• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ruined Christmases

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Christmas without my dad after my parents got a divorce wasn't a whole lot of fun.

In my parents' divorce settlement, the judge awarded her possession of everything in the house, though my father got to keep it. She emptied their joint bank account and took literally everything in the house, from the dishes to the landline phone to the mattress.

My father was literally left with nothing. Less than a month later was Christmas. He had the shittiest plastic tree I've ever seen and we had to share a small used couch he purchased to sleep on.

At least in material terms, that was the worst Christmas.

egruntz

shelaughz
First Christmas that I ever spent alone.
Did nothing all day. Nothing.
Played Smash Bros. for about an hour.

My family is in another state.
My girlfriend spent time with her family.
I just stayed inside my dark apartment all day.

I think I'm depressed?

MilkLizard

Well this year my sister in law and her stupid husband got into one of their silly fights on Christmas Eve. All in front of their kids of course. I still don't know what the hell was going on but I kinda hope they get a divorce soon because it's basically like this every time my wifes family gets together. I hate them for doing this.

In my parents' divorce settlement, the judge awarded her possession of everything in the house, though my father got to keep it. She emptied their joint bank account and took literally everything in the house, from the dishes to the landline phone to the mattress.

My father was literally left with nothing. Less than a month later was Christmas. He had the shittiest plastic tree I've ever seen and we had to share a small used couch he purchased to sleep on.

At least in material terms, that was the worst Christmas.

One better than me. My dad's ex-wife got everything. Literally everything.

McBryBry

This year. Christmas still went over pretty good. I got to see a lot of family who I haven't seen in a while. And my new girlfriend is great to me, as well as her family. But my parents decided on divorce about a month ago. We have to move out soon since one parent can't afford this house. We have to get rid of our 3 labs tomorrow because rent houses won't let us have them, one of which we've had for four years. While that isn't near as bad as some people, it still breaks me. Those dogs are family to me and I'll never see them again, and I don't know if my parents will be able to fix things like they're trying to do.

The different degrees of what is considered a bad Christmasis sad and hilarious. Can't say I've had a really bad Christmas but one year I my mom went to Mexico with my step dad, and I didn't go (I had to work around the holiday). Had a friend come over and we drank some brews. I can't quite remember why but I was feeling anti social at that period of my life.

Salamando

My standards for a good Christmas are so low, I don't know how bad it would have to get for me to consider it ruined. As long as no one's in jail, in rehab, or in the hospital, I consider it good. That's unfortunately a tall order for my family. Over the past ten years, I've experienced the following...

- Older sister in jail for a probation violation. Since her ex had full custody, we had to move heaven and hell to even see our nieces.
- Grandfather has a heart attack on Christmas Eve. Paramedics ignore do not resuscitate order. More family drama ensues, my older sister breaks her hand at the hospital...we drive home so we can put together christmas while she drives to the emergency room.
- Older sister goes to rehab in early December for 2 weeks. Leaves kids in my custody. 2 Weeks became 4 weeks, leaving me responsible for getting all the presents and stockings.
- Sister's then-husband mixes liquor with his meds at his work Christmas party. He walks into traffic so cars can kill him. We spend Christmas Eve in the emergency room, as my sister tries to talk the doctors out of a 72 hour psych stay.

Einhander

I don't know how to deal with rude/obnoxious relatives on holidays or family gatherings. I usually just ignore them, and talk as less as possible to them, but how long can that go on for? It's soul-draining.

In the bigger picture, all my relatives are in good health. Best to think that way.

akira28

This looks kinda fake, like there is nothing in the box.

oh no, that's not lack of volume, that's extra momentum on the swing. There's definitely something in that box. Anyway fuck that closed gate, if you're so rich you should probably have your butler go to the store and personally handle your television for you.

Trike

One year my grandfather died right before Christmas and shortly after it my five year old cousin died. So that was pretty bad, so was any first major holiday post divorce.

gosox333

gf couldn't take 10 minutes out of her day to take a call from me to say merry Christmas

Roommate's rent check bounced putting me hella in the negative on my account

Had to leave family festivities early to get home and go to bed early (which didn't even happen) to be up early for shitty retail job tomorrow

I got home and found out my car is leaking oil like crazy, don't even know if it'll get me to work tomorrow

I still haven't gone to bed yet, gotta be up in about three and a half hours

This was a shitter xmas for me.

JoeM86

My family christmases have mostly been top notch, not really had a ruined one.

Except 2011...that one will forever haunt my memory. In January 2011, my nan had a heart attack, she was on the road to recovery but in November 2011 she had a stroke (she always hated taking medication so she never really took the stuff the doctors recommended in her recovery, which sucks) and that Christmas, my brother, sister & I went to see her because nobody should be alone on Christmas.

Seeing her, barely able to move but totally there mentally just killed me. It's making me well up just thinking about it. We tried to cheer her up, showed her videos of my nephew who was 1 at the time, just really starting to walk and climb stairs. It brought a heartbreaking smile to her face. I broke down as soon as the visit ended.

It was the last time I saw her...I always wanted to remember her as she always was, an awesome yet stubborn person, but the memory of her being like that...just no. It will forever haunt me. She hung on for two more months, but I couldn't bring myself to see her. Did call her....couldn't go see her on the day she passed.

Horrible Christmas.

Oh, and in 2012 I lost my voice, but that's nothing on that one

_woLf

One year when I was a kid I had a 104 degree fever over christmas break and almost died. That was fun.

Another christmas I had the worst sore throat of my life and couldn't talk for 2 weeks.

This year I'm staying with my girlfriend's parents. They're sick. We learned this too late. And now me, my girlfriend, her sister and her sisters boyfriend are all now sick too. BLEH.

Nothing as bad as done of what others are saying though.. now if we were taking day after Christmases though...

Last year my dad and BIL got this great idea to cook burgers in a makeshift grill. Food poisoning that felt like death was coming to take me. My wife and I missed Christmas because we spent the next two days vomiting every 30 minutes and having diarrhea.

npa189

fussing about Individual christmases seems to be pointless, you will have had so many throughout life. I've started to view them as series or eras. I actually had a pretty good one this year, but I can only really recall one really shitty one in 2011 when my Dad slipped a disc in his back and proceeded to spend the 23rd-27th groaning in the middle of the living room in his grossest pajamas. I felt bad, but when he is ill he becomes the world's hammiest actor and plays it up. Oh and I didn't get hammered and make an ass of myself, but the week isn't over yet.

XBP

Blamespaces delivery man I see...

uhVGowu.jpg

Baus

Grandma died last week, and my whole family is out of town. Bussed an hour and a half to spend the day with my 2nd cousins. Not the best of Christmas's thats for sure.

Also, last year my ex girlfriend basically dumped me two days before Christmas, while I was still on crutches from my recent ACL surgery.

It can only get better right?

I can't wait for robots to take these asshole's jobs.

They are doing their job just fine, when you have to deal with thousands and thousands of packages everyday you don't have to handle them with care. It is the sender's job to do a proper package and buy the proper insurance. The health and backs of workers are worthier than anything a customer would send. Though they are not assholes, I agree with you and it should be a job for robots.

I like how people get really into the disgusting consumerism "spirit of christmas" and then cry and complain when things go wrong regarding their shipments despite the couriers working stupid ass shifts just to try and ensure the materialistic masses get their damn gifts on time and in good shape... which may or may not happen depending on the volume of shit that needs to be delivered.

I can't be the only one that feels bad for these workers and has no sympathy for the greedy asses complaining abut their shipments not making it in time and may have some damage.

Ms.Galaxy

My worst Christmas has to be this year. My entire family had their usual get together for Christmas, except I didn't get invited this year because I'm a transwoman, best part is that my aunt is an actual medical doctor and she treats me like I'm some sort of sub-human.

I spent Christmas this year alone at home with a pint of ice cream, a gas station burrito, and a bunch of holiday specials on TV while crying my eyes out. My mother later stopped by and brought something they wanted to give me. They had the nerve to give what's probably the most insulting thing anyone has ever gave me: a book on how to be a man, Testim gel, a list of surgeons that can remove my developing features, and a letter telling me I need to stop being a kid "pretending" and to grow up before I damage my body any further.

I'm probably not going to celebrate Christmas for a few years, or ever, after this event.

My worst Christmas has to be this year. My entire family had their usual get together for Christmas, except I didn't get invited this year because I'm a transwoman, best part is that my aunt is an actual medical doctor and she treats me like I'm some sort of sub-human.

I spent Christmas this year alone at home with a pint of ice cream, a gas station burrito, and a bunch of holiday specials on TV while crying my eyes out. My mother later stopped by and brought something they wanted to give me. They had the nerve to give what's probably the most insulting thing anyone has ever gave me: a book on how to be a man, Testim gel, a list of surgeons that can remove my developing features, and a letter telling me I need to stop being a kid "pretending" and to grow up before I damage my body any further.

I'm probably not going to celebrate Christmas for a few years, or ever, after this event.
I'm so sorry. Family should be there for you. When they're not, it's just the worst.

You'll find someone who'll love and accept you for who you are someday. Just hang in there.

oneils

My parents once sent me on a SAW-inspired scavenger hunt at 6 in the morning in the cold to find a present. At the end it turned out to be a pouch of fake coal. It was a prank and my real present was a PS3 but the day was already ruined for me by that point.

They made you work on Christmas? Damn.

What? That's hilarious, I like your parents!

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

You can cut family out of your life. I have in the past.

It's not easy, but they don't get the ability to make your life miserable just because you're related.

One Christmas, when I was 8 or so, I woke up to the sound of my parents yelling at each other over the phone about who gets custody and at what time. Spent the first hour of that Christmas day hiding in my bedroom.

On Christmas Eve in 2006 my Mom's house burned down completely. I'd moved out a few months earlier, but most of my stuff was still there. No people were home at the time, but my cat was.

This Christmas morning one of my uncles died. (He got pneumonia about a month ago; was in intensive care and then was put in hospice care on the 21st.)

SFenton

My parents once sent me on a SAW-inspired scavenger hunt at 6 in the morning in the cold to find a present. At the end it turned out to be a pouch of fake coal. It was a prank and my real present was a PS3 but the day was already ruined for me by that point.

Hahaha. My parents did that to me and my brother. We had new guitars waiting inside, but man that three mile hike we had to go on was mood killing.

cajunator

Banned

what kind of fucked up shit is that? *hugs

My family is in disaster mode, treating me (a pacifist) like a psychopath about to go postal on my self-victimizing, hysterical grandmother (whom I live with currently, though its proving very difficult) because I'm somewhat shunning them after they consciously tried to trick me, a vegetarian, into eating food with gelatin in it, utterly disrespecting my morals, and lying to me about serving a vegetarian dinner that ended up including fish, and then guilt tripped me, for the dozenth time, by talking up the table about how successful my cousin is doing in college while I'm just some drop out fuckhead whos going nowhere in life, AND then ruining my nice hard thought unmaterialistic christmas gifts by forcing a grocery bill for the nights dinner on me as a proper materialistic one that they preferred, all this during a month where they have been shrugging off my depression for my rapidly aging to death dog of 15 years who they tell me I should just punt to the vet for a death sentence cause who cares about anything other then convenience, cause its just a dog no big deal, not my best friend since I was a child. So yeah I'm upset, but apparently I'm not allowed to be and now they are treating me like a literal crazy person.

Aaahhhh. Happy Doctomas.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
My Christmas kinda sucked due to having a high fever, and not being able to travel to my parents. But on the plus side, my wife and kids loved their gifts. :)

7threst

I like how people get really into the disgusting consumerism "spirit of christmas" and then cry and complain when things go wrong regarding their shipments despite the couriers working stupid ass shifts just to try and ensure the materialistic masses get their damn gifts on time and in good shape... which may or may not happen depending on the volume of shit that needs to be delivered.

I can't be the only one that feels bad for these workers and has no sympathy for the greedy asses complaining abut their shipments not making it in time and may have some damage.

Look, people pay for these things. If there is someone who you should have no sympathy for, it's courier companies setting absurd delivery-dates so that their workers have to work overtime just to get packages delivered. As a consumer, it's not my fault ordering something online with an expected delivery date to expect it'll be actually delivered on said date.

It wasn't ruined but I came down with something yesterday and was feeling really sick. Then people start complaining and making jokes about me not being in the christmas spirit. I played along with it for the most part but it was really annoying. I was trying my best but it's hard to stay jolly when you're feeling like shit. By the time the evening came around all I wanted to do was go to bed.

"I ordered a lamp but the delivery guy ran over it with his truck first and then threw it 40 yards onto our porch"

So out of the 2 people involved in this story, you have sympathy for the delivery guy because he had to do his job, and did it poorly?

giga

I am so fucking sorry. Your family is pathetic. You have friends here who care. So forget them and do what makes you happy.

My mother is the most insidious, passive aggressive bitch I've ever know. She gets in your head. I've learned to tune her out or be sarcastic with her over the years, but she really fucks with my wife. We went over for Christmas (only because my dad and siblings are cool) and all she talks about is stupid shit like insurance, or work, or other topics not for Christmas day.

My dad still pays my car insurance (I'm only 22) so it isn't like we could become estranged from her yet. I go outside to help my dad and she corners my wife and talks about how we should help pay for the car insurance (which is somehow $130 a month for me) when she knows we don't have have a lot of spare money because we are trying to get out student loans paid off. It really got in my wife's head and she was crying last night because of it.

Oh and the best part is that my mom constantly complains about money, despite my dad taking home ~$95k a year from his pension and my mother working too. We live in rural PA, the cost of living is really fucking low. They shouldn't have any money problems, all of it is their fault. My mom has had a closet full of clothes with the tags still on, she pushed my dad into buying two new cars (2012) which is probably why their insurance is so fucking high.

Oh oh, and they got a big $50k lump sum when my dad retired (full retirement at 58 because he had a heart attack last year and the company was bought out) and they blew it all in three months. Not even paying bills or loans.

I just had to vent. It's probably a bit incoherent.

ZenaxPure

Compared to some stuff in this thread I've got nothing, but, this year is certainly the worst christmas I've ever had. Dad has had a few pretty big surgeries this year cause colon cancer and keeps getting infections, one of which came 3 or 4 days ago which per usual put him in the hospital. So we had to cancel any activities (opening gifts and having a huge meal we always have) because he is stuck in there and we don't want to do anything without him. Of course there is also the fact that he and my mom are late shoppers so neither of them had actually done any christmas shopping anyway, our tree is pretty much barren outside of a few small gifts. That combined with the fact that it rained most of the week here, it hasn't felt very much like christmas.

about a month ago my gf and i officially broke up for good. i'm 30 and she's 31. things had been bad for 4 - 5 months but we were trying to work it out. i own the house we were living in and she's staying at her sisters until she finds an apartment

ever since the break up my dad refuses to speak to me. with christmas being celebrated at their house, it made for a great day/night. i made up an excuse about having to bring the dogs home and got the hell out of there after opening gifts. then i went back for dinner and left again right after, then drank a bottle of wine at home by myself and watched the interview

on the second trip i found part of the present i had gotten him in the garbage. he's retired and spends long trips all over the place. on jan 3rd he goes to mexico for 2 months, so i won't have to deal with him for a while

y2dvd

Geez some of these stories are so sad. :(

Mines is so tame in comparison. This year feels bad only because I'm crazy sick and had no energy to be festive.

This year a friend of the family spent her Christmas Day in hospital giving birth to the corpse of her dead child.

She's in her late thirties and has been trying for children for over a decade, and this was the first time she's actually gotten pregnant and it was looking like there would be any complications. She and her partner had been so happy...

Then there was a routine checkup and the doctor told her the baby had died. So she had to go in to be induced, knowing that she was giving birth to a dead baby.

Merry fucking Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom