• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Banjo Kazooie Xbox Announcement Could Happen At X018.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/10/15/banjo-kazooie-sequel-announcement-may-happen-x018-xbox-one/

A Rare fan by the name of VALEX recently posted an interesting theory on Twitter that has him believe that a new announcement for the Banjo Kazooie series could be made at the event next month. And he’s come up with some interesting proof to back him up.

He brought up the old Xbox 360 game Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, which is included in the Xbox One release Rare Replay that came out back in 2015. The 2008 release notes an Easter Egg asking if people will remember the game in a decade, in which it states in print on the bottom of a spinning stage, “Bear and bird’s first adventure. Will anyone remember Nuts and Bolts in a decade? Come back in 2018 and find out.” You can see a video for this below. (And for the record, the duo did have two N64 games before this -- Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie, both of which are also in Rare Replay.)

Finally, he took an image from the profile of Paul Machacek, a long-time developer that’s worked with Rare. His profile now lists the likes of Battletoads, Donkey Kong, Banjo Kazooie and Viva Pinata, but as you can see from the picture below (from VALEX), there’s a title that’s missing.

screen-shot-2018-10-14-at-73816-pm-1139027.jpeg

Solo Act

Doesn't it seem more realistic that the 2018 reference was the punchline of a joke rather than foreshadowing a game? "Will anyone care about this game in 10 years? Come back then and find out."

The idea that Microsoft and Rare have been secretly planning a sequel for a decade to complete a random easter egg seems far fetched. Even if something were to be announced in November, how would that complete the joke? "Will people care about Nuts and Bolts in 2018? Here's Banjo 3." None of this makes sense.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Paul Malchacek's profile picture is the only thing of interest here, because, frankly, an in-game joke from ten years ago hardly is evidence for any development right now. Howver, Mayles repeatedly states that if there is any Banjo game in development right now not only does he not work on it, but he is not aware of it being worked on. Considering his position at Rare, if Banjo-Threeie was in development and Malchacek was indeed working on it, then he would certainly be aware. Of course, he could be lying, but I doubt that, he could just not comment on the Twitter pleas.

Akuza89

I like that... “Paul. PAUL!” Haha

Anyway, doubt it’s true, probably just having fun with people.

Microsoft haven’t done anything with the IP since nuts and bolts...it’d more logical for it to launch with the next Xbox.

Bakkus

You can't be serious. The studios developing these games are businesses, not troll companies. You think they would withold a new game in the series for that long for the sole purpose of fufilling an easter egg prophecy?

iconmaster

Banned
You can't be serious. The studios developing these games are businesses, not troll companies. You think they would withold a new game in the series for that long for the sole purpose of fufilling an easter egg prophecy?

There was a time when I could believe that of Rare. But not the post-buyout MS Rare.

Jae Mara

Definitely sounds more like the games humor than anything to base fact from. I specifically remember the characters in N&B joking about if their game doesnt sell well there will not be a nuts and bolts 2. It was like a candid joke at how they probably knew that the game was not going to sell. So I doubt there is anything behind this.

Diddy X

I don't want to get my hopes up but with all these old platformers getting remastered it's about time we get a new Banjo-Kazooie, it'd make sense atleast.

VAL0R

Banned
I guess I was thinking of a cute little cartoon mascot that jumps around and collects things. But yeah, different genres, I get it.

I like Banjo but I'm not sure he's as timeless a Mario. A goofy bear with a bird in his backpack that fights a green witch with a wart on her nose named Gruntilda. And everybody is named after musical instruments. Nuts and Bolts didn't inspire much confidence in the extended cast of characters either.

Xenon

I really want this, but only if they dont play it safe and try and push the genre to something new. Without out changing the genre, like Nuts and Boltz, of course.

Yoshi

I guess I was thinking of a cute little cartoon mascot that jumps around and collects things. But yeah, different genres, I get it.

I like Banjo but I'm not sure he's as timeless a Mario. A goofy bear with a bird in his backpack that fights a green witch with a wart on her nose named Gruntilda. And everybody is named after musical instruments. Nuts and Bolts didn't inspire much confidence in the extended cast of characters either.
A game that features the most well-structured open worlds in games 20 years after release may as well be timeless.

Why would anyone still want this Rare to touch Banjo Kazooie or any other IP of significance?

Hopefully someone else is in charge.

Yoshi

Why would anyone still want this Rare to touch Banjo Kazooie or any other IP of significance?

Hopefully someone else is in charge.
Because Gregg Mayles is the level designer of Banjo-Kazooie and still works there.

Top Bottom