicanth swimming through it.
Hang on, did ORAS actually do this with Wingull's?
Yep. There's actually a feature for the Pokenav that lets you spot Pokemon in the overworld and add them to your encounter count.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are great with this. It's cool surfing under a flock of Wingull, then diving down and seeing a trench with Chinchou and Relicanth swimming through it.

Yep.

Oh nice, I actually never got too far into Alpha Sapphire (5 badges) so I only ever saw Wingull's on the beach.

Hopefully they keep it up with gen 7 and really make a living world.

Top Bottom