• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: First Hitman 5 Details, New Promotional Art [Update 2: Crisis Averted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Dick Laurent said:
a reboot is warranted in this case though. almost none of the people that made the hitman games are working for IOI anymore. take a look, http://www.reto.dk/retoweb/ -- company info has a list of names. that's almost all programmers and artists from the hitman team

codename 47 http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hitman-codename-47/credits
silent assassin http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hitman-2-silent-assassin/credits
contracts http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hitman-contracts/credits
blood money http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hitman-blood-money/credits

the director on blood money also isn't with IOI anymore either. hitman5 was probably scheduled to be released in 2008, the previous games came out 2000 2002 2004 and 2006. but all the retomoto people left IOI in 2008.

retomoto are currently working on a battlefield style ww2 team shooter, with huge levels vehicles and capture points. it's launched and set up from a quite nice web interface, although I can't tell in the current alpha build on the server if the game will turn out good in the end. but it probably will considering the experience this team has got. it's still really early. here's the site for it http://www.heroesandgenerals.com/landing/index.php

Oh no. I think I already lost all my faith in this project. No wonder IO sucked this hard since Blood Money.

Xater said:
Oh no. I think I already lost all my faith in this project. No wonder IO sucked this hard since Blood Money.

There's been a very steady stream of the original Hitman crew leaving IOI since the first one. It's not like everyone left suddenly after Blood Money.

MMaRsu

Banned
Snuggler said:
I would have liked to see a stronger resemblance to Timothy Olyphant.

Are you fucking joking? Let's hope so
Hey IO Interactive.

I am writing this email on behalf of Hitman 5.. I've seen some concept art, and read some new facts and I'm very dissapointed so far. You absolutely cannot change 47 and the game mechanics too much! Blood Money was so close to a perfect game, why would you not build upon that foundation? Giving 47 a stubble? For gods sakes, why? Just because you can sell more games to casual gamers who didn't even buy the previous Hitman games? I understand that making games is a business but nonetheless, you can't betray your current fanbase. It has been a really long time since Blood Money, so to develop something that doesn't need a reboot, but somehow you still think that's what this series needs.

It does NOT need a reboot. It does not need run,gun & cover segments.

What the Hitman series needs is more open missions, diverse level design and amazing level design ( like most of the old missions from earlier games ). This is a STEALTH series, do not change that please! I understand that the words of one fan might not be enough, but go and have a look over at Neogaf.com for some 'impressions' from big fans of the series.

Please don't screw this up, please don't dumb it down and pander to the retarded casual gamer. They already have Call of Duty and don't want/need anything else.
The real fans of Hitman are standing by you, but only if Hitman 5 turns out to be good. Rebooting it and changing the core mechanics too much will just make it a FLOP.

Sent this email to IO :lol . Doubt they'll respond but whatever..

Shitty email btw :lol

kamspy said:
Video Game Industry:

"Everything has to be a cover based third person shooter."

It will still have the classic missions, but mix things up every now and then. It's not like this suddenly has become Kane & Lynch 3.

Polk

kamspy said:
Video Game Industry:

"Everything has to be a cover based third person shooter."
Well to be honest, gunplay in Hitman was always shit. So if they want to change it, cover based mechanic isn't that bad (just not too hitman-y).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
*sigh*

No one from the previous teams that worked on the games being present for this one would explain a lot of the *awful* changes. They also managed to take one of the most badass looking characters and make him look incredibly lame....

Oh god, this is JUST LIKE THE DmC SCENARIO. WTF.

:(

Dabanton said:
That's part of the appeal it catered to the more cerebral player. And made you actually think about your surroundings and how you were going to do your contract cleanly.

Getting a Silent Assassin rating always felt good.

My problem with the games was the AI. I would get spotted or alerted when I'm nowhere near a bad guy. That's what was frustrating for me.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I havent played hitman since the second one, but god damn it stop it with all the fucking reboots! Damn it!

Why in the world do developers/publishers believe that a "reboot" is a good thing for any IP in any medium. If your IP isnt selling enough just make a new fucking IP. If it is still poplular then keep what made that franchise great and expand on the idea. I don't see how it helps anyone for you to take an IP and rip everything that makes it unique out. Oh sure change can sometimes be needed but not when you change it to be exactly like every other thing out there. Hell this type of thing doesnt even deserve the word change. More like deconstructing without any effort to reconstruct. I still havent seen a single movie or game worth existing that calls itself a "reboot" and i dont see that changing any time soon. Why is this trend so popular with businesses and why are so many people buying into this crap? Why? Why why why why why!?

Ugh. Its true I fell off the wagon on this franchise, but doing crap like this is the surest way to make sure I never come back.

squ

Neo Member
Well, at least the pic is fake
Batman_and_Nemesis___DC_Comics_by_adonihs.jpg

Dick Laurent said:
a reboot is warranted in this case though. almost none of the people that made the hitman games are working for IOI anymore.
Well that's a quite big cause for concern...

On the flipside I'm totally into the idea of what old IOI is doing. Could be the thing to start caring about if EA ends up ruining Battlefield. Letting users give feedback during a game's development is dangerous business though.

kamspy

Polk said:
Well to be honest, gunplay in Hitman was always shit. So if they want to change it, cover based mechanic isn't that bad (just not too hitman-y).

So make it a new IP. Publishers recent trend of yanking characters from one genre to another (Splinter Cell conviction) is annoying. I like Conviction a lot. It's just not a new Splinter Cell game, and because it exists, I won't ever get a new Splinter Cell game. Best scenario would have been to *gasp* make the Conviction gameplay into a new, awesome IP -and- make a new Splinter Cell game.

You can apply all that to this Hitman situation. Or at least the direction it seems to be going.

kamspy said:
So make it a new IP. Publishers recent trend of yanking characters from one genre to another (Splinter Cell conviction) is annoying. I like Conviction a lot. It's just not a new Splinter Cell game, and because it exists, I won't ever get a new Splinter Cell game. Best scenario would have been to *gasp* make the Conviction gameplay into a new, awesome IP -and- make a new Splinter Cell game.

You can apply all that to this Hitman situation. Or at least the direction it seems to be going.

I think people are reading into that quote wrong. The way I read it is that INBETWEEN the open missions there will be shooter based levels. Maybe kind of tutorials or training missions so that you master the new cover/shooting mechanics? But I don't get from reading that quote that they are turning it into a Gears clone.

Ninja Scooter said:
I think people are reading into that quote wrong. The way I read it is that INBETWEEN the open missions there will be shooter based levels. Maybe kind of tutorials or training missions so that you master the new cover/shooting mechanics? But I don't get from reading that quote that they are turning it into a Gears clone.

But if they actually read the thing, they couldn't jump to conclusions and go bat shit about IOI destroying the IP.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the real lesson learned from this gen is that unless you're the best, you're basically dead. The market for B-tier games this gen has entirely dried up, and everyone is rushing towards what they perceive as the sweet spot for safety. And everyone is getting burned.

Hitman was pretty unique. In its latest iteration, I thought it was right in that zone of "hardcore but not too hardcore" to have mass appeal. The earlier games were too difficult and the controls and systems were too obscure, but Blood Money had a giant meter telling you if you were fucking up that was really very sensitive.

47 doesn't need cover. He shouldn't be shooting. Well, more than 1-2 people per level.

Ugh... the gameplay changes sound like they're missing the point of the franchise.

But at least David Bateson is still on board (and hopefully Jesper Kyd)... I might be okay with this. And new 47 still looks roughly like old 47, so at least they aren't going DmC on our asses.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dick Laurent said:
a reboot is warranted in this case though. almost none of the people that made the hitman games are working for IOI anymore. take a look, http://www.reto.dk/retoweb/ -- company info has a list of names. that's almost all programmers and artists from the hitman team

codename 47 http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hitman-codename-47/credits
silent assassin http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hitman-2-silent-assassin/credits
contracts http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hitman-contracts/credits
blood money http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hitman-blood-money/credits

the director on blood money also isn't with IOI anymore either. hitman5 was probably scheduled to be released in 2008, the previous games came out 2000 2002 2004 and 2006. but all the retomoto people left IOI in 2008.

retomoto are currently working on a battlefield style ww2 team shooter, with huge levels vehicles and capture points. it's launched and set up from a quite nice web interface, although I can't tell in the current alpha build on the server if the game will turn out good in the end. but it probably will considering the experience this team has got. it's still really early. here's the site for it http://www.heroesandgenerals.com/landing/index.php

so the series is dead ( if there is a new new sequel/reboot it will be done by new guys/K&L2 guys and we know who was that for many IP when they changed the original devs ) oh well , it was a good series , RIP Hitman , I'll always remember you.

spats

Phew, looked too horrible to be official.

The first Hitman was absolutely amazing, the series deserves a good new entry.

Totobeni said:
so the series is dead ( if there is a new new sequel/reboot it will be done by new guys/K&L2 guys and we know who was that for many IP when they changed the original devs ) oh well , it was a good series , RIP Hitman , I'll always remember you.

If you wanted to, you could say the series died on 04 when the creative team walked out and formed Retomoto.

Xater

Y2Kev said:
But Blood Money was so good.

It was. IO did a great job at improving the formula steadily up until Blood Money. BM was pretty much the high point of the series and soooooo much fun.

Trigunner

Vinterbird said:
If you wanted to, you could say the series died on 04 when the creative team walked out and formed Retomoto.

I've been anticipating part 5 for a few years now, but didn't know the original team is gone...end of an era. :(

This has as much chance of being linked to the movie as my dad resurrecting and giving me a hug. Thank God that picture is bullshit and most likely most of that news.

I still don't have faith in Hitman 5 though. Fuck this gen.

Also it goes Blood Money> Contracts> Hitman 2. Hitman 2 was so amazing when I first played it I tried to ignore the horrible action levels. Recently I replayed them and Hitman 2 hasn't aged well while I gained a new liking for Contracts.

Mindlog

:lol

Reading the OP the first word that struck me was, 'Reboot.' I'm happy to be in such good company.

Good info, but depressing post, Dick.

Murder of Crows is still one of my favorite scenes. A crowded street in a video game???!

Forkball

At the end of Blood Money, you see 47 in this cool opium den in China. I was really hoping there would be a mission there in the sequel, but I guess a reboot means I won't get to play there. BOO!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
• Reboot the entire series and Agent 47

• The game also contains elements [when] 47 [is not] on assignments. These parts are more linear and are firearm-focused, cover, etc.
sometimes i wonder if my cynicism has transcended my consciousness and manifested itself as some foul, malevolent pyschokinetic force, enforcing its putrid will on aaa game producers the world over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom