• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dead Space 2 Unveiled In Next OPM

Darkpen

Banned
Dave1988 said:
It was a hallucination.
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Not a hallucination caused by the Marker, it was caused by Isaac's traumatic experiences and broken mind.
Do either of you have anything to back up those statements, or is that just conjecture?

Honestly, no matter if the Nicole necromorph was real or not, that was a very weird ending. There's no real reason for him to hallucinate her presence, but at the same time, it seemed like he was pretty far into his trip when she appeared; it's not like there would be a lot of space for hiding in such a tiny craft.

New Arrivals
Intensive Care
Course Correction
Obliteration Imminent
Lethal Devotion
Environmental Hazard
Into the Void
Search and Rescue
Dead on Arrival
End of Days
Alternate Solutions
Dead Space

Darkpen said:
Do either of you have anything to back up those statements, or is that just conjecture?

U K Narayan said:
New Arrivals
Intensive Care
Course Correction
Obliteration Imminent
Lethal Devotion
Environmental Hazard
Into the Void
Search and Rescue
Dead on Arrival
End of Days
Alternate Solutions
Dead Space

Pretty much. Also, if you look at Nicole... she looks semi-human. There's a slight glow around her as well if I recall correctly. Nothing like the Necromorphs. No blades, no screwed up exo-skeleton, nothing. And as far as we could see, they had to be converted, they were no human-esque zombies walking around. Plus, I think Isaac would've noticed a big-ass Necromorph in the backseat of his little pod. At least, I am of the opinion it is a hallucination. He doesn't die, but he he doesn't get out scot-free, so to speak.

We still don't really know what the mind control exerted by the Marker does or what its purpose is, but the ending with hallucination-Nicole, even though its main purpose is to fulfill the genre trope of a 'final scare,' indicates that whatever the Marker's purpose is, it isn't finished with Isaac.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Looking up on the Dead Space wiki regarding Nicole:
I'm gonna say it wasn't a hallucination.
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Nicole_Brennan#Events_of_Dead_Space
The Executive Producer of the game has confirmed that Isaac is still alive, implying that Nicole really was a hallucination, or that Isaac managed to fight her off.

However, it should be noted as significant that Isaac was initially locked out of the pilot compartment of the shuttle, and then the door inexplicably unlocked on its own. This would seem to imply that Nicole herself unlocked it for him, thus indicating she wasn't a hallucination.
What do you guys think? Also theres a cool pic of
her, from the ending, without the FX.

Im gonna pick it up again. I have the urge to try for the Platinum. Good thing I never delete my save gams.

Im gonna go with hallucination. To me, Nicole was a coping mechanism for Isaac when the marker was affecting him. It helped keep him sane. When it was over, and the realization she was dead, his psyche treated her as one of the necromorphs.

Darkpen said:
conjecture is conjecture :/

Pretty much. I still maintain that
Nicole Is Dead
should actually be
Nicole Is Dead...ish

It's the simplest, most logical explanation for everything that happens in the game. It explains:

The gameplay segments involving locked/unlocked doors...she's actually there, helping Isaac.
Her appearance throughout the game...she looks normal because that's how Isaac sees her.
Her appearance at the end of the game...she looks horrid because that's how she's actually looked throughout the game, and only now does Isaac see it, since he's no longer hallucinating due to the HiveMind and/or Marker.

It's the only explanation that doesn't run into glaring issues. If
Nicole is actually dead-dead then she can't actually be there, which means physical doors can't be locked/unlocked. That also means any Necromorphs trying to attack her have to be imaginary as well, yet they aren't, because they drop ammo for Isaac. If Nicole is actually dead, then she can't be on the shuttle with Isaac at the end, but Isaac can't be hallucinating, because the game establishes for 10 hours that the hallucinations are caused by the HiveMind and Marker...and at that point, the HiveMind and Marker aren't in control anymore. etc etc etc

Plywood said:
Looking up on the Dead Space wiki regarding Nicole:
I'm gonna say it wasn't a hallucination.
http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Nicole_Brennan#Events_of_Dead_Space

What do you guys think? Also theres a cool pic of
her, from the ending, without the FX.

Holy crap. I never really thought about the
door being locked when he first tries to get on the shuttle, so some one else must have been in there
. Can see it clearly in my head after playing through bunch of times but I never put 2 and 2 together.

That kind of changes my opinion on the whole
hallucination or not debate. Used to think she was just a hallucination, now I don't know...

Draft

She's a hallucination ghost, man. Obviously.

I also knew my boy Isaac was going to make it through. Killed like 1,000 alien zombies, he's not going to be clowned by one looking like his girlfriend.

Just copped Dead Space PC in the Steam sale and finally took the plunge on a wired X360 pad. I'm about to replay GOTY 2008 the way it was MEANT to be played.

True HD.
Full AA/AF
60FPS.
Headphones.

:drool Dead Space :drool

Cheeto

Draft said:
She's a hallucination ghost, man. Obviously.

I also knew my boy Isaac was going to make it through. Killed like 1,000 alien zombies, he's not going to be clowned by one looking like his girlfriend.

Just copped Dead Space PC in the Steam sale and finally took the plunge on a wired X360 pad. I'm about to replay GOTY 2008 the way it was MEANT to be played.

True HD.
Full AA/AF
60FPS.
Headphones.

:drool Dead Space :drool
Uhh, I believe the Dead Space designers had a couch in mind when they made the game...

DigiMish said:
You can say that all games of the survival horror genre like RE are boring. They're just methodical, requiring you to take things easy and cover every corner of the room. Different strokes for different folks.

I think Dead Space is one of the best games this generation personally. People say it didn't do anything new? What about the awesome zero-g gravity sequences? Tell me a game that did it so well and seamlessly before. What about the dismembering of the limbs? What about the spiffy, holographic UI?

There's many good things about Dead Space, and for a first iteration, Visceral Games pretty much nailed it, which should be impressive in its own right.

The love GAF gives to Dead Space is well deserved.

How exactly are you supposed to take things "easy" with mutant dogs biting on your ass? RE5 kept you on your toes

dalyr95

Loved the PS3 version, really wanted to play the PC version with M&K, but the camera feels so loose, its got some fucked up easing in and out. Made it unplayable in my opinion

teepo

The Blue Jihad said:
Nicole Is Dead
should actually be
Nicole Is Dead...ish

It's the simplest, most logical explanation for everything that happens in the game. It explains:

The gameplay segments involving locked/unlocked doors...she's actually there, helping Isaac.
Her appearance throughout the game...she looks normal because that's how Isaac sees her.
Her appearance at the end of the game...she looks horrid because that's how she's actually looked throughout the game, and only now does Isaac see it, since he's no longer hallucinating due to the HiveMind and/or Marker.

Nicole is actually dead-dead then she can't actually be there, which means physical doors can't be locked/unlocked. That also means any Necromorphs trying to attack her have to be imaginary as well, yet they aren't, because they drop ammo for Isaac. If Nicole is actually dead, then she can't be on the shuttle with Isaac at the end, but Isaac can't be hallucinating, because the game establishes for 10 hours that the hallucinations are caused by the HiveMind and Marker...and at that point, the HiveMind and Marker aren't in control anymore. etc etc etc

have you ever been on a hallucinogenics? you should try it sometime, it'll change your perspective on life.

U K Narayan said:
Maybe she was just an emanation from the marker that could interact with the physical world?

In that case, why would the Marker need Isaac at all? It could just generate a whole bunch of hallucinations in the crew of the Ishimura and have those hallucinations fix everything.

ArjanN

The Blue Jihad said:
Nicole Is Dead
should actually be
Nicole Is Dead...ish

Hmm. Have to disagree.

She's a hallucination. The closed doors are very easily explained:

a) the doors weren't really closed
b) he opened them himself
c) there were never any doors to begin with

and he just imaged Nicole opening the doors for him. Because his mind is affected you can't really trust anything the game shows you.

It also explains how she can conveniently show up every time.

Just because the hivemind is gone at the end doesn't mean Isaac is suddenly sane again. Not to mention other characters were also having hallucinations. Having a actual Zombie-Nicole walking around would just be dumb.

The Blue Jihad said:
In that case, why would the Marker need Isaac at all? It could just generate a whole bunch of hallucinations in the crew of the Ishimura and have those hallucinations fix everything.
Maybe Isaac is a hallucination! OH SHI-!

The true ending is that, at the end of the game, we get a third-person view of Isaac slumped in a chair in the original ship, because he died during the opening's crash landing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
°°ToMmY°° said:
pro gamers, coming through:
s1t2s0.jpg

Sadist

Dance In My Blood said:
pro gamers, coming through:
s1t2s0.jpg
Holy shit

Man, I only played Dead Space till chapter 4 or something at a friends house but I loved it. I'm getting a new PC in about a month so I'll go and grab the PC copy so I can prepare for Dead Space 2.

Top Bottom