• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ruined Christmases

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year a friend of the family spent her Christmas Day in hospital giving birth to the corpse of her dead child.

She's in her late thirties and has been trying for children for over a decade, and this was the first time she's actually gotten pregnant and it was looking like there would be any complications. She and her partner had been so happy...

Then there was a routine checkup and the doctor told her the baby had died. So she had to go in to be induced, knowing that she was giving birth to a dead baby.

Merry fucking Christmas

Jesus Christ...

This year a friend of the family spent her Christmas Day in hospital giving birth to the corpse of her dead child.

She's in her late thirties and has been trying for children for over a decade, and this was the first time she's actually gotten pregnant and it was looking like there would be any complications. She and her partner had been so happy...

Then there was a routine checkup and the doctor told her the baby had died. So she had to go in to be induced, knowing that she was giving birth to a dead baby.

Merry fucking Christmas

Oh my God this is terrible. Me and my Wife have been trying to conceive a child for half a year now, and if something like this ever happened to us I don't think I could handle it

Stencil

I feel like I ruin Christmas every year. I beg my family not to get me anything because I really don't need anything. It always ends up with them getting something and telling right away that I don't like or want it. Even if I try my best to look excited or impressed, they know. It ends up with me feeling awful and them being disappointed they couldn't get me something I want

This is laughable. If they insist on getting you something, just ask them for something you'd actually enjoy.

Ecotic

When I was a child my dad tried to get out of having to buy us Christmas presents. We're a deep south, trailer trash type family.

So he killed a deer, had it mounted on the wall, painted its nose red, and claimed he had unwittingly killed Rudolph, and so there wouldn't be a Christmas this year, or any future year. He even grabbed a tupperware bowl full of deer meat out of the fridge and bit into a piece in front of my brothers and I and was like "Grr, there goes Rudolph!!" as we wept in ignorant terror.

Mononoke

Banned
s0Rkzwu.jpg

Fuck. The 20th Anniversary PS4s are FedEx. R.I.P.

Broke my foot by kicking a piece of furniture in a rage burst during an argument with my wife, if I can still call her that; meanwhile, another humiliating job interview for a goddamn dish washing position resulted in the lasted "no", as I approach my third straight year of unemployment. I would turn to alcohol or drugs but I can't fucking afford it.

What makes matters worse is that the store has every right to claim that you broke it, and thus refuse an exchange or refund (retailers usually don't get compensated by manufacturers for physically damaged merchandise). In short, I hope that TV wasn't too expensive, because you just flushed that money down the shitter.

Nah, I don't think so.

Stuff like this happens all the time with Christmas gifts being broken or other issues, hence longer return windows and exchanges during the holidays. Getting an exchange should not be a problem.

terrisus

Merry fucking Christmas

Well fuck =(

IISANDERII

about a month ago my gf and i officially broke up for good. i'm 30 and she's 31. things had been bad for 4 - 5 months but we were trying to work it out. i own the house we were living in and she's staying at her sisters until she finds an apartment

ever since the break up my dad refuses to speak to me. with christmas being celebrated at their house, it made for a great day/night. i made up an excuse about having to bring the dogs home and got the hell out of there after opening gifts. then i went back for dinner and left again right after, then drank a bottle of wine at home by myself and watched the interview

on the second trip i found part of the present i had gotten him in the garbage. he's retired and spends long trips all over the place. on jan 3rd he goes to mexico for 2 months, so i won't have to deal with him for a while
Sorry to hear this. I don't understand what the connection is between the breakup and your dad.

Some of these stories will be things to laugh about in years to come. I am so sorry for those ones that are truly awful.

I kind of ruined one Christmas for my mom. I wanted a box set of the Lord of the Rings books, and when I opened my present I told my mother, "You got the wrong ones." She looked crestfallen and I tried to feign more enthusiasm, but she was bummed out. In my defense, she knew I was looking at the regular paperbacks with the cool covers of Orcs, Hobbits, swords, etc. She got me trade-size paperbacks with boring minimalists covers that she liked.

I went with my wife to her grandparents for a family Christmas. On our way out at the end of the visit, we were handed several presents and told Merry Christmas. Take them to the car- find out they are all for her brother and she didn't get anything. No one in her family even thought of her. Cue a miserable Christmas.

Is there any chance her brother has a stack of her presents?

My brother's girlfriend almost got me a #GAMERGATE T-Shirt.

People outside of our sphere may not know the significance and just think it's an "I play videogames" message.

How does that work exactly I'm curious? What was the situation that made them decide he would get nothing?

Strongarm shark of a lawyer that she spoke to before she even told my Dad. She even filed before telling him. Plus she was the primary account holder on all of their bank accounts so she was able to take out all of their money before he even knew he was divorcing her. Considering my dad was now broke he couldn't afford a lawyer, and the lawyer was able to convince the judge that my dad's alcoholism hurt the family for years (which is bullshit, my dad never laid a hand on my mother or any of us and she knows it) and basically painted him out to be a complete monster. Since my Dad had no defense attorney and no money to go forward, he was left with two options - give up and give her what she wanted (which was everything), or hire a lawyer, go deep into debt, and possibly get some stuff - which he would then have to sell off to pay his debt. He's currently living with one of his AA friends - I've invited him to move in with me multiple times but he always refuses, but needless to say I spent Christmas with him and not my mother and sister (who sides with my mother 100%).

Oh, and my mother is now engaged to that lawyer, and I've been written out of her will for siding with my dad. This world sucks.

rezuth

So my family had been planning to surprise our elderly grandparents with a brand new television this year. They've had the same small CRT TV for years and it has seen so much use that the picture is barely even discernible anymore. We ordered a 28" LED TV online a few weeks ago and when it was delivered, the box was kind of beaten up, but not terrible. But in the Christmas rush we never got a chance to make time to take it out of the box and test it.

So naturally, we wrap the thing up and bring it over to the house this morning. My grandparents looked so happy and excited unwrapped the damn thing and we immediately moved to get it set up for them before dinner. Assembled the stand, plugged the thing in... cracked screen. Damaged in shipping. (Fuck Fedex btw.)

It was a giant downer and pretty much ruined the whole Christmas mood for all of us. Had to hook up the CRT once more, and go deal with what is likely to be a massive post-Christmas customer service line to return the damn thing at the local store tomorrow. Hopefully we'll be able to get an exchange and have it set up by the end of the day.

Anyone on GAF have a shitty Christmas-ruining moment before? This sucks.

I mean if that was the worst thing it seems like an amazing christmas. If that was the most negative thing that happened during my christmas I would be fucking estatic. (I don't have any good christmas really, family always fights and shit)

Sucks but I mean it will be replaced.

Cody_D165

Banned
I mean if that was the worst thing it seems like an amazing christmas. If that was the most negative thing that happened during my christmas I would be fucking estatic. (I don't have any good christmas really, family always fights and shit)

Sucks but I mean it will be replaced.

it was more the look of disappointment on their faces that was so depressing

like they went from joy to utter disappointment in a matter of seconds

also as an update we returned the TV today for a refund but all of the local stores are literally out of any TVs under 40" so it looks like they'll be waiting a bit for a gift at all :(

you're probably right though... it was just really depressing to watch their disappointment

Acinixys

When I was a child my dad tried to get out of having to buy us Christmas presents. We're a deep south, trailer trash type family.

So he killed a deer, had it mounted on the wall, painted its nose red, and claimed he had unwittingly killed Rudolph, and so there wouldn't be a Christmas this year, or any future year. He even grabbed a tupperware bowl full of deer meat out of the fridge and bit into a piece in front of my brothers and I and was like "Grr, there goes Rudolph!!" as we wept in ignorant terror.

Im sure this was traumatic for you but holy shit im dying over here

Zee-Row

Banned

Merry fucking Christmas

Awful , I have no right to complain. Losing a child , I just can comprehend that feeling.

Azuran

Banned
My worst Christmas has to be this year. My entire family had their usual get together for Christmas, except I didn't get invited this year because I'm a transwoman, best part is that my aunt is an actual medical doctor and she treats me like I'm some sort of sub-human.

I spent Christmas this year alone at home with a pint of ice cream, a gas station burrito, and a bunch of holiday specials on TV while crying my eyes out. My mother later stopped by and brought something they wanted to give me. They had the nerve to give what's probably the most insulting thing anyone has ever gave me: a book on how to be a man, Testim gel, a list of surgeons that can remove my developing features, and a letter telling me I need to stop being a kid "pretending" and to grow up before I damage my body any further.

I'm probably not going to celebrate Christmas for a few years, or ever, after this event.

Holy shit, you family are complete and utter assholes. Even using that word doesn't fully describe how heinous their actions were.

You're better off just cutting them out of their life for good. That's just some deep hatred they have for you.

Ms.Galaxy

Holy shit, you family are complete and utter assholes. Even using that word doesn't fully describe how heinous their actions were.

You're better off just cutting them out of their life for good. That's just some deep hatred they have for you.

Deep hatred is an understatement. They always have hated me because I was different, I had gender dysphoria since I was 5 and they tried to force masculinity since then. Mom and Grandma slapped me everytime I wear their clothes and jewelry, they always forced "boy" toys like dinosaurs and toy guns. I've went through dozens of therapists and psychiatrists because of depression and anxiety and I was too scared to speak up about how I truly felt. I must have taken 10 different psychiatric drugs to try and treat things I never had in my lifetime and it only made me want to kill myself.

After I became an adult, I talked about my true feelings to my new therapist, he sent my records to a clinic he knows, they reviewed it and agreed about my case, and started hormone replacement therapy back in July. Nearly 6 month in and for the first time in my life I feel confident, beautiful, and happy. (Outside of what happened yesterday of course)

I plan to cut them off, especially after that. They always call me, and always beg and threaten for me to stop my treatment. Lucky for me I'm planning to move in with my long distance boyfriend around the summer after he finishes school so it won't be too long before I'm out and away from them.

My dog passed away on Wednesday. Imagine spending the afternoon of Christmas Eve calling every vet in the area, hoping to find one still open, just so you can bring your buddy's corpse there to have them cremate it.

Merry Christmas.

The worst Christmas I've ever experienced was back when I was like 13. My mom was really struggling to get bills taken care of and we barely made the cut that month. Suffice to say she didn't have money to get us any gifts we wanted.

She bought me and my sister some small boxed Lego minifigs and candy. We opened them up. Me and my sister kinda understood that things were bad and we tried our best not to act unappreciative, but my mom could tell we were disappointed. She broke down right there in front of us and we cried too.

It was such a surreal day. I always think about it every Christmas and it reminds me how much I owe my mom for being there for us and how I'm glad to have her around.

God, this broke me :( Your mother is awesome!

This year's one for me was probably the worst. My older brother and my mother started to argue, i tried to calm down things but while i was away, my brother went berserk on the house and ended up pushing my mom down to the floor, with rage... I collapsed, i went there and fucking shouted him out of the room, moved him away, while i took my mother to her bed... and then he entered a state of crisis with all the guilt from what has happened and tried to harm himself with a fucking knife while i was struggling with my injured mother and this huge guy acting like a child with a knife. (btw i'm 65kg and he's like 90kg, i don't know how i managed to stop him)... I'm still all bruised and physically/mentally exhausted, it was probably the most nightmare-ish thing i've ever experienced... I'll never forget this december 25th. :/

cosmod

Neo Member
My parent's cat was killed by coyotes or other wild animal Christmas morning. A window was accidentally left open because the fireplace warmed up the house. So I had to dig a grave yesterday.

Sponge

Banned
Assembled the stand, plugged the thing in... cracked screen. Damaged in shipping. (Fuck Fedex btw.)

Really sorry to hear that happened. I work at a Fedex call center so I had to deal with people who had broken packages all day. I hope you had some sort of declared value put down on that TV because setting up a claim can be a pain.

Worst Christmas for me was around 2002/2003. My mom (single parent) had been addicted to this free backgammon game she downloaded on her computer. It had a bad, cheating AI which would roll the numbers it needed to win and not give human players a chance.

So here it is, Christmas Eve, my sister, brother and I are trying to watch some of the various Christmas programming when we hear "YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT! YOU FUCKING CHEATER!" and she kept going on and on. My siblings and I were starting to feel quite scared. This was NOTHING like her and completely out of character for her. I finally gather the courage to confront her ( I'm 18 or so, just out of High School fyi). I calmly suggest try taking a break and join us in the living room. She refuses. I stick with it. Saying I totally understand what she's going through (I do actually, I become pretty enraged when I play really "cheap hard" games even too this day). Finally she goes to town on me. Think Pesto arguing with Squit ( kudos if you get the reference) "YOU think you know BETTER than ME. How DARE you!" Pretty much rips me a new one verbally. Decided to take away my computer and video games because I didn't have a job yet ( to be fair, I was pretty lazy and unmotivated at the time)

Next day, Christmas morning, hoping she slept it off. Nope. She was nice to my siblings, but she gave me the stink eye all day. Tossing me a DVD she had gotten ( Final Fantasy The Spirits Within ) saying something like "I guess I should give you SOMETHING today"

It wasn't until the following Spring or Summer that we were having a pleasant conversation when she told me she couldn't even remember why she took my stuff away from me. I said Christmas and she just sort of gazes away pleasantly and says "Yeah... I should give you your stuff back"

This year's Christmas wasn't that great either. Uncle was off the road from truck driving. Hogs the tv the whole time he's here. Doesn't even feel like watching anything Christmas related. There's another long story here, but he's a relative that can be unpleasant to be around. At least I had my sister.

Merry fucking Christmas

This happened to my sister.

Imagine having to give birth to the corpse of your fully formed baby... Life can be so cruel.

It's amazing how your perception of what makes a "bad" Christmas changes with age. Until about a year ago, my worst Christmas was when I didn't get Pokemon Leaf Green with my new GBA SP, to which I cried at like a whiny little bitch. Which I then found out my Nan and Grandad had bought me later. Yeah, proper spoilt little cunt to be honest.

Then a year ago, my Dad and Mum had a huge domestic incident into which I cleverly involved myself, and nearly got kicked out on Christmas Eve for. Drinking from 2pm onwards is never a good idea. Nobody even remembers what we argued about, but after a brief armistice on Christmas morning, it reignited over dinner. Silly trivial shit though. As I said, we're stupidly lucky.

Then this year, my Grandad, after a long battle with kidney failure and overwhelming depression, has passed away about an hour or two ago. I have been so overwhelmingly busy with my part time job and my teaching course that I never made the time to make the 80 mile trip to see him, and now I never will.

Still, this all pales in comparison to some of your stories. That baby one is, or at least should be, every human being's worst nightmare. How utterly cruel.

Emitan

My worst Christmas has to be this year. My entire family had their usual get together for Christmas, except I didn't get invited this year because I'm a transwoman, best part is that my aunt is an actual medical doctor and she treats me like I'm some sort of sub-human.

I spent Christmas this year alone at home with a pint of ice cream, a gas station burrito, and a bunch of holiday specials on TV while crying my eyes out. My mother later stopped by and brought something they wanted to give me. They had the nerve to give what's probably the most insulting thing anyone has ever gave me: a book on how to be a man, Testim gel, a list of surgeons that can remove my developing features, and a letter telling me I need to stop being a kid "pretending" and to grow up before I damage my body any further.

I'm probably not going to celebrate Christmas for a few years, or ever, after this event.
This makes me so sad to hear. My mom tried to ruin my Thanksgiving by saying transphobic things about me during dinner (I'm closeted so I'm the only one who understood) but this is on another level. I do not know you but I do know you are not deserving of such cruelty. You deserve a family of choice who loves and respects you.

terrisus

Next day, Christmas morning, hoping she slept it off. Nope. She was nice to my siblings, but she gave me the stink eye all day. Tossing me a DVD she had gotten ( Final Fantasy The Spirits Within ) saying something like "I guess I should give you SOMETHING today"

Darn, that's cruel.

Hickee

I managed to get bacterial tonsillitis on Christmas Eve this year. Woke up early on the 25th to make my 4 year old sons porridge before we headed downstairs to open his presents and I could barely move. Took all I had to just help him open his things, I was in bed for 4pm and have hardly eaten for a week and been unable to interact with him till tonight. Slept so much my sleeping pattern is truly fucked also.

Carnby

One year we didn't have Christmas gifts because my mom didn't have the money. It was disappointing, but I was old enough to understand these things happen.

My mom bought my brother and I big gifts a few months later. I asked for a 32x. What was I thinking? Getting the 32x was the worst part of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom