• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: HBO's Last of Us will focus on climate change and rape culture

I think this is really stretching. In no way do women rule everything, Bran ends up ruling most of the kingdoms, the majority of the kingdom's individual rulers are men and John goes back to being in charge of the Free Folks and Watch.

I agree the writing definitely went downhill but there was lots of really dumb things in later seasons that had nothing to do with progressiveness.
A disabled man being put in charge of everything with no narrative justification isn’t progressive how?

But hey, I’m glad you didn’t notice it, because once you get that pattern recognition you realise how fucked up the media is increasingly getting, but regardless of you noticing it, it is there.

If you fancy looking up yet another reason to be frustrated by how much of a cluster fuck that show became over the last 3 series, there’s plenty of sites that catalogued this shit.

hyperbertha

You didn’t notice the weird shift in later series to women being in charge of everything, male characters becoming increasingly dumb and weak willed, identitarian views on anyone not white seeing white people as instinctively hating them, general lack of depth and subtlety in characters that had before hand been subtle, intelligent manipulators with personal interests instead of vague one dimensional archetypes?

Don’t get me wrong, it was no where near as brazen as it is these days, and far from the biggest reason the show shat itself to death in the final series, but I mean Aria’s super human murder spree and completely unearned killing of the Night King alone kind of scream progressive politics getting prioritised over good writing.
The main reason things got bad is they no longer had Martin's writing to work with. The series has always had strong females from the start. We don't really know if their decisions in season 8 came from an agenda or just bad writing really. If they did have an agenda it was so super subtle and I wouldn't attribute that kind of subtlety to the showrunners honestly.

Well rape wouldl be a topic in the apocalypse. But climate change lol?

Other topics in post apocalyptic settings include cannibalism, survival, starvation etc...

(Not from you) given it's only a rumour, and not sure why, but there's a lot of whining about common themes which regularly pop up in post apocalyptic tv/movies (The Walking dead, 28 days later etc)...

Why not climate change, I can't recall if it's been done before in TV show/movie - I don't see a problem with going with a slightly different angle.

The main reason things got bad is they no longer had Martin's writing to work with. The series has always had strong females from the start. We don't really know if their decisions in season 8 came from an agenda or just bad writing really. If they did have an agenda it was so super subtle and I wouldn't attribute that kind of subtlety to the showrunners honestly.
It was in no way subtle, just not as overt as it is has increasingly become since. Again, you didn’t notice it, so you lucked out, but I and a hell of a lot of other people did.

But yes, the main issue was the lack of writing ability once the source material ran out, but I absolutely see the inability to keep far left political ideology out of the decision making process as a symptom of that bad writing.

Also Martin didn’t write Strong Female Characters, he had well written characters, many of whom happened to be women. There is a massive difference.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Well rape wouldl be a topic in the apocalypse. But climate change lol?
See the situation now?
With lockdown in the world, the air is way less polluted, animals are coming in town etc...
Could be the subject.
In the first game, nature reclaimed her right.
Maybe it will be their approach in the subject (classic but not too much political)

Nymphae

Banned
Do you think Ellen Page has been approached to play Ellie yet?

People were literally trying to get her to replace Ellen (who looks like fucking Nosfaratu)

AfIr8mx.png

Barnabot

“It was the action of the patriarchy — or rather ‘white men’ — that inadvertently destroyed the society they had built with the Cordyceps Brain Infection.”

According to the insider the CBI was made by the U.S. government but evolved too quickly for them to control and ‘accidentally’ leaked into the environment.
“Global warming caused the man-made CBI virus to rapidly evolve. It is actually naturally evolving to purify the air of carbon. This will be revealed through small flashbacks scenes which will gradually reveal more information as the series draws nearer to the finale.”

There is still a lot of unanswered questions about CBI and, according to recent The Last of Us Part II plot leaks, it appears as though they will not be answered in the game.
If the leaks are real then The Last of Us Part II is actually about toxic masculinity, religion, and racism. The game is said to be divisive because of its very strong LGBTQ message… and this is something the insider claims will also be a strong part of the HBO series.

Ok i got a bingo card here.

let me add this to that fanfic: the virus transforms anything into a white man with a rampant urge to rape everything he sees 'cause "white man" . while he chases his victims he starts to bully and mispronouncing and also throwing racial slurs at them first in order the opress and weaken their asses so they became their meat more easily. 10/10 show
/s

"but the virus is not supposed to work like that...". i know just don't play logic here or else that tv series would never come to a realization in the first place.

I see rape culture as a topic. With the boundaries of society breaking down that kind of violence is sure to skyrocket. A good way to explore violent tendencies that are detached from a simple fight for survival. Most post-apocalyptic media just go the tired old "they do what they have to do to survive" and "look what evil humans do when there are no rules" roads. If you ask me it would be way more interesting to look at the depravity on a human level and from a human perspective.
Edit: I guess Westworld did that already to an extent. So they would have to offer something new.

I don't know how climate change can play a role, considering that civilization has collapsed like 4-5 decades ago by the time this is taking place and I honestly don't think these people would know anything about climate change.
And considering we quit polluting cold turkey(in the world of TLoU), the effects of climate change in this fictional world wouldn't be significant compared to the other shit going on in this world.

But generally, I am all for these kinds of topics in video games.

Last edited:

Woopah

A disabled man being put in charge of everything with no narrative justification isn’t progressive how?

But hey, I’m glad you didn’t notice it, because once you get that pattern recognition you realise how fucked up the media is increasingly getting, but regardless of you noticing it, it is there.

If you fancy looking up yet another reason to be frustrated by how much of a cluster fuck that show became over the last 3 series, there’s plenty of sites that catalogued this shit.

Bran being made King was pretty stupid and definitely bad writing. And it's the writing which is at fault.

Brienne, Bran, Arya and Tyrion can all be seen as progressive characters and there was no issues with that. How was Bran becoming king any more progressive then Brienne being one of the best fighters in the series or Tyrion being so important?

It was the quality of writing that changed not the politics. Also what did you mean by women running everything?

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Bran being made King was pretty stupid and definitely bad writing. And it's the writing which is at fault.

Brienne, Bran, Arya and Tyrion can all be seen as progressive characters and there was no issues with that. How was Bran becoming king any more progressive then Brienne being one of the best fighters in the series or Tyrion being so important?

It was the quality of writing that changed not the politics.
Why are you quoting me on this one? My question has nothing to do with your answer

GeorgPrime

Banned
According to an insider, HBO's upcoming Last of Us series will adress political issues like the climate change, problematic white men and rape culture.

wR2pLwd.jpg

Ellie would be the protagonist in a heavily female focused plot while men will mostly play antagonists.

j9cJH2x.png

Credibility-wise: Ofcourse no official statement is made but in this day and age everything is in danger to be politicized to a certain extent.

What do you think gaffers and most importantly, do you think the game itself will be used as a tool for a political message?

Link: http://archive.is/BI2Bi

They should just copy and paste the story from the game.... now they come up with that bullshit and if it fails they will blame videogame quality of tv shows

wolywood

I thought Watchmen not getting a second season has less to do with it being "too woke" than Lindelof not wanting to return.

Doom85

You didn’t notice the weird shift in later series to women being in charge of everything, male characters becoming increasingly dumb and weak willed, identitarian views on anyone not white seeing white people as instinctively hating them, general lack of depth and subtlety in characters that had before hand been subtle, intelligent manipulators with personal interests instead of vague one dimensional archetypes?

Don’t get me wrong, it was no where near as brazen as it is these days, and far from the biggest reason the show shat itself to death in the final series, but I mean Aria’s super human murder spree and completely unearned killing of the Night King alone kind of scream progressive politics getting prioritised over good writing.

Seems extremely flimsy given what they ultimately did with Daenerys, not to mention the lame conclusion to Cersei's story. Also Missandei's ending was about as depressing as one could get:
someone who was a slave since childhood still died in chains at the end of it
Not to mention
Bran gets to rule Westeros based on Tyrion's argument that Bran has the best story (WTF?) when I think almost every viewer would agree that Jon, Arya, and Sansa all had better stories. Not to mention while Jamie (randomly) becomes a piece of shit again at the end, Brienne chooses to have his legacy focused on all the good he did, doesn't exactly scream "anti-men" given such a personal betrayal was still forgiven. Oh, and the writers seem to not even know what to do with Yara Greyjoy at the end.

Season 8 was a lot of things, but women being propped up over men? Don't know what season you saw.

In a post-apocalyptic setting, climate change stuff makes sense. As far as the rape culture commentary, all I can think of is just the standard “lawless men running wild as the world ends” stuff we’ve seen in many other similar projects.

Ehhh, I mean, I want it to be good. Hopefully it’s okay

Counterpoint: Little Big Lies is about women, toxic masculinity and rape and that was a great series. The only reason I don't see it coming back for season 3 is because it looks like they wrote themselves into a corner in season 2.

Last edited:
In a post-apocalyptic setting, climate change stuff makes sense. As far as the rape culture commentary, all I can think of is just the standard “lawless men running wild as the world ends” stuff we’ve seen in many other similar projects.

Ehhh, I mean, I want it to be good. Hopefully it’s okay

I find it interesting , firstly, the reactions considering it's only a rumour, and secondly some of the rumoured themes are common place in post apocalyptic tv/movies.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Naughty Dog and HBO two companys that continually put out quality content.

No need to be worried at this point tbh. (Remember all The Witcher TV show early concern threads?).

Have you watched any of HBOs latest programming? Honestly...

Their two major series from last year Watchmen and Euphoria.

Euphoria is an entire season of white male bad rapist, lesbian drug abuser with transfriend good.

LordKasual

Banned
This is a really baity way of describing this show. It's post-apocalyptic and one of the main characters in a young girl.

It's gonna be about as much "About Rape Culture" and "Climate Change" as Game of Thrones, which literally had people getting raped/murdered/sold left and right and the entire overarcing narrative was humans fighting amongst themselves while ignoring the literal ice age coming from the north to kill them all.

It's so easy to rile some of you up....just a few liberal keywords in an article and suddenly the sky is falling lol

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
I thought The Last of Us was about surviving, dealing with loss and holding onto whatever little hope you have in a world devoid of it.
It is for the people playing the actual game.

But when the people who made the game discuss it with the media, they smell their own farts and talk about how deep and progressive they are. After all, they need to end up "on the right side of history. "

Top Bottom