• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dead Space 2 Unveiled In Next OPM

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
K' Dash said:
No. I like the feeling of being alone, it reminded me a little bit of Metroid, plus every fucking game has co-op already and tbh, those resources could go to good use to make an awesome near perfect campaign experience.

Please keep co-op away from this kind of game, seriously, did you not learned something from the RE5 fiasco?
I enjoyed RE5 as a result of the CO-OP (same room, two 360s, two displays, two people = win), but it definitely hurt the single player experience.

I used System Shock 2 as an example, however, as it did a better job of creating that feeling of isolation than Dead Space while still offering CO-OP. I'm suggesting that Shock 2 demonstrates that CO-OP need not negatively influence the single player experience.

Guardian Bob said:
I hope the focus is still single player. But a co-op campaign would be good also.
Hell fucking no. Dead Space doesn't need that shit. No need for EA to spend resources for online CO-OP.

Dyno

After reading this thread yesterday I felt compelled to fire the game up again. I just wanted to soak up the DS atmosphere and enjoy the ride without being too challenged so I started a new game on medium and got into the Scorpion Armour.

Three hours later I was in the middle of Chapter Three without dying. When played this way the story really moves and you're passing through some great environments in a short amount of time. It's just an A+ game through and through.

For DS2 a single player or co-op Horde/Firefight/Special Ops mode would totally work. Wave after wave of various infected could get really crazy.

Very much looking forward to this.

It was the better experience over RE5 by a smaller margin. Overall the combat in RE5 was just too outdated to stand a candle next to Dead Spaces mechanics and atmosphere. I can't imagine DS2 being better than RE6, but right now EA holds the crown in that battle.

I don't like the idea of co-op from the ground up for RE6 OR DS2, but a separate co-operative campaign would be very appealing.

Drame

As I just finished Dead Space and enjoyed it a lot, I'm highly excited about this.

Dead Space has to be one of the most atmospheric games of all time and I really hope that they'll keep it like that in the sequel too.

dark10x

Solo said:
I dont get the DS/RE5 debate. RE4 wipes the floor with both of them and still holds the crown.
Good point. Who wants any new games at all? Let's all just keep replaying RE4.

Solo

dark10x said:
Good point. Who wants any new games at all? Let's all just keep replaying RE4.

Works for me!

Seriously though, my point is why compare one to the other as if either is the highwater mark? Instead of comparing DS to RE5, compare DS to RE4, and RE5 to RE4.

dark10x

Solo said:
Works for me!

Seriously though, my point is why compare one to the other as if either is the highwater mark? Instead of comparing DS to RE5, compare DS to RE4, and RE5 to RE4.
Why even compare at all? Why not simply enjoy each game as its own unique entity?

Dead Space really wasn't anything like RE4 in terms of the type of experience it presented. There is room for both titles.

Furthermore, they didn't exactly have the luxury of being able to REDESIGN THE GAME three or four times over as Capcom did with RE4. When you have years upon years of development time, a limitless budget, and a lot of talent you can do a lot of things. To expect an unproven team within EA taking a risk with a limited budget and time frame to match something like RE4 is just unrealistic.

Basically, RE5 and Dead Space both provide unique experiences that differ from what RE4 delivered. In that sense, I can enjoy all three. I, for one, adored the CO-OP experience in RE5 due to my fortunate circumstances with the game. This resulted in an experience on par with RE4 for me personally.

Solo

dark10x said:
Why even compare at all? Why not simply enjoy each game as its own unique entity?

Im not the one who said we should compare! Just making an observation once this thread had predictably devolved into a RE5 vs DS debate. While I agree that we dont even need to debate full stop, if we're going to do it, at least debate between the right games.

Dyno

dark10x said:
Basically, RE5 and Dead Space both provide unique experiences that differ from what RE4 delivered. In that sense, I can enjoy all three. I, for one, adored the CO-OP experience in RE5 due to my fortunate circumstances with the game. This resulted in an experience on par with RE4 for me personally.

Absolutely. All three games were totally worth the money.

Minamu

ShinobiFist said:
Hell fucking no. Dead Space doesn't need that shit. No need for EA to spend resources for online CO-OP.
Well, they ARE spending some sort of resource on something online-related. I'd take an atmospheric coop mode over the mandatory CTF matches that most games seem to come with these days any day of the week. I think that's how most people view this here. Something regarding online seems almost inevitable at this point, and most of us would rather have the lesser of the two evils, aka online coop. As if it was up to us to choose :lol

co-op made Doom 3 scarier. i don't see why it couldn't do the same for Dead Space.

fear though as ever is personal. if it's the isolation that scares you most, co-op won't be scarier. for me, the added unpredictability of having another human character pushes the tension of 'oh my god anything can happen at any time' way way up.

Solo

Zeliard said:
Solo, continually lambasting Dead Space for repetition, and yet you are a huge Assassin's Creed 1 fan? :D

But I lambast AC1 for repetition too :lol The difference is, I have fun playing AC1. After about the third level, I was forcing myself to complete DS. It was my most regretted gaming purchase of 2008. Paid full price, had to force myself to finish it, sold it immediately. Thankfully Fallout 3 came right away to wash away the taste :D

With that said, Id honestly give DS2 a fair shot, since there were a lot of things I did like about it. They got the little things right.

dark10x said:

Dead Space really wasn't anything like RE4 in terms of the type of experience it presented. There is room for both titles.

Furthermore, they didn't exactly have the luxury of being able to REDESIGN THE GAME three or four times over as Capcom did with RE4. When you have years upon years of development time, a limitless budget, and a lot of talent you can do a lot of things. To expect an unproven team within EA taking a risk with a limited budget and time frame to match something like RE4 is just unrealistic.

This.

though for the record, enough with the RE4 fellating. The game was fun, but failed miserably in the "horror" aspect. the sense of dread and isolation present in RE 1 through code veronica, and that silent hill 1-3 absolutely excelled at is totally absent in RE 4 and 5.

It's a good action game, but the horror was gone. Dead space as an action game could have used a bit of improvement (not all of the weapons were worth using, imo) but the atmosphere was INCREDIBLE, and left you guessing about your character's sanity more than once, in addition to what was going to pop out behind the next vent grate.

Solo

RE4 isnt a survival horror game though. Its an action game, through and through, one that just happens to feature zombies (or ganados, if you like).

Desiato

ShockingAlberto said:
Dead Space's horror was nothing to write home about. The game basically had one trick - things come out of vents! - and used that trick liberally.
And the atmosphere and incredible sound design.

Haunted

Dead Space was fantastic, amazing sound design and overall Top 3 game of 2008. Loved Extraction as well, immensely looking forward to DS 2.

Desiato said:
And the atmosphere and incredible sound design.

This. it's the atmosphere, sound design, set design, etc. that really makes for a creepy game. especially the sound.

those of you unimpressed by dead space, play it again in surround sound, or with a decent set of headphones. I guarantee it'll change your opinion of the game.

I wonder if this game will confuse the storyline even more. They've had a comic, a movie, and two games all showing the same event, and they couldn't keep things straight.

Solo

If you say so :lol I was mostly chuckling at your presumption that myself (and others who didnt love the game) must be either mentally deficient and/or bitter. The only thing Im bitter about is people finding greatness in a game where I can perceive none. Other than that, I have no reason to be bitter. Im not a fanboy of any series nor any console, so I have no irrational reason to hate on the game.

acevans2

This news inspired me to put the game back in today. I got my Maxed Out trophy, now to beat Impossible mode. I've only been playing on Easy so it might be a bit of a challenge. :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Manmademan said:
those of you unimpressed by dead space, play it again in surround sound, or with a decent set of headphones. I guarantee it'll change your opinion of the game.

I don't have any problem with the sound design, it was great. Doing the same garbage over and over and over again in similar looking environments is not fun.

Solo

beelzebozo said:
i really am just dumbstruck that anyone could play it and not see anything impressive about it.

Ive already said that the production values are great. Nice graphics (artistic and technical), great sound design. And the gameplay is certainly no slouch. But its boring as sin and repetitive as me in this thread. My final word on DS: its like that hot girl in high school. Gorgeous, popular, well dressed, but shallow and boring.

Package a better game with those production values for Dead Space 2, and Ill convert.

DigiMish

You can say that all games of the survival horror genre like RE are boring. They're just methodical, requiring you to take things easy and cover every corner of the room. Different strokes for different folks.

I think Dead Space is one of the best games this generation personally. People say it didn't do anything new? What about the awesome zero-g gravity sequences? Tell me a game that did it so well and seamlessly before. What about the dismembering of the limbs? What about the spiffy, holographic UI?

There's many good things about Dead Space, and for a first iteration, Visceral Games pretty much nailed it, which should be impressive in its own right.

The love GAF gives to Dead Space is well deserved.

I'm going to have to side with Solo on this. I had to force myself just to get to Chapter 6 and at that point I decided to give the game a rest for awhile.

If they can fix some of the deficient aspects that Solo mentioned in DS2, I'm there.

KGKK

Banned
Loved Dead Space, one of my favorite games of this gen. Definitely better than RE5. Will buy DS2 day one.

ShockingAlberto said:
Dead Space's horror was nothing to write home about. The game basically had one trick - things come out of vents! - and used that trick liberally.
Play it on the hardest difficulty and try telling me that again. Dead Space was a nightmare.

...in a good way!

Oreoleo

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Play it on the hardest difficulty and try telling me that again. Dead Space was a nightmare.

...in a good way!

<3 <3 <3

You can always ALWAYS tell which posters are the ones that played through the game on medium difficulty :D

Scarecrow

There's one section of Dead Space that really got to me. It was pretty early in the game, I think when you get to the medical wing. At some point you're in a pretty brightly lit room and have to leave to go into a nearly completely dark hallway. It was the first time I really didn't want to leave a room in a game. That bright room was my oasis. I just knew horror lurked in the next hallway.

I was right.

I didn't know this was a DS vs RE thread. I still think both RE4 and RE5 are better than Dead Space, the action in DS doesn't come close to RE5. But DS does the horror thing way better.

The article needs to come out already. Maybe then people will stop arguing about stupid shit and have something actually productive to talk about.

Only downfall of that game is that it had no SPICE. At first everything was pretty damn cool. But 30 minutes into it I was bored as hell. Can't really complain though, bought it for $20. Hopefully DS2 does something about this like AC2.

ShockingAlberto said:

Yeah, for me Dead Space was more about "tension" like RE4 rather than "horror", still a fantastic game, but I feel that if the game were designed like an old fashioned RE game, would have been a masterpiece at it is is a great game still.

No more overpriced costumes this time, the only one that comes free on the game looks utterly stupid

bangladesh said:
Only downfall of that game is that it had no SPICE. At first everything was pretty damn cool. But 30 minutes into it I was bored as hell. Can't really complain though, bought it for $20. Hopefully DS2 does something about this like AC2.

More SPICE. Got it. You see this codecow? DS2 better bring moar SPICE.

bangladesh said:
Only downfall of that game is that it had no SPICE.

Dune-Game-2000S-PC.jpg

Top Bottom