• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Deck Nine's new narrative game for E3 is a Life Is Strange prequel

Joeku

Chloe? Hard pass.

And life is Strange is one of my top 10 favorite games

image.php

Chloe? Hard pass.

And life is Strange is one of my top 10 favorite games
Chloe was the weakest part of LiS for me unfortunately, since they clearly intended for us to love her.

But my hype for Rachel is overtaking me. I'm so excited for her to finally have a voice and a character.

Maxios

I'd be actually hella okay with this if this turns out to be legit. This could turn out to be the Fire Walk With Me to the original's Twin Peaks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Narrative driven prequels are almost always bad and even more commonly superfluous. Idol Minds don't have a great track record. I can't blame Square Enix for wanting to exploit the hell out of a successful IP but I am skeptical.

I guess I liked Chloe more than the average person did, happy to play through more of her story as long as another LIS is still coming too.

plushyp

Even though I liked LiS, I've had more than enough of Chloe shenanigans. No interest in a prequel focusing on her and Rachel so a hard pass for me.

Hopefully DontNod's sequel uses a new cast.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Boy, people will be pessimistic and negative about anything, won't they?

Sequel to LiS is announced. Oh boy!

Bonus prequel is announced. A game IN ADDITION to the sequel we're already getting. Boo, prequels suck! I hate Chloe! Why are they making this?

It's a side story, not the main sequel.

RedHill

Banned
Yeah maybe if you picked the wrong ending that didn't actually wrap everything up.
Which ending
explained how Max got her powers? Or why saving Chloe fucked up the timeline but saving Kate didn't?
Not to mention all the cut content from the last two episodes or the pointless side character interactions. I'd like this world to be a bit more fleshed out before we get the sequel and I'm happy this is doing that.

The beauty of the first season of LiS was how it mirrored a show like Twin Peaks, by going in to how this girl who was dead/missing may not have been the angel people thought she was. A prequel trying to fill in the blanks of Rachel's past is rather pointless since the audience knows all they need to for understanding Rachel and her relationship with Chloe in the context of her disappearance and death.

Maybe it won't be a prequel prequel, instead set in an alternate timeline where Chloe got the powers instead, or different powers? Not sure I'd be interested without a Scifi hook, tbh.

Which ending
explained how Max got her powers? Or why saving Chloe fucked up the timeline but saving Kate didn't?
Not to mention all the cut content from the last two episodes or the pointless side character interactions. I'd like this world to be a bit more fleshed out before we get the sequel and I'm happy this is doing that.

I don't see why not
explaining how Max got her powers
is a bad thing. I liked the fact they didn't go into detail with it, and I don't think it needed explaining for a satisfying conclusion.

In regards to saving Chloe vs saving Kate, the whole thing starts with Chloe dying, and everytime Max prevents it she just ends up being put in other situations where she's going to die. Kate didn't matter: the whole thing was that using her powers to save Chloe started the screw up.

Presumably if Max would've killed Nathan in the toilets somehow before he killed Chloe, that would've been a death that would cause the timeline to mess up, because it was directly preventing Chloe from dying.

RedHill

Banned
I don't see why not
explaining how Max got her powers
is a bad thing. I liked the fact they didn't go into detail with it, and I don't think it needed explaining for a satisfying conclusion.

In regards to saving Chloe vs saving Kate, the whole thing starts with Chloe dying, and everytime Max prevents it she just ends up being put in other situations where she's going to die. Kate didn't matter: the whole thing was that using her powers to save Chloe started the screw up.

Presumably if Max would've killed Nathan in the toilets somehow before he killed Chloe, that would've been a death that would cause the timeline to mess up, because it was directly preventing Chloe from dying.
Max's interference with time directly prevented Kate from dying. In the Bay ending, Max lets Chloe die, and Kate lives. In that ending, Kate should either be dead or also kick off the storm.

K probs this:
Rachel has powers that she uses to get everyone to like her. Maybe it's time travel like Max, and she gets it through doing some weird shit with Chloe. (Probably involving the tiki/deer/whateverthefuck)

Then we go Death Note and it messes up her timeline so by trying to come off as amazing to everyone, she overuses that shit and loses them when she needs them most. Or whatevs.

I don't really want a prequel.

yunbuns

I kinda hope Rachel doesn't haven't powers. The fact that in the end she was just a normal person with flaws who suffered a tragic end made her character that much stronger to me.

This. The fact that Rachel didn't have powers in the end pleasantly surprised even thought what truly happened to her was horrible. I liked the fact that was mostly shrouded in mystery. I also didn't like Chloe so I don't know how to feel about this.

There's the sequel It Will be 2 games afaik

I know, but I was kinda of hoping for someone new. Maybe you find out this power moves from someone else, and it leads to Max without directly involving Chloe and them. A prequel with Rachel and Chloe makes sense, but when you know the ending is leading to the first game, you know your end decision won't matter (unless they retcon it)

mollipen

Can we please not do this? Life is Strange doesn't need a prequel—everything it needed to be we already got. Especially coming from someone other than Dontnod.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Max's interference with time directly prevented Kate from dying. In the Bay ending, Max lets Chloe die, and Kate lives. In that ending, Kate should either be dead or also kick off the storm.

Chloe dying is what happens when the timeline is unmolested, meaning Kate living is supposed to happen. Thats the whole point. Once Chloe's body is discovered and Nathan is found out to be the killer (and he's way too rattled to not get caught) then he blows the whole lid off the Mr Jefferson thing and Rachel's body gets found. Max preventing Chloe from dying fucked all of that up and more, which is why time sent a tornado to kill everyone.

RedHill

Banned
*Peaks behind the curtain
I think this is a good idea.
It's a smart idea. Outside of Gaf there's a ton of fans that didn't want a new setting and cast. It now makes sense why DONTNOD announced they were making a sequel, so that fans that wanted a new setting and cast aren't turned off immediately. We're getting two things and that's great.

PK Gaming

Getting to know more about Rachel is nice but I really, really, really wanted a sequel with a brand new cast of characters.

PK Gaming

Bonus prequel is announced. A game IN ADDITION to the sequel we're already getting. Boo, prequels suck! I hate Chloe! Why are they making this?

Oh, so we're still getting the sequel? Perfect.

Seems more like DLC to the first game rather than being a whole new seperate entity.

Hopefully the sequel DontNod develops features a new setting and characters.

I'm still day one for both because I like adventures games that don't freeze every 10 minutes
non subtle NOD to Telltale's crap engine, and a pun it's twofor!

RedHill

Banned
Seems more like DLC to the first game rather than being a whole new seperate entity.

Hopefully the sequel DontNod develops features a new setting and characters.

I'm still day one for both because I like adventures games that don't freeze every 10 minutes (
not subtle NOD Telltale crap engine, and a pun it's twofor
I doubt a different developer is making their first endevour of their relaunch be a DLC episode to a game that's two years old. Plus the artwork says "EP1"

Arkeband

Banned

You make it sound like people interested in a sequel with different characters yet not about beating a dead horse with an unnecessary prequel is somehow hypocritical, and it's not. Get outta here with your "it's other people who are wrong" mentality.

Top Bottom