• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Call of Duty 2016 to Be Set in the “Very Far Future,” to Feature Space Combat

oti

Banned
Listen to me for a sec LISTEN TO ME.

Call of Duty

J
E
D
I

KAPOW EXPLOSIONS MONEEEEEEEYYYYY LIGHTSABERS MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY

J-Rzez

Nope, no thanks. I remember when you felt a part of bigger battles with CoD, those days are gone and it's devolved into low rent syfy level settings and stories. Titanfall is the only "future" that's acceptable to me.

It's almost like Kotick has been trying to kill off CoD and WoW, since he hates games, but instead has tapped into the casual hive mind and making tons of money.

I want the old settings in new engines and gameplay. I'm so desperate for WW1/2 that I'll take an alien steampunk infused game in those eras.

MilkyJoe

Wtf has this series got to do with its namesake? Back in the day it actually meant something, you at least learnt something. WW2 was the last just war and the name should have stayed there.

Malice215

Where else can this series go besides space? 1886?

I would have preferred a current day setting, but if it's future setting is something along the lines of Killzone, I'll give it a try. Just not on day one.

speedomodel

68c010b0-1b4b-0132-0870-0eae5eefacd9.gif

Activision shooting themselves in the foot with this...Sony shooting themselves with the ps4k...Nintendo releasing an NX with the same concept of the Wii/Wii U (innovation over power)....if all these rumors end being true....we will witness a crash on the industry, ala crash of 83...

Activision shooting themselves in the foot with this...Sony shooting themselves with the ps4k...Nintendo releasing an NX with the same concept of the Wii/Wii U (innovation over power)....if all these rumors end being true....we will witness a crash on the industry, ala crash of 83...

Ummm no it doesn't work like that. If it sells well no one is going anywhere. And this being a COD game it will sell well, the other two probably will as well, the PS4 sells more and more every day another version won't stop but add to it. For the NX who the fuck knows.

How is Activision shooting themselves in the foot? This is going to sell like crazy, like CoD always does.

Don't see why people are crying for WW1/2 when Battlefield is doing that this year.
A lack of variety in the FPS market is what pushed COD to go futuristic in the first place.

These games aren't about shooting anymore. I want a stripped back CoD with a focus on gunplay. Get rid of streaks and perks as well. Or take them back to CoD 4 levels. Futuristic CoD will invariably go even further in the other direction. Ah well.

Bolivar687

Banned
Don't see why people are crying for WW1/2 when Battlefield is doing that this year.
A lack of variety in the FPS market is what pushed COD to go futuristic in the first place.

I like Battlefield but it's a different multiplayer experience. None of the other military franchises have ever cracked the CoD paradigm for fast matches and unlock progression.

CHC

Yeah and like others have said this is totally going to be an excuse to pile on more stupid perks and weapons that are totally unbalanced, and make the gameplay even more unnecessarily fast paced and devoid of any kind of strategy or directionality.

MK_768

Lol this is the dumbest post I've ever seen on Gaf.

thejpfin

Space combat section in Ghosts campaign was the best part of the game imo. So CoD2016 going space would be interesting.

ShamePain

Banned
How soon til they run out of future setting ideas? It's getting real boring, you have freaking 3 studios working on the franchise, have them do something different from each other.

BKG

Banned
Looks like we will have to wait for Treyarch again for a good COD...I would bet a ton of money their next game is World at War 3

DFox

What happened to Ghost 2? Didn't the game end with a cliffhanger?

I think they are going to keep making the games more extreme until they they see a huge drop of in sales.

But I'm actually hoping for a complete reboot.
- Call of Duty 5
- New engine
- Modern combat
- Drop the yearly game releases
- E-sport, support the same game for years
- Have every studio creating content for the same game
- Make stand alone spin off games for example Zombies & Futuristic.

SDCowboy

I sure hope not. Is it too much to ask for a current era COD again? Do they all have to be futuristic now?

Does almost every shooter now need to be? I mean, come on...

SDCowboy

I always thought with their 3 dev cycle that one should do past, one present and one future. Then nothing get's too played out.

SpartanN92

Banned
Fans: "WWII OR MW4 pleaseeeeeeeee"

Activision: "We hear you loud and clear... You want the 5th futuristic game in a row!!!"

Fans: "NOOOOOO GODDAMMIT!!!..." *Buys game anyway knowing they won't like it*

Auctopus

Activision: "We hear you loud and clear... You want the 5th futuristic game in a row!!!"

Those "fans" are not the ones who are buying the copies year after year.

Ugh... Not another futuristic COD. Was really hoping they would bring it back to at least a modern time. Maybe it will be really good though. Either way Battlefield and Gears will suffice.

a916

I pray Activision doesn't listen to the dozens of people clamouring for a WW2 title...

Top Bottom