• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dead Space 2 Unveiled In Next OPM

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems the current issue of OPM has a teaser for next month's issue with a modified version of this piece of Dead Space concept art: http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/dead_space_08.jpg

Having seen the scan it's literally the exact same piece with a gray filter and some zoom.

Here's the original story:

Goonl!ne said:
In the latest issue of Official Playstation Magazine, a new, unannounced horror sequel is teased in the ‘Next Month’ section. What could it be? Are those tentacles coming out of a gas mask? What are those letters on the top of the creature’s head? Why the odd, view obstructing grill? After sending the picture to forensics, we’ve discovered that the game is Dead Space 2. How? Well, after a quick search for Dead Space Concept Art, here’s what came up: Recognize The Mask? That means you can expect the first info and screenshots next month, in Issue 40.
Source: http://goonlinegames.net/2009/11/23/unannounced-horror-sequel-teased-in-opm-is-dead-space-2/

Edit: Apparently the issue goes on sale December 22nd. I'm thinking we'll see it at the VGAs as well.

Edit 2: Okay, hopefully teaser page scans are allowed, since they seem to be based on this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363243&highlight=Edge

Teaser Page:

v5y9s3.jpg

Concept Art:

i44j7t.jpg

Bigger version of teaser page: http://gamzsonev3.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/pb230119.jpg

Animator

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuuuu

bring it on! One of my fav games of this generation. I cant wait to see what they do with the sequel.

Nizz

Oh man, nice! I loved the first one, can't wait to see what they have in store for 2. I'm kinda hoping for no forced co-op.

I loved the feeling of isolation in part one and I think it would kill the mood having a forced AI partner with you.

Kevtones

Dead Space is one of the best games this gen. Dead Space Extraction is also aces and is required play for any fan. Love it.

LifEndz

Anyone here got a subscription to OPM? I had one when they first started and found their reviews to be a bit too glowing. Don't get me wrong, I hate the overly-pessimistic I'm a reviewer so I must find everything negative reviews of some sites/mag but they were giving out 4 stars like candy. Thinking about subscribing again and wondering if it's worth the 18 per.

Oh yeah, Dead Space was an unexpected hit. Hope they focus on making a great sequel rather than capitalizing off of a popular brand.

Dascu

~Devil Trigger~ said:
dunno if im wanting another Dead Space now

but if they got new ideas, go ahead.
I'm sure there's still a lot of chores to be done on the Ishimura. Isaac should take a look at that plumbing in sector B-5. I heard some of the Necromorphs' showers aren't working.

Dascu

v5y9s3.jpg

That's Dead Space alright. I wonder if they'll use some plotpoints from Extraction (
Why that girl was immune, for instance.
).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
one of those rare games that lived up to and surpassed every expectation i had for it. it out-resident-evilled RE5 in my book. i cannot wait to see what they've got in store for the sequel.

LifEndz said:
Anyone here got a subscription to OPM? I had one when they first started and found their reviews to be a bit too glowing. Don't get me wrong, I hate the overly-pessimistic I'm a reviewer so I must find everything negative reviews of some sites/mag but they were giving out 4 stars like candy. Thinking about subscribing again and wondering if it's worth the 18 per.

Oh yeah, Dead Space was an unexpected hit. Hope they focus on making a great sequel rather than capitalizing off of a popular brand.
I have OXM and I like them a lot, second favorite magazine after Edge.

Cannot wait for Dead Space 2, hope Isaac is back.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I feel a little mixed about this just like BioShock 2.

The first game featured a hero with a personal motivation. The second game will either not feature Isaac or he will and there won't really be a personal motivation anymore.

The first game worked well because, like System Shock 2, it took place in a contained and fully realized environment. The on-land portion of Dead Space wasn't as nice and if DS2 ends up being more open ended I think that could hurt it. On the other hand, it's not like Isaac is going to arrive on another ship mere moments after the Necromorphs fuck it up.

When I played through the game, I went for the one weapon only achievement. It was fun. But I feel kinda like they already got quite a lot of mileage out of the monster designs they had. I worry about their ability to come up with new Necromorphs that are fun to amputate in new ways.

It was a great game though. Felt more like System Shock than BioShock did.

Excellent. DS is among the best new IPs of the generation.
Stumpokapow said:
I feel a little mixed about this just like BioShock 2.

The first game featured a hero with a personal motivation. The second game will either not feature Isaac or he will and there won't really be a personal motivation anymore.

The first game worked well because, like System Shock 2, it took place in a contained and fully realized environment. The on-land portion of Dead Space wasn't as nice and if DS2 ends up being more open ended I think that could hurt it. On the other hand, it's not like Isaac is going to arrive on another ship mere moments after the Necromorphs fuck it up.

When I played through the game, I went for the one weapon only achievement. It was fun. But I feel kinda like they already got quite a lot of mileage out of the monster designs they had. I worry about their ability to come up with new Necromorphs that are fun to amputate in new ways.

It was a great game though. Felt more like System Shock than BioShock did.
I agree that it'd be just fine as a standalone game, and as a sort of game interpretation of the modern sci-horror B-thriller (Virus, Pandorum, Event Horizon, etc) replete with OMG SURPRISE ENDING VIOLIN STING and the Company Person betraying everyone, but there's an opportunity to expand the universe here and I'm at least a little bit curious to see how they handle it. The same goes for Bioshock 2 - I absolutely acknowledge that there's a strong possibility that it won't live up to its predecessor in either case, but the overall atmosphere and polish of each original game won me over enough that I'm curious to see what can be done in a sequel. Call it hopeful caution.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I hope there's more "outside" environments in this, like the last level on that Planet(moon? i forgot)

we can still have a ship but i hope you're not trap in it for most of the game anymore.

Top Bottom