• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Atlus to Localize Yakuza 5 in the West

What's so good about this game that people keep asking for a localization?

I can't speak for everyone, but for me the Yakuza series filled the niche that Shenmue used to fill. An open world game set in a (semi) accurate depiction of Japan that greatly encourages exploration and finding out secrets for yourself. Of course Yakuza never went into the kind of crazy amounts of detail that Shenmue does. If I had to describe it, I'd say that Yakuza is the Arcade version of Shenmue.

Wait what when can Haruka actually fight? I need to get back to RgG5

It's a hack, Harukas only battles are dance battles on the streets of Osaka
bar the bar fighting segment where she does actually beat up goons with a fairy wand

I'd be glad to see the game get translated, the Japanese version was my favourite game of the last generation (that final chapter!) but a dub would seriously hurt my enjoyment of the game as there's no good reason to change the voices. Hopefully sega puts there foot down on that requirement if true.

What's so good about this game that people keep asking for a localization?

It's a story-focused, J-drama stylized telling of the Yakuza life with fun and interesting characters. It's very Japanese, but in the good way if you like the Japanese style of storytelling.

The gameplay mechanics is mixed with a very fun 3D brawler combat system, with fun combos, pick-up weapons, finisher meters, old-school in design, but very well polished... ( aside from load times of previous games ) and what is probably... best described as a mix of a JRPG + open world GTA style environment. It's not as 'open' as a GTA game, but the cities are extremely dense, with many things to do and places to travel to. There's inventories, items.

And it has a ton of fun mini-games like regular open-world games like golfing, hunting, karaoke, etc.

One could say it's a Japanese take on GTA + brawler, but it's not really accurate either.

The perfect scenario? Localized, BUT ON PS4!

tumblr_mzelwimgKd1rxpb1yo1_400.gif

Please be true, PLEASE!!!!

Please bring Ishin and Y1&2HD too.

ibc4TNUrruHecr.gif

Already pre-ordered the PS4 version of Ishin cos I thought/knew for sure it'll never be localized like Kenzan. Let's hope I'm wrong!

It's a story-focused, J-drama stylized telling of the Yakuza life with fun and interesting characters. It's very Japanese, but in the good way if you like the Japanese style of storytelling.

The gameplay mechanics is mixed with a very fun 3D brawler combat system, with fun combos, pick-up weapons, finisher meters, old-school in design, but very well polished... ( aside from load times of previous games ) and what is probably... best described as a mix of a JRPG + open world GTA style environment. It's not as 'open' as a GTA game, but the cities are extremely dense, with many things to do and places to travel to. There's inventories, items.

And it has a ton of fun mini-games like regular open-world games like golfing, hunting, karaoke, etc.

One could say it's a Japanese take on GTA + brawler, but it's not really accurate either.

Can you avoid combat and play only for the story?

Can you avoid combat and play only for the story?

Ha.

You can't even avoid combat even if you actively try to.

Yakuza games are filled with retarded fools on the street sides of Tokyo's redlight district who think it's a smart idea to try to con or sleaze money out of a guy twice their size.

Tldr; it's a brawler at heart. The game has a lot of combat, but even outside story combat scenes, the game throws random grunts here and there while you get around town.

hamchan

If you do this Atlus I'll forgive you for Europe getting screwed with Persona 4 Arena and SMT4.

(Though I guess it might be more thanks to Sega owning them now)

Aru

NA localisation only. With us Europeans importing.

Single market cost.

Well they could release in Europe, English language only. Like most of their and SEGA JRPG releases, anyway. What was the last JRPG SEGA localized in European languages? Resonance of Fate IIRC.
If Atlus doesn't find a publisher to release Yakuza 5 in Europe, they'll probably go the PSN route, like with Conception II and some older games.

So no, it's not really a single market cost. At first yes, but not ultimately.

If this is true, I hope AtlusUSA got Valkyria Chronicles 3 lined up for them as well.

At this point, they should license the fan translation, if they can.

MilkBeard

This is one of the things that sprung to mind when I heard of the acquisition, but I was nervous because of the many ways that Sega could ruin Atlus.

If this is true, I'm pretty excited, because Atlus is great at localization, and we know Sega probably wouldn't do it themselves.

Herla

Just as I stopped believing and switched my hopes to Ishin...please be true.
I need more Akiyama in my life.

KarmaCow

Jeez Atlus USA has already been working overtime localizing all their own games, now their adding this along with other titles like Conception 2 to the pile?

EOU and Soul Hackers had a few errors, I hope this pressure isn't too much for them.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Praise the sun! Man I hope this is true, that would make my year. Also, fuck dubs. I don't mind their being a dub but not to the detriment of including the japanese soundtrack. That comes first as far as I'm concerned. The only way to play Yakuza.

Top Bottom