• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Deck Nine's new narrative game for E3 is a Life Is Strange prequel

Dontnod is still making Vampyr. Presumably once that's done they'll make season 2 of LiS. Maybe it's in preproduction and the prequel will fill in the gap.

Dontnod is two different teams - one's Vampyr, the other Life is Strange (Michel Koch, Raoul Barbet and Luc Baghast (SP) the leads).

Wouldn't be surprised if those three are exec producer on this whilst working on Season 2. If they have the writer of Season 1 who's said to be doing Season 2 as well writing the prequel, my confidence will go up greatly.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You make it sound like people interested in a sequel with different characters yet not about beating a dead horse with an unnecessary prequel is somehow hypocritical, and it's not. Get outta here with your "it's other people who are wrong" mentality.
What even is your last sentence? I never said anyone was wrong about anything. I'm allowed to have an opinion, and I definitely feel like complaining about something extra is a little asinine, especially when people are already getting what they want.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think it's hypocritical, no. People have their own impressions of everything and are certainly going to have their own idea of what they want and what they don't want. I just think that, as is usual practice for the gaming community, the negativity towards something we know almost nothing about - especially in light of it NOT denying people the sequel they actually do want - is a bit overblown.

I'm all on board for this experience. I'm not a fan of prequels but, the main thing I like about Life is Strange was the characters. I'm skeptical that a Life is Strange 2 with a new cast will do much for me. Also this gives me a chance to see if two theories I have could be right.

1. I felt that possibly that Rachel had the opposite powers of Max. She could go into the future but not the past. I came up with the story in my head that Rachel saw that she was destine to die, and flung herself forward after her death. That's what was actually causing the destruction. When Chloe and Max met her at the light house, they had to convince Rachel to accept her fate

2. Max possibly got her powers right after she saw a photo of Rachel. Rachel's powers not only include going forwards in time but being able to jump out of photos in some way.

EulaCapra

Well, I thought Rachel was just another teenage ho with regular ol' problems whose death I cheered for when she got involved in that spoilery stuff.

Anything that can change my perception of this stupid-ass-ho-who-should-know-better is more than welcome.

SZips

I'm on board for both this and the next season. I just finished Life is Strange last week after somehow avoiding all spoilers for it over the past couple of years.

At least this time the ending won't blindside me nearly as much? I mean hopefully it won't, but who knows.

uceenk

nobody asked about prequel, so the title would be "Life is normal" ?

hope the rumor isn't true, however if it not the case ... i would probably still bite it, even though this prequel is slightly worse than the original

story driven/interactive movie is my favorite genre, i always need more of this genre in my life considering the fact there aren't much game like this

Well, I thought Rachel was just another teenage ho with regular ol' problems whose death I cheered for when she got involved in that spoilery stuff.

Anything that can change my perception of this stupid-ass-ho-who-should-know-better is more than welcome.

She got drugged and died from a overdose after being kidnapped by that dickhead Nathan. Who then buried her in a ditch with no trace to be found so he could be closer to Jefferson his serial killer father-like figure who then killed him

But go on ahead and cheer for it if you want.😉

RedHill

Banned

You cheered for a
teenage girl getting drugged, raped, and murdered?

Joeku

tumblr_nol8uloAA01tvuj3eo1_500.gif

Shaanyboi

Banned

You cheered that a
teenage girl got kidnapped, drugged, raped and murdered?
The fuck is wrong with you

levyjl1988

Banned
I would have liked it if they moved on to a new cast rather than reoccuring ones, but I guess reusing assets rather than make new ones can offer more time spent on creating stories.

aaaaa0

I would have liked it if they moved on to a new cast rather than reoccuring ones, but I guess reusing assets rather than make new ones can offer more time spent on creating stories.

They could do the American Horror Story thing where returning cast plays different roles each season.

Order

...damn

EulaCapra

You cheered that a
teenage girl got kidnapped, drugged, raped and murdered?
The fuck is wrong with you
"Rachel...
Was an intelligent teenage girl with a bright future ahead of her.
And she threw it all away for two older men that need to be held accountable.
She got mixed in with hard drugs and a destructive lifestyle.
She fell in not one, but two scandalous relationships.
She got out of one abusive relationship from her drug dealer boyfriend.
But then she fell head over heels for her teacher and entered in a salacious relationship with him. It's his fault. It's all his fault.
She didn't know about the twisted secrets the teacher held. Or the more twisted surrogate son he conspired with."

Ice-T: "M'am, I'm sorry about your loss. She should've taken a lesson from our 18-seasons-and-counting award-winning show about the dangers of dumb, privileged white teen girls getting involved in hard drugs, partying, and older men and expect actual life-or-death consequences. Again, sorry for your loss, M'am."

oQtgVua.gif

I'm sorry to try to make light of the situation, but I had a pal who made terrible new friends and fucking died from a heroin-induced seizure, so I have little sympathy anymore for even fictional people like Rachel who are smart enough to know what they're getting themselves into but dumb enough to not get out of there before it's too late. Rachel is literally just every 8th episode of SVU.

"Rachel...
But then she fell head over heels for her teacher and entered in a salacious relationship with him. It's his fault. It's all his fault.
She didn't know about the twisted secrets the teacher held. Or the more twisted surrogate son he conspired with."

Ice-T: "M'am, I'm sorry about your loss. She should've taken a lesson from our 18-seasons-and-counting award-winning show about the dangers of dumb, privileged white teen girls getting involved in hard drugs, partying, and older men and expect actual life-or-death consequences. Again, sorry for your loss, M'am."

oQtgVua.gif

I'm sorry to try to make light of the situation, but I had a pal who made terrible new friends and fucking died from a heroin-induced seizure, so I have little sympathy anymore for even fictional people like Rachel who are smart enough to know what they're getting themselves into but dumb enough to not get out of there before it's too late. Rachel is literally just every 8th episode of SVU.

...You are aware that your sympathy is supposed to be with the victim on SVU, right?

Hopefully this is played from Rachel's perspective because (spoilers for all of life is strange)
something was up the deer spirit that followed Max around and disappeared when they found Rachel's body

Fancolors

Boy, people will be pessimistic and negative about anything, won't they?

Sequel to LiS is announced. Oh boy!

Bonus prequel is announced. A game IN ADDITION to the sequel we're already getting. Boo, prequels suck! I hate Chloe! Why are they making this?

It's a side story, not the main sequel.
Danganronpa 3 taught me it is possible to retroactively make a story worse with a prequel.

I'd be more than up for this, but I'd also rather the original dev was working on it. I mean no offence, but who are Deck Nine?

edit: Oh! So this is in addition to the previously announced game? As you were, Deck Nine. :p

Roussow

Way more interested in the sequel, mostly because they'll likely treat LiS as an anthology series, or at least that's how I felt coming off the original season. I didn't think a prequel is necessary, but I'll check this out for sure, the first game is extraordinarily close to my heart.

Will keep an eye on this but I'm not all too interested in a prequel. Feel like we learned what we needed to in the first game and I'm guessing choices here will be completely meaningless since we know the outcome. Unless they add alternative​ non-canon endings.

Joeku

"Rachel...

oQtgVua.gif

Let's try this again because it didn't help the first time:

Please stop.

Kuraudo

Banned

I don't think a game needs to change your perception so much as you need to change your heart.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sure, we're getting a new setting and cast for Life is Strange for Season 2. But if this rumor is true, then I feel extremely disappointed.

This is by far the most uninteresting direction they could have taken Life is Strange. I love Chloe, and I would have loved to see her relation with Rachel more openly explored during the game, but I think the game worked better with some things unexplained. Trying to fill in the gaps doesn't necessarily make it a better story. It's done, it's had its conclusion. Let it stand on its own, for better or worse.

TrutaS

The only way I can see this game having sequels/prequels is if they introduce whole new characters everytime. A prequel as in a game set in the past, would be very interesting.

TheSun

Cool.

This'll show us the origin of Chloe's floating-pot-powers. Hoping the beastcrew does a play date of this.

Also good that this isn't interfering with the sequel. I'm kinda interested.

Xiofire

"Rachel...

To apply this to my comment on page 4, I think all the points you've made will be because
Rachel keeps trying to save Chloe by following the same path that Max does, resulting in the timeline getting more messed up.

Potentially to get close to the Vortex Club to foil their illegal activities as well as get closer to Nathan and unearth the Prescott's involvement and hostile push to take over Arcadia Bay?

I'd say this furthers the point. Rachel was using her powers to get close to these two, in hopes of unearthing all the bad that was going down in Arcadia Bay. We know Jefferson had victims before Rachel, so maybe she was getting close to try and take him down before he did any more harm but failed by trying to keep Chloe alive?

All we know about Rachel is how Chloe and the other locals of Arcadia Bay saw her actions from the outside looking in, as well as through hear say through town wide rumours. The main reason I'm excited for this game is that we will finally see from Rachel's perspective how all of this went down, and I bet it's not as it appeared in LiS.

Sheroking

Would you play as Chloe in this, or Rachel? Being Rachel would actually be pretty dope.

It would be sort of weird and grim to play a character
knowing it ends with her murder

That being said, I can't be excited for the prequel. Chloe sucked hard enough the first time around.

Bring on the sequel with the fresh cast.

Zomba13

Exactly what I didn't want from another Life is Strange. I wanted a new cast of characters in a different place, maybe a new power for the main character. I mean, I liked Chloe and everything but I don't need more of her and Rachel. Are they going to make it that Rachel actually also got some kind of powers? Or Chloe had powers but then at the end she gets time memory erased so she never remembers them when she and Max do their sleuthing?

Xiofire

Exactly what I didn't want from another Life is Strange. I wanted a new cast of characters in a different place, maybe a new power for the main character.

And you're still getting that.

LiS2 is still in development by Dontnod, with a new cast of characters and a new setting.

This is simply a prequel outsourced to another dev.

Square are just cashing in on the franchise's popularity.

I mean, I liked Chloe and everything but I don't need more of her and Rachel. Are they going to make it that Rachel actually also got some kind of powers? Or Chloe had powers but then at the end she gets time memory erased so she never remembers them when she and Max do their sleuthing?

It's heavily hinted in the first game that Rachel and Max are very, very much alike. There is also a lot of mystery around Rachel's character and what she was really doing. I don't think it's a far stretch to say that Rachel potentially has the same time travel powers as Max, or may even be the reason why Max is bequeathed the powers in the first game.

MaKTaiL

There were numerous hints that Rachel was also a time traveler in the first game. She was liked by everyone and always "used to say the right words" which is highly indictive of use of time travel to make people like you. It's just what happens with Max on the first game. Rachel ends up getting killed and her power is passed on to Max. She only finds out that she has these powers after going through a traumatic experience (in the bathroom).

I could even go further and say
Rachel was the first to sacrifice herself to save Chloe which might have been initially on the teacher's radar instead of Rachel.

While I'm definitely more excited for the sequel, I will still buy this on Day 1.

Yay! More LiS!

Also, love all the theories floating around in this thread :D

Top Bottom