• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: EA has the WWE license [Up: Or Take-Two?]

bookt.jpg

mB9id81.jpg

ksdixon

How long do I have before the 'Community Creations' servers for WWE 13 go offline? I need to grab all the created wrestlers I will ever need.

Dre3001

2k basketball games are amazing and the best in the business, heck EA hasnt released a basketball game in two years because they couldnt compete

On the other end 2k baseball games are garbage

So really it could go either way

EA's wrestling games (and the MMA game) were generally pretty good... way better than the trash that has been the WWE / Smackdown games for this generation.

I wouldn't be upset at either of these, EA or 2K... Just hoping they breath some life into the license

Ugh. Seems like another yearly exploitable franchise, so it's perfect for them. Lots of DLC options as well.

Sports games are always yearly, and the WWE franchise has hardly been a beacon of progression nor avoided DLC....

This could be a real positive though, because EA make some damn good sports games. Wonder if they'll stick with Yukes and supervise or take it into a more internal studio.

Edit: Or Take2 ^ same applies

ksdixon

I like YUKE's engine. It's THQ cutting this and chopping that off, and shoe-horning in this years 'new exciting feature' that has fucked with the engine too much over the years. Namely Brian Williams being a douche and removing 300+ moves which were fine just because he didn't think they looked good (didn't replace anywhere near all of them either).

RiverBed

Banned
that's fantastic news, if true. EA has amazing production values. we'll finally get a great looking game with good online MP.
I've always hated how WWE games looked.

I like YUKE's engine. It's THQ cutting this and chopping that off, and shoe-horning in this years 'new exciting feature' that has fucked with the engine too much over the years. Namely Brian Williams being a douche and removing 300+ moves which were fine just because he didn't think they looked good (didn't replace anywhere near all of them either).

Yukes engine was fine when it debuted about 15 years ago, but it should have been replaced a LONG time ago

Well this sucks if Take Two gets it. They will more than likely use Yukes and continue the shit line of games coming. With EA you are guaranteed they won't use Yukes. Whoever gets it that doesn't use Yukes I will be happy with, but I still think EA would be the best bet as they have the most money to invest into it.

KissVibes

Banned

Nice try, Yukes employee.

Their engine is shit. The visuals are dated (the models seem to get worse every year) and the animations are abysmal. The only redeeming feature in the WWE games are the customization and storyline aspects and those could be greatly improved.

quest

Not Banned from OT
After talking to a friend who loved the old N64 games as much as me. It might be best to let yukes make this years game. So they can get a different team or new team to spend a lot of time working on a new engine with out having to rush it out. Let them really have time to polish it up. I can wait another year if we get something built from the ground up not to suck like the smakdown games. He is a PC only gamer these days but said he would buy either next gen system day 1 if they ever got the old N64 games on XLBA or PSN lol. Be nice to kick yukes to the curb but I am scared if they did it now any rushed game would not be well recieved and they run back to yukes.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'd rather have Wrassle GAF take the license. At least they'll make it somewhat enjoyable.... or maybe not.

Hell just make sure the lead designer was a huge fan of no mercy and it will be a huge upgrade from the current games. Hell wrassle GAF would just make it no mercy with updated graphics lol and that be a great starting point for me.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'd love a new game based on the No Mercy Engine. I also wouldn't mind a new game that played like Day of Reckoning/HCTP.

that the gamecube game? If it was that was the last wrestling game I could stomach. It was not no mercy but played enough like it to make it fun.

After talking to a friend who loved the old N64 games as much as me. It might be best to let yukes make this years game. So they can get a different team or new team to spend a lot of time working on a new engine with out having to rush it out. Let them really have time to polish it up. I can wait another year if we get something built from the ground up not to suck like the smakdown games. He is a PC only gamer these days but said he would buy either next gen system day 1 if they ever got the old N64 games on XLBA or PSN lol. Be nice to kick yukes to the curb but I am scared if they did it now any rushed game would not be well recieved and they run back to yukes.

The problem is you are not going to get a company to fund the development of two wrestling games at the same time. They are successful, but not THAT successful. So it's either Yukes picks right up where they left off (a 99% certainty), or no WWE game until at least late 2014 (can't see WWE letting that happen). I'm hoping for a miracle here, but we all know it going to be Yukes...then, now, forever

KissVibes

Banned
The problem is you are not going to get a company to fund the development of two wrestling games at the same time. They are successful, but not THAT successful. So it's either Yukes picks right up where they left off (a 99% certainty), or no WWE game until at least late 2014 (can't see WWE letting that happen). I'm hoping for a miracle here, but we all know it going to be Yukes...then, now, forever

WWE 14 is halfway done. If 2K started now they'd have a little less than 2 years but could get something new out the door by next Christmas. Or shit, let Yukes do WWE 14 and 15, which'll give them roughly three years to do a brand new game. They wont but it's entirely possible that they could.

EA sure as fuck would do that. Just because it would mean more profit for them and more control over the development. Plus a better game than Yukes could make, as they already have some talent.

Omega

Banned
The only playable characters would be Kane, Bryan, and AJ.

In other words, the best wrestling game ever.

lol i thought everyone in wrasslegaf turned on AJ except for Aiii?

I refuse to believe that's real.

Either shopped or a modded/usermade Booker T.

edit: or the two bottom captions exchanged, I suppose.

woah, don't disrespect usermade creations. I downloaded a Ryback that looks better than the DLC Ryback

BD1

Banned
Wasn't Yukes less involved with the WWE games in recent times? I thought THQ San Diego was doing a lot of the development?

hmmmmm this is getting crazy, lol everyone buying everything.

take two would be cool news, but i think EA got it, they would be smart to but idk if i want that

EA would be the best chance for gamers and for the series to move away from Yukes. Whoever gets it just needs to take a year off and put out the best game possible on next gen systems in 2014. Yukes gameplay is horrible. Nothing is fun about it at all. I'd rather see them give the makers of Firepro a shot at it. Now that was a wrestling game.

UberTag

I'd rather have Wrassle GAF take the license. At least they'll make it somewhat enjoyable.... or maybe not.
Hardly. WrassleGAF just wants more Cena.
I saw that sign. It infected John from the stands with invisible stupid powers that led to the worst promo of all-time and getting shit on backstage.
(
You need to keep going to WWE events. You are the one true power that can end Cena.
)

mooooose

Wasn't Yukes less involved with the WWE games in recent times? I thought THQ San Diego was doing a lot of the development?
Afaik here is how things went this gen

Acclaim San Diego made TNA impact. They had a ton of work done and it was very ambitious but making a wrestling game from the ground up takes a fuck ton of work so despite mo capping hundreds of moves, they had to shit out a game to make schedule. The game had great graphics, great animation, great controls, but a weak amount if content and gameplay flaws. But still, the base of a good wrestling game. Acclaim sucked though and closed a couple months later, killing the next TNA game.

However, THQ bought the studio. This was around the time THQ was making spinoff wrestling games (legends of wrestlemania, wwe brawl) as they figured the market was big enough for a sim (lol) game and something else. This team went on to make all stars, which plays NEARLY THE SAME as the TNA impact game and features tons of the same animations and share controls. The game was very well received and sold well but when THQ hit hard times, it was one of the first studios to go. Really sad because they clearly made two good wrestling games that, with time, could've been great.

At the same time, yukes was making smackdown vs raw. Eventually in 2008 I believe, as the games went next gen, THQ started having a heavier hand in the series became full on producers. They now dictated the addition of characters, moves, match types, etc. they also made the decision to fully model the roster by hand rather than do full body scans (which is why we have the horrific booker t among many others). Why they made that decision is beyond me but it was around this time that the cycle of adding and removing then adding and again removing things really started to take place and the games somehow got even worse from 2007 on.

I will say in yukes defense, making a year wrestling game is hard. Wrestling is complex, requires tons of very well done and relative animations, among many other challenges. Having said that, they did quite possibly the shittiest job of handling that responsibility ever and lacked any pride in their work.

Please be 2K and have Spike make the game. (fire pro wrestling returns on ps2)

I have a bad feeling if 2K gets the license they will continue having Yukes do the game. I really hope not, but it's probably likely. Are 2K Sports even wrestling fans? I would love for Spike to make an updated Firepro as that series was incredible and the most fun I've ever had in a wrestling game. I love the vast array of characters you could create to pretty much make any wrestler out, the gameplay was incredible, and CRITICAL! I used to love beating the shit out of an opponent until I criticaled them and then continually try to beat the shit out of the opponent and pick him up fast enough so the ref wouldn't end the match. Spent sooooooooo many hours in this game. Let's face it, I doubt any studio out today could really do worse than Yukes though, especially after having 15 years with a series.

meta4

Wrestling started to suck after the attitude era ended so I could care less who has this license to be honest. Even nihilistic software can take this shitty license now..

Wrestling started to suck after the attitude era ended so I could care less who has this license to be honest. Even nihilistic software can take this shitty license now..

Wrestling sucks now, but a good wrestling game can still be fun to play, especially if there is a good one with online play. I don't watch wrestling anymore, but I played WWE 13(it was horrible if you haven't played it). Either way, I guess we will find out who got the license tomorrow.

Top Bottom