• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dell Fires 3000 US Employees. Fact: Requests 5000 Visas For Foreign Workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I feel that marketing and support just don't scale at the same demand as R&D. Someone marketing or doing support for let's say 10 products can probably also market 10 new products. The development of those products, though, usually requires many individuals who work on just that single product. So when you have two companies merging with many products, you will have redundancies in some sectors, but not in others. I don't think these people are being let go so that their positions can be filled by cheaper labor, I think these positions just no longer exist. Hence "overlapping positions".

As I said in another post, I work for a company that is a part of the new Dell Technologies umbrella. Before the Dell / EMC merger, our company was apart of EMC. We are currently hiring for software engineers, designers, product managers, and sales people across all of our US offices, as well as most international ones. Not so much right now for positions that aren't as product related. Here's the careers page as evidence: https://pivotal.io/careers (mods, I can take this down if it comes across as soliciting)

I feel like another accurate title for that article could be:

Rumor: Dell Fires 3000 US Employees. Fact: Has hired 10,000+ employees over last two years, not all domestic hires

spuckthew

Its not even a fact of American tech workers not accepting such low rates anymore, they just won't even try to hire them at it anymore.

This thread sounds all very doom-and-gloom for US workers, but if what you say has any grain of truth then it might be good for people overseas wanting to work in the States, like myself. I'm still hoping my company will transfer me to their new and ever-growing US office in a few months, but tbh my girlfriend is American so I'll probably have an easier time of it in the future regardless (or marriage lol).

I think this is being missed in this thread. H1-B workers from India are usually highly qualified and skilled. I don't think it's a 1:1 fire local hire H1-B worker for the same position in this case.

I wouldn't say that. A fair number of them are very much not top tier on the software side. Some of them are but a fair majority of them are not. The same is also true for recent graduates from the US. In truth, straight out of university, I'd rather pick a U.S. citizen over an H1-B. Not because I hate outsourcing or I think U.S. students are better, it's because the language and communication barrier(speaking and writing english requires more than just understanding words and grammar. understanding context is a huge portion of communication which non-native english speakers will lack). with someone fresh out of university is a very big hurdle prolonging training phase by 1-2 more years than normal.

That said, in this case, it looks marketing, support, and supply-chain redudancies which typically are not replaced by foreign workers. You only need so many people in marketing and support especially when support overflow is typically routed to international support offices anyway so no need to bring in workers. Supply-chain only needs so many people to make sure the machines are doing their job.

therealjay

Neo Member
Total bullshit.

Makes my sympathize with the Trump people. Obviously they lack nuance and a good half of them are shitty racists but I get the underpinnings of their frustrations.

This is also kind of my issue with capitalism and the immigration thing together. The idea is grow grow grow no matter what. I've seen people talk about the black and white birth rates both being under 2.0 so we need to bring in more people

Everyone needs to wake up to the fact that the world can't sustatin this growth. We need to be moving in the opposite direction. What we precisely need in every country is less people. Increased energy production and land use are going to kill us all otherwise.

And the funny thing is progressives in these fields know this but they compartmentalize it for some reason and don't see how it connects. We need to fix this shit and no one is talking about it Democrat or Republican.

butzopower

proud of his butz
In truth, straight out of university, I'd rather pick a U.S. citizen over an H1-B. Not because I hate outsourcing or I think U.S. students are better, it's because the language and communication barrier(speaking and writing english requires more than just understanding words and grammar. understanding context is a huge portion of communication which non-native english speakers will lack). with someone fresh out of university is a very big hurdle prolonging training phase by 1-2 more years than normal.

I think you are ignoring how long many people have been studying English. Everyone I've worked with on an H-1B has either learned English from a very early age or spoke it natively (UK / Europe / Australia). Most of those people were not immediate graduates, I'd say the average age was 26.

Still not as bad as when companies force employees out, and before they fire them make them train their foreign counterpart who will be doing their job for pennies on the dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom